Redux: Rape, Abortion, and "Personhood"

Do I support the proposition? (see post #2)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I Would Like To Believe Are What You Say, But ....

ElectricFetus said:

Ok ah what is it that you think I "think and feel"? You know I'm pro-gun control, and you know I'm pro-choice, and I thought I made a clear argument why generalizations and exaggerations and slanderous labels was of ill aah character. I'm just posting responses, that what people do here, and no one asking if they are satisfied geez man you post more per day then me and usually huge awesome posts too, I don't think your satisfied and what wrong with that? we would stop talking and then the forum would be vacated if everyone was satisfied, right?

There is an apocryphal story Leninists and Trotskyists know well: One day, the Soviet police raided a cell of revolutionary traitors only to find that everyone they arrested was a provocateur working for one or another agency within the bureaucracy under the mission of ferreting out the revolutionary traitors.

I know, it's too perfect. To the other, it's exactly the sort of buffoonery we know, objectively, from the record, Stalinism is capable of.

Look, I do know what you've posted in the past. But when you're playing this provocateur role, and unwilling to come up for air, there comes a point when your parent agency wonders if you've gone rogue. Is this somehow a mystery to you?

To wit, if your point is to highlight the communicative failures of this dialogue, then one might wonder why you are so demonstrably overly sympathetic to the side you claim to not be on?

Yes, we get that this is how "they" see the world. If we understood how that worked, we wouldn't be explaining it to some dude named ElectricFetus on a minor internet discussion board, but carrying the banner to the center of the fight.

"They" are either unable or unwilling to explain how that worldview works. What, does that seem like an excessive statement? If so, feel free to explain to us how it is we are eight hundred twenty posts and fourteen months into this discussion and the one thing people don't want to address is the actual topic question, which is what happens to a woman if we grant fetal personhood.

No, really. "They" have had fourteen months, and two discussions ranging over thirteen hundred posts, in which they might explain the answers.

Where are those answers?

Not here.

Okay. Why?

And: Where are they?

Ordinarily we might consider that they simply don't want to answer because they know the answer is insufficient. Or, as I have asserted repeatedly, the problem with asking them what happens to a woman's humanity after LACP is that they must first admit that a woman is human. But I gather that you would find that unfair, that they deserve until eternity to continue avoiding the question, and everyone else ought to bend over backwards to accommodate them.

Have they a logical alternative? Then where is it?

At the point that the anti-abortion crowd is down to considering people who accept that abortion should be legal as part of the anti-abortion crowd, is there really any mystery left to what's going on here?

And yet you, who wants to be seen as the pro-choicer making the extraordinary effort of reaching out to the pro-life campaign, are doing everything you can to further stall the discussion.

Why is that?

No, really, if your point is to highlight the communicative failures of this dialogue, then why are you doing everything you can to bulwark one side of that communicative failure?

Tell me, sir, is the following an example of compromise: I will tell you what to do, think, and say; you will do it. See? Compromise—everybody has their part.

It's not that we don't get the idea of reconciliation. But you're asking for surrender.

Thus: How dedicated are you to achieving that outcome?

How important is it to you that in order to be fair, the pro-choice side should abandon the facts of medicine, biology, the historical record, and reliable psychology?

How important is it to you that people dismiss reality in order to be "fair"?

Blame others for what?

What have I blamed you for?

Right now, you seem to be rambling and you aren't really making any sense whatsoever. Are people not allowed to criticise your triage model? Is it sacred and sacrosanct? Are we allowed to question it? Disagree with it? Apply it as you are writing it?

If you have an issue with your posts being interpreted at face value, then say so. All we have are your words on the screen, nothing more and nothing less. So we take your words directly and not indirectly through a series of body language queues and possible hand signals you may be doing by yourself. At present, you present an explanation of a triage model for pregnant women whereby you claim that the person with most chances of surviving may be saved and when it it correctly applied to this current case, you get snippy and ask how anyone could have come to that conclusion, then when I ask you what you are on about, you seem to believe I am blaming you.

Umm.. okay. Whatever you say, Wynn.:shrug:

:crazy:

Okay..

You're not quite all there, are you?

Did LG quote you? I wouldn't know. I have only ever seen him use the triage model when it comes to abortion. Never you. I am not privy to all of our discussions, thankfully.

But you seem to have an issue and you seem to go off into this paranoid fantasy land. I don't know what you are trying to prove or to whom, but to put it mildly, you aren't really making any sense. For example, when people interpret your words correctly, you become almost offended. We ask you questions about what you are posting because not only are you making very little sense, but you seem to be all over the place and you contradict yourself constantly. It's almost as if you are conversing with yourself and giving yourself counter arguments that you seem to believe others are making when we are not.

As I said, if you have something in your head, we don't know what it is. We can only go by what you are posting on this site. And James and I are not alone in reading and taking your posts at face value.

Suit yourself.

You and the zealots among Catholics deserve eachother.
You are creating your own hell, and you demand to have that right respected.
Suit yourself.

Oscar Wilde noted - Philantrophic people lose all sense of humanity. It's their distinguishing characteristic. You are living proof of that.

No sense and no clue make Wynn something something...

Suit yourself.

You and the zealots among Catholics deserve eachother.
You are creating your own hell, and you demand to have that right respected.
Suit yourself.

Oscar Wilde noted - Philantrophic people lose all sense of humanity. It's their distinguishing characteristic. You are living proof of that.
Ooookay then.:crazy:

I am, however, curious. When you tell me that I am apparently creating my own hell, is this you showing your humanity?

No matter. I am sure you have some walking in circles to do, so please, carry on.:)

Righteo..

I see we are still in Wynn's la la land.

Take care of yourself Wynn.:)
Or alternatively, Bell's la la land, where she demands others not "perversely" interfere with the "reproductive organs of women" yet simultaneously demand a host of public infrastructure measures to facilitate solutions to problems associated with the "reproductive organs of women".

:shrug:

How important is it to you that in order to be fair, the pro-choice side should abandon the facts of medicine, biology, the historical record, and reliable psychology?

How important is it to you that people dismiss reality in order to be "fair"?

How is not calling someone names too much "fairness" I'm not asking you to drop science, just pointing out when someone is resort to name calling, irrationality and fallacies. What "surrender" am I asking for, to stay focused on the issue of disproving personhoood, to not stoop to their level? How is that asking for "surrender"? I'm not asking for "reconciliation" either just mature adult behavior.

How is not calling someone names too much "fairness" I'm not asking you to drop science, just pointing out when someone is resort to name calling, irrationality and fallacies. What "surrender" am I asking for, to stay focused on the issue of disproving personhoood, to not stoop to their level? How is that asking for "surrender"? I'm not asking for "reconciliation" either just mature adult behavior.
You believe your performance in this thread is akin to mature adult behaviour?

Hah!

lightgigantic said:
Or alternatively, Bell's la la land, where she demands others not "perversely" interfere with the "reproductive organs of women" yet simultaneously demand a host of public infrastructure measures to facilitate solutions to problems associated with the "reproductive organs of women".
Yes LG. I believe women should have access to safe reproductive health care. How perverse of me. How absolutely awful that I expect women to be able to access safe health care while still having a say about their sexual and reproductive rights.

Is this yet another tactic? Whine that women get to have rights over their reproductive organs and get safe health care and services at the same time? How dare I demand "a host of public infrastructure measures" to ensure women can get safe health care. You must believe differently if you are going to expect that this latest attempt by you be taken seriously.

Do you believe differently?

Or are you of the squat in an alley while someone uses a coat hanger type of guy?

More so then you frankly, and also nice ad hominem tu quoque.
Are you offended that I and others did not give your performance in this thread the credit you believe it was due?

As my colleague pointed out above, you cannot be offended when people assign the correct term to your behaviour. You haven't added anything of value. You claim to be playing a role of devil's advocate, but you weren't. Because the devil is not stupid. And at its heart, your argument was obscenely stupid. The rest of us were sitting back and watching you perform and make a fool of yourself, but there was no stopping you. You have spent page after page ignoring the debate and instead focusing on things that not only made little sense, but you were trying your hardest to steer the thread off topic and into tangents that just wasted everyone's time.

If people have issues with being referred to with what fits their behaviour, then perhaps they should look at why others may view them in such a way. Because when you deliberately go out of your way to act like you are thick and a misogynist, then we will treat you as though you are thick and a misogynist.

Don't like the term? Then don't be and act like the term.

Are you offended that I and others did not give your performance in this thread the credit you believe it was due?

As my colleague pointed out above, you cannot be offended when people assign the correct term to your behaviour. You haven't added anything of value. You claim to be playing a role of devil's advocate, but you weren't. Because the devil is not stupid. And at its heart, your argument was obscenely stupid. The rest of us were sitting back and watching you perform and make a fool of yourself, but there was no stopping you. You have spent page after page ignoring the debate and instead focusing on things that not only made little sense, but you were trying your hardest to steer the thread off topic and into tangents that just wasted everyone's time.

If people have issues with being referred to with what fits their behaviour, then perhaps they should look at why others may view them in such a way. Because when you deliberately go out of your way to act like you are thick and a misogynist, then we will treat you as though you are thick and a misogynist.

Note the striking similarity between Bells' and right-winger rhetorics.

Same bosiness. Same presumption of moral and cognitive superiority. Same ignoring of what the other person is actually saying. Same absolute confidence. Same assumption of total authority.

Guns are bad and should be illegal ... regardless of the Second Amendment. This, I would argue, is a bit of an authoritarian (i.e., "fascist") argument. Guns are designed specifically for killing people; there should be no accidents, thus a gun owner should be held accountable for every round fired.[/i] While the idea that there are no accidents makes for popular rhetoric, it is already evident to me, according to this proposition, that firearm owners refuse to be held accountable for "accidents", such as not checking that the gun is unloaded before cleaning it, or some other stupid excuse for why someone else is accidentally dead.
Indeed. In the USA there are five fatal "accidents" for every legitimate gunshot in self-defense against a human or wild animal with the ability and desire to cause serious harm or death.

I honestly don't care what you think of me, I'm merely going to point out the flaws in your logic and speaking, question everything, it my nature, believe that or not.

That your an Tiassa interpretation. I believe I made my self clear repeatedly on the nature of my argument, the focus must be on personhood of a fetus and what rights should morally be ascribe to such things, if you believe that is somehow off-topic for this thread, I recommend you rename the title of this thread. I have replied to both you an Tiassa, publicly and privately on your arguments repeatedly in this thread so I don't believe I've been ignoring anything. As for time wasting, yes it clear that you believe what you believe, see what you see and nothing will sway you otherwise and I'm wasting time replying to you as if falls on deaf ears.

You are hatefilled and spitefull, that fits your behavior and I recommend (which will be ignored) that you look into why I and others view you as such.

They are not acting like 'perverts', the term is not validly applied to them, it bring no practical value either, it only continues and endless debate consisting of name calling and mindless appeals to emotion.

Notes Around

ElectricFetus said:

How is not calling someone names too much "fairness" I'm not asking you to drop science, just pointing out when someone is resort to name calling, irrationality and fallacies.

Well, in the first place, let us consider what happens if your wish is granted:

• Anti-abortion advocates present insupportable rhetoric, call pro-choice people baby-killers.

• Pro-choice responds with statistics and other data showing the challenges facing the policy.

• Anti-abortion advocates reiterate their insupportable rhetoric, ignore pro-choice argument, call pro-choice advocates murderers.

— Somewhere in there, a doctor is shot to death.

— Several state governments rally to the insupportable rhetoric, pass new laws, and skip the bit about patient safety, boasting that the purpose is to shut down abortion in the state. (Note: This is the fastest way to get a usurpation of recognized constitutional rights thrown out, as Republicans in Mississippi learned.)​

• Pro-choice reiterates statistics and data showing objective case in support of their position.

• Anti-abortion advocates ignore pro-choice argument, issue "Wanted Dead or Alive" posters.

— When another doctor is shot to death, the anti-abortion advocates split into two general camps: One seeks to justify the shooting of a mass-murdering doctor who performs legal abortions; the other seeks to separate the facts of the movment's violent rhetoric and inclusion of the eventual shooter in their community from the fact that said individual just committed murder.

— What does the world see? Part of the anti-abortion camp says, "It's not our fault." Another says, "He deserved to die!" And on the next day they will be one body politic again. Under what other circumstances are both state and society in general expected to be so tolerant of terrorism and murder?​

• Here we can slip into the microcosm, or else simply reiterate the macrocosmic view of constant reiteration.

• In the microcosmic view, a choice advocate asks the obvious question: Okay, look, what happens after you get your way?

• Over the course of fourteen months and over a thousand posts in the discussions, consideration of that question is willfully ignored.

• Along comes some dude who thinks he's got an answer: Hey, you know, you guys should just be more polite to the anti-abortion advocates, and then maybe they'll be reasonable.

It's not that we don't get where you're coming from, but rather that your argument is insanely naïve for discounting history (constant disrespect, emotional appeals, and ad hominem arguments) and the current assertion that this is about the public relations war.

At which point we come back to the insults themselves. To call choice advocates murderers or baby-killers is subjective, kind of like calling someone an asshole is subjective. But misogyny? That can be objectively measured, and the only way around that is to once again hold women separate from humanity. Black? Hispanic? Illegal immigrant? Despite the best efforts of the racists, there are protections in place against passing "ostensibly" "neutral" legislation that disproportionately affects those groups. Yet when it comes to women? Well, the argument is that it is not misogynistic to deliberately pass a law that disproportionately impacts women, and in order to accommodate an aesthetic religious fantasy that has no historical, scientific, or other support. This would be an extraordinary assertion; we're talking about laws that disproportionately impact the majority of our population.

So let us get back to your proposition that we need to go easy on the anti-abortion advocates. What do you expect this to accomplish?

What "surrender" am I asking for, to stay focused on the issue of disproving personhoood, to not stoop to their level?

You're asking for proof of negative, which is generally considered a fallacious demand.

The issue of personhood was granted at the outset in order to consider its impacts on women.

Fourteen months and thirteen hundred posts later, personhood advocates still refuse to address this question.

And here you are encouraging the abandonment of that question so that we might continue to play kid gloves with a fallacy deliberately intended to forestall discussion of the question.

Your recommendation amounts to: Just give them what they want.

What happens next is an important consideration. Kind of like those people who want to abolish the Federal Reserve; it's not just that none of them can explain what happens next, or how life gets better as a result. There is also the fact that they tend to flee the question. The same applies here: It is not simply that none of them can answer the question, but also that they are in screaming flight from it.

I'm not asking for "reconciliation" either just mature adult behavior.

And your request attends what period? Eternity?

What? When, in your opinion, is it okay to throw down and fight? Your present argument leaves open the possibility that one side of this argument ought to handicap itself forever. You know, in order to be "fair".

And therein lies the problem. Before these fourteen months, these thirteen hundred posts, certain lines were already drawn. These boundaries are fallacious and vicious. The sides have stopped talking to one another because at some point reality fails to persuade the fantasist in defense of his most valuable currency, the eternal soul. The sides are playing to the gallery, campaigning for electoral support.

History, ontology, and law mean nothing in effect to the anti-abortion campaign. This is observable in the laws they pursue and their refusal to establish their core argument—personhood before conception (LACP in the topic proposition acknowledges the assertion that "conception" and "fertilization" are synonymous, and that implantation of the zygote into the uterine wall—the medical consideration of conception—is irrelevant).

A great, apocryphal story from a guy I know who attended one of the nation's premiere universities: So he's at this party, getting stoned and huffing whippits. The air is thick with smoke and fuzzy, buzzing guitars, and he's over in the corner having one of the most incredible conversations of his life. Detailed, nuanced, philosophical ... it was a life-changing conversation—with a floor lamp.

I raise this point because the discussion he had with the sixty-cycle hum and its tonal variants in that environment was likely more substantial and productive than what you're pushing.

Forty-one years, sir. For over forty years, the anti-abortion movement has been pushing this fallacious argument, and for all conservatives complain about political correctness, they hide behind it on this count; it is not politically correct, apparently, to point out the fallacy—we must extend extraordinary charity and pretend that there is no fallacy.

Based on this fallacy, the movement has spent forty-one years thinking up new and not-so-creative ways of insulting the other side. Murderers, wanted dead or alive?

Talking to the anti-abortion movement is largely problematic. Indeed, if they ever come up with something useful, we're happy to talk to them. But as long as the prerequisite for communication means adoption of fallacy as fact, aesthetics as objective, and the statistically observable negative impacts of their policies on women as irrelevant to the issue, talking to them is an exercise in futility.

In terms of campaigning? Yes, it is time for people to be aware of what they're supporting, which is a misogynistic outcome. If their argument was objective, then misogyny would be a much different consideration in this context.

The seasoned veterans of the anti-abortion movement will respond predictably, by complaining that accurate descriptions of his behavior are inappropriate in the discussion. But not everyone in our society is so resolved. Certainly, there will be some fence-sitters and even moderate choice advocates who will here the misogyny argument and be put off by it, but there are also some of those who will see its mechanics and their future decisions, like those put off by the argument, will be affected to some degree.

This is a campaign.

You want to talk to the anti-abortion movement? They were given a chance in these threads: Okay, so we grant your personhood, so what happens next?

Fourteen months. Thirteen hundred posts through two versions of this thread.

Where is the answer?

They have been offered a chance to talk to us, to address our concerns that they apparently believe exaggerated or invented as fantasy, or whatever, and this despite the fact that those concerns have observable elements in play today.

And whether we want to address the implications of LACP, the incarceration of pregnant women in hospitals, the use of laws ostensibly passed to protect women from domestic violence to prosecute women for miscarriages, or even the mere history and ontology of their argument, the answer is always the same hardline insistence without any real explanation.

Even their "triage model" is intended to avoid this discussion; we've been hearing about it for fourteen months, and it only really came to a head in recent days. We have been subject to this assertion of a "triage model" through most of these fourteen months, and it has always been a very dry, nondescript assertion. But take a look at what happens when people try to apply the process in practical theory.

No, really. You get faux disbelief and a repetition of the nondescript assertion.

And more disbelief and indignance.

And incomprehensible posts.

I mean, advocates are more willing to talk about who came up with the idea than actually explain in practical terms how it works.

In the end, though, we come back to your question: How is specifically refraining from accurate descriptions of bad behavior fair?

How is not calling someone names too much fairness? When the effect of that appeal is to banish accurate descriptions of bad behavior from the discussion.

Analogously, we might suggest that it is not "fair" to call Ivan Okhlobystin homophobic. After all, that's just not fair. All he said was that he would roast every gay person alive in an oven. I mean, to call that "homophobic" is just a desperate political slur, right?

That is the essence of what you're arguing. That it is unfair to call the willful harm of women in order to fulfill a fantasy misogynistic.

If that's the new battleground, so be it. One side of this dispute bases its fundamental arguments on analyses of fact. The other bases its fundamental arguments in an unsupported ontological assertion specifically crafted to foment this dispute. But we certainly shouldn't call that fallacy misogynistic for the harm it would cause women, right?

Because willfully harming women in pursuit of one's own aesthetic fantasy is anything but misogynistic.

Right?

• • •​

Lightgigantic said:

Would you assert that reproductive health is not part of health care?

It is problematic, in consideration of history, to try to turn the question of whether or not to exclude a woman's reproductive care from health insurance into some unreasonable demand that finds its most prominent expression in people like Rush Limbaugh and Mike Huckabee, who apparently don't have a clue what they're talking about. Indeed, those who would inquire whether better women's health, mental health, economic standing, and educational achievement can be attributed in any way to legal abortion, or whether those results are from other parts of feminism, can see there the spillover. Remember that LACP would outlaw hormonal birth control and IUDs, because they prevent implantation, and LACP is actually Life at Fertilization Personhood.

In the end, what we have is a set of laws pertaining to health care. In order to be "fair" to a substantial political bloc, those laws are being customized to exclude a range of women's reproductive health care. The resulting dispute is one of equal protection for women, not some radio host's obsession with women who get laid.

• • •​

Wynn said:

Note the striking similarity between Bells' and right-winger rhetorics.

Same bosiness. Same presumption of moral and cognitive superiority. Same ignoring of what the other person is actually saying. Same absolute confidence. Same assumption of total authority.

Note the lack of any substantial response. Once again we come back to the old conservative argument: I can insult you according to my fantasy, but how dare you accurately describe my behavior!

Or, to put it simply, you're a really bad campaigner, Wynn. At some point, people might start believing you're a pro-choice advocate in the middle of one of history's worst provocateur performances.

• • •​

Bells said:

Is this yet another tactic? Whine that women get to have rights over their reproductive organs and get safe health care and services at the same time?

While the tactical approach is unclear, the neurotic suggestion is apparent:

A Possible Argument:

(1) Yes, women are humans and entitled to human rights.

(2) Yes, the fact that women can become pregnant must proscribe their human rights.

(3) These are the reasons why.

(4) This is what needs to happen, and the impacts as we understand them.​

The observation that LG and his fellows still refuse to acknowledge point (1) above is telling.

Of course, so is the forty-one years since Roe that the anti-abortion movement has spent avoiding this argumentative structure.

Thus, to reiterate: The problem with the topic proposition might well be that in order to suspend a woman's general human rights she must first have them.

I mean, how easy is it to attend points one and two? Therein lies the tragedy; we can never get to points three and four because that first sentence represents a belief or acknowledgment that has yet to germinate within the anti-abortion movement.

• • •​

Would you assert that reproductive health is not part of health care?

It is problematic, in consideration of history, to try to turn the question of whether or not to exclude a woman's reproductive care from health insurance into some unreasonable demand that finds its most prominent expression in people like Rush Limbaugh and Mike Huckabee, who apparently don't have a clue what they're talking about. Indeed, those who would inquire whether better women's health, mental health, economic standing, and educational achievement can be attributed in any way to legal abortion, or whether those results are from other parts of feminism, can see there the spillover. Remember that LACP would outlaw hormonal birth control and IUDs, because they prevent implantation, and LACP is actually Life at Fertilization Personhood.

In the end, what we have is a set of laws pertaining to health care. In order to be "fair" to a substantial political bloc, those laws are being customized to exclude a range of women's reproductive health care. The resulting dispute is one of equal protection for women, not some radio host's obsession with women who get laid.

• • •​
I would assert that its a dishonest name-calling tactic to suggest those critical of the issue are "perverts interfering with the reproductive organs of women" when the very solution advocated dictates mandatory legislative measures to insure such "interference".

IOW if Bells can't even advocate a solution between consenting parties (ie women who want abortions and doctors whose ethical barometers aren't slighted by performing such procedures) its poor form for her to dictate her adversaries as "*interfering* perverts".

To my thinking, if she is not satisfied with the current status quo, it would probably pay to engage in discussing ethical issues.
Its becoming obvious to myself and several posters on this thread that this is not possible for her.

Last edited:
Note the lack of any substantial response. Once again we come back to the old conservative argument: I can insult you according to my fantasy, but how dare you accurately describe my behavior!

Or, to put it simply, you're a really bad campaigner, Wynn. At some point, people might start believing you're a pro-choice advocate in the middle of one of history's worst provocateur performances.

• • •​
"I can insult you according to my fantasy, but how dare you accurately describe my behavior" is evidently where bell's is coming from.

You describe it as "the old conservative argument" but you should understand that there is never just *one* extreme to an argument : there is always at least two.
Its the nature of diametric opposites to employ practically the same techniques (often resulting in the same ends) when wielded by fanatic extremists.

IOW it becomes an irony that (any!) two diametrically opposed ideologies become practically identical when brought to the fore by idiots.

A Possible Argument:

(1) Yes, women are humans and entitled to human rights.

(2) Yes, the fact that women can become pregnant must proscribe their human rights.

(3) These are the reasons why.

(4) This is what needs to happen, and the impacts as we understand them.​
So, in the example of Gianna Jessen, exactly which individuals are the culpable parties infringing on her human rights?

What is missing from this "possible argument" is *any sort of acknowledgement* of a second party, namely the child in the womb, bearing any sort of claim to rights.

IOW at the core of your insistence that "refusal to come to the table of my demands constitutes a violation of the first premise" is *a complete absence* of a premise that is pivotal for those who question the ethics of the issue.

And as a further point, from here I guess we could *actually* discuss this ethical issue or alternatively yell "Pervert!" and "Murderer!" in a way that is only limited by the quantity of our bile secretions.

It's Only Fair If We Spot You How Many Points?

Lightgigantic said:

I would assert that its a dishonest name-calling tactic to suggest those critical of the issue are "perverts interfering with the reproductive organs of women" when the very solution advocated dictates mandatory legislative measures to insure such "interference".

IOW if Bells can't even advocate a solution between consenting parties (ie women who want abortions and doctors whose ethical barometers aren't slighted by performing such procedures) its poor form for her to dictate her adversaries as "*interfering* perverts".

To my thinking, if she is not satisfied with the current status quo, it would probably pay to engage in discussing ethical issues.
Its becoming obvious to myself and several posters on this thread that this is not possible for her.

What's that? No answer to the question? No surprise in that.

"I can insult you according to my fantasy, but how dare you accurately describe my behavior" is evidently where bell's is coming from.

You describe it as "the old conservative argument" but you should understand that there is never just *one* extreme to an argument : there is always at least two.
Its the nature of diametric opposites to employ practically the same techniques (often resulting in the same ends) when wielded by fanatic extremists.

IOW it becomes an irony that (any!) two diametrically opposed ideologies become practically identical when brought to the fore by idiots.

What's that? More avoidance of the issue with a general assertion and no specific illustration to support the point?

Again, no surprise in that.

Lightgigantic said:

So, in the example of Gianna Jessen, exactly which individuals are the culpable parties infringing on her human rights?

From the sound of it, there's certainly a malpractice claim to be had there.

What is missing from this "possible argument" is *any sort of acknowledgement* of a second party, namely the child in the womb, bearing any sort of claim to rights.

That would fall under point (3), when the reasons why the policy must be this way comes to supporting and affirming the assertion of personhood at conception or fertilization.

IOW at the core of your insistence that "refusal to come to the table of my demands constitutes a violation of the first premise" is *a complete absence* of a premise that is pivotal for those who question the ethics of the issue.

I'm sure that sentence probably makes sense to you.

And as a further point, from here I guess we could *actually* discuss this ethical issue or alternatively yell "Pervert!" and "Murderer!" in a way that is only limited by the quantity of our bile secretions.

Fourteen months. Thirteen hundred posts. Two threads. We're still waiting for you to discuss the ethical issue at the heart of this thread.

So what's the problem? Is it that you are incapable of answering the issue? Or that you are simply unwilling?

I mean take a look at your argument:

"What is missing from this 'possible argument' is *any sort of acknowledgement* of a second party, namely the child in the womb, bearing any sort of claim to rights."

So tell us, is explaining your outlook my job?

Once again, you affirm the assertion that the anti-abortion argument stands entirely on presupposition.

No, really. Think of it this way: So a woman is a human being, and entitled to human rights. To the other, we assert that the fact that she can be pregnant affects these human rights. These are the reasons ______ (fetal personhood, historical tradition, whatever else) and these are the expected results _____ (fill in the blank).

Now, what you're complaining about is that the argumentative form does not presuppose your argument. There are plenty of words to describe this sort of behavior, and in truth, none of them are terms people appreciate being applied to them.

So quit complaining, and try something more useful.

Do as I say ... Not as I do

What's that? No answer to the question? No surprise in that.

Was it a question about women's healthcare or Bell's use of the word "pervert" to tar her opposition?

IOW you advocate a solution that *demands* at its core "interference with women's reproductive organs", so its poor form to use that as a platform for insulting others.

What's that? More avoidance of the issue with a general assertion and no specific illustration to support the point?

Again, no surprise in that.
Its a general assertion that, atm, is getting *prolific* illustration ...

From the sound of it, there's certainly a malpractice claim to be had there.
By whom and for what?
By the mother for not finishing the job properly?

That would fall under point (3), when the reasons why the policy must be this way comes to supporting and affirming the assertion of personhood at conception or fertilization.
or alternatively, by supporting and affirming the assertion that personhood doesn't exist.
All we are receiving at the moment are ad homs.
:Shrug:

Fourteen months. Thirteen hundred posts. Two threads. We're still waiting for you to discuss the ethical issue at the heart of this thread.
well, whenever you are ready to lead by example ... as opposed to endorsing ad homs

So what's the problem? Is it that you are incapable of answering the issue? Or that you are simply unwilling?
the problem, atm, is that bells believes she has an endorsed right to ad hom ... which, regardless of your ideological stance, is a sure sign that intelligent discussion has broken down.

"What is missing from this 'possible argument' is *any sort of acknowledgement* of a second party, namely the child in the womb, bearing any sort of claim to rights."

So tell us, is explaining your outlook my job?
what is there to explain?
Issues surrounding a second person are involved.
How difficult is that?

Once again, you affirm the assertion that the anti-abortion argument stands entirely on presupposition.
On the contrary, you affirm the assertion that there is no person in the womb and that stands entirely on presupposition.

No, really. Think of it this way: So a woman is a human being, and entitled to human rights. To the other, we assert that the fact that she can be pregnant affects these human rights. These are the reasons ______ (fetal personhood, historical tradition, whatever else) and these are the expected results _____ (fill in the blank).
Think of it this way : So a child in the womb is entitled to rights.
IOW it then becomes an issue of contingency between what individuals provide and what others demand ... (which, contrary to popular belief, doesn't automatically default to one of the said parties having NO rights) . If you want to argue that contingency (or one group of individuals demanding something from another group of empowered ones) is a basis for throwing out the case, then suddenly you land yourself on a very slippery slope.

In fact if you want to reject contingency then you don't even have a platform for using public resources to provide facilities for the service of abortion.

Now, what you're complaining about is that the argumentative form does not presuppose your argument. There are plenty of words to describe this sort of behavior, and in truth, none of them are terms people appreciate being applied to them.
The problem is that you haven't taken *your* argument outside of the confines of what, IYHO, legitimizes ad homs.
Or, as I said, there is never just *one* extreme in any argument, so it *might* pay to exercise a bit of thought in perhaps what form that *other* extreme might take ...

So quit complaining, and try something more useful.
will the irony never end?

Last edited:
(Insert Title Here)

Lightgigantic said:

Was it a question about women's healthcare or Bell's use of the word "pervert" to tar her opposition?

It's a question that responds to your characterization of the issue:

"Or alternatively, Bell's la la land, where she demands others not "perversely" interfere with the 'reproductive organs of women' yet simultaneously demand a host of public infrastructure measures to facilitate solutions to problems associated with the 'reproductive organs of women'."

The part I boldfaced has argumentative merit if we exclude reproductive health from health care.

That's the whole point of the question: Is reproductive health part of health care or not?

Go on, give it a try. It's not a tough one to answer. Here, I'll use a silly proposition to illustrate:

Proposition: Reproductive health is not part of general healthcare because reproductive health issues have no relation to or impact on general health.​

Is that proposition remotely accurate? Now, we both know it's not, but at this point I'm tapped: How are you separating reproductive health from general health?

Its a general assertion that, atm, is getting *prolific* illustration ...

Then share your illustrations with the rest of us. Rubber and glue do not an illustration make.

By whom and for what?
By the mother for not finishing the job properly?

Oh, right. No doctor. Sorry, I forgot that little detail. In that case, no, there's no malpractice claim to be had.

I have asserted repeatedly that I have a dryfoot policy, and I have explained repeatedly why that is—existentially, ontologically, historically, and scientifically. Jessen has a legitimate complaint about the damage she suffers in life, but her rights in utero? Why would you even ask me that? It is already well-established what my answer is, and why I would answer that way.

or alternatively, by supporting and affirming the assertion that personhood doesn't exist.
All we are receiving at the moment are ad homs.

You are making the extraordinary assertion. I have reviewed my position regarding the historical, ontological, existential, and scientific considerations of why a fertilized egg isn't a person. This is the standing paradigm. Life at fertilization is a very recent innovation compared to the history of willfully terminating pregnancies. Even the theological justifications I have encountered explaining why this is a religious issue don't quite work; it's an ad hoc artile of faith that is only true because the believer says it is true.

It would be one thing if you would address the points already on the record, explain why they are insufficient, and then making your demand that the standing paradigm be viewed as what you say it is. Functionally, historically, statistically, and in any scientific way you can describe reality, the assertion of fertilization personhood has not been the working paradigm.

See, the thing is that you're doing both at once. That is, you're refusing to affirmatively support your assertion of personhood at fertilization, and you're also refusing to consider the issues that are already on the table anyway, despite your fallacious appeals to the other.

well, whenever you are ready to lead by example ... as opposed to endorsing ad homs

Funny, coming from the guy who rushed to change the subject.

Fourteen months. Thirteen hundred posts. Two threads.

You still insist on changing the subject.

the problem, atm, is that bells believes she has an endorsed right to ad hom ... which, regardless of your ideological stance, is a sure sign that intelligent discussion has broken down.

Well, you know, given that the alternative is to simply exclude you from the discussion for the fact of your excessive deliberate effort to troll the threads.

You are rude. You argue from a position of ignorance. If you insist on your right to be a troll, then take the lumps.

what is there to explain?
Issues surrounding a second person are involved.
How difficult is that?

We await the explanation that justifies your invention of a second person. You assert that there is a second person; certainly you must have some idea of why you believe that. How difficult is that?

Think of it this way : So a child in the womb is entitled to rights.
IOW it then becomes an issue of contingency between what individuals provide and what others demand ... (which, contrary to popular belief, doesn't automatically default to one of the said parties having NO rights) . If you want to argue that contingency (or one group of individuals demanding something from another group of empowered ones) is a basis for throwing out the case, then suddenly you land yourself on a very slippery slope.

You need to support that first sentence. When you are proposing a fundamental change to the existing paradigm, you are making the extraordinary assertion.

At present, the fertilized ovum is a child in the womb because you say so. That's it. That's all you've got.

On the contrary, you affirm the assertion that there is no person in the womb and that stands entirely on presupposition.

Had you actually bothered to attempt to address the historical, existential, ontological, and scientific issues, maybe you could try that line and maintain a shred of integrity. I mean, you understand, do you not, you are making a complaint about the absence of arguments that are on the record and you simply have chosen to not engage?

No, really, do you actually understand the mechanics of your own arguments? They are specifically designed that you might pedal the velocipede as long an hard as you want, and still go nowhere.

The problem is that you haven't taken *your* argument outside of the confines of what, IYHO, legitimizes ad homs.
Or, as I said, there is never just *one* extreme in any argument, so it *might* pay to exercise a bit of thought in perhaps what form that *other* extreme might take ...

Try something more than bland, general slogans.

You're not dealing with Kermit Gosnell, here. We are, however, dealing with an anti-abortion ideology that inspires terrorism.

So how about you try getting specific, if you're going to keep hiding behind such bland generalizations?

will the irony never end?

Maybe if that's your only sustenance. You'll eventually starve to death.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back