Sexual Discrimination and Violence: Changing women's attitudes

Contributing to the problem

Draqon said:

Excuse me...but abuse comes from women as well and in great numbers.

I don't think anybody is contesting that point in particular, Draqon. As Simon Anders noted in #38:

"When women do something bad the focus is on women. When men do something bad the focus is on women. How can we change the women."​

At some point, we must look to the men. I've let incidents of domestic violence pass unreported. Indeed, many men do. This, in the end, only contributes to the problem.

In February, I made a point about domestic violence against men in response to a member's specific complaint about inequality between the sexes:

Now, just stop and think about all the history that goes into the social conditions that compel men to not report domestic violence. Just think about it for a minute. Because that isn't "women's fault". It's all of our faults. So instead of getting pissed off about the Violence Against Women Act, which responded to specific problems in society, start asking about why men, and also society in general have not taken certain steps. It's not because NOW or any other group of women are holding back such efforts. So stop blaming them for our inadequacy. Stop blaming our mothers for our fathers' doing (or lack thereof) ....

(#1764572/73)​

And in this case the point is clear: One of the ways to make women face up to their perpetration of domestic violence is to report the incident and have them prosecuted. When those numbers go up, society will be forced to undertake a fairly broad reformulation of its domestic violence policies.

Likewise, one of the problems in addressing rape as a social phenomenon is that victims are often unwilling to report it. As I noted recently in citing a specific incident:

Then again, she should have called the police. The next woman he attacks might not get away.

(#1896795/90)​

For the longest time, women who reported domestic violence or rape faced the possibility of ending up homeless, with their children in the custody of a violent, manipulative, and exploitative man. This, indeed, is the major impetus for battered women's shelters.

Does men's reluctance to report domestic violence occur in the same context? Perhaps, but one of the primary reasons discussed so far is social pride: they don't want to be seen as a pussy°. Other reasons might be that the man would rather try to have sex with the woman instead of sit home alone with the kids while she spends the night in jail, or, as in my case on one occasion, I simply wasn't going to send the woman allegedly carrying my child to a jail cell. (On the other, I attempted an internal solution involving our families; this did not achieve great progress, since she was inclined to lie, her father to excuse her, and her mother to worry more about how many vegetables our daughter was eating.)

We all have our reasons for not reporting domestic violence, but we must acknowledge that, in the end, we are in fact contributing to the general phenomenon.

Notes:

° they don't want to be seen as a pussy — Is anyone not aware of the irony that comes with pretending misandry is socially and psychologically equivalent to misogyny? Women insulting one another still call each other bitch. Calling a woman a "dick" does not bear similar denigration to calling a man a "pussy", "cunt", or "faggot", all of which attempt to insult the man by feminizing him. While domestic violence against men is no small issue, indeed is one demanding address, it seems a strange pretense that the phenomena are so similar.

When is Western society going to institute some sort of social program to teach women as a collective that it is not OK to go hitting men when they are pissed off? :shrug:

Is there a social program that teaches males this? My son has been taught this at home, as has my daughter. There is no school or gvmt program that I am aware of for either sex. :shrug:

I don't think anybody is contesting that point in particular, Draqon. As Simon Anders noted in #38:

"When women do something bad the focus is on women. When men do something bad the focus is on women. How can we change the women."​

Simon Anders is an idiot, his statement is a lie.

What complete nonsense. Quite often when a man is a victim of domestic abuse, the public thinks "Gee, I wonder what he did to deserve it? He must have really pissed her off. Must be a jerk or something."

At some point, we must look to the men. I've let incidents of domestic violence pass unreported. Indeed, many men do. This, in the end, only contributes to the problem.

How true. At some point, we must look to women to stop rape and sexual harassment. Many women have let incidents of rape and sexual harassment pass unreported. Indeed, many women do. This, in the end, only contributes to the problem.

Oh, wait, I'm placing the burden to stop rape and sexual harassment back on women. And that's BAD.

I just find this hilarious. Instead of placing the burden on women to NOT HIT MEN, Tiassa is placing the burden on men (including abused men) to be more proactive. Fucking rich. I wonder if he'll adopt the same attitude for female victims of sexual harassment and rape.

the sockpuppet himself shows up.
:p
No you are. But seriously...who am I a sockpuppet for? And I suggest you go and read my response to Glaucon on the Ayn Rand thread in philosophy - since its a long post and undoubtably does not fit with your theory - and spend a moment to see if you really think I am whoever you think I am.
Cool shortcut again, but the way. If I'm ever too lazy to think of a response I'll accuse someone of being a sockpuppet. Ever see True Romance, you know with Brad Pitt on the couch before he was famous. Sockpuppet. Yours.

Last edited:
I just find this hilarious. Instead of placing the burden on women to NOT HIT MEN, Tiassa is placing the burden on men (including abused men) to be more proactive. Fucking rich. I wonder if he'll adopt the same attitude for female victims of sexual harassment and rape.

I can't speak for Tiassa's motives but the precise way you are irritated right now is why I am demanding men focus on themselves around this issue you raised. In another context I would take a different approach. Feel that anger, and then use it to gain empathy.

The burden is on women to not hit men. But the biggest burden is on the males in society who put male ego ahead of what is right, preventing the male victims of domestic abuse from coming forward.

Just as the burden is on the would be rapist to not rape, the same applies to perpetrators of domestic abuse to not abuse their spouse. But if you have been raped or abused by a spouse, you need to come forward to report it, regardless of your gender. A lot of women and men are proactive in that they do report their abuse. All should try to emulate those brave individuals. No one is blaming the victims of domestic violence. How could you? They are in a desperate situation and they do need help.

But we, as society, can't know who needs help unless they come forward and report their abuser to the authorities. The same applies to men and women. Many women also fear social isolation and rejection if they report their male or female partners for domestic abuse. Men even more so. Society needs to change. Men in particular need to change their attitude in how they view male victims of domestic abuse. Those men who belittle and demean these victims are hindering their willingness to come forward and bring their plight to light. And to be honest, it's god damn disgusting.

The burden is on women to not hit men. But the biggest burden is on the males in society who put male ego ahead of what is right, preventing the male victims of domestic abuse from coming forward.

Just as the burden is on the would be rapist to not rape, the same applies to perpetrators of domestic abuse to not abuse their spouse. But if you have been raped or abused by a spouse, you need to come forward to report it, regardless of your gender. A lot of women and men are proactive in that they do report their abuse. All should try to emulate those brave individuals. No one is blaming the victims of domestic violence. How could you? They are in a desperate situation and they do need help.

But we, as society, can't know who needs help unless they come forward and report their abuser to the authorities. The same applies to men and women. Many women also fear social isolation and rejection if they report their male or female partners for domestic abuse. Men even more so. Society needs to change. Men in particular need to change their attitude in how they view male victims of domestic abuse. Those men who belittle and demean these victims are hindering their willingness to come forward and bring their plight to light. And to be honest, it's god damn disgusting.

Bells, I agree whole heartedly with you.

But you're missing the point of this thread. I was attempting to demonstrate the hypocrisy of feminists who proclaim anyone as 'sexist' if they dare attempt to shift even a sliver of the 'burden' back onto the woman to avoid rape/violence/sexual abuse. Even suggesting that a woman take precautions is met with accusations of 'sexism' and being a pro-rape supporter (a label sexist demagogues such as Tiassa love to employ. How more offensive can you get? :shrug:).

From example, Randwolf put forward the possible notion that we educate women on how to take preventative measures to reduce the likelihood of being raped or harassed. Tiassa denounced him as a sexist, as he was apparently shifting the burden back onto women to avoid rape and harassment.

Yet in this very thread, Tiassa (and other feminists who decry anyone who dare suggest that women take precautions to avoid sexual assault) shifts the burden onto males to act in a fashion which reduces violence perpetrated against males by women.

Don't you see the glaring hypocrisy and sexism? :shrug:

Or, in a nutshell.

Why is it sexist to suggest that women should take precautions + action to avoid harassment and rape, whereas it is not sexist to suggest that men should take precautions + action to avoid being assaulted by women? Aren't BOTH stances shifting some of the burden onto the victim?

I can't speak for Tiassa's motives but the precise way you are irritated right now is why I am demanding men focus on themselves around this issue you raised. In another context I would take a different approach. Feel that anger, and then use it to gain empathy.

I'm irritated by the double standards.

Apparently the burden is ALWAYS on men. ALL men are to blame for EVERY little thing. And they must ALWAYS shoulder the burden to fix things up. It's bullshit, plain and simple. It also reduces women to the status of unthinking animals who aren't responsible for their own behaviour, and aren't in control of their own destiny because of the 'patriarchy'.

But you're missing the point of this thread. I was attempting to demonstrate the hypocrisy of feminists who proclaim anyone as 'sexist' if they dare attempt to shift even a sliver of the 'burden' back onto the woman to avoid rape/violence/sexual abuse. Even suggesting that a woman take precautions is met with accusations of 'sexism' and being a pro-rape supporter (a label sexist demagogues such as Tiassa love to employ. How more offensive can you get? :shrug:).
OK. So this was the point of your thread. And I came back at it playing my game from the other side. Look, I think women who batter have messed up attitudes and I do think women can reduce the liklihood of being raped, though they cannot prevent it. That said, I am very skeptical about a bunch of guys' motives for wanting to talk about that side of things. I also think it is less effective rape prevention for men to focus on what women should have done than to focus on how they can reduce the culture of rape: ie. what can they say and not say to other men?

So
1) I don't take victim focus as a given as benevolent. Especially in a thread that had the title that one had and with some of the 'asking for it' and worse comments that were made.
2) There are better things for men to focus on. There are plenty of women, male and female family members and friends and courses and more that focus on helping women reduce the chances they will be raped. A bunch of guys talking about it in the abstract could challenge themselves. Then their motives are clear and the liklihood that they will help somebody vastly greater.

Last edited:

From example, Randwolf put forward the possible notion that we educate women on how to take preventative measures to reduce the likelihood of being raped or harassed. Tiassa denounced him as a sexist, as he was apparently shifting the burden back onto women to avoid rape and harassment.

Yet in this very thread, Tiassa (and other feminists who decry anyone who dare suggest that women take precautions to avoid sexual assault) shifts the burden onto males to act in a fashion which reduces violence perpetrated against males by women.

Don't you see the glaring hypocrisy and sexism? :shrug:

Or, in a nutshell.

Why is it sexist to suggest that women should take precautions + action to avoid harassment and rape, whereas it is not sexist to suggest that men should take precautions + action to avoid being assaulted by women? Aren't BOTH stances shifting some of the burden onto the victim?

How can a man or a woman prevent being abused by their spouse at home? How can a man or a woman prevent being raped? Are they even the same thing?

There is no true prevention. What the victim of domestic abuse can do to protect themselves from further abuse is to report their abuse to the police. Yet, men are more unlikely to do this. We need to determine why male victims of domestic abuse just don't come forward as much as female victims seem to and we need to change that. And to do that, we need to look at how society views male victims (especially) of domestic abuse.

I guess you are correct. There is some burden on victims of domestic abuse, regardless of their sex, to come forward to report their abuse to the police. Because if they want help, that is the best thing they can do to stop further violence against them by that perpetrator. There will always be a burden on the abuser to not abuse. But at some point in time, the victim has to come forward. And society should not judge them as being weak or pussies if they do. It is society who are holding these men back from coming forward. And it angers me when I see or hear men comment that 'men who let their wives beat them are pussies and deserve it for not being real men'. It is a disgrace. Those men who hold such views are increasing the likelihood of men not coming forward. And those who do not come forward are are not doing themselves any favours, nor are the women who refuse to come forward.

How is it sexist to expect that these victims come forward and bring their abuse to light? Yes, there is a burden on women to not hit, just as there is a burden on male abusers to not abuse. But that burden will not see the light of day if men (and women) refuse to come forward and report their abuse.

Personally, I dislike the anti-domestic violence abuse commercials shown on Australian TV. They are inherently sexist. They help continue the line of thought that it is solely a woman's issue, when it is not. Domestic abuse affects both sexes. The only reason we have more reports of female victims is because they have had a tendency to come forward a lot more than male victims have. Male victims need to make their voices heard and drown out the voices of the sexists morons who view male victims as being pussies. It is not the fault of feminists that domestic abuse is viewed as a female issue. It is the fault of chauvinist arseholes who hold the opinion that male victims of domestic abuse are not real men. In short, we need to get rid of the gender stereotypes.

bells im sorry to disagree with you there but especially with domestic vilonce there is a burden on the victom.

When we first moved into this house there was an aborigional couple living across the road (no i DONT have a problem with aborigionals). The women came over and asked me for a lighter that afternoon which i gave to her, said nice to meet you, blah blah blah:p

that night she came running over to the house saying her husband was after her with a hammer so we called the police for her. They arived and she sent them away. Then the husband comes over saying she took some pills to kill herself and again we called the police (and an ambulance) and again they just left. Then about midnight when im in the shower, my parents had gone to bed and my partner was just slowly unpacking the nessasities she rings the bell again telling my partner that he was trying to kill her again. My partner came to get me in the shower but mum woke up and spoke to her, and we called the police AGAIN and again she sent them away.

Over the next 6 months this kept happerning so in the end we had no choice but to contact aborigional housing in the hope that would force her to actually take the police assistance, if she had the case would have been dropped then and there but she refused and besides myself and my partner, there is a young family and alot of elderly people living around here who couldnt defend themselves if this guy got violent with them so they were both eventually evicted.

The police were willing to arest him, aborigional housing were quite happy to change the locks for her but she refused to take that step and press charges.

in the end SOME of the responcability for your own wellfare has to come back to you

bells im sorry to disagree with you there but especially with domestic vilonce there is a burden on the victom.

When we first moved into this house there was an aborigional couple living across the road (no i DONT have a problem with aborigionals). The women came over and asked me for a lighter that afternoon which i gave to her, said nice to meet you, blah blah blah:p

that night she came running over to the house saying her husband was after her with a hammer so we called the police for her. They arived and she sent them away. Then the husband comes over saying she took some pills to kill herself and again we called the police (and an ambulance) and again they just left. Then about midnight when im in the shower, my parents had gone to bed and my partner was just slowly unpacking the nessasities she rings the bell again telling my partner that he was trying to kill her again. My partner came to get me in the shower but mum woke up and spoke to her, and we called the police AGAIN and again she sent them away.

Over the next 6 months this kept happerning so in the end we had no choice but to contact aborigional housing in the hope that would force her to actually take the police assistance, if she had the case would have been dropped then and there but she refused and besides myself and my partner, there is a young family and alot of elderly people living around here who couldnt defend themselves if this guy got violent with them so they were both eventually evicted.

The police were willing to arest him, aborigional housing were quite happy to change the locks for her but she refused to take that step and press charges.

in the end SOME of the responcability for your own wellfare has to come back to you

?

I guess you missed this in my previous post:

Bells said:
What the victim of domestic abuse can do to protect themselves from further abuse is to report their abuse to the police. Yet, men are more unlikely to do this. We need to determine why male victims of domestic abuse just don't come forward as much as female victims seem to and we need to change that. And to do that, we need to look at how society views male victims (especially) of domestic abuse.

I guess you are correct. There is some burden on victims of domestic abuse, regardless of their sex, to come forward to report their abuse to the police. Because if they want help, that is the best thing they can do to stop further violence against them by that perpetrator. There will always be a burden on the abuser to not abuse. But at some point in time, the victim has to come forward. And society should not judge them as being weak or pussies if they do.

I am going to out and out say it:

Any man who is domestically abused by a woman is a fucking pussy.

Seriously. Grow some balls, asshole. It's called manning up.

There is no taboo against hitting men and rightfully so: We can take it. Stop being a twat about it.

lepustimidus it seems you have a volenteer to start your campain:p

have fun:)

Edit to add:

bells why are we calling it domestic vilonce?
there doesnt actually have to be any phycial contact for abuse. Actually while i was looking up elder abuse i ran across a womens groups definitions of what consitutes abuse. Its an interesting read actually

here it is:
PHYSICAL ABUSE
- any unwanted physcial attention
- kicking, punching, pushing, pulling, slapping, hitting, shaking
- cutting, burning
- pulling hair
- squeezing hand, twisting arm
- choking, smothering
- throwing victim, or throwing things at victim
- restraining, tying victim up
- forced feeding
- hitting victim with objects
- knifing, shooting
- threatening to kill or injure victim
- ignoring victim's illness or injury
- denying victim needs (eg. food, drink, bathroom, medication etc.)
- hiding necessary needs
- pressuring or tricking victim into something unwanted
- standing too close or using intimidation
- making or carrying out threats to hurt victim
-making her (victim) afraid by suing looks, gestures or actions
- smashing things
- abusing pets
- display of weapons as a means of intimidation

SEXUAL ABUSE
- any unwanted sexual contact
- forcing her to have sex, harrassing her for sex
- forcing her to have sex with animals
- uttering threats to obtain sex
- pinching, slapping, grabbing, poking her breasts or genitals
- forcing sex when sick, childbirth or operation
- forcing her to have sex with other men or women
- forcing her to watch or participate in group sex
- knowingly transmitting sexual disease
- treating her as a sex object
- being "rough"
- pressuring her to pose for pornogrpahic photos
- displaying pornography that makes her uncomfortable
- using sex as a basis for an argument
- using sex as a solution to an argument
- criticising her sexual ability
- unwanted fondling in public
- accusation of affairs
- threatening to have sex with someone else if she doesn't give sex
- degrading her body parts
- sexual jokes
- demanding sex for payment or trade
- insisting on checking her body for sexual contact

EMOTIONAL ABUSE
Also called "Psychological or Verbal Abuse"
- false accusations
- name calling and finding fault
- verbal threats
- playing "mind games"
- making victim think she/he is stupid, or crazy
- humiliating victim
- overpowering victim's emotions
- disbelieving victim
- bringing up past issues
- inappropriate expressionof jealousy
- degrading victim
- putting victim down, not defending her
- blame the victim for things
- turning the situation against the victim
- laughing in victim's face
- silence, ignoring victim
- refusing to do things with or for victim
- always getting own way
- neglecting victim
- pressuring victim
- expecting victim to conform to a role
- comparing victim to others
- suggested involvement with other women or men
- making victim feel guilty
- using certain mannerisms or behaviour as a means of control (eg. snapping fingers, pointing)
- threatening to get drunk or stoned unles....
- manipulation
- starting arguments
- withholding affection
- holding grudges and not really forgiving
- lying
- threatening to leave or commit suicide
- treating victim as a child
- having double standards for victim
- saying one thing and meaning another
- denying or taking away victim's responsibilities
- not keeping committments
- insisting on accompanying victim to the doctor's office
- deliberately creating a mess for victim to clean
- preventing victim from getting or taking a job
- threatening her with anything (words, objects)
- refusing to deal with issues
- minimising or disregarding victim's work or accomplishments
- demanding an account of victim's time/routine
- taking advantage of victim's fear of something
- making her do illegal things
DURING PREGNANCY AND CHILBIRTH
- forcing her to have an abortion
- denying that the child is his
- insulting her body
- refusing to support her during and after pregnancy
- refusing sex because her pregnant body is ugly
- demanding or pressuring her for sex after childbirth
- blaming her that the baby is the "wrong sex"
- refusing to allow her to breastfeed

FINANCIAL ABUSE
- taking victim's money
- withholding money
- not allowing victim money
- giving victim an allowance
- keeping family finances a secret
- spending money foolishly
- pressuring victim to take full responsibility for finances
-not paying fair share of bills
- not spending money of special occasions when able (birthdays etc)
spending on addictions, gambling, sexual services
- not letting victim have access to family income

SOCIAL ABUSE
- controlling what victim does, who victim sees, talks to, what victim reads and where victim goes
- put downs or ignores victim in public
- not allowing victim to see or access to family and friends
- change of personality when around others (abuser)
- being rude to victim's friends or family
- dictating victim's dress and behaviour
- choosing victim's friends
- choosing friends, activities or work rather being with victim
- making a "scene" in public
- making victim account for themselves
- censoring victim's mail
- treating victim like a servant
- not giving victim space or privacy
USING CHILDREN
- assaulting victim in front of the children
- making victim stay at home with the children
- teaching children to abuse victim through name calling, hitting etc
- embarrassing victim in front of the children
- not sharing responsibility for children
- threatening to abduct children, or telling victim they will never get custody
- puttin down victim's parenting ability
DURING SEPARATION/DIVORCE
- buying off children with expensive gifts
- not showing up on time for visitation or returning them on time
- pumping children for information on victim's partners etc
- telling children that victim is responsible for breaking up the family
- using children to transport messages
- denying victim access to the children
USING RELIGION
- using scripture to justify or dominance
- using church position to pressure for sex or favours
- using victim, then demanding forgiveness
- interpresting religion or scripture your way
- preventing victim from attending church
- mocking victim's belief's
- requiring sex acts or drugs for religious acts

ENVIRONMENTAL ABUSE
ABUSE IN THE HOME
- locking victim in or out
- throwing out or destroying victim's possessions
- harming pets
- slamming doors
- throwing objects
- taking phones and denying victim access to the phone
ABUSE IN THE VEHICLE
- deliberately driving too fast or recklessly to scare victim
- driving while intoxicated
- forcing victim out of the vehicle (when angry)
- pushing victim out of the vehicle when it is inmotion
- threatening to kill victim by driving toward an oncoming car
- chasing or hitting victim with a vehicle
- killing victim in a deliberate accident
- denying her use of the vehicle by tampering with engine, chaining steering wheel or taking the keys

RITUAL ABUSE
- mutilation
- animal mutilation
- forced cannibalism
- human sacrifices
- suggesting or promoting suicide
- forcing victim to participate in rituals or to witness rituals
http://au.geocities.com/tigrispoet/abusetypes.htm

Last edited:
just for interest sake i dont actually agree with all of these, for instance a male refusing sex is abuse but a female refusing sex isnt:p

Oh and the thing about rough sex is sexual abuse of his partner?:p Um firstly who initated, what is rough, is it concentual ect:p

Back