Splinter: Hunting, people, and populations

If people stop hunting, there will be no will whatsoever to protect wild land. Killing wild animals, somewhat paradoxically, is what protects them. Some of the most influential conservation groups in the US are composed of hunters.

Huh ? How so ?

We are not.. and so what.
Ooohoh it's dangerous ! KILL IT !!!

Where do you live Enmos?
You ever have your livelihood or your relatives attacked by a wild predator? Have you actually encountered a wild predator that stalks you, chases your, or charges?

I get the feeling you've never been somewhere where you can't see city lights at night.

I think they are extinct in nature in the US ? I don't even think the Bison in question are native to the US.

They are in our National and State Parks. We don't feed them or protect them from wolves. They have been in Yellowstone Parks since prehistoric times so I'm pretty sure they are native.

Where do you live Enmos?
You ever have your livelihood or your relatives attacked by a wild predator? Have you actually encountered a wild predator that stalks you, chases your, or charges?
The Netherlands.
There are no wild predators here anymore. All hunted to extinction, or otherwise brought to extinction by humans.
Who's fault is it then, the animals fault or human fault ?
We move into their territory.

I get the feeling you've never been somewhere where you can't see city lights at night.
Not so.

Huh ? How so ?

Simple.
Why should I protect animals I only care about in a relationship in which I kill and eat them, when I am no longer allowed to kill in eat them?

Animals only have as much value as people assign to them; if that value is putting it on your wall, or in your freezer, that's still a lot more value assigned than none. Sport hunters want to keep wild animals because they like to hunt them. If you don't let them hunt, they have no reason to support legislation that prevents them from digging, drilling or paving habitat.

In the modern era, habitat destruction is far more dangerous to a species than hunting, especially the regulated sort. The market for buffalo tongue or walrus musketproof vests is pretty slim, and few Westerners are going out and shooting stuff for food.

The Netherlands.
There are no wild predators here anymore. All hunted to extinction, or otherwise brought to extinction by humans.
Who's fault is it then, the animals fault or human fault ?
We move into their territory.

Not so.

So you basically have no idea what you're talking about.

Simple.
Why should I protect animals I only care about in a relationship in which I kill and eat them, when I am no longer allowed to kill in eat them?

Animals only have as much value as people assign to them; if that value is putting it on your wall, or in your freezer, that's still a lot more value assigned than none. Sport hunters want to keep wild animals because they like to hunt them. If you don't let them hunt, they have no reason to support legislation that prevents them from digging, drilling or paving habitat.

In the modern era, habitat destruction is far more dangerous to a species than hunting, especially the regulated sort. The market for buffalo tongue or walrus musketproof vests is pretty slim, and few Westerners are going out and shooting stuff for food.
We are talking about habitat destruction now.
Of course hunting deer and boar to keep the population in check doesn't make them go extinct. But the reason it's necessary is because we hunted their natural predators to extinction, or dramatically reduced their numbers.

....But the reason it's necessary is because we hunted their natural predators to extinction, or dramatically reduced their numbers.

and why aren't humans their natural predator? How long do we have to hunt them to be considered their predator?

So you prefer the alternative then? Human beings in small populations, weak from lack of genetic diversity, vulnerable to the simplest of foreign diseases, backwards in technology and by extension backwards in terms of freedoms, willingly handicapping ourselves for the sake of other species?

So you prefer the alternative then? Human beings in small populations, weak from lack of genetic diversity, vulnerable to the simplest of foreign diseases, backwards in technology and by extension backwards in terms of freedoms, willingly handicapping ourselves for the sake of other species?

Drama queen.. lol
Humans have lived like that for ages, and now that we don't we have gotten weaker because of it.
I really don't think your suggestion above would hurt the species at all.

Back