Why Hell?

At the time the Bible was written, people tended to respect a ruler that could be barbarous in their wrath. Things have changed and it doesn't seem very fair anymore. The sooner we reject this miserable ideology the better.

Walk in my neck of the woods and say that! :D (bible belt)

Last edited:
Tiassa,

Thank you for your reply! I guess I should have included hearing non-believers thoughts as well! :)

Seriously, a lot of your paragraphs began by apologizing for not being able to provide an answer from the Christian faith as you are an infidel-BUT then you followed with what you felt how some Christians might answer based upon your readings. Thank you for that and the resources. I have read some and have more to read but I do appreciate your post.

I have heard this from someone but when the Bible speaks of "eternal torment" how can one be eternally tormented if the soul ceases to exist?

I now wished I would have included hearing thoughts from non-believers as well! You've given thought out answers on how you feel some Christians might answer, If you'd like to add your own thoughts from your perspective I'd love to hear them. :)

I might be mistaken, but didn't Tiassa come from a Catholic upbringing. If so, he might be able to shine more light on this topic. Forgive if I'm wrong. It just seems to me that you once mentioned it.

Hmm, as I said, I'm not equipped with the knowledge to answer. I think your points are very good. I just don't think we have anybody on board who can give you good answers...and I'm certain that someone has good answers. We simply don't have anybody who can give you a thoughtful response.

Wow! While I mean you no disrespect at all, you're kind of going on that you know absolutely nobody at Sciforums can give a thoughtful response? *takes a step back away from you to avoid items being chucked at you by others*
Joking (about the stepping back part) :p

God seems to have placed us in a pressure cooker...intentionally. That's how I would view it. Why? Is there something to be gained from the hardships of life? I'm a better person because of my experiences. Even though I've grown further from religion because of my history, I'm certain that many people have grown closer to god because of theirs.

I have no beef with learning hard lessons in life. What I have a problem with is the idea that a loving God would create a hell for us. Would we do this to children? No! To our loved ones? No!
There could be a rationalization for god's purpose, and that might be understood only by someone who believes in god. We may be out of our depth here simply because we don't have faith and understanding.

I've been on both sides of the fence
I could rationalize the suffering by saying we are immortal in essence, and that our pain is relative to our existence on Earth. As a consequence, temporary violence and blood sacrifice is minuscule when measured against an eternity, and may be a measure of our faith and love.

Would it be okay for a second if someone beat up your wife, child, grandchildren (if you have any, not sure you're old enough to so please do not take offense :) ) Then, too, if God is capable of anything then he is capable of finding a way without violence. I also think he sets a bad example period (violence, unnecessary killings, lying in order to win a war...This God looks more like Hitler than he does a loving God)

Don't get me wrong, I'm trying to make sense of it, too.

Hey, that's cool. I get what you mean.

There are some people with whom I wouldn't want to live. Rather than send them to hell, I might give them an option to live elsewhere. That would be the compassionate thing to do.

Yes, that is certainly a better option than eternal torment

I might be mistaken, but didn't Tiassa come from a Catholic upbringing. If so, he might be able to shine more light on this topic. Forgive if I'm wrong. It just seems to me that you once mentioned it.

:bugeye: that I once mentioned it or Tiassa once mentioned it?

I have an older brother who studied the bible and went to school in that effort. I'll call him and see if he's willing to endure you unfaithful heathens by visiting this forum. I can't make any promises, but I will try.

There is no such thing as hell. "The wages of sin is death." "As for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all."

I have an older brother who studied the bible and went to school in that effort. I'll call him and see if he's willing to endure you unfaithful heathens by visiting this forum. I can't make any promises, but I will try.

A religious version of you? :eek:

This and That

Bowser said:

I was raised as a "holiday" Lutheran; that is, Christmas Eve, Easter, and so forth, but was not a regular churchgoer. I am confirmed to, I believe, the ELCA, and shortly thereafter went to a Jesuit high school—a desperate move to get away from a (public) school community I loathed.

It took years to "undo the damage" so that I didn't abjectly hate Christianity. You probably encountered part of that transition some years ago when we had our rounds about Measure 9, the Oregon Citizens' Alliance, and other such issues.

• • •​

Heart said:

Seriously, a lot of your paragraphs began by apologizing for not being able to provide an answer from the Christian faith as you are an infidel ....

Oh, I'm just covering my ass on that point.

Thank you for your kind words, of course.

I have heard this from someone but when the Bible speaks of "eternal torment" how can one be eternally tormented if the soul ceases to exist?

In truth, I have no idea. You might have been around during the period when I encountered that argument, though I might have you mistaken for someone else.

But, suffice to say, I'm pretty sure that if I dig around in the archives, I can find the post, and I'm pretty sure I know whose name is on it. (Definitely not you, I should note.)

As such, it might have been a response to questions similar to those you've asked in this thread.

(Oh, right, I would be remiss to fail noting Gmilam's response at #28, as that's a component of the explanation I recall.)

I now wished I would have included hearing thoughts from non-believers as well! You've given thought out answers on how you feel some Christians might answer, If you'd like to add your own thoughts from your perspective I'd love to hear them.

Thank you so kindly. As you can probably guess, I'm a bit judgmental about certain conundra of faith. This is largely because I hold the opinion that our beliefs can affect other people's lives.

For instance, I can say with comfort that I've known plenty of Quakers who would shrug and respond to your questions, "Well, that's part of the mystery of God, and our faith in Him." Those would not tell you that the questions are right or wrong; only that they defy specific answers.

And, in truth, that's the reply that unsettles me the least. I cannot account for Southern Baptists, Seventh-Day Adventists, nondenominational Christianity, televangelism, ad infinitum. And if I try, it often sounds sarcastic or embittered. For instance, the Catholics in school always offered answers that worked well enough if they stayed isolated in a rhetorical bubble, but didn't always work and play well with other points of faith when incorporated into a larger, functional scheme. So when I recite their answers, on such occasions that I can remember them precisely enough, it always sounds like my tongue is firmly planted in my cheek, or my head firmly fixed in my ass.

A religious version of you? :eek:

He's actually pretty mild--doesn't preach or anything. I'm not certain where his convictions sit these days, but he was very much dedicated to it at one time.

These religion forums always seem to be lopsided and stagnant, because there's no counterpoint in the discussions. I want variety.

QUOTE=heart;2773716]I already have a good idea what Lori's thoughts are on the following- but would also like to hear from other Christians on the below as well.

Why do you believe that God feels there is a need to torture people in hell for eternity- for things that they had done on earth in a body that makes it very easy for them to sin in the first place?

This implies Hell exists inside of normal spacetime, that it is a physical place. I think though it's meant to be a metaphysical place and "eternity" might be an entirely different thing there.

As for the body thing, I'm sure we'd find new ways of "sinning" however we were built. The seven deadly sins are not all about bodies though - Averice, pride, jealousy etc.

Why is there a chance for repentance on earth but not in the afterlife?

Is this not what Purgatory was meant to be for?

Why do you believe God set it up for anyone to go to hell at all?

The bible suggests that Hell can be simply the absence of God. I could argue that we are already in such a place.

Why not just learn lessons on earth and gain growth from them, if one so chooses- instead of punishing a person for an eternity for having done things that might go against his "commands"? I mean why not just live and let live?

All authoritarian regimes have to stamp out all dissent or resistence quickly develops. A God cannot allow any challenges to his authority. That's why he sent Lucifer to hell in the first place.

What about any of this/hell seems like unconditional love to you? Could you think of an alternative other than hell? If so what?

If Gods' love was unconditional, he wouldn't need a Hell as he would be able to forgive unconditionally. This is not apparently the case however, and His love is certainly not unconditional.

An alternative would be a kind of spiritual university or college where "rough" souls would be cut and polished into shiny valuable ones.

Would you set it up for your child to live in a closet and torture them in a painful manner for not obeying or believing as you'd want them to? Don't you feel that is what God has done by setting it up for others to go to hell?

Judge not, lest you be judged. Usually any kind of misbehaviour in my experience is a symptom of unhappiness, in basic terms. It's better to treat the cause than the symptom.

I'd like to hear an answer other than, "Well because he's God he can do these things" Okay, so the Biblical God has the power to do those things--but why would a loving God use such barbaric, unloving, brutal ways and why are those ways okay to you? How do you justify them?

I don't. But in Biblical times Despots were often powerful people. Take Pharoh for example. He enslaved the Jews, but everybody took slaves back then. What made Pharoh so bad compared to the Romans who took slaves and made them fight each other to the death for fun, as gladiators?

If you wouldn't want to be raised by someone like that, marry someone like that, vote for a president who is like that then why would you believe and dedicate your life to a God like that?

If you were to live by the basic tenets of the bible, you should, on balance, live a good, healthy productive life compared to "Godless heathens". Many heathen societies were highly advanced however. The Greeks and the Romans were heathen by biblical standards until 2000 years or so ago.

Isn't the rejection of god considered a sin? Also, Lori, you make a lot of statements concerning your beliefs, but you seem to be short on rational. Can you explain why you believe the way you do?

in this regard, everyone is a sinner. so if what heart said in the op was true, we'd all end up in hell. the way i understand it, it's those of us who wish we weren't that get what we want...salvation. and as well those who are just fine with sin get to keep it.

i really just think that ultimately people get what they want. i want to be redeemed.

I already have a good idea what Lori's thoughts are on the following- but would also like to hear from other Christians on the below as well.

Why do you believe that God feels there is a need to torture people in hell for eternity- for things that they had done on earth in a body that makes it very easy for them to sin in the first place?

Why is there a chance for repentance on earth but not in the afterlife?

Why do you believe God set it up for anyone to go to hell at all?

Why not just learn lessons on earth and gain growth from them, if one so chooses- instead of punishing a person for an eternity for having done things that might go against his "commands"? I mean why not just live and let live?

What about any of this/hell seems like unconditional love to you? Could you think of an alternative other than hell? If so what?

Would you set it up for your child to live in a closet and torture them in a painful manner for not obeying or believing as you'd want them to? Don't you feel that is what God has done by setting it up for others to go to hell?

I'd like to hear an answer other than, "Well because he's God he can do these things" Okay, so the Biblical God has the power to do those things--but why would a loving God use such barbaric, unloving, brutal ways and why are those ways okay to you? How do you justify them?

If you wouldn't want to be raised by someone like that, marry someone like that, vote for a president who is like that then why would you believe and dedicate your life to a God like that?

I'm not a Christian, but the doctrine of eternal damnation (and related issues) is something I have taken interest in.

There is reason to believe that the notion of eternal damnation (hell without end) is a later interpretation, a matter of how some words were translated.

See:

It is a prevalent idea that the words "Eternal, Everlasting, Forever," etc., in the English Bible, signify endless duration. This essay aims to prove the popular impression erroneous. The inquiry will be pursued in a manner that shall be satisfactory to the scholar, and also enable the ordinary reader to apprehend the facts, so that both the learned and the unlearned may be able to see the subject in a light that shall relieve the Scriptures of seeming to teach a doctrine that blackens the character of God, and plunges a deadly sting into the believing heart.

The original Hebrew Bible was translated into Greek, by seventy scholars, and hence called "The Septuagint," B.C. 200-300,(1) and the Hebrew word Olam is, in almost all cases, translated AiónAiónios etc., (Aíwv, Aíwvios,) so that the two words may be regarded as synonymous with each other. In the New Testament the same wordsAión and its derivatives, are the original Greek of the English words,Eternal, Everlasting, Forever, etc.. So that when we ascertain the real meaning of Aión, we have settled the sense of those English words in which the doctrine of Endless Punishment is erroneously taught. It is not going to far to say that if the Greek Aión - Aiónios does not denote endless duration, then endless punishment is not taught in the Bible. We proceed to show that the sense of interminable duration does not reside in the word.

http://www.tentmaker.org/books/Aion_lim.html

A study devoted entirely to the use of the words for eternity in classical and Christian texts:

What is truly timeless? This book explores the language of eternity, and in particular two ancient Greek terms that may bear the sense of "eternal": aiônios and aïdios. This fascinating linguistic chronicle is marked by several milestones that correspond to the emergence of new perspectives on the nature of eternity. These milestones include the advent of Pre-Socratic physical speculation and the notion of limitless time in ancient philosophy, the major shift in orientation marked by Plato's idea of a timeless eternity, and the further development of Pre-Socratic insights by Epicurean and Stoic thinkers. From the biblical perspective, the intersection of Greek and Hebrew conceptions is reflected in Septuagint, as well as new inflections in popular terminology in the Hellenistic and Roman periods, and in the role of eternity in the theology of the New Testament. The profound cross-fertilization of Christian and classical philosophical conceptions in the works of the Church fathers and their contemporaries is explored, bringing the topic into the Patristic period. Christian theology in the first five centuries of the Common Era and its choice of vocabulary prove to be most revealing of larger doctrinal commitments. Above all debate raged on the question of eternal damnation versus the idea (deemed heretical in the Christian church after the formal condemnation of Origenism) of apocastastis or universal salvation -- that is, the belief that the wicked are not condemned to eternal punishment but will eventually be included among the saved. Terminology for "eternity" is often at the core of how these issues were debated, and helps to identify which writers inclined to one or the other view of the matter.
Ramelli, Ilaria, and David Konstan. Terms for Eternity: Aiônios and Aïdios in Classical and Christian Texts

What is perplexing to me is how come some people continue to believe in eternal damnation - how come they have such faith in the mainstream translations of the Bible and manistream Christian doctrines.

At the time the Bible was written, people tended to respect a ruler that could be barbarous in their wrath. Things have changed and it doesn't seem very fair anymore. The sooner we reject this miserable ideology the better.

We must also add considerations for translations of the Bible.
The history of the Bible, from its beginnings until today, is loaded with numerous text-critical issues.

What the current popular translations of the Bible say is not necessarily what the original meant.

Hell: Working Out the Bugs

Please, please, please don't make me actually quote Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man. Just pretend you read the book, and thus the counterpoint is perfectly obvious:

Zach Weiner, Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal, June 27, 2011

Just laugh. You know, it's supposed to be funny.

Never mnd.

Heart asked:
Could you think of an alternative other than hell? If so what?

Reincarnation.
You get to keep coming back until you stop screwing up.
That's why most Eastern religions consider it to be a bad thing.
Back again in the loony bin of the Galaxy *facepalm*.

Let's face it, according to the nonreligious, you live your life and then you take a permanent "dirt nap" ... no second chances, no rewards, no "passing over". And believers and nonbelievers alike know that "you can't take it with you". Then religions come along and offer alternatives.

I've been a Christian now for many years, and it's no mystery to me that eternal salvation or damnation is not the ultimate goal of our belief in Christianity because, according to our faith, we are not the ones who control those things. The ultimate goal is actually to change our behavior here on earth ... behavior control. Not "behavior control" in the natural sense (ie, how "I" choose to act and say), but perhaps in the "supernatural" sense of allowing a perfect force external to ourselves (ie, the Holy Spirit) to work through us. Because, as our faith tells us, we are imperfect and we can do no thing perfectly. We must seek help outside of ourselves.

When you look at it from this world's perspective, after you've passed over, the only things of you that will remain of you are what you've said and done. So, if you know about the only truly "good" way to act, and if you haven't followed it, then ... oh well ... perhaps no better than a dirt nap. A dirt nap means you will not be conscious of anything; but hell means you will be conscious of your failure.

For nonbelievers, this should be their only concern about hell ... that Christianity means you won't take a dirt nap, you will feel remorse/regret (to say the least).

Back