Does God make mistakes?

But that means you deem yourself knowledgeable of "reality"!
That is bold!
To use a bit of reflexive criticism....you stating 'that is bold' is bold, since it is a statement, essentially, of knowledge of reality - that there must be uncertainty, that we see it only through mist, or whatever. I think we are damned to boldness. Or blessed to it. Or both.

But perhaps it is not so bad.
Perhaps this is simply the "human condition", and shouldn't be taken so seriously.

It might be considered the "human condition" if people weren't indoctrinated into believing it.

And yes, it should be taken very seriously. Humanity and our very existence are at stake here.

you gotta respect anyone who can put up with all the bull humanity has to offer..

You see, Signal, this is the kind of thing religion does to people, they turn on humanity in favor of their gods. This is extremely dangerous and must end if we are to survive as a species.

It might be considered the "human condition" if people weren't indoctrinated into believing it.

Thing is, not all religious or spiritual people are indoctrinated or raised into it. Quite a lot chose it on their own free will, myself included.

Thing is, not all religious or spiritual people are indoctrinated or raised into it. Quite a lot chose it on their own free will, myself included.

That's nice. But, I doubt very much "a lot" chose it on their own free will.

There are some who were indoctrinated into their parents religion but decided to chose something else to suit their purposes, like Wiccan, for example. As well, there are few if any believers who ever admit to being indoctrinated. ;)

Yes, I've heard those claims before and they are as hard to believe as any other believers claims.
I've got one agnostic and one atheist parent. Really Q, do you think this does not happen?

I have a friend whose wife became and orthodox Jew, despite her parents being liberal atheist Jews. I can only assure you this is a real phenomenon out there.

I tried to find a reference. This was the best I could find so far....

http://books.google.se/books?id=NUq...atheist parents" "religious children"&f=false

Yes. And it seems to go back to "thinking myself good/worthy/competent enough to not constantly having to fear I will cause offense or otherwise do something wrong". Which I have so much trouble with.

"You can never hate yourself enough. You can never think yourself stupid enough. The best thing for you to do would be to just disappear. You should go to a dark corner and die of shame." - that is what I usually hear in my mind.
Anything that doesn't sound like that seems like a sacrilege, an act of vanity.

are your parents perfectionists?
do they have their own OC's? (obsesive compulsive tendencies)
how did they treat you when you screwed up?
its like i say..its easier to focus on the negative,especially when you grow up with it..it helps to be around ppl who can do positive.
and its getting harder and harder to find ppl who are positive,effectively positive that is..not bubbley,airhead,don't have a clue positive..

I've got one agnostic and one atheist parent. Really Q, do you think this does not happen?

I have a friend whose wife became and orthodox Jew, despite her parents being liberal atheist Jews. I can only assure you this is a real phenomenon out there.

I tried to find a reference. This was the best I could find so far....

http://books.google.se/books?id=NUq...atheist parents" "religious children"&f=false

My parents were both fundamental Christians, while I am a firm theist I hope I can remain a rational theist.By the way I despise fundamentalism in all its forms, they close the door to heaven when they are not even going there themselves

Back