Redux: Rape, Abortion, and "Personhood"

Do I support the proposition? (see post #2)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems to me that each camp wants to have its way.

If you can suggest a suitable middle-ground "workable solution", please do so. It appears to me that one camp will have its way, one way or the other.
why do you think triage models are not "workable solutions"?
(since such models also accommodate the performance of abortion without trampling on anyone's category of being "a person")

The idea of a "potential person" is a common one in the pro-life argument.
and the idea that children in the womb have no greater ontological category than body tissue is a common one of the other.

I'd like to point out that a potential anything generally does not have the same rights as the thing itself. For example, Prince William is a potential King of England. Does that mean that he - right now - should be treated as if he is already the King? Leonardo di Capprio is a potential Best Actor Oscar winner. Does that mean that we should all - right now - be congratulating him on winning his statuette?

A potential child is not a child, and there's no reason it should - right now - have the same rights as a child merely because of some unrealised potential.
To start with, I don't think "potential" is the correct term. It should be "developing", since the whole endeavor of an abortion is aimed at frustrating that end.
If the "potential" hadn't already established itself, no one would be seeking an abortion in the first place.

IOW its about a course of events that are already underway to lead to a specific situation. So it would be more akin to a disruption in the coronation of Prince William or the award ceremony of Leonardo di Capprio (at least when you talk of introducing external catalysts, such as those employed in abortion, in order to derail the likely inevitability of a sequence).

The medical records the hospital sent to the family's lawyers describe the foetal abnormalities and possibly maybe even the state of her body.

Munoz's attorneys, Heather King and Jessica Hall Janicek, issued a statement Wednesday describing the condition of the fetus, now believed to be at about 22 weeks' gestation. King and Janicek based their statement on medical records they received from the hospital.

"According to the medical records we have been provided, the fetus is distinctly abnormal," the attorneys said. "Even at this early stage, the lower extremities are deformed to the extent that the gender cannot be determined."

The attorneys said the fetus also has fluid building up inside the skull and possibly has a heart problem.

"Quite sadly, this information is not surprising due to the fact that the fetus, after being deprived of oxygen for an indeterminate length of time, is gestating within a dead and deteriorating body, as a horrified family looks on in absolute anguish, distress and sadness," the attorneys said.

Which begs the question, did they tell the father? Or did the poor man find out when the hospital was forced to send the medical records to his lawyers before it goes to court on Friday?

Either way, what this hospital is doing to her husband and her parents and her son is beyond reprehensible.

actually it begs the question whether we start to determine the level of disability as a determent of life.

Demonizing the other side? In this case, that means holding dishonest behavior in disgust. What don't you like? Pro-life perverts? It's already demonstrable that the anti-abortion crowd is itself obsessed with women's sex lives, and overlaps with other social movements displaying an unnaturally acute focus on other people's sex lives. Is it demonizing the other side to find that leering behavior creepy? I mean, under any other circumstance, that sort of leering behavior is customarily considered creepy.

Are you also applying those misandrist stereotypes to the 57% of women who hold a pro-life view (that abortion should be either illegal altogether or legal only in a few circumstances)? How exactly is this majority of women "perverts"?

Hate speech and stereotyping
6. Hate speech, defined as the vilification of a group of people based on their race, religion, country of origin, sex, sexual orientation, political affiliation etc. is not tolerated on sciforums.

7. Stereotyping a member based on his or her membership of a group (e.g. his or her race, religion, country of origin, sex, sexual orientation, political affiliation) is unlikely to be conducive to civil discussion and will usually attract moderator attention. It is acceptable to point out similarities and differences among groups, but only as long as this is supported by argument or evidence.

8. The use of vulgar or demeaning words to describe a group of people – particularly a group that includes a member whom you are addressing – is unacceptable.​

I'd like to point out that a potential anything generally does not have the same rights as the thing itself. For example, Prince William is a potential King of England. Does that mean that he - right now - should be treated as if he is already the King? Leonardo di Capprio is a potential Best Actor Oscar winner. Does that mean that we should all - right now - be congratulating him on winning his statuette?

A potential child is not a child, and there's no reason it should - right now - have the same rights as a child merely because of some unrealised potential.

Being in-line for the crown and an Oscar nominee definitely does accrue more recognition, and in some cases privilege, than those void of such potential. So by your argument, some consideration of potential is valid.

Are you also applying those misandrist stereotypes to the 57% of women who hold a pro-life view (that abortion should be either illegal altogether or legal only in a few circumstances)? How exactly is this majority of women "perverts"?
Firstly, could you please explain how you came to that figure? Your link does not state that 57% of women hold a pro-life view.

** Edit, never mind, I see where you got it from now..**

Did you scroll down where it said abortion should be legal but only under certain circumstances? How do you think the majority of Americans would feel about keeping a dead woman on life support without consent because people wholly unconnected to her are pro-life and believe that abortion should should be banned - since they have banned abortions in their hospital?

Secondly..

Hate speech and stereotyping
6. Hate speech, defined as the vilification of a group of people based on their race, religion, country of origin, sex, sexual orientation, political affiliation etc. is not tolerated on sciforums.

7. Stereotyping a member based on his or her membership of a group (e.g. his or her race, religion, country of origin, sex, sexual orientation, political affiliation) is unlikely to be conducive to civil discussion and will usually attract moderator attention. It is acceptable to point out similarities and differences among groups, but only as long as this is supported by argument or evidence.

8. The use of vulgar or demeaning words to describe a group of people – particularly a group that includes a member whom you are addressing – is unacceptable.​
What would you call strangers who obsesses over your sexual organs and wishes to control it and its contents?
Being in-line for the crown and an Oscar nominee definitely does accrue more recognition, and in some cases privilege, than those void of such potential. So by your argument, some consideration of potential is valid.
Does not mean their rights suddenly trump anyone else's.

lightgigantic:

why do you think triage models are not "workable solutions"?

Sorry, I haven't read the whole thread, so I don't know what these triage models you mention might involve. Can you fill me in, briefly?

and the idea that children in the womb have no greater ontological category than body tissue is a common one of the other.

True. Both positions attempt to postulate a state of affairs which doesn't tell the whole truth, and which predisposes one towards a predetermined conclusion.

If you're an extremist, then you'll say something like: as soon as conception occurs, you have a child that's entitled to all the rights of a newborn infant.
If you're an extremist on the other side, you'll say something like: there's no child until the moment of birth, so abortion is just fine any time up to then.

Reasonable people tend to recognise that the development from conception to birth is an ongoing process, so there should be a sliding scale of "rights" for the embryo/foetus/child involved.

My impression is that there are more extremists on the pro-life side of the abortion debate than on the pro-choice side.

To start with, I don't think "potential" is the correct term. It should be "developing", since the whole endeavor of an abortion is aimed at frustrating that end.
If the "potential" hadn't already established itself, no one would be seeking an abortion in the first place.

IOW its about a course of events that are already underway to lead to a specific situation. So it would be more akin to a disruption in the coronation of Prince William or the award ceremony of Leonardo di Capprio (at least when you talk of introducing external catalysts, such as those employed in abortion, in order to derail the likely inevitability of a sequence).

To continue my analogy, di Capprio's Oscar is also on a sliding scale. Before he was cast in the Wolf of Wall Street, he had no chance of winning Best Actor for that film. After the filming was complete, his chances increased. In the leadup to the actual awards, his chances have increased still further. But, after the votes of the Academy have been finalised, his status as Best Actor winner will either be greatly strengthened or else diminish to zero. Then, he has to get to the actual awards ceremony and receive the award - something that is still not guaranteed.

If somebody in the Academy decided to conduct a campaign among the voters to deny di Capprio the Oscar, would they be in a position similar to that of a mother who decides to abort her foetus? Would they be morally blamed for denying di Capprio the fulfilment of his potential as Best Actor winner for this year? After all, the course of events is already in train.

You seem to think it is compulsory to allow every foetus to go to full term after conception. Is that correct? If so, on what grounds do you hold that position?

True. Both positions attempt to postulate a state of affairs which doesn't tell the whole truth, and which predisposes one towards a predetermined conclusion.

If you're an extremist, then you'll say something like: as soon as conception occurs, you have a child that's entitled to all the rights of a newborn infant.
If you're an extremist on the other side, you'll say something like: there's no child until the moment of birth, so abortion is just fine any time up to then.

Reasonable people tend to recognise that the development from conception to birth is an ongoing process, so there should be a sliding scale of "rights" for the embryo/foetus/child involved.

this is exactly what is being argued in this thread. No one is saying that abortion should be illegal or shouldn't be a women's choice as much as Bells wants to argue this is the case. What is being argued is that on the sliding scale you mentioned, delaying turning off the machine for a brain dead corpse cause less harm than doing so. Now if the fetus is dead or significantly disabled then that may not be the case.

My impression is that there are more extremists on the pro-life side of the abortion debate than on the pro-choice side.

Maybe in most cases but Bells is proving that its the other way in here. Its interesting to see her arguments actually, claiming that its an wrong that the father should have to care for and pay for the child once its born because he is being forced into this. Yet if this was a women making the decision to keep a child and he refused to pay she would be the first jumping up and down claiming he was a dead beat even if the child was significantly disabled and the father had wanted it terminated due to quality of life issues.

What would you call strangers who obsesses over your sexual organs and wishes to control it and its contents?

Apparently you call that 57% of women "perverts", so I seriously doubt you can consider yourself as speaking on behalf of most women.

¿Let's Talk About ... Anything But a Woman's Humanity?

Syne said:

Hate speech and stereotyping ....

It ain't hate speech if it's true. To the other, did we omit the expectation of good faith from the rules?

Are you also applying those misandrist stereotypes to the 57% of women who hold a pro-life view (that abortion should be either illegal altogether or legal only in a few circumstances)?

That sort of sleight of rhetoric is extremely dishonest, and also extremely old and worn-out, and thus extremely stupid.

By your measure, the majority of pro-choice is also pro-life.

But let us take LACP, which means no abortions period; in that case you're talking about twenty percent, and thus the answer to your question—

How exactly is this majority of women "perverts"?

—is a simple, long-understood psychological term: conditioning.

You know, there is a famous book somewhere that says, "Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it."

If you train generations of women to view themselves as subordinate and inferior to men, they will believe it.

To the other ... well, okay. Perhaps you can answer the question for me: Why do so many people try to argue political issues taking place within a culture while excluding any consideration of the culture itself?

No, really, it has functional value: Are you actually unaware that there is a strong relationship between cultural immersion and ideology?

This is one of the things that really drags down the discussion, the number of times we find ourselves wondering, "How does he not know that?"

Still, though, if you want to complain that excessive concern with other people's sex lives is considered perverted, what word would you use to describe it? If you want to complain that willfully visiting harm on women in general isn't misogyny, what word would you use to describe it?

We hear this complaint over and over again. Black people are evil but that doesn't make the guy who says it racist. Gays should be put in an oven and cooked alive, but that doesn't make the guy who says it a homophobe. Give me a freakin' break. We should endanger women's integration into mainstream society—health, mental health, education, economy—because of an ontological fantasy with no ratioanl suport, but that doesn't make the advocates who want to harm women in pursuit of their own aesthetics misogynist. That is one of the stupidest propositions, ever. As I've said many times before, if the bigots are right, why are they not proud of their bigotry? Why do they get so upset at accurate descriptions of their behavior? Is it perhaps because they know they're wrong?

No, Syne. You do not get to be a misogynist and be spared the word. You do not get to be willfully disrespectful and then demand respect. Again, I find myself wondering, "How does he not know that?"

And the sad thing is that I don't really think you're so ignorant. But that would mean your behavior is willful.

Here, I'll give you an example. Earlier in this thread, I was having an odd discussion aside with another member that involved odd digressions about men having babies and so forth. Despite its strangeness, it was not without its utility. And then some anti-abortion genius wandered in, and, I don't know, maybe thinking he was witty, summed up the entire conversation thus: "So...let me see if I have this straight. Because men cannot get pregnant women should have unimpeded choice regardless of any consideration of personhood?"

The first obvious question is, "What the fuck?" The second obvious question clarifies the first: "What the hell is he on about?"

We who have been taking part in this political discussion are accustomed to this. It doesn't matter what we actually say, some anti-abortion advocate thinks it's somehow intelligent to simply disregard that and restate the argument according to a movement caricature.

And they always say something immensely ridiculous, like, "I was just trying to ascertain your position, succinctly." Right. Because the thousand other times it's been stated on the record weren't clear enough. And, furthermore, it's also a case of, "I was just trying to ascertain your position—on a different aspect of the issue—succinctly."

So what does one say to such persistent, willful disrespect as, "Here, let us change the subject", being the main argument?

No, really, we are approaching eight hundred posts in this thread, and the anti-abortion argument is still scared silly by the proposition. Then again, that is easily enough explained: The problem with the topic proposition might well be that in order to suspend a woman's general human rights she must first have them.

Think of it this way:

A Possible Argument:

(1) Yes, women are humans and entitled to human rights.

(2) Yes, the fact that women can become pregnant must proscribe their human rights.

(3) These are the reasons why.

(4) This is what needs to happen, and the impacts as we understand them.​

One might be tempted to speculate that the argument would get hung up on points three and four. While point two is inherent in the anti-abortion argument, what is still absent, fourteen months into this discussion, is point one.

This was the original question, which conceded LACP at the outset. We've covered reiterations of life at conception, the rights of men, the rights of corpses, and now we're onto a whining distraction about why bigots need special accommodation.

Yeah. Point taken.

So let me put this as simply as possible: If you don't like being called a misogynist, stop being one.

this is exactly what is being argued in this thread. No one is saying that abortion should be illegal or shouldn't be a women's choice as much as Bells wants to argue this is the case. What is being argued is that on the sliding scale you mentioned, delaying turning off the machine for a brain dead corpse cause less harm than doing so. Now if the fetus is dead or significantly disabled then that may not be the case.
She gave a directive to not be kept on life support. Thus, it was her choice to not be kept on life support. Her family also did not want her kept in this state because that was her choice and her directive. Delaying turning off the machine is causing harm to her husband, her son and her mother and father. And for what? Because politicians have decided that they have the right to insert their personal beliefs and politics into the wombs of a dead woman resulting in an experiment being done to her without her consent or the consent or permission of her next of kin.

We aren't talking about keeping her in this state for a week or two. But for months on end until the foetus possibly reaches term or her body gives out or the foetus dies. To keep a foetus, in this state, in a dead body, where it now has swelling in the brain and a lower body so deformed that its sex cannot be determined even in this stage of pregnancy and with a possibly damage heart. Imagine the pain it is suffering. Just think about it. And why? Because some politicians decided that her body was to be kept alive and experimented on without permission, causing god knows what kind of pain and grief to her next of kin and family and those who knew and loved her.

And you think this was the path of less harm?

I asked you earlier Asguard and I noticed you have avoided answering the question. What would you do if you were called out somewhere and a person with a DNR had died. Would you perform CPR? What about if you found out she was 14 weeks pregnant and you are told by her husband and/or her parents that she has a DNR, would you disregard it and perform CPR and transport her to hospital to put her on life support? Yes or no?

Because this is effectively what they have done. When her husband was told that there was no brain activity, he and her family said their farewell, expecting the machine to be turned off, as is usually the case in such cases. Instead, here we are, a few months later, and her body is deteriorating with a foetus with severe abnormalities growing inside her, abnormalities with are more than likely the result of the time she went without oxygen and her heart not beating and then the numerous drugs and efforts made to revive her.

Maybe in most cases but Bells is proving that its the other way in here. Its interesting to see her arguments actually, claiming that its an wrong that the father should have to care for and pay for the child once its born because he is being forced into this. Yet if this was a women making the decision to keep a child and he refused to pay she would be the first jumping up and down claiming he was a dead beat even if the child was significantly disabled and the father had wanted it terminated due to quality of life issues.
And what you seem incapable of considering is that she was a human being with thoughts and opinions and she had a valid and legal opinion as to what was to happen to her if she was ever in this situation. Do you think her husband should have help with caring for that foetus? What about the hospital bill? What about that of the foetus? Because she made her choice and he wanted to fulfill it. People not connected to him or her or the foetus have decided to impose their personal political beliefs on her and his choice and here we are today. Discussing something so monstrous and horrific that it is not something I would ever thought any Government would be willing to do to a person without permission. And I haven't even touched on the fact that it seems as if the hospital is failing in its duties in keeping the next of kin informed of the status of the foetus, as the husband and family have repeatedly advised all they have been told is that there is a heartbeat and that it may have taken his lawyers obtaining her medical records to know the full extent of the foetus and also the fact that they have documented her as being brain dead but not issued a death certificate as they are required to by law, because doing so would mean they would be forced to release her body to her next of kin.

But you don't consider that, do you?

Not once. You cannot even consider the horror of this case and instead you have openly and repeatedly dismissed her and her choices and her wishes and that of her family, which is exactly what the State and the hospital have done to this family.

Are you so lacking in compassion and ethics to see exactly what is going on here? Are you so against women to even acknowledge that a person's body is being used without her permission or her next of kin's permission to conduct a frankly awful experiment that is obviously failing and they are refusing to allow it to end yet?

syne said:
Apparently you call that 57% of women "perverts", so I seriously doubt you can consider yourself as speaking on behalf of most women.
Yep, the greater majority agree that abortion should be legal, with many agreeing that there must be limits put in place, while the minority believe that abortion should be illegal full stop and the greater majority of Americans believing that Roe vs Wade should not be overturned.

Now, ask any woman if she would want to remain in the state of Marlise Munoz whether she wants to or not because politicians want a stake in her womb, to grow a child that is probably not going to survive and is probably in excruciating pain.

See, I view anyone, be they male or female, who obsesses over the sexual and reproductive organs of complete strangers, be they male or female, and others so much that they are willing to impose their will on those sexual and reproductive organs without consent to be perverts. See you could only find that offensive if you feel it somehow represents you.:shrug:

no bells, shes not a human being, a human being is a working brain, she is a dead body and dead bodies don't have rights

BTW considering she was pregnant, rather than post abortion she obviously wanted the baby, I seem to recall a post of yours where you said you were screaming at the doctors to let you die and just save your child, further more I don't believe from your post that any advanced directives have been produced so its a bit presumptuous of you to claim you know what her decision would be in this very specific case. I doubt she even discussed it with her partner unless she was terminally ill and knew she was going to die BEFORE giving birth

no bells, shes not a human being, a human being is a working brain, she is a dead body and dead bodies don't have rights

BTW considering she was pregnant, rather than post abortion she obviously wanted the baby, I seem to recall a post of yours where you said you were screaming at the doctors to let you die and just save your child, further more I don't believe from your post that any advanced directives have been produced so its a bit presumptuous of you to claim you know what her decision would be in this very specific case. I doubt she even discussed it with her partner unless she was terminally ill and knew she was going to die BEFORE giving birth
Still can't answer the question then?

Her next of kin have the rights. You can't even acknowledge that she was a person with opinions and wishes which she let her family and her husband know.

My situation was during the labour, when everything went wrong. Had I been 14 weeks pregnant, I would not have made that request.

As for your belief that she wanted the baby. Who knows, she still had several weeks to make up her mind. She had, however, made up her mind about her own body, which she made clear to those who mattered to her life and who would be the ones to follow her wishes. I get it, to you she's not a person or a human being. Her husband and her parents knew her best and would have known what she would have wanted. Not complete strangers who had never even met her or her family before and it was certainly not for them to make a decision to experiment on her body without consent because of their own personal religious and political beliefs.

A Question Manufactured Through Deception

Asguard said:

... shes not a human being ....

The thing is that she never was a human being in the minds of the people making this argument.

The laws and customs we have regarding the dead include their will, while alive, after death. You better damn well bet that if I die without a Last Will and Testament there will be people raising holy hell if someone even looks at the mere possibility of maybe considering the proposition that perhaps it would be better for the living (who, after all, the funeral is intended for) if I am given a Christian burial. That is to say, even my mother wouldn't try that.

But why would I care if I'm dead?

Marlise Muñoz is not a human being; she is a corpse. But she was a human being. At least, she was supposed to be. How they treat her in death is at once no different, as well as derived from, how they regard women in life.

I mean, look at the naïveté of the counterpoint in this discussion:

• To manipulate statistics in order to create a false dichotomy.

• To cite the rules in complaint about being labeled, when the behavior in question is demonstrably accurate according to the term demanding complaint.​

We don't hold megalomaniacal serial killers up as a reason to have a discussion about whether the whores deserve to die.

Oh, wait. Some religious people who have a problem with prostitutes do.

Sorry, bad example.

How is this question legitimate when it depends on omitting otherwise quite ordinary information and considerations? That the advocates for this desecration of a corpse cannot honestly describe the issue taking place is indicative.

No, really. Look at what we're focusing on:

• The rights of the fetus versus the rights of the corpse.​

And look at what we're omitting:

• Demonstrably unethical medical practices by JPSH to manufacture this circumstance.

• Demonstrably deceptive legal assertions by JPSH to manufacture this circumstance.

• But the fetus may be viable? It wasn't when this started. Why do you think there is no death certificate, or why it took the courts to pry the obvious out of the hospital: They knew she was dead from the outset, and they conspired to create the appearance of viability.

• That Marlise Muñoz has no rights as a corpse is a straw man; that having no rights as a corpse reflects disregard of her rights as a person while alive, however, is exactly the issue.

• JPSH is trying to bring a futile pregnancy to term.

• Oh, and by the way, when everything is said and done, and the medical data is laid out, and the procedures established ... if JPSH is right to do what they did, then we are back to equal protection, and every woman who dies while possibly pregnant is subject to this sort of treatment because it would be a willful disregard of that fetal-American's constitutional rights to not do so. So think about the labor. Think about the costs. And think about the fact that this was a futile pregnancy from the beginning of JPSH's adventure. Oh, this is going to get messy. From civil rights to insurance companies to both homicide charges and acquittals (you can't prove the car accident caused the death of a fetus after months of experimenting on it inside a corpse, as maybe the doctors accidentally aborted the pregnancy) to is there a God because God only knows what else.​

The rights of a corpse versus the rights of a fetus? That question is so beside the point here. There are times when the question isn't clear about the living. No, really. If I had to merely sign the orders restraining a pregnant woman to carry to term because she was suicidal and her suicidality was considered indicative of a lack of competence to make such a medical decision on her own behalf, I would just find a doctor who would do the abortion. But, yes, there are times when this can become a legitimate mess in and of itself, with no encouraging from fervent aesthetes looking for any place or person into which they might plant their godly flagpoles and roil their colors in heated, windy passion.

We are talking about a potential paradigm shift in medical ethics. You know, ethics? The kind of quasi-moral consideration of means and ends by which attempting to deceive people and manipulate the law in order to desecrate a corpse on behalf of one's own aesthetics kind of undermines the credibility of the question?

But, hey, she's a woman, and women can be pregnant, so we don't need to pay attention to ethics, do we?

Tell you what: When it actually does come down to the rights of a corpse versus the rights of a fetus, let me know.

To reiterate: That the advocates for this desecration of a corpse cannot honestly describe the issue taking place is indicative.

And I would once again note that all of this is because some people who advocate circumstances that would profoundly affect women don't want to talk about what those effects would be. You know ... because ... well, she's just not important in all of this, is she? Reiterating life at conception and the rights of the fetus? Check. Comparing a woman's humanity to that of a man, but subordinate to the man's human condition? Check. The rights of a corpse, including a bit a few pages back about pissing on the dead? Yeah. We've got that, too.

What I would very much like to know is why the advocates of LACP are so not inclined to discuss the implications, effects, and consequences of that outcome.

I mean, we're over forty years since Roe. Forty-one years, plus a couple of days, of anti-abortion advocates effectively rejecting the proposition that a woman has human rights.

We're fourteen months into this discussion, which was specifically designed to be about what happens to women if we accept the LACP assertion, and the one thing that is clear is that the question of what happens to a woman's human rights makes some people very uncomfortable, since it's the one thing that seems off limits.

Now, I get why the anti-abortion advocates do this. History teaches that this is predictable behavior.

I admit, though, I don't get why some others would help empower them.

It is quite obvious that de Beauvoir still holds true, that there are two kinds of people in the world, humans and women, and when women act like humans they are accused of trying to be like men. This discussion is evidence in support of her point.

And despite those decades of disrespect, despite the fourteen months of screaming flight from the actual topic, apparently we owe it to people to not use words that accurately describe reliably predictable behavior underpinning the movement.

And next, perhaps, we'll be hearing that when someone gets caught trying to hop contexts in order to inflate a statistic with the intention of guiding the discussion into fallacy, the only proper response is to accommodate them, because let's face it, if they don't like misogynist, they're really not going to like intellectually dishonest.

To the other, though, they'll want to have the discussion. Because, well, the actual topic is what happens to a woman's human rights and status under LACP, and as we all know, anything is better than talking about that.

There are two clinically brain-dead organisms being sustained in the same ICU bed at John Peter Smith Hospital, one is the body of Marlise Munoz, the other is the non-viable fetus dwelling inside that body. Marlise as a living person possessed legal rights to determine the treatment of her brain dead body. The fetus having never attained personhood has no such rights, and its future disposition should be left to the discretion of Marlise’s designated proxies.

If you can suggest a suitable middle-ground "workable solution", please do so.
Triage models already do that.

In all situations where resources are limited, a triage model can be applied in order to devise a workable course of action.

They do that when it comes to rescuing people from airplane crashes high up in the mountains where only a small rescue team is available; they do that in military hospitals on the battlefield; they do that when they have to make a choice as to whom to give a highschool grant and whom not. And so on. Anywhere where resources are limited, the most workable course of action is to set priorities and then work according to those priorities.

In an airplane crash high up in the mountains where many people are injured, but only a small rescue team is available, only some people are helped. Those whose injuries are too severe for the rescuers to help them, are in fact left behind to die. That, however, does not diminish the personhood of those left behind.
Similar with injured soldiers on the battlefield. Only those that can be helped within the limited means available on the battlefield, are helped. The rest are left to die. That, however, does not diminish the personhood of those left behind.
Some people will get finacial help, and some won't. As a result of not getting any finacial help, some people are left homeless. That, however, does not diminish their personhood.

A pregnancy is a similar crisis situation, it is literally a matter of life and death. Even more so if there are complications of one kind or another. So a triage model can be applied: Who has better chances of survival - the mother or the unborn? What resources are available, who can be helped best with those resources?

That kind of reasoning does not diminish the personhood of the mother, nor of the child. Even if in the process, one or both of them die.

It appears to me that one camp will have its way, one way or the other.
For starters, there aren't only two camps. There are many camps.

Secondly, you seem to be averse to anyone's solution to prevail, but that simply out of principle, everyone should compromise, that out of principle, everyone should back down, so that nobody comes out the winner.

Just refer to the triage model.

You seem to be forgetting or to be uncomfortable about the fact that the child the pregant woman is carrying is, in most cases, her child, not a stranger.

actually it begs the question whether we start to determine the level of disability as a determent of life.

There are at least two perspectives from which to look at the same phenomenon:

A: "The fetus isn't viable."
B: "Given the state of our resources, we cannot help the fetus."

A is face-saving for those who want to abort it, B isn't.

People generally prefer to save face, even at great cost to themselves and/or others.

It feels so much better to say "You're stupid!" than to say "I don't know how to help you." What to speak of saying "I don't want to help you!"

wynn:

Triage models already do that.

In all situations where resources are limited, a triage model can be applied in order to devise a workable course of action.

A pregnancy is a similar crisis situation, it is literally a matter of life and death. Even more so if there are complications of one kind or another. So a triage model can be applied: Who has better chances of survival - the mother or the unborn? What resources are available, who can be helped best with those resources?

That kind of reasoning does not diminish the personhood of the mother, nor of the child. Even if in the process, one or both of them die.

Bear with me. I'm trying to catch up here.

I take it that, according to your triage model, what is happening in this case, sustaining a brain-dead mother's body in order to bring a possibly-unviable foetus to term, against the wishes of the mother that her own life not be sustained and against the relatives' wishes, is the appropriate thing to do?

And you're arguing that the foetus should take precedence over all else here because there's a chance that it might eventually be able to live independently, albeit possibly with significant physical or mental problems.

Is that right?

Secondly, you seem to be averse to anyone's solution to prevail, but that simply out of principle, everyone should compromise, that out of principle, everyone should back down, so that nobody comes out the winner.

I don't think I've expressed an opinion on who's solution should or should not prevail. I'm not averse to a solution. I'm interested in what the best solution is. In particular, I'm interested in the ethical implications on both sides.

You seem to be forgetting or to be uncomfortable about the fact that the child the pregant woman is carrying is, in most cases, her child, not a stranger.

I don't see how that's relevant. Please explain.

Bear with me. I'm trying to catch up here.

I take it that, according to your triage model, what is happening in this case, sustaining a brain-dead mother's body in order to bring a possibly-unviable foetus to term, against the wishes of the mother that her own life not be sustained and against the relatives' wishes, is the appropriate thing to do?

And you're arguing that the foetus should take precedence over all else here because there's a chance that it might eventually be able to live independently, albeit possibly with significant physical or mental problems.

Is that right?

You are applying the triage model - and you come to the above??
Really?

When you apply the triage model, to, say, a situation in a military hospital on the battlefield where the means to help injured people are minimal, and there are 50 soldiers with severe injuries to the upper body and head, injuries that would require state-of-the-art technology, and 250 soldiers with injuries in the limbs, injuries that can be treated with the means available - your answer is to first try to help the ones with serious injuries, even though there is no means to help them?

I don't think I've expressed an opinion on who's solution should or should not prevail. I'm not averse to a solution. I'm interested in what the best solution is. In particular, I'm interested in the ethical implications on both sides.
You said -
It seems to me that each camp wants to have its way.

If you can suggest a suitable middle-ground "workable solution", please do so. It appears to me that one camp will have its way, one way or the other.

I don't see how that's relevant. Please explain.
Talking like this -

Every week in the US there come to be many thousands of dead women, pregnant and otherwise, whose bodies could be used for the utility of other people without their consent and against the wishes of their families. Decent people, or those who wish to avoid doing evil anyway, have always forbidden that.

It shouldn't. It should pay civil damages for the abuse of the woman and desecration of her body, also for the damages it has inflicted by abrogating the rights of next of kin, and of course the medical and caretaking cost of any harm it has done the eventual child by its choice of incubator and enforced circumstances of gestation.

- as if the woman would have been impregnanted against her will after she was already dead, or as if she would be carrying a total stranger.

Surely people want the best first and foremost for their own children, no?

You are applying the triage model - and you come to the above??
Really?

When you apply the triage model, to, say, a situation in a military hospital on the battlefield where the means to help injured people are minimal, and there are 50 soldiers with severe injuries to the upper body and head, injuries that would require state-of-the-art technology, and 250 soldiers with injuries in the limbs, injuries that can be treated with the means available - your answer is to first try to help the ones with serious injuries, even though there is no means to help them?

Perhaps you should learn to structure your sentences a bit better or alternatively, understand what it is you are saying:

Which is the argument pro-lifer's have been making about Marlise Munoz. So LG's triage model that you are adopting but not understanding would have the mother's and her family's rights ignored because between the two, pro-lifer's have determined that the foetus has a better chance of survival since its heart is beating. Just look at Asguard's argument as a prime example of LG's triage model at work. He has deemed that the mother is not even a person or worthy of consideration. Nor is her spouse and her parents or her son worthy of consideration.

What LG's triage model does not look at is the wishes of the mother and that of her family, nor does it look at their rights. The horror show in Texas is the triage model at work. The hospital deemed that the foetus had a chance at becoming viable so they put the mother's brain dead body on life support without her consent nor that of her next of kin, in fact, they are going directly against the medical directive she had advised her husband and parents about because the hospital does not provide abortions and it seems, they may not even provide emergency contraception. When you and LG say triage model, the rest of us just think what other ways are you going to come up with to control a woman's body and LG never lets us down in that regard.

And now, neither are you.

Perhaps you should learn to structure your sentences a bit better or alternatively, understand what it is you are saying:

Which is why I absolutely need you to tell me what it is that I actually think, right? Right.

So LG's triage model that you are adopting but not understanding
Leaving aside that it was probably I who first brought up triage long ago to begin with, and LG quoted me on it -
Yes, I am just copying LG. If you say it is so, then it is so!

God died and put you in his place!

What LG's triage model does not look at is the wishes of the mother and that of her family, nor does it look at their rights. The horror show in Texas is the triage model at work. The hospital deemed that the foetus had a chance at becoming viable so they put the mother's brain dead body on life support without her consent nor that of her next of kin, in fact, they are going directly against the medical directive she had advised her husband and parents about because the hospital does not provide abortions and it seems, they may not even provide emergency contraception. When you and LG say triage model, the rest of us just think what other ways are you going to come up with to control a woman's body and LG never lets us down in that regard.

And now, neither are you.

Oh Christ.

Has it ever occured to you, Bells, that the way you persistently blame others, isn't actually working out for you?
That even though you do it to gain the upper hand, the result just isn't what you want?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back