Why do you love God?

Is humanity better off today than in past (hundreds of years)?

• Total voters
Did your God create the universe and humans intentionally, or unintentionally? Did he consiously decide to create us for a purpose, or are we by-products of him like in some eastern religious sects? This is crucial.

My God was created as the very mix of the universe itself. He was all-knowing, all-stuck in His own creation. He is a victim to quantum laws, and perhaps even emerged from a singular region itself.

I believe we are the very by-product of this intelligence wanting to know itself. A universe, where it wants to observe itself, so we are somehow like tiny units that make up the whole Great I Am.

Makes sense, I'd probably do the same.

Now what if the loved one was a wife/husband or brother/sister? Now it gets tricky. Not sure what I'd do if presented and given one minute to decide. That would be one hellish minute.

I'm not sure I could live with the guilt of letting someone else suffer to fulfill my own happiness and save my loved one.

The child. Everytime. Love i guess, can blind a person from the greater good.

Wow, crazy you say that because I just had a very similar thought the other day. Like we are all eyes of the universe looking in on itself. We are aware beings, and made out of the fabric of the universe, so in a way the universe itself can also be aware. Thanks for the responses Reiku, good stuff.

Here's the scenario again:

lightgigantic, reiku, and Saquist, and whoever else:

Think of someone who you really love on this earth. Anyone. Someone has kidnapped you, someone you really love, and a stranger. The kidnapper has a gun to your head and has various torturing equipment on hand. He says:

"You have two choices. Option A, I free your loved one and yourself, and I will never bother you both ever again. You can live happily ever after together, and continue to share your love with one another. However, if you choose Option A, I will torture the stranger for a while until they die. Or Option B, I shoot both your loved one and the stranger in the head and they both die without suffering, and I let you go free. Plain and simple."

lightgigantic, Saquist, Reiku, or whoever else, which option would you choose and why?

No, actually I thought Option B was the way more altruistic one, especially if the stranger is a child. I don't think I could live with myself if I let a young child be tortured, rather than die a quick death.

The whole situation is truly horrifying, but it's the only way to see where people stand.

There is a problem with this scenario that hasn't been pointed out yet:

Just because someone claims that something is your choice and your responsibility does not make it your choice and your responsibility.

What the kidnapper is doing is blackmail to begin with. It is the kidnapper who would torture or pull the trigger, not you. His choice to do that, not yours. As such, it is not your choice nor your responsibility who would die and who would survive.

Moreover, the police, the armed forces, government agencies and others have negotiation experts who are trained not to become overwhelmed by the immorality and blackmail of such hostage situations. There are people who actually negotiate with the kidnappers - and with some success. Which possibly proves that a kidnapping (or other violent) situation is not entirely under the control of the kidnapper.

Greenburg, you're right. We have to make assumptions in order for the scenario to work. We must assume, for example, that the kidnapper is not lying. Or we could say that the kidnapper has rigged up some machine which will literally do the torturing. In this case, you would have direct control over who suffers or dies quickly.

Either way, if the kidnapper gave you like one minute to decide, would you really be in a position to negotiate with him? He says he'll torture and kill everyone, including you, if you don't decide in 60 seconds. If you think he's bluffing, your gambling. I'm not sure that would be a gamble I'd be willing to take if all three of us will be tortured and then killed. Especially with me being tied up in all.

The question is: Is one willing to lose someone they love, and hence sacrifice their love and happiness to save someone else from suffering?

As if love and happiness would be possible with only that one person and nobody else.

I'm not suggesting I would choose scenario B. My point is that relationships between people are usually not permanent anyway, and people can find love and happiness with many people, not just one. It is possible for people to be resilient and resourceful like that.

I know which one God would choose though. A, without even thinking twice. At least from what I currently know about God, which isn't much. God is willing to let people suffer and be tortured in order fulfill his need to be loved. I may be wrong, but from what I know and observe around me, that's who God is.

I guess the next question is, wouldn't be more unselfish for God to sacrifice his own need for love, and hence some of happiness, in order to avoid the unneccessary suffering of people?

How about first learning more about God before delving into such straining speculations about what-if ...?

Greenburg, you're right. We have to make assumptions in order for the scenario to work. We must assume, for example, that the kidnapper is not lying. Or we could say that the kidnapper has rigged up some machine which will literally do the torturing. In this case, you would have direct control over who suffers or dies quickly.

Either way, if the kidnapper gave you like one minute to decide, would you really be in a position to negotiate with him? He says he'll torture and kill everyone, including you, if you don't decide in 60 seconds. If you think he's bluffing, your gambling. I'm not sure that would be a gamble I'd be willing to take if all three of us will be tortured and then killed.
But the criticism still holds. One's intent is key here. If one's intent is to save someone you love and the machinations of someone else make this lead to someone's suffering and death you are not responsible for their machinations.

A closer real choice would be if I have to run over a child to get my loved on to a hospital or some such scenario. No, I could not do it.

Either way, if the kidnapper gave you like one minute to decide, would you really be in a position to negotiate with him? He says he'll torture and kill everyone, including you, if you don't decide in 60 seconds. If you think he's bluffing, your gambling. I'm not sure that would be a gamble I'd be willing to take if all three of us will be tortured and then killed. Especially with me being tied up in all.

The other assumption for that scenario to work is to assume that the kidnapper has full control over his mind and our mind. Does he?

As I said, Saquist, LG, and others have pointed out all of the starvation, natural disasters, and other uneccessary suffering that goes on.

A god which intentionally created us would KNOWN for a fact this would occur, but created us anyway to be loved.

So, I know very little, if anything, about God. But from the suffering I observe around the world on a daily basis, this is the only conclusion I can come to at this point.

Greenburg, do you think uneccessary suffering ever occurs?

The other assumption for that scenario to work is to assume that the kidnapper has full control over his mind and our mind. Does he?

Again, being tied up and handcuffed in a chair, a gun to my head, and with 60 seconds, I don't have time to take that gamble. I must choose or we all suffer and die.

That's a pretty big chance you're willing to take that the guy is not insane and is bluffing.

Why do you love God?

Why does God love you?

Why should you love God?

Why should God love you?

Who are you?

Who is God?

Why are you not God?

Why is God not you?

Why are you here and were is God?

Were is God when you are here?

Were are you?

Were is God?

If you were God would you love yourself?

If God were you would God love himself?

Why should God love you if you are God?

Why should you love God if God is you?

If God is you...

If you are God...

If God is you...

If you are God...

and you and I are same God...

and same God is you and I...

would you love still? Why would you not?

As I said, Saquist, LG, and others have pointed out all of the starvation, natural disasters, and other uneccessary suffering that goes on.

A god which intentionally created us would KNOWN for a fact this would occur, but created us anyway to be loved.

So, I know very little, if anything, about God. But from the suffering I observe around the world on a daily basis, this is the only conclusion I can come to at this point.

Then let's define the terms here: What do you understand by "suffering"? How does suffering exist - how does it emerge, what is its process, what its cessation? What or whom does suffering pertain to? Who or what suffers? If you stumble and break your leg, where exactly is the suffering?

Yes. It occurs whenever we "try our luck" and do something which we know from previous experience is not good for us (such as getting drunk in the hopes that "this time would be better") or when we deliberately act against our convictions (such as believing that casual sex is wrong, but engaging in it anyway).

Again, being tied up and handcuffed in a chair, a gun to my head, and with 60 seconds, I don't have time to take that gamble. I must choose or we all suffer and die.

Then you are still thinking that the kidnapper controls your mind and that he is the one who defines what the situation is about. In this case, the kidnapper says that it is up to you who dies and you believe it.

On the other hand, you could define that situation as one of blackmail. In situations of blackmail, no matter what the victim would do, would be wrong. This is what blackmail is. Recognizing this, you won't feel guilty, no matter how you would decide.

And I'm not suggesting that the kidnapper is bluffing.

My God was created as the very mix of the universe itself. He was all-knowing, all-stuck in His own creation. He is a victim to quantum laws, and perhaps even emerged from a singular region itself.

I believe we are the very by-product of this intelligence wanting to know itself. A universe, where it wants to observe itself, so we are somehow like tiny units that make up the whole Great I Am.

Of what are all the other creatures by-products ?

what makes you so sure its unnecessary?

hence the idea that the suffering is not really unnecessary

If you decide to eat three kilogram of deep fried potato and wind up sitting on the toilet for three days afterwards, would you describe that suffering as necessary or unnecessary?

Wow, so you're ready to let a stranger be tortured and killed in order to fulfill your own happiness. Kind of selfish, don't you think?

What if the stranger was a young child, begging to not be brutally tortured and crying out to you? I don't think you'd be so quick to answer. At least I hope not.

there's plenty of young children dying from things like starvation practically at every second yet you some how manage to live with yourself with a substantial amount of change jingling around in your pocket (in fact you can even attribute their relative poverty to socio-economic constructs put in place to reinforce first world standards ... so rather than taking a default position at the hands of a mad kidnapper, you are more directly supporting the kidnapper's cause).
So what gives?

Emnos

Originally Posted by lightgigantic
Actually I was explaining how love primarily finds its expression in one of 4 relationships (servitorship, friendship, parental and conjugal) and that service plays a key part in all 4.
And as a further point, the higher you go up the scale, the more potential it has for greatness. ”
That means nothing to me. I think your view of love is impractical.
So it’s a coincidence that this is how love is unanimously expressed in the world throughout history?
I am denying that love can exist in a complete vacuum of knowledge about the beloved. I mean if I wrote a poem about how much I love people in rural china and you found out that I had lived my entire life in NYC, what would you think? ”
I agree.
What would I think ? I would think you probably read a lot about them and you love their ways or something.
So that sort of “love” is etymologically quite distinct from a more particular usage
IOW ….
1) Have a great affection or liking for
"I love French food"; "She loves her boss and works hard for him"
2) Get pleasure from
"I love cooking"
…over
3) Be enamored or in love with
"She loves her husband deeply"

notice how you refer to nature in reference to "I" ("I need it to stay alive" "I am part of it") ....
as for the awe inspiring and interesting, that is more an issue of wonder than love (and yes, wonder does play a part in love, but love is also more sublime) ”
Hey, you told me to finish that sentence. You made it. You started it with "I". And besides, so what ?
As for the rest, so says you..
It was you who described the object of love as a means to your end …this is not love. This is commerce.
as already mentioned, you already referred to a person who loves a chair as insane, so these ideas are obviously not alien to you ”
This is the same semi-insult you came up with before.
I still don't know what the hell you are implying.
I don’t see what the problem is.
Obviously you have some very clear ideas on what love is and what love isn’t, and not in a way that in just pertinent to yourself. So it’s not clear where your problem lies in others applying the same general principle.
yet you can't indicate it outside of "I" ”
I can't ?
If you can’t indicate separation, it becomes practically impossible to indicate love. (aka Kant, love does not equal others as means to one’s end)
and especially how it houses your life
Its quite clear.
The reason you "love" nature is because you "love" your own life.
thats ok
most (sane) people do
My point is however that nature is merely a stage or background for whatever you love, and not an object of love.
I'm sure it wouldn't take too much imagination to come up with a list of things that would make you exhilarated (or alternatively, manically depressed) while nature could be running along just perfectly in the background. ”
Such arrogance. You are completely off the mark.
Well in what ways does nature have a potential separate from you?
And in what ways is that lovable?
Can you indicate what is lovable about nature in ways that don’t more or less directly tie in to how it houses and facilitates your existence?
Or for that matter, can you indicate your existence separate from nature?

ok
so how does nature reciprocate with you in a way that she doesn't reciprocate with others? ”
It doesn't, it's the same for everyone.
So there’s nothing unique in your loving relationship with nature?

sure
but I am just curious about your views on the subject ”
I don't believe in God, so for me there is no relationship other than the fact that certain people claim that there is.
Therefore it’s not clear to me on what basis that you hold that a chair is somehow outside nature/creation, since the whole god thing doesn’t enter the scene for you.
yes, but god is the dynamic that makes that love work
for instance if my wife has brown eyes and I find them a lovable quality, I find them lovable because they are hers.... the value of brown eyes simply lies in the connection to her. ”
Do you realize how depressing that sounds ?
Do you realize how mercantile it sounds to simply love someone as a sum total of appearances?
I mean suppose you love the dress that your wife wears … you do realize that there are probably another 5000 of them in circulation … I mean, golly, imagine if you bumped into another woman wearing the same dress.

Also, you are basically saying that I cannot possibly love nature because I am an atheist.
Actually I am saying that you can only claim to love nature in the etymological sense of “liking” or “deriving pleasure from” since you are hard pressed to give any qualitative descriptions of nature or indicate how it is separate from you or you separate from it.
It has nothing to do with your atheism.
The only advantage a theist has is that they can (provided that they have qualitative knowledge of god, etc) claim to love nature since they perceive it as owned by god … just in the same way as a man may love the dress of his wife, simply because it owned by her. The real affection is for the person, not the dress. Similarly the real affection is for god, not nature.

Maybe we could use the word "treats" instead of service.
If you want to kill/don't like/like/love a person, that tends to arise from how they treat you (and as a further detail, that may arise from how you treat them) ”
No, not necessarily. Think about it..
So you just spontaneously fall into loving relationships with people who set your car on fire?
Or people just run up to you with a box of chocolates if you hit them repeatedly over the head with a crowbar?

“ [/quote]
Assuming that you were after the result of that person not doing such acts again, I guess you could analyze whether that was the best way to instigate such a state of being. Argumentum ad baculum tends to be the last recourse, although effective in particular time, places and circumstances. ”
So what would you do ?
As I said … time, place and circumstance. Even argumentum ad baculum can be effectively applied if used correctly … whether this is correct or not depends on the circumstances … and you could assess the correctness of the action by examining the results.
If you are trying to ask me whether this action would give the desired result, I would say “no” if the person involved is a complete stranger (which seems to be the case, given the lack of supporting info you tag along with the scenario)

If you did answer it, I obviously didn't understand. It might help explaining what you meant.
Ok
If you can’t talk about the qualities of the beloved, you have no means to present an understanding.
For instance suppose I was madly in love with a rock star (let’s call him Gumpy Gazza)and this struck you as absurd since you never heard of them.
Then perhaps I could go and talk about how his snake tattoos were really cool and he was really cute the way he has no front teeth and just wait till you listen to the way he burps when he plays the guitar and smashes a beer bottle over the head of his road manager.
At this point you could either agree and say “yeah, Gumpy gazza is the topmost of lovable things” or “Just as I thought, gumpy is a loser and you are a nutcase” or anything in between. If I have nothing to say, you have no scope for making a value assessment.
Familiarity with the name, form, qualities and pastimes of a thing is what paves the way for all sorts of relationships .... My question to you (which you will hopefully address earlier in the piece) is in what ways are your declarations of “loving” nature distinct from “liking” nature.

So this is a response to your claim that I can’t approach your loving relationship with nature possibly because of an urban upbringing or something. In other words it is a claim that I am in ignorance about the object of love, and that if I wasn’t, then perhaps I could see it. So that’s where Gumpy Gazza comes in. You know nothing about him, but then I tell you his qualities, his activities, etc etc and then you make a value judgment.
It’s not that I am saying loving nature is wrong (a value judgment). I am saying that you have no means to make a value judgment (in regards to love) on nature since there is no scope for a presentation on its qualities or activities in any meaningful way that isn’t obviously connected to your own well being or sense of comfort. Interestingly enough, if you want to start philosophizing on nature as some sort of conscious entity, you quickly arrive at descriptions of god’s qualities (minus an extra special something personality offers) – eg “I love nature because it takes away and gives to everyone equally regardless of caste, colour, creed, etc” vs Bg 9.29 I envy no one, nor am I partial to anyone. I am equal to all. But whoever renders service unto Me in devotion is a friend, is in Me, and I am also a friend to him.
Even if you just want to examine it theoretically, wouldn’t a nature that can personally reciprocate be grander than a nature that can’t?

My point is that nature (or even a dog) will never have the potential capacity to win your heart (or alternatively, piss you off) in a way that a person can, simply on this issue of reciprocation, service and knowledge of name, form, qualities, pastimes.
And as it relates to the OP, god is the topmost person, with all good qualities that we find in others finding their origin in him, ... so therein lies the value in loving him.

So qualities are where it’s at ... and either makes it or breaks it as far as love is concerned.

If you want to argue that nature offers more potential for great loving exchanges than people, it would seem to suggest that you have experienced something that hampered your love and understanding of people. Actually there has been a long standing dominant paradigm of seeing the purpose of creation simply as something we can just take from to get whatever we need to make us happy in whatever way we imagine. Just now we are perhaps beginning to see how this results in strife and entanglement, so a new sort of paradigm is starting to emerge. So when you talk of “loving nature” I see that as representative of a new way of assessing the purpose of creation. However even though love entails issues of obligational duty, dependence, etc, it is something more sublime than simply assessing issues of purpose (hence the word “love” distinguishes itself from the word “like” even though they might be frequently interchangeable)

One can actually talk about the good qualities of people (or the bad of course) and not just in a way that is pertinent to one’s fundamental well being – for instance I could talk of how a particular person is free from envy and not just because I stand to profit from that person’s nonenviousness.
Because there is no scope for discussing this in regards to nature (or even the scope for discussing it in regards to animals in contrast to people is greatly reduced), love, as it pertains to the theistic notion of loving god, has a particular etymological sense that is not addressed by claims of loving nature. I did however offer a framework in which I think the sense of “loving” nature is valid. (ie assigning purpose, consciously being aware of our dependence on it, etc etc)

As for that last sentence of mine, it's truth. Deny it..
Well what are exactly “persons like you” and what exactly “are persons like me” and how do you know these are apt categories?
And furthermore, why is this misaligned ratio a cause for lamentation?

Back