Is Muslim Mentality Psychologically Disordered?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are sick people in every religion...sometimes the Falwell types here in the United States scare the bee Jesus out of me.

those who's beliefs are not in majority/power (*whichever comes first) are considered as mentally disordered. Majority/power is everything.

We had a babysitter who was a muslim, for instance. She was very obcessive.
So maybe she has a mental illness and would be obsessive compulsive regardless? I taught a med student that has OCD and he wasn't religous and ended up doing just fine.

Also, I know a Baptist who, during a conversation about religion with her brother, ran from the room covering her ears with her hands and repeating na na na na na na na .. just so she wouldn't accidentally hear something that may make her think wrong thoughts.... Ooooo wrong thoughts. Christ, I couldn't even image living a life where I worried about thinking wrong thoughts. THAT sort of internal stress could perhaps cause an underlying mental illness to come to the surface.

Sad really,

Michael

The posted pictures are truely disturbing!!!! Children should not be taught hatred and death.

One thing, the ritual being depicted is a Shia ritual commorating the murder of one of the groups founders. After the death of Mohamad there was a power struggle, hence the split of the two Muslim sects Shia and Sunni. Sunni is the majority sect.

Its the commemoration of the day of Ashura; Muslims fast on that day after the Prophet's tradition, when he decided that we should fast alongwith the Jews, who commemorate that day as the day they were released from Egypt. The Shiites mourn the death of Husain, which coincidentally also occurred on that day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashura

Last edited:
The way she connected those things with her religion. For example, she would practically freak out if I saw her with her hair not covered...

Its not freaky, it would be akin to having a Western woman walked in on, while something she is used to covering is uncovered (I'm not sure what applies here); shame, after all, is relative.

On a related note, when my male cousin from Pakistan visited us, he was very embarrassed to be caught changing his shirt (even though he was wearing a vest); while all of us are pretty comfortable in minimal clothing. Its a cultural difference rather than a religious one.

Last edited:
Huuuummm... well, I agree that the problem is primarily in terms of extremism not only on muslims but on any religion. But here's the caveat- religions are, officially, extremists. If you follow everything that is in the Q'uran, or in the Bible, or in the Torah or whatever, you will be killing babies and stoning to death people just for being gay. The key is the degree to which people follow the religion. For instance, Muslims that pray 5-10 times a day are more likely to develop some kind of Obcessive Compulsive Disorder then one that, instead, see the reasoning behind it and refrain to pray 5-10 times a day and, instead, learn the lesson that the prayers teach (whatever that is. For instance, in this case the lesson could be dedication or whatever POSITIVE lesson you can learn from it the keywords being POSITIVE and HEALTHY.)

Actually the reverse is true, those who are really educated and devout will be more tolerant than those who just mouth scriptures but aren't really religious.

Thanks SAM

Actually the reverse is true, those who are really educated and devout will be more tolerant than those who just mouth scriptures but aren't really religious.

Thanks SAM, I think the same could be said of all beliefs and religions!

Thanks SAM, I think the same could be said of all beliefs and religions!

Oh yes, I have friends of all religious beliefs (and disbeliefs) and I see no difference between them. In fact, the truly religious are also more tolerant of other religions, since it is all a part of God and his creation to them.

A contradiction of terms.

Funny how you claim it is the 'educated' who strap bombs to themselves. :rolleyes:

Thats why I said educated and devout; by educated, I mean educated in their religion, though conventional education also helps. :)

Is there contradictory evidence indicating that it is NOT the educated and secular who are strapping bombs to themselves?

Perhaps you could add your contributions here.

Thats why I said educated and devout; by educated, I mean educated in their religion, though conventional education also helps.

As I said, that is a contradiction in terms. One cannot be "educated" in a fantasy. Can one educate themselves in the tooth fairy?

As I said, that is a contradiction in terms. One cannot be "educated" in a fantasy. Can one educate themselves in the tooth fairy?

Some people cannot educate themselves at all, inspite of intense schooling. :shrug:

Some people cannot educate themselves at all, inspite of intense schooling. :shrug:

Ah, predictable as usual. Switch to ad hom when there's nothing else to say.

You are a shining example to us all, sam. :)

yes actualy you can study mythology and folklore, my friend studies greek mythology, architecture and history.

so in short yes you can be educated in fantasy. :)

peace.

you did cop out of the question he asked though.

peace.

Its an old groove, do I talk of insubstantial things when I educate myself in the religion which determines my philosophy and outlook on life? Do you consider my behaviour and outlook (insubstantial as it is) to be a minor part of me? Or of my relationships with and treatment of others? Can that be quantified and measured in any empirical way? Does my inability to demonstrate its importance make it less significant to me?

I am a spiritual person, whether you believe it or not, really does not change the way I feel about it.:)

The tooth fairy is hardly the same thing.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back