Why Hell?

Yeah, right. More like Christians can dish it out but they can't take it. Gays are attacked by Christians A LOT. In fact they attack a lot of folks they don't see as "holy". Now you want to bellyache that it's done to you guys?
doesn't make it right.

I already have a good idea what Lori's thoughts are on the following- but would also like to hear from other Christians on the below as well.

Why do you believe that God feels there is a need to torture people in hell for eternity- for things that they had done on earth in a body that makes it very easy for them to sin in the first place?

Theres no torture in hell. An ever increasing number of denominations now hold that references to fire in the NT are symbolic. The lake of fire in Revelation is clearly symbolic, since Hell itself is thrown into it, and Jesus' words regarding Gehenna as a place where fire burns forever refer to a small valley, called Gehenna, just outside of Jerusalem, where people would throw trash and the bodies of criminals to be burned.

Why is there a chance for repentance on earth but not in the afterlife?

There is repentance in the afterlife. Peter says that after His crucifixion, Jesus went and preached to the souls in prison, who were disobedient. Why would he bother preaching tot hem if they couldn't repent?

Why do you believe God set it up for anyone to go to hell at all?

Because they'd just screw it up for everyone else. The commandments of God are designed to create harmony within a community. I have a friend who doesn't believe for this very reason. It's much more likely that these "commandments" are a social construct created when people realized that killing, lying, cheating, and stealing just pissed everyone off, so they shouldn't do it.

Heaven is only heaven because of the obedience of those who live there to these pro-social principals. It you let in liars and thieves, it would disrupt the harmony.

Why not just learn lessons on earth and gain growth from them, if one so chooses- instead of punishing a person for an eternity for having done things that might go against his "commands"? I mean why not just live and let live?

There is no punishment besides your own feeling of guilt or regret. Not only must he be merciful to the wicked, but he must be just to the righteous, too.

What about any of this/hell seems like unconditional love to you? Could you think of an alternative other than hell? If so what?

He does love the wicked, but he has to be fair to everyone, not just the wicked. That means he has to let the righteous live as peacefully as they are able without the wicked screwing it up and making it just like our current world. I'm sure he'd create a separate paradise for them except they'd just screw it up anyway.

Would you set it up for your child to live in a closet and torture them in a painful manner for not obeying or believing as you'd want them to? Don't you feel that is what God has done by setting it up for others to go to hell?

No, as I said above, I think thats a misunderstanding of scripture. Probably popularized by gloom-and-doom preachers trying to terrify people into paying them tithing. There is no Biblical reason to believe that Hell is anywhere near as terrible as it is commonly conceived.

I'd like to hear an answer other than, "Well because he's God he can do these things" Okay, so the Biblical God has the power to do those things--but why would a loving God use such barbaric, unloving, brutal ways and why are those ways okay to you? How do you justify them?

I don't think they're ok, and as I've said above, I don't think He'd think its ok either.

If you wouldn't want to be raised by someone like that, marry someone like that, vote for a president who is like that then why would you believe and dedicate your life to a God like that?

I dont

So I guess heaven is symbolic too? Or the entire afterlife thing might be symbolic? Or hell, Jesus didn't exist, everything was just allegorical? How do you infer which part is symbolic and which is not?

So I guess heaven is symbolic too? Or the entire afterlife thing might be symbolic? Or hell, Jesus didn't exist, everything was just allegorical? How do you infer which part is symbolic and which is not?

I guess study 2000-year-old common metaphors and use of symbolism in the popular culture of Judea?

Conversely you might argue about the meaning endlessly on discussion forums...:shrug:

Cifo asked:
as your brain produces it's last conscious thought, will you consider yourself proud of gathering all the toys you can't take with you, or proud of all the things you've done that now are totally worthless,

The things I do now are totally worthless, the junk I collect now is just extraneous detritus.
The point of life is life.
There is no profound meaning to the suffering, joy, terror and heartbreak.
Whatever delusion gets us to the end of it without turning us all into axe murderers is fine with me.

Last edited:
Theres no torture in hell. ... There is no punishment

A warning in Luke 16 from Christ:
There was a rich man who was clothed in purple and fine linen and who feasted sumptuously every day. And at his gate was laid a poor man named Lazarus, covered with sores, who desired to be fed with what fell from the rich man’s table. Moreover, even the dogs came and licked his sores.

The poor man died and was carried by the angels to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried, and in Hades, being in torment, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham far off and Lazarus at his side.

And he called out, "Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus to dip the end of his finger in water and cool my tongue, for I am in anguish in this flame." But Abraham said, "Child, remember that you in your lifetime received your good things, and Lazarus in like manner bad things; but now he is comforted here, and you are in anguish. And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, in order that those who would pass from here to you may not be able, and none may cross from there to us."

And he said, "Then I beg you, father, to send him to my father’s house — for I have five brothers — so that he may warn them, lest they also come into this place of torment." But Abraham said, "They have Moses and the Prophets; let them hear them."

And he said, "No, father Abraham, but if someone goes to them from the dead, they will repent." He said to him, "If they do not hear Moses and the Prophets, neither will they be convinced if someone should rise from the dead."

Christ didnt come up with that parable. He borrowed it from the Gemara Babylonicum. It was an old story that the Jews were already familiar with. Jesus used it to prove a point about loving God and neighbors, not about the nature of the afterlife. By His use of the parable, He didn't sanction the doctrine of fire and torment in Hell, He was just using an idea already familiar to his listeners to teach them something, as any good teacher would do.

If, by borrowing pagan doctrine, one says that He sanctioned it as truth, than we must also say that he taught that Mammon, the God of Riches is a real God. After all, Jesus said, "Ye cannot serve God and Mammon." So it's clear that just because he borrows an idea from heathens doesn't mean He thinks its true. Its just a teaching tool.

Common sense. The same reason we know that there won't be a literal giant beast with seven heads and ten horns, which are ten kings (that is, that this beast will have ten prominent, male, world leaders growing out of his heads) which will rise up out of the ocean and chase around a pregnant lady through a forest. It's a symbol. In a Book so full of metaphors and symbols, how do you infer that this single image is literal? Even if it is literal, the lake of fire and brimstone cant be Hell because Hell is thrown into it.

When Jesus spoke of Hell, He never used thee words sheol, hades, or tartarus, like other writers did. He invariable used the word Gehenna, which is not Hell, it was a flaming trash heap outside of Jerusalem where people threw the bodies of criminals and heretics to be burned. The fire there was never quenched, day and night, and there were always worms feeding on the bodies, and the smoke ascended up forever and ever. He uses this place to represent Hell not because hell is full of worms and fire, but because it was easily the most morally and physically repugnant image with which a jew would be acquainted. For example, just because He says the Kingdom of heaven is like a treasure buried in a field (Matt 13:44) doesn't mean you can get there by digging. Just because he says its like a pearl doesnt mean you can fit in it your pocket. And just because he says its like a fish net doesn't mean he's going to drag you in against your will and club you to death. And just beecause he says Hell is like Gehenna doesnt mean its full of fire and worms.

Jesus' teachings, just like Revelation, are full of symbols, how do you infer that this one image is literal? I hope it's not just because some preacher is screaming at you about it to scare you into paying him tithing.

Last edited:
Common sense. The same reason we know that there won't be a literal giant beast with seven heads and ten horns, which are ten kings (that is, that this beast will have ten prominent, male, world leaders growing out of his heads) which will rise up out of the ocean and chase around a pregnant lady through a forest. It's a symbol. In a Book so full of metaphors and symbols, how do you infer that this single image is literal? Even if it is literal, the lake of fire and brimstone cant be Hell because Hell is thrown into it.

<snip>

Common sense also tells that there is no afterlife. So you agree that part is metaphorical right?

Common sense also tells that there is no afterlife. So you agree that part is metaphorical right?

No. that's not common sense at all. Theists and atheists both make silly assumptions. If we were being truly logical, we'd all be agnostic.

I am a theist though, and a christian, for reasons that aren't really relevant here.

He invariable used the word Gehenna, which is not Hell, it was a flaming trash heap outside of Jerusalem where people threw the bodies of criminals and heretics to be burned. The fire there was never quenched, day and night, and there were always worms feeding on the bodies
Fireproof worms? :shrug:

No. that's not common sense at all.
How not? We have no evidence of an afterlife. No everyday experience with one. Thus: common sense tells us there isn't one.

Theists and atheists both make silly assumptions. If we were being truly logical, we'd all be agnostic.
Go away and learn what "agnostic means".

Fireproof worms? :shrug:

If jesus' words are to be taken literally, then they're immortal fireproof worms

How not? We have no evidence of an afterlife. No everyday experience with one. Thus: common sense tells us there isn't one.

The absence of evidence is debatable, but even if there was none, Common sense says absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. You can't say there is no evidence, therefore it does not exist, unless there was evidence to the contrary. You can only say we have no evidence, therefore we don't know if it exists. Agnostic, not atheist.

Go away and learn what "agnostic means".

A person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God.

Last edited:
Common sense says absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
Common sense says if we don't encounter we can dismiss it.

A person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God.
Nearly right. An agnostic says nothing can be known about the nature of god. One can believe (or not believe) in him, but still be agnostic.

What if he is? We dn't know.
what if what we don't know is already known? (do we still not know it?)
'eureka' moments can fall into this, you had the information right there all along, then out of nowhere it just clicks..

Presumably, if he is and we do find that out then agnostics (and atheists) will [mostly] disappear.

no..just relabeled..

Back