To the atheists...

An atheist government enforces private religion

• Total voters
If your freedom of expression undermines my freedom of expression, whose freedom of expression should be protected?
Both. If mine undermines yours to the extent that it drowns it out, you're not trying hard enough.

If your freedom of expression undermines my freedom of expression, whose freedom of expression should be protected?
mine :p

Just kidding.

I suppose the founding fathers of America gave this some thought when they wrote the Bill of Rights. But ultimately it comes down to society. Didn't secular Germany ban Scientology? Couldn't it be argued that they have just as much freedom to sucker money out of nincompoops as the next religion? Obviously not in Germany.

What I was wondering was: What did you expect to get out of the thread? Did you get it?

The closest the State should, IMO come to Religion is teaching the archaeological findings - such as the Epic of Gilgamesh or the like. We keep our public educated and everything else will fall nicely into place.

The closest the State should, IMO come to Religion is teaching the archaeological findings - such as the Epic of Gilgamesh or the like. We keep our public educated and everything else will fall nicely into place.
there is the issue whether archeology is the only means of interpretation or whether being a practitioner offers any credibility
gilgamesh probably doesn't illustrate this too well, but the eurocentric renderings of Indian culture does

(this article) attempts to show us here that this paradigm of isolation does not serve as a very effective tool in the objective analysis of religious communities. He consequently calls into question the habit of social scientists to observe their subjects from predetermined vantage points which tend to undervalue fundamental philosophical and motivational tenets of their subjects thus compromising their observations. If the effect of this phenomenon were purely academic few would worry about this but the effect is often translated into public misconceptions, sensationalism and even fear

Social scientists often reply that they cannot endorse or validate a particular spiritual doctrine, and thus they have recourse to a neutral or objective language. And yet, although we may agree that the dispassionate discussion of religion requires a neutral, objective language, current social science terminology does not fully provide it. Meaningful discussion of religion, even from the social scientific standpoint, would be greatly enhanced by a language which was more truly neutral and objective.

something seems to be falling through the cracks .....

What did you expect to get out of the thread?

Just wanted to hear what freedom of expression and freedom of religion really means to an atheist.

Did you get it?

They idealise the concepts but have no idea what they mean (except Harmonic subset of course)

there is the issue whether archeology is the only means of interpretation or whether being a practitioner offers any credibility
gilgamesh probably doesn't illustrate this too well, but the eurocentric renderings of Indian culture does

(this article) attempts to show us here that this paradigm of isolation does not serve as a very effective tool in the objective analysis of religious communities. He consequently calls into question the habit of social scientists to observe their subjects from predetermined vantage points which tend to undervalue fundamental philosophical and motivational tenets of their subjects thus compromising their observations. If the effect of this phenomenon were purely academic few would worry about this but the effect is often translated into public misconceptions, sensationalism and even fear

Social scientists often reply that they cannot endorse or validate a particular spiritual doctrine, and thus they have recourse to a neutral or objective language. And yet, although we may agree that the dispassionate discussion of religion requires a neutral, objective language, current social science terminology does not fully provide it. Meaningful discussion of religion, even from the social scientific standpoint, would be greatly enhanced by a language which was more truly neutral and objective.

something seems to be falling through the cracks .....

Not just the indologists, its the same with the orientalists. And the rest of the stricken world is just so much sap for the tree.

Just wanted to hear what freedom of expression and freedom of religion really means to an atheist.

They idealise the concepts but have no idea what they mean (except Harmonic subset of course)
Bullshit. Just that simple.

We insist on one thing. Religion out of government. Just like astrology. Or palm reading.

Non-empirical, superstitious bullshit out of government.

See sammy? Just as you probably suspect, we atheists really are simple people.

We insist on one thing. Religion out of government. Just like astrology. Or palm reading.

bullshit comes in all different types of shapes, sizes and flavours ....

So science should run government? Eugenics comes to mind.

Then your mind is warped. Science should indeed run government, as moderated by human compassion and empathy.

I'll say it again. You theists (yes all of you) seem to think you have a stereotypical monopoly on human love and compassion and that atheists are some kind of mechanistic automatons. I have news for you. Every atheist I know makes every theist I know look like a fascist war criminal. So, get over yourselves.

Space exploration came to my mind... ...
Yes indeed!

space-color_475.jpg

Then your mind is warped. Science should indeed run government, as moderated by human compassion and empathy.

I'll say it again. You theists (yes all of you) seem to think you have a stereotypical monopoly on human love and compassion and that atheists are some kind of mechanistic automatons. I have news for you. Every atheist I know makes every theist I know look like a fascist war criminal. So, get over yourselves.
strange that you post like that since I've encountered many an atheist on this site who would hotly contend that we are anything but mechanistic automatons
:confused:

"science" isn't a person :p It's not like "science" is "running" secular government.

Anyway, I'm sure if you visit the hospital you'll take the latest scientific advanced medical treatment over some superstitious mumbo jumbo in a heartbeat.

strange that you post like that since I've encountered many an atheist on this site who would hotly contend that we are anything but mechanistic automatons
:confused:
Not strange. Clearly we are machines. But far unlike any machine humans can currently engineer. We have the odd trait of caring for each other and our own well being. Why can we not be machines and noble at the same time?

God lives in the sky (space) so stop poking at Him with your spaceships!
are you serious?
I am sure the internet is vast and stupid enough to dredge up some opinion like that, but is there any indication that this is a prevalent view that is seriously hindering space exploration?

"science" isn't a person :p It's not like "science" is "running" secular government.

Anyway, I'm sure if you visit the hospital you'll take the latest scientific advanced medical treatment over some superstitious mumbo jumbo in a heartbeat.

And who are you to say that the latest medical treatments have been created by atheists?

Pass the healing crystals if you don't mind...

Back