Religion Just Sucks Hairy Balls and then Some

so how do you reconcile your conclusion with your initial response ....

“ Originally Posted by lightgigantic
so why condemn religion if its proper application leads to a strengthening of ethical charcater? ”

If it ever, in practice, does this as a rule and society shows true progress toward tolerance, prosperity, and happiness, let me know.
I'm too tired right now to answer this in any way that may not lead to self incrimination.

at a guess - that engineering is science - at the very least you study science to become an engineer.

You certainly don't study philosophy and art - or religion for that matter
Well, as part of our formal training we are required to take electives in the humanities and areas outside of our major. I took courses in music appreciation, applied cognition, early american archtechture, astronomy.

Many engineers are interested in a wide variety of stuff.

I must be slow. What are you talking about?

Nothing, seems weird to me that you differentiate between those who practice basic sciences from those who practice applied.

Is biomedical engineering not science? And what about those who make biological and chemical weapons? Is that science? And those who design deadly strains of viruses and diseases as weapons? Are they in science or not?

Don't scientists have to justify their basic research by showing a practical application for it? Can anyone actually do science just for fun?

Last edited:
Well, as part of our formal training we are required to take electives in the humanities and areas outside of our major. I took courses in music appreciation, applied cognition, early american archtechture, astronomy.

You say electives. Are these electives on their own sufficient to qualify you as an engineer?

Let me guess - when the time came for examinations you were really stressed about your electives

Nothing, seems weird to me that you differentiate between those who practice basic sciences from those who practice applied.
All academics make this distinction. It's completely normal. That's why we have the words scientist and engineer.

Is biomedical engineering not science? And what about those who make biological and chemical weapons? Is that science? And those who use viruses and diseases like anthrax as weapons? Are they in science or not?
Engineers use scientific methods but their goals are different.

Don't scientists have to justify their basic research by showing a practical application for it?
Of course not! Never have. Think about particle physics, astronomy, you know, the fundamental sciences.

Can anyone actually do science just for fun?
Yes! And get paid too! Really!

What I find really anomalous is that atheists claim that the absence of evidence about God does not prove his presence; yet they use the same argument to try and prove that atheism is better than theism.

All academics make this distinction. It's completely normal. That's why we have the words scientist and engineer.

Of course not! Never have. Think about particle physics, astronomy, you know, the fundamental sciences.

So those who design spaceships, rockets and missions in outer space are not scientists?

And does particle physics have anything to do with particle accelerators? Or is that not science either?

Boy look at all these fun-loving people:
http://infoproc.blogspot.com/2006/05/sad-state-of-us-particle-physics.html
http://qd.typepad.com/bigidea/2005/10/the_motivation_.html

Last edited:

I think particle physicists also contributed to devleoping laser cooling atom technology

What I find really anomalous is that atheists claim that the absence of evidence about God does not prove his presence; yet they use the same argument to try and prove that atheism is better than theism.

This is the only suffering in life - when you pull the head the tail gets stuck and when you pull the tail the head gets stuck
:confused:

Back