The, differences ,between ,Christianity and Islam

Was Christianity well established in the Arabian Peninsula at the time of Mohammed? I know it had metastasized to the northern reaches of Mesopotamia, but had the Arabs been introduced to Jesus?

It was.

Read Karen Armstrong's, "Islam: A Short History" (which is one of the best "quick reads" on Islam I've found). In her studies she points out that, while Christianity wasn't dominant, it was present in Mecca, Medina and Jeddah (and indeed throughout the entire region). Roughly a third of the inhabitants of Mecca were Christians. Similar proportions in other inhabited areas of Arabia.

~String

When the English "discovered" the Inuit of Canada they (the English), without provocation, killed and murdered as many as they could. Once, they caught an Inuit alive and decided to keep him confined in a cage, to be shown to the Queen - like an exotic animal. The Inuit bit through his tongue and was found dead the next day. On the next trip the English raided a village capturing a man, they then caught a young woman after slaughtering her husband and children, they placed the two in a special room built with little peep holes hoping to catch a glimpse of the two Inuits having sex together - which they did not. They instead were delivered to the English public for exhibition and died shortly thereafter of disease.

Because we were so f*cking evil in the past, we have a learned a lot of lessons on morality.

You are very off-topic. I wonder if you continue to be that evil in some ways. :p

I forgot to add. I didn't exactly say undrdeveloped coutries are more tolerant, just that there are such counries that are. Nigeria, Indonesia, Malaysia, Egypt, Makistan, Turkey are not actually underdeveloped. Just cause they are Third World does not necessarily mean they are underdeveloped, developing is more like what they are, and no. It is not just an euphemism of the former. Underdeveloped as in Mali, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Sao Tome and Principe, Belize (maybe that's west), Comoros, Sycheles, Tibet, Vietnam. (Zimbabwe has got its own unique intolerance issue, so is Kenya therefore maybe I'll strike them out, just maybe). Church burning vandals are quite a low yardstick to set standards with you'll agree. Let's preach tolerance like religion on paper does. Be blessed.

Teach all religions through history, for the land and their best and worst values. You will find the sum of morality.

RE: Differences ,between ,Christianity and Islam

At the heart of Christianity is forgiveness. You can take away ALL of the superstition (including Jesus, God and the Holy Ghost) and what you will have left is self-forgiveness. Whether looking into the sky and asking to be forgiven or looking in another person's eyes - either way. That is the heart of Christianity. Asking to be forgiven and having that feeling that you indeed have been forgiven - this is what "makes sense" about Christianity.

At the heart of Islam is pride. It's the pride you feel "knowing" there is only One Perfect Revelation (the Qur'an) and only One Last Prophet (who delivered this Perfect Revelation) and knowing that this came from the One and Only "True" God. The pride that comes when you think you know the truth, that you have the right answer - it's right here sitting in your lap, this is what "makes sense" about Islam.

The funny thing is, everything that makes a Muslim feel prideful a Christian can feel prideful about too ... only even more so. Jesus wasn't a mere Prophet, not only the Messiah, but was God. God. As in, God. The Bible wasn't a retelling of story to fix a few bits and peaces like the Qur'an (God could have picked really anyone to be a Prophet) but is instead the actual life of God on earth. That said, it's my feeling that because forgiveness is central psychologically and superior to feelings of pride, some Christians are able to eventually move past pride and gain an ounce of humility. Some even become atheists.

A very good disection,

some Christians are able to eventually move past pride and gain an ounce of humility. Some even become atheists.

And many Atheist are able to eventually move past pride and gain an ounce of humility and become believers.

Can God think?
Does God think?

What does it mean to think? Why think? What's the purpose of thought?

Why do you suppose you have a need to refer to a God as a "He"? Why not a She? The Japanese refer to God as a She. And they give "Her" plenty of respect. Hindu have female avatars of God. Why do you suppose your God is a represented in your mind as a "He"?

Wouldn't it be more logical to say "It"?

Does "It" learn or can you teach "it"? possibly both...

A Jewish lady once summed it up succinctly:

"Islam is all about the afterlife. What happens on earth is not all that important; only to the extent that it helps you get into heaven. The amount of suffering is irrelevant. If you kill a few babies it's no big deal; you're just helping them get into heaven a little bit sooner.

"Judaism is very much about this life. We believe that God's going to come down, reanimate the corpses, and send people to heaven and hell, but that might be a billion years from now. What counts is what people think of you now, and after you're dead. So we have to do our best while we're here. This is why it's so difficult for Jews and Muslims to communicate. We're literally not in the same place.

"Christianity falls exactly in the middle. They're concerned with heaven, certainly. But they have a strong imperative to do their best while they're here. God tells them that it's their duty to be charitable to everyone and alleviate their suffering, and that it's especially bad to cause suffering. Christians can talk to us, and they can talk to Muslims. Christians are the key to world peace."

That is one persons opinion.

Why attach so much weight to it?

Anyway, as a Muslim (Sufi background) it is a bit simplistic to say Islam is all about the afterlife. If that was the case, the life of a Muslim would focus entirely on religious practices and little involvment in everyday life, but that is not acceptable in Islam. Celibacy, cutting yourself off from this world, not living, working, mixing with people, learning etc. is condemned, by word by the Prophet Muhammad (pbuh).

In Islam, it is emphasised that every individual has a unique level in the eyes of God. No one person in the history of mankind has or will be the same. Our character, attributes, deeds, desires, dreams etc. are unique to us. In the same way, we are told that we all have our own path to discover God. It is not a one-size fits all religion. It is a journey we all have to underake on our own, we all have different routes and different destinations.

The thought of heaven, the rewards God has instore for the rightful believer in itself is a way for God to distinguish between the believers. At the lowest level a person does good deeds in order to have pleasures once he dies, this is acceptable in Islam but it is considered to be the lowest level. The highest level is doing good in this life, without any regard for the hereafter, helping your fellow man, without even thinking about heaven, not seeking a reward in this life (praise, recongintion) or in the hereafter (rewards in heaven). That is considered to be complete submission.

Sufis and mystics say the rewards in heaven itself are a test to the believer. Would we pray, would we do the hard things in this life if God took heaven away? yes or no. The answer should be yes. Sufis aim to battle their egos, their desires and through this they find divine inspiration. They don't focus on heaven, they focus on God, and helping their fellow man.

No religion is really simple, or black and white. Certainly not Islam.

I'm afraid to say some of the comments in this thread are simply the ramblings of idiots

Does "It" learn or can you teach "it"? possibly both...
What can something that "knows all" possible learn?

And many Atheist are able to eventually move past pride and gain an ounce of humility and become believers.
haha :)
Good point.

But, as I have said in the past, it's no more possible for you to believe in Xenu than for me to believe in Xenu. I don't think pride plays any role at all.

The thought of heaven, the rewards God has instore for the rightful believer in itself is a way for God to distinguish between the believers. At the lowest level a person does good deeds in order to have pleasures once he dies, this is acceptable in Islam but it is considered to be the lowest level. The highest level is doing good in this life, without any regard for the hereafter, helping your fellow man, without even thinking about heaven, not seeking a reward in this life (praise, recongintion) or in the hereafter (rewards in heaven). That is considered to be complete submission.

Sufis and mystics say the rewards in heaven itself are a test to the believer. Would we pray, would we do the hard things in this life if God took heaven away? yes or no. The answer should be yes. Sufis aim to battle their egos, their desires and through this they find divine inspiration. They don't focus on heaven, they focus on God, and helping their fellow man.
SO one must deduce that the ethical atheist would be the God-Head's more prized creation.

I like my tea hot, no milk. Let the 71 other's know as well can you :D

The main difference is that one is slightly more crazier than the other. I havent figured out which is which yet.

That's a touch extreme: it's not that Islam - or any religion - has some limited threshold of personal morality, but rather that there are ways in which the adherents of any faith can occupy the correct moral ground. There is a strong streak of conservatism in Islam which is bad because of the lack of any separation between mosque and state. Etc.

There is a strong streak of conservatism in Islam which is bad because of the lack of any separation between mosque and state. Etc.
Don't all the Abrahamic religions have that same conservative streak? They were probably all regarded as pretty avant-garde in their day, but after hundreds or thousands of years of resisting pressure to evolve and adapt, during a time when the civilizations around them have reinvented themselves a couple of times, they all look like artifacts from the Stone Age today.

When Christianity was exactly the age that Islam is today, to suggest separating church from state would have qualified as blasphemy. Judaism is the oldest of the three, but in the world's only Jewish nation there is no effective separation of temple and state. All three, until a few eyeblinks ago, were perfectly sanguine about slavery and they still have no problem with war, especially if it's against the other two, or just among their own sects.

Rastafarianism is the newest Abrahamic faith and it looks pretty hip, but give those folks a thousand years and see if they're quaint relics of the 20th century. The Mormon church--which I mention because many Christians don't count it as Christianity--is about twice as old, and it's already established its Stone Age character retroactively: they had to be browbeaten into giving up polygamy.

Every time human society undergoes a Paradigm Shift, by definition there are fundamental, far-reaching changes in our relationships, institutions and culture in general.
  • From hostile clans of nomadic hunter-gatherers always on the verge of famine,
  • to cooperative villages growing their own food and experimenting with division of labor,
  • to cities of complex hierarchical structure populated by strangers who had to invent money to keep their economy running,
  • to Bronze Age cities developing commerce in order to trade tin ore for copper and using the first "weapons of mass destruction" against the barbarians outside the gates,
  • to the Iron Age when the barbarians could forge their own weapons and writing and diplomacy were invented to save civilization,
  • to the Industrial Revolution when 99% of the human race were no longer doomed to careers in food production and distribution, and discretionary income, leisure time, democracy, recreational travel and universal literacy broke down national and cultural barriers,
  • to the Electronic Age when the primary obstacle to uniting into a single global civilization is... wait for it...
the Abrahamic religions, which are two Paradigm Shifts behind us, still trying to figure out the Iron Age.

What about the other non-Abrahamic religions? Buddhism? Taoism? Hinduism? Shintoism? Native American Faiths? Scientology?
(just curious)

One thing that's interesting, initially Mormon women (as I have read) were extremely pro-feminists, very outspoken and took an active role in their society. This is relative to Eastern women of course. The reason why wasn't religion, but being frontierswomen. They HAD to take an active role or it wasn't going to work. As things got more "Civilized" they got more subjugated and the more patriarchal aspects of the Abrahamic aspects of religion reared it's ugly head. Or so I think :) There seems to be this cycle in the Civilizing process where women are equal, then not equal, then equal again.

Don't all the Abrahamic religions have that same conservative streak? They were probably all regarded as pretty avant-garde in their day, but after hundreds or thousands of years of resisting pressure to evolve and adapt, during a time when the civilizations around them have reinvented themselves a couple of times, they all look like artifacts from the Stone Age today.

Ja ja, but the earlier two are more or less under control these-a-days. That may be no doing of their own (although me recalleth Reformations in both) but even so I think it deserves to be said that any such religion might be brought under control. As for Islam...well, if someone with Sam's geopolitical outlook is considered moderate or liberal, then me hopeth not overmuch.

How are the Abrahamics inhibiting progression to the Electronic Age, anyway? Everyone's happy to use technology to whatever end they put it. Sorry, I just feel this one doesn't connect.

more and more proganada, congradulations, sciforums, is the winner with the 10th place in the world in the proganada makers contest. everyone will receive a book to how make more proganada and destory earth.

start all over again, and everything would be back as it was, you cant to start all over again? remove all humans, leave one village. and everything will be perfect

Back