Why isn't faith embarrasing?

As usual you contributed nothing at all to the discussion except a bottle of whine.

Which thread will you derail next, sam? Should we start a poll? What thread will sam use the despot argument next?

Which thread will you derail next, sam? Should we start a poll? What thread will sam use the despot argument next?

You're attempting to bully me to prove atheists are not despotic?

How very original of you. :cool:

The only reason faith is not embarrasing is tradition. Once lots of time passes by, even the stupidest, strangest religion becomes "accepted" or common. Look at Mormonism. Christianity was a Jewish cult 2000 years ago.
How freaky is Scientology? Nevertheless 500 years from now it will be just one of the many mainstream, generally accepted religions....(even the germans will love it) :)

The only reason faith is not embarrasing is tradition. Once lots of time passes by, even the stupidest, strangest religion becomes "accepted" or common. Look at Mormonism. Christianity was a Jewish cult 2000 years ago.
How freaky is Scientology? Nevertheless 500 years from now it will be just one of the many mainstream, generally accepted religions....(even the germans will love it) :)

Absolutely right. By then we shall have a Saint Thomas Cruise to pray to. Start collecting relics for future generations now !

Oh, come on. If those are the high points, I suggest you do a bit of research and, while you are about it, get rid of your PC

Are you saying you consider all those to be negligible incidents?

Why isn't faith embarrassing?

It is.

For example, I'm positive if SAM (or maybe also Kadark) worked with a friend who suddenly converted to become a serious Scientologist who who really really believed in Xemu the alien ruler of the "Galactic Confederacy" and went around telling everyone and try to get people to convert - she'd probably feel a little embarrassed for this friend and colleague.

Or suppose SAM is a close associate with a colleague who suddenly professes their intent to clone a humans. They have just completed the initiation rite in the Raëlian Church - baptism, the "transmission of the cellular plan" and are now happy to introduce everyone at work to the upper-level members in the Raëlian clergy known as Guides. Well SAM, are you going to stand behind this person? Support their delusion with your own job on the line?

According to Kadark Raëlians should profess their blind faith in advanced extraterrestrial race (Elohim) who created life on earth. Screw evolution - no no no it was the Elohim :bugeye:

It is when you lack faith in it.
- Faith in Elohim is embarrassing.
- Faith in Xemu is also embarrassing.
- For the same reasons faith in Mohammad being the "Last Prophet" and Jesus being part of a God are also embarrassing.

It is.

For example, I'm positive if SAM (or maybe also Kadark) worked with a friend who suddenly converted to become a serious Scientologist who who really really believed in Xemu the alien ruler of the "Galactic Confederacy" and went around telling everyone and try to get people to convert - she'd probably feel a little embarrassed for this friend and colleague.

Or suppose SAM is a close associate with a colleague who suddenly professes their intent to clone a humans. They have just completed the initiation rite in the Raëlian Church - baptism, the "transmission of the cellular plan" and are now happy to introduce everyone at work to the upper-level members in the Raëlian clergy known as Guides. Well SAM, are you going to stand behind this person? Support their delusion with your own job on the line?

According to Kadark Raëlians should profess their blind faith in advanced extraterrestrial race (Elohim) who created life on earth. Screw evolution - no no no it was the Elohim :bugeye:

It is.

Please do not presume to speak for me.

As long as the persons work is impeccable and rigorous, I could not give a rats ass what their beliefs are. When I am watching Mission Impossible, I do not wonder about Scientology. Anyone who does, or who thinks only one kind of narrow range of thinking is right, should opt out of this universe, where diversity is the key to relative perfection.

"If you're English you should be ashamed of yourself for pointing fingers. You idiots are arguably the cause of all the conflicts in the world today."

I thought I was alone in thinking that... :D

It is.

It is when you lack faith in it.
- Faith in Elohim is embarrassing.
- Faith in Xemu is also embarrassing.
- For the same reasons faith in Mohammad being the "Last Prophet" and Jesus being part of a God are also embarrassing.

You've got me worried. I just sent off $5k to become a Raelian bishop.

"If you're English you should be ashamed of yourself for pointing fingers. You idiots are arguably the cause of all the conflicts in the world today."

I thought I was alone in thinking that... :D

I am not English but I live in the UK. You are overlooking the fact that the UK sent the Pilgrim Fathers, those gentle, bible -reading folk, whose descendants spread peace, tolerance and goodwill throught the entire land. The Pilgrim Fathers didn't believe in evolution . They were interested in the Rock of Ages, not the age of rocks.

I personally would be more than embarrassed. I'd be worried. if someone I knew suddenly became very seriously about their Xemu or Elohim "religous" beleif I'd be worried they were being taken for a ride or going through a hard time and in need of help. Perhaps even mentally unstable.

Just suppose they begin to sign over their house and other "worldly" possessions to the Alien church and take a vow of poverty. That happens sometimes. Just imagine their children talk on and on about Xemu .. ... .. and perform daily rituals to oppose the Great Galactic Emperor. The children begin to worry that even their very thoughts must be pure. That just thinking, just thinking, the act of contemplating his existence could be interpreted by the Great Galactic Emperor as a sign of losing faith and hence their eternal existence forfeit... Hourly they stop what they are doing for 1 min orient in the direction of the Galactic Center and pray to Xemu.. ... ...

"I am not English but I live in the UK. You are overlooking the fact that the UK sent the Pilgrim Fathers, those gentle, bible -reading folk, whose descendants spread peace, tolerance and goodwill throught the entire land. The Pilgrim Fathers didn't believe in evolution . They were interested in the Rock of Ages, not the age of rocks."

He he... too bad about `ole Injun Joe...

I personally would be more than embarrassed. I'd be worried. if someone I knew suddenly became very seriously about their Xemu or Elohim "religous" beleif I'd be worried they were being taken for a ride.

Just suppose they begin to sign over their house and other "worldly" possessions to the Alien church and take a vow or poverty. That happens sometimes. Just imagine their children talk on and on about Xemu .. ... .. and perform daily rituals to oppose the Great Galactic Emperor. The children begin to worry that even their very thoughts must be pure. That just thinking, just thinking, the act of contemplating his existence could be interpreted by the Great Galactic Emperor as a sign of losing faith and hence their eternal existence forfeit... Hourly they stop what they are doing for 1 min orient in the direction of the Galactic Center and pray to Xemu.. ... ...

You did not grow up in India. Its perfectly natural to hang lemon-chillies to ward off the evil eye, provide milk to poisonous snakes that keep your field free of rodents, re-enact Krishna's habit of stealing makhan, inviting Ganesha into your homes annually and then putting him out to sea and killing the multi-headed demon king Ravana every Dassera.

And then go back to work at whatever it is you do.

Sucks to be you.:shrug:

Ah, and this is the point. I said this in anther thread once and you lambasted me for it.

...And then go back to work at whatever it is you do.

Which is to say, get on with living here in the real world and living life.
Yeah, that's fine.

I love visiting Temples. It's great. I have written letters and put them on prayer walls, burned incense, donated to Temples and offered fruit to the various Gods. That's fine. I think of it like tradition and cultural heritage and I respect that.

All in moderation.

BUT, I think most people would agree if they noticed a friend had suddenly become very VERY religous AND begins talking about some irrational, yet sincere and serious, beleif in Xemu the Galactic Overlord - they'd be embarrassed for them. I'm am sure that is the common reaction. Maybe if they were not all that close they'd try to change the subject or if they were they'd try to see if everything was going OK.
Such irrationality that is not commonly held beleif make people uncomfortable. Which is why most people do not discuss their supernatural beliefs all that often in general conversation in public.

I think we can all agree that it often even makes other people that do not share that particular belief feel uncomfortable.

All of the things you mentioned are commonly accepted superstitions in India. I wonder though, what people where you live would think if someone started building effigies to Xemu and protestingly Scientology? Probably people would not like it. Maybe they'd even take matters into their own hands?

Michael

I think we can all agree that it often even makes other people that do not share that particular belief feel uncomfortable.

All of the things you mentioned are commonly accepted superstitions in India. I wonder though, what people where you live would think if someone started building effigies to Xemu and protestingly Scientology? Probably people would not like it. Maybe they'd even take matters into their own hands?

Michael

You mean Indians who come to the US and see people dressed up for Halloween start attacking them with pointy sticks?:p

I find all you guys lead such colorless unimaginative existences. Such boring lives.

Too bad so many in India are replacing their superstitions with drugs and alcohol to numb their existence.

You did not grow up in India. Its perfectly natural to hang lemon-chillies to ward off the evil eye, provide milk to poisonous snakes that keep your field free of rodents, re-enact Krishna's habit of stealing makhan, inviting Ganesha into your homes annually and then putting him out to sea and killing the multi-headed demon king Ravana every Dassera.

Sucks to be you.:shrug:

you forgot to mention run through the streets throwing paint at anyone and building mountains out of sweets

:D

Back