My Daughter's FaceBook Account

There was sexual innuendo when I was a kid, but their stuff was very risque. It was nasty.

I would just speak to this remark of yours Bowser.

We live in a society here in the west that commercializes sex at every level.

Sex sells.

We now have the internet, a communication medium that is accessible 24/7/365 and you can guess what the most popular searches are, I am sure.

Using a one word search on Firefox and Google, I got the following results.

sex - 3,830,000,000 results

money - 3,800,000,000 results

god - 1,950,000,000 results

Sex, and details pertaining to all it's permutations have piqued the curiosity of our species since recorded history.

Technology has merely enabled us greater means to satisfy same.

For the record, I am female. I waited until 17 and I am pretty much 'vanilla' if I understand the term correctly. :eek:

All the best in navigating these turbulent waters safely and in preserving your relationships.

Thanks for the story, Repo. My daughter and I just talked and she tells me that they're not doing the terrible deed.

The terrible deed that brought her into existence in the first place - and [by most testimonies] is one of the greatest pleasures of life.

As for what I read on her FaceBook, "that's just boredom talking" and a lack of anything better to say. I believe her,

But you shouldn't. There is always an intent in sexting - its done for romantic reasons - its not boredom talk. But it is not a big deal either.

but I'm still stunned by what I read. I never talked like that with any of my girlfriends when I was that age. There was sexual innuendo when I was a kid, but their stuff was very risque. It was nasty.

The world has changed a lot, you must understand the change and fit in if you want the best relationship with your daughter.

I think she is embarrassed, and maybe the lesson here is to not leave your FaceBook account open when you leave for school, more so when your parent is at home for the day.

That is what you didn't want. You have just lost a bit of her trust and respect for you. You shouldn't told her and should have tackled this more sensibly.

I told her that we put a lot of faith in her and her boyfriend, so they better fly straight and narrow.

That is not faith in them. That is an exceptation of obedience. Faith would mean "I trust you and your judgement and know you will make the right choice." You your choice is really better than hers, or is presented better by you - she would do it. You must realise that she agreed not because she agrees with you, but because she loves you and feels obliged to obey. The same outcome could have been reached such that she felt she was making a good, sensible and entirely free choice and her love, respect and trust for you would have increased. That would have been a good assurance that she will abstain. Now you have merely postponed her sexual activity - and ever time you do this again, more friction, hatred and loss of trust creeps in - that is how parent-child relationships go very bad. Please understand the gravity of the situation - and dont pat yourself on the back that you may have "handled it" - you haven't. You have postponed it such that you would need to do it again in the future and at a risk of deterioration of your relationship - not to mention you have loss the chance to improve the already weak father-daughter bonding and understanding.

Sex isn't everything it's made out to be.

Maybe.

Last edited:
I think that what you did was wrong. You had no right to read through her messages. As soon as you saw that she was still logged in, you should have pushed log out and left it at that.

I would disagree. As a parent, he has the right to intrusion on the privacy of his kids - becomes he is more experienced and wiser. What he shouldn't have a right to is to tackle this situation in the entirely inadequate way that he did.

Sex isn't everything it's made out to be.

However, sex IS everything when it comes to evolution, if one takes the objective rather than subjective view.

Life serves it's own purpose, IMO.

My daughter is an excellent student: however, we reward her with cash to encourage her efforts in school.

OMG, you dont know a thing about this, do you? You do not encourage her with cash - you show her the beauty and amazing, the job and wonder of the pursuit of knowledge.

I was wild and loose when I was young, and I just want my kids to do better.

But this is not a good way to handle this.

I am curious - may I know you religious background and the belief in God in the members relevant here?

Last edited:
My daughter has the ability to stick a cigarette in her mouth, should I let her start smoking?

You dont have any right to LET her do something. The only correct thing to do would be the EXPLAIN why you dont want her to smoke. You are almost treating her like a pet, its horrifying.

Well, my wife let the cat out of the bag and told my daughter more than she should have.

I have never met a person with less ability or tact in handling delicate situations. Stop with the blame game, the age and the genetic determination of her hormones, moods and body is what let the cat out of the bag.

Now I have to wait before I approach her because she's pissed at the moment.

And for the way in which you handled this, you should have excepted nothing different.

I will get a chance the next time I drive her to gymnastics--it's a long drive.

Dont have an intervention. Do you want her to hate you more? Do you want her to have sex in the park and get caught by the police? Do you want your relationship to totally disintergrate by the time she marries?

As a general rule, that door stays unlocked when he's at our house.

Then you can rest assured that some door will be locked somewhere unless you can salvage this.

And as I understand it, his parents keep a close eye on them when she's at his house.

Whic really amounts to nothing. Its like keeping a close eye on a lion and goat penned together.

We need to reach an understanding that doesn't require a chastity belt.

And exactly that would have happened had you actually acted on my advice -I am just about her age - I understand how we think, I am good at handling delicate situations.

I would like to talk with both of them at the same time.

This is turning into a mental and situational nascar crash.

So I'm using my daughter's netbook this morning and noticed that her FaceBook account is open. I had a look at the messages on her account, those between her and her boyfriend. So I've learned a considerable amount about their sexual relationship and am thinking that I can't trust them to be alone. :eek: Considering that I've read her personal messages, I need a reason that wont tip her off as to how I know what they have been up to.

Who bought her the netbook? Did she buy it with her own money? According to law in the United States, minors don't "own" anything. . . everything they have technically belongs to their parents. I remind my son of this everyday of his life. Our schools and society habitually condition both us and our children to think of possessions as ours and theirs. They own nothing. Everything they have has been provided for them. It is your job as a parent to protect them and provide for them. Is she old enough yet to protect and provide for a new life? Is her boyfriend? My folks always taught me that you shouldn't be having sex till you are able to do this, or have a strategy to do this. Seems when people engage in relationships today, it is always about "me, me, me," not about love. What they have is, mutual masturbation. What they have, is making each other feel good, it isn't a selfless love. How would he feel about your daughter if you emailed, Facebooked, or handed those messages to his parents? Would he still love your daughter enough to be with her?

Relationships that involve sex are ADULT relationships. People under eighteen are MINORS and should not be having sex, it is that simple. You have been receiving some very bad advice. Your gut instinct is the correct instinct. If you went to any number of tribes throughout this planet and asked them the same question, "should my daughter and her boyfriend who are unable to take care of themselves be engaged in an adult relationship?" every mature society on the planet would give you a unanimous resounding NO! I question the selfishness of the advice you have gotten in this thread (wynn excepted.) The ill informed wisdom of "well. . . they will find a way to do it anyway. . . " Crap, ill informed crap. It is your job to lay down the law and find a way to make it so in such a way that they don't.

Should you have read what she wrote? Apparently so. Children cannot be trusted. . . they are CHILDREN. People here seem to think that it is hypocritical to lay down a double standard. Well, it is. If you had found nothing? Well, then you would feel shame, and you would never have had any need to snoop for as long as she lived under your roof again, correct? But a great man once said, "Trust, but verify" You can't protect and make sure she makes the correct decisions unless you check up on her. I myself would not have been checking up on her and her boyfriend, I would have been making sure she wasn't messing around with anyone you didn't know, like someone older, a child predator. How would you have known? Kids today do these things. You have seen that show, To Catch a Predator. If she can't understand you were doing what you were doing out of love now, she will when she has children. You are a parent, this is your job. I have a son. I know all of his passwords. I lay down the law. I tell him that the government makes the law and I know that nothing I write on Facebook is really private. Nothing I say in any phone conversation is really private. The government and DHS has super computers constantly searching for key words and phrases that might indicate to the government that citizens might be breaking the law. So he can expect no more privacy from me. He had better break none of my rules while he is using computers that I provide and internet service that I provide. I give him the luxuries that make his life what it is, and I can take them away. I keep him safe, and I keep him happy, that is my job as a parent.

It is your job as a parent to look after your daughters best interests. Having sex causes two things. Intense emotional attachment, and possibility of pregnancy. The first, she will never, ever completely get over. This will affect all her future relationships. Even the man she eventually marries will know who she sleeps with, and she will remember who it is, and how she relates to that guy will affect her future ability to fall in love and how deeply she will be able to fall in love. Treating that cavalierly, like sex is a child's play thing, should be taught to her is wrong, and not something to be toyed with. Movies and television make it seem cool, empty, shallow, and something that is just for feeling good. She has no idea that this will desensitize her emotionally later in life to possible romantic partners the younger she gets sexually involved. Likewise, the sooner she becomes sexually active, the more likely she will be to cheat on her partners later on in life, as she will not view sex as something that is a sacred bond between to partners to be cherished. It is clear, the people that have been giving you advice here have no respect for the sex act beyond using it as a means to just get their rocks off. Your precious daughter should not be using it for that. If she wants to get her rocks off with her b/f, take them to Cedar Point.

The point is, it's a legitimate concern. Sexual intercourse is no more appropriate for a fourteen-year-old than is smoking. Some people here seem to be expressing the opinion that since it's within a child's grasp, it should be allowed. Hell, I suppose, as they seem to be suggesting, that I should just sit on my couch while my daughter is being boinked in her bedroom. I understand that everybody thinks I'm being totally uncool because I'm so opposed to the notion, but I think I'm simply being a father.

Good instincts! Now you are talking like a parent! I swear, besides Wynn, none of these people really has a notion to protect the psyche of the child. Even when my son watches a promiscuous scene in a movie or on T.V. with me, he knows the difference between when it is "not right" and when it is right. We watched Forest Gump the other day. The final scene when Forest and Jenny were finally together, he understood, that, this was an example of a "good" relationship, it didn't make him uncomfortable. . . . for once. Almost every other time we see sex in movies? Like the previous New Years eve scene in the same movie where Lieutenant Dan and Forest were in a Hotel room with the two whores? Although the movie is Rated PG-13, for a 10yr, with an extremely high IQ, that scene really made him squeamish. Why? B/C I have taught him right from wrong, and he really felt the uncomfortableness and disgust that the character Forest felt. He even said to me. . . "eww yuck dad." He really gets the hibbie Jibbies. :p

REAL relationships take time to develop. Real relationships can only happen between mature individuals who are already developed, not between individuals that are in the process of developing themselves. These children don't even know who they are yet. They are merely playing at being grown-ups. They know nothing of the world. They are mirrors for it. They mirror what they hear in music, what they see in movies, what they read in books. They have no minds of their own, none really to speak of. Sure, as parents we can see it, but no one else really knows them, or can know them in so short a time. Unless the boy grew up next door. What they are acting out is hormones, and a desire not to feel alone in a world of change and uncertainty.

Perhaps, you and your wife need to spend more time with them both, together, as a couple. . . .

Well, my wife let the cat out of the bag and told my daughter more than she should have. Now I have to wait before I approach her because she's pissed at the moment. I will get a chance the next time I drive her to gymnastics--it's a long drive. I put a lock on her bedroom door as a Christmas gift, now she's using it.

That's impossible. There is no, "more than she should have." If you want complete and total honesty in the household, you have to give if you want to receive. Get that password to the facebook account, and all of those email passwords I say. Tell your daugher that you will not be reading her emails, and she can expect to have privacy, but know, that at any time, there might be a check up. Likewise, it would good for you to do some research on how to secure your belongings and your household privacy. There are methods you can use to find out if someone is snooping in your stuff. My son is only ten, but I have been using them since he was six. :p

Simple things, like remember how you placed stuff, taking photos of how your belongings are arranged, placing tape over drawers and cabinets. . . or the old sting on the dresser knob trick. There are many ways you can proof your room, garage, shed, kitchen, liquor cabinet, and other private areas to come back and see if they have been tampered with if you are a wise and a world weary parent. They key is to not let your teen think they are smarter then you are. Trust. . . but verify. They are just kids after all. AND IT IS YOUR JOB TO PROTECT THEM!

On that note, my friends and I enjoyed this video. Now, I'm not nearly this extreme, though my gun toting friend said he'd have no problem going to this extreme to teach some respect. And that is really what is lacking in this generation of kids, RESPECT.
Father teaches Daughter a Lesson about Facebook

I don't want to, preferring a mutual understanding, but I can.

If thats what you really want, you have done a breathtakingly poor job of it.

I've been pretty reasonable thus far.

No, you haven't. As someone of her age and as someone who has read all your posts on this thread - you have been very unreasonable.

I've allowed them to retreat into her bedroom without much supervision. I've let them go to movies. I've let her go to his house.

Look - lets get this straight. Your daughter is not your car, she is not your talking parrot, she is not your pet chimp. She is a person and is deserving of as much freedom as you are. You dont "let" a teen do something. You "get an illusion of control", nothing more. You are not a bad parent. You love your kids and you probably are a good 'man of the house'. But as far as managing teens and their situations is concerned....

All I require is the assurance that they behave themselves.

Then you must give good justification for why you want her to do what you want her to do. She must, through her free-will, chose the opition she deems better. You job as a part is to make your option better than hers - not make her obey your wishes. That wont work and will only wreck this situation further.

Sorry I have been a bit harsh to you, you must be my dad's age and I mean no disrespect. But you reactions to and management of this situation have been deplorable.

OMG, you dont know a thing about this, do you? You do not encourage her with cash - you show her the beauty and amazing, the job and wonder of the pursuit of knowledge.

The kid is giving us great grades, I think she deserves something for her effort. She is always on her homework and gives it her best. If I was a wealthy man, I would give her more money than what she gets now. She has dreams for the future, and I encourage her to keep on dreaming and working towards her goals.

I am curious - may I know you religious background and the belief in God in the members relevant here?

I came from a vague Christian background, but we were not church goers. Like many, I searched for my spirituality in a desperate attempt to give purpose to our existence; but sadly, I found nothing on which to anchor my faith with solid conviction. I'm probably an atheist now, or maybe I'm just godless. I don't know what you can call it. There's that propensity within me to look in that direction, but I have no rock on which to stand, so I've surrender to the most rational explanation possible. :D

I've never fed my children religion, but they have picked up the concept from others, such as my mother. I think my daughter has a smidgen of belief in a higher being, but we don't talk about the subject. She certainly hasn't been exposed to the full force of zealotry. I'm assuming that she, too, will some day go on a search for her spirituality. Maybe she will find what I could not. :shrug:

Thanks for the story, Repo. My daughter and I just talked and she tells me that they're not doing the terrible deed. As for what I read on her FaceBook, "that's just boredom talking" and a lack of anything better to say. I believe her, but I'm still stunned by what I read. I never talked like that with any of my girlfriends when I was that age. There was sexual innuendo when I was a kid, but their stuff was very risque. It was nasty.

I think she is embarrassed, and maybe the lesson here is to not leave your FaceBook account open when you leave for school, more so when your parent is at home for the day. I told her that we put a lot of faith in her and her boyfriend, so they better fly straight and narrow. Sex isn't everything it's made out to be.

So that's your solution huh? Pretend it didn't happen? :p

I'd get her FB password. Screw that.

If thats what you really want, you have done a breathtakingly poor job of it.

It's working out quite well. She is being honest and we have reestablished that some activities are not proper. In her words, "I'm not a slut."

No, you haven't. As someone of her age and as someone who has read all your posts on this thread - you have been very unreasonable.

When you're a parent and are responsible for another person's welfare, then you can preach.

Look - lets get this straight. Your daughter is not your car, she is not your talking parrot, she is not your pet chimp. She is a person and is deserving of as much freedom as you are. You dont "let" a teen do something. You "get an illusion of control", nothing more. You are not a bad parent. You love your kids and you probably are a good 'man of the house'. But as far as managing teens and their situations is concerned....

Yet we have an understanding and she has reiterated that she and her boyfriend are committed to waiting--more power to them. And to my benefit, I gained an insight into her personal life with her boyfriend and with her friends. If she had a diary, I would read that too.

Then you must give good justification for why you want her to do what you want her to do. She must, through her free-will, chose the opition she deems better. You job as a part is to make your option better than hers - not make her obey your wishes. That wont work and will only wreck this situation further.

You should be happy because she has chosen to stay virgin. And yes, I'm encouraging that decision. I explained to her that sex is not all it's cracked up to be, and quite often, the first time can be very disappointing.

Sorry I have been a bit harsh to you, you must be my dad's age and I mean no disrespect. But you reactions to and management of this situation have been deplorable.

Water on a duck's back. I actually appreciate your view. We just disagree.

Have you had kids? Correct me if I'm wrong here. . . but you said yourself that you are close to fourteen yourself, which means you have little experience in life, and can't quite think logically and clearly on this yourself? Where do you get off giving advice to a MAN who has had children, housed them, clothed them, and fed them? :shrug:

I mean, really, none of your advice makes any sense when dealing with children. It makes sense if he were dealing with his daughter if his daughter were a twenty year old going to the local community college. . . . but C'mon . . . she's friggin' FOURTEEN fer' crying out loud!

WHY does she deserve freedom? What has she done to deserve freedom? Has she gotten a drivers license? How about a job?

Yes, you DO let a teen do things, parents are their GUARDIANS, the give permission. At sixteen, some teens, if they think they are getting a raw deal, they can petition a court for emancipation, otherwise, everything you said is, really, completely incorrect.

Control is much better asserted through love and logic, I will agree with you there. . . but sometimes, parents do have other means at their disposal, lest you forget. :D

So that's your solution huh? Pretend it didn't happen? :p

I'd get her FB password. Screw that.

Funny. No, I would know if she was fibbing. I suspect that they have been flirting with sexual curiosity, but it's most likely been all foreplay. That's still dangerous stuff, so I will be keeping an eye on them, and I'm still going to have a talk with her boyfriend. I need to draw a line for that kid. He's always been mild mannered and respectful, but so was I at that age...:D

Who bought her the netbook? Did she buy it with her own money? According to law in the United States, minors don't "own" anything. . . everything they have technically belongs to their parents. I remind my son of this everyday of his life. Our schools and society habitually condition both us and our children to think of possessions as ours and theirs. They own nothing. Everything they have has been provided for them. It is your job as a parent to protect them and provide for them.

Agreed. But you dont thrust that in their face - its like telling someone "I masturbate to you".

Is she old enough yet to protect and provide for a new life? Is her boyfriend? My folks always taught me that you shouldn't be having sex till you are able to do this, or have a strategy to do this. Seems when people engage in relationships today, it is always about "me, me, me," not about love. What they have is, mutual masturbation. What they have, is making each other feel good, it isn't a selfless love. How would he feel about your daughter if you emailed, Facebooked, or handed those messages to his parents? Would he still love your daughter enough to be with her?

A very, very well made point. :worship:

Relationships that involve sex are ADULT relationships. People under eighteen are MINORS and should not be having sex, it is that simple.

I disagree. People should be mature enough to be in an adult relationship, regardless of their age.

You have been receiving some very bad advice.

Does that include me? As far as I remember, I have remain non-partisan on what she should do and advised him only on what HE should do.

Your gut instinct is the correct instinct.

No gut instinct can compete with a carefully planned and thought out reaction, unless it is something to be decided instantly.

The ill informed wisdom of "well. . . they will find a way to do it anyway. . . " Crap, ill informed crap.

But that is the reality. If he wants his daughter to obey him, he must make a better case for his wish that she has for hers. And that is not a difficult thing to do.

It is your job to lay down the law and find a way to make it so in such a way that they don't.

Children are not your property or your subjects. They are your fellow human beings. They must be convinced, not coerced.

Should you have read what she wrote? Apparently so.

I would further assert - absoultely so.

Children cannot be trusted. . . they are CHILDREN.

No. They care not to be trusted if they lack all ability to reason and understand the situation. If they can do so to any extent, then the trust must be proportional to this ability.

If you had found nothing? Well, then you would feel shame, and you would never have had any need to snoop for as long as she lived under your roof again, correct? But a great man once said, "Trust, but verify" You can't protect and make sure she makes the correct decisions unless you check up on her. I myself would not have been checking up on her and her boyfriend, I would have been making sure she wasn't messing around with anyone you didn't know, like someone older, a child predator. How would you have known? Kids today do these things. You have seen that show, To Catch a Predator.

Agreed completely.

If she can't understand you were doing what you were doing out of love now, she will when she has children. You are a parent, this is your job. I have a son. I know all of his passwords. I lay down the law. I tell him that the government makes the law and I know that nothing I write on Facebook is really private. Nothing I say in any phone conversation is really private. The government and DHS has super computers constantly searching for key words and phrases that might indicate to the government that citizens might be breaking the law. So he can expect no more privacy from me.

Again, fair enough if you dont keep shoving it in his face.

He had better break none of my rules

No has the right to break the rules if he has a better rationale to break one than you have to not break one.

while he is using computers that I provide and internet service that I provide. I give him the luxuries that make his life what it is, and I can take them away. I keep him safe, and I keep him happy, that is my job as a parent.

So he is your circus animal - do as I tell or f*ck off?

It is your job as a parent to look after your daughters best interests. Having sex causes two things. Intense emotional attachment, and possibility of pregnancy. The first, she will never, ever completely get over. This will affect all her future relationships. Even the man she eventually marries will know who she sleeps with, and she will remember who it is, and how she relates to that guy will affect her future ability to fall in love and how deeply she will be able to fall in love. Treating that cavalierly, like sex is a child's play thing, should be taught to her is wrong, and not something to be toyed with. Movies and television make it seem cool, empty, shallow, and something that is just for feeling good. She has no idea that this will desensitize her emotionally later in life to possible romantic partners the younger she gets sexually involved. Likewise, the sooner she becomes sexually active, the more likely she will be to cheat on her partners later on in life, as she will not view sex as something that is a sacred bond between to partners to be cherished. It is clear, the people that have been giving you advice here have no respect for the sex act beyond using it as a means to just get their rocks off. Your precious daughter should not be using it for that. If she wants to get her rocks off with her b/f, take them to Cedar Point.

Again, an excellent point. Agreed.

Good instincts! Now you are talking like a parent!

Agreed to both his quote and your reply.

I swear, besides Wynn, none of these people really has a notion to protect the psyche of the child.

I think a child must be exposed to everything the world has to offer - good or bad. All you must do is give him your rationale [not teach him or tell him or assert] for what you consider good or bad, right or wrong.

Even when my son watches a promiscuous scene in a movie or on T.V. with me, he knows the difference between when it is "not right" and when it is right. We watched Forest Gump the other day. The final scene when Forest and Jenny were finally together, he understood, that, this was an example of a "good" relationship, it didn't make him uncomfortable. . . . for once. Almost every other time we see sex in movies? Like the previous New Years eve scene in the same movie where Lieutenant Dan and Forest were in a Hotel room with the two whores? Although the movie is Rated PG-13, for a 10yr, with an extremely high IQ, that scene really made him squeamish. Why? B/C I have taught him right from wrong, and he really felt the uncomfortableness and disgust that the character Forest felt. He even said to me. . . "eww yuck dad." He really gets the hibbie Jibbies. :p

IMO only,Then I am a little bit sad that your son isn't adaptable to adversely different people. He must not go "eww yuck dad", but rather "people are weird, that is not really quite the thing to do."

REAL relationships take time to develop. Real relationships can only happen between mature individuals who are already developed, not between individuals that are in the process of developing themselves. These children don't even know who they are yet. They are merely playing at being grown-ups. They know nothing of the world. They are mirrors for it. They mirror what they hear in music, what they see in movies, what they read in books. They have no minds of their own, none really to speak of. Sure, as parents we can see it, but no one else really knows them, or can know them in so short a time. Unless the boy grew up next door. What they are acting out is hormones, and a desire not to feel alone in a world of change and uncertainty.

Perhaps, you and your wife need to spend more time with them both, together, as a couple. . . .

Words worth their weight in Gold. You are quite amazing in this regard.

That's impossible. There is no, "more than she should have." If you want complete and total honesty in the household, you have to give if you want to receive.

Agreed.

Get that password to the facebook account, and all of those email passwords I say. Tell your daugher that you will not be reading her emails, and she can expect to have privacy, but know, that at any time, there might be a check up. Likewise, it would good for you to do some research on how to secure your belongings and your household privacy. There are methods you can use to find out if someone is snooping in your stuff. My son is only ten, but I have been using them since he was six. :p

Ok. As long as you dont go - gimme the password or say goodbye to your allowance, thats fine - even requisite. Gentle does it - 'I need to know what you are upto so that I can give my better informed and well experienced suggestion that would be invaluable to you in making your decision/judgements'.

Simple things, like remember how you placed stuff, taking photos of how your belongings are arranged, placing tape over drawers and cabinets. . . or the old sting on the dresser knob trick. There are many ways you can proof your room, garage, shed, kitchen, liquor cabinet, and other private areas to come back and see if they have been tampered with if you are a wise and a world weary parent. They key is to not let your teen think they are smarter then you are. Trust. . . but verify. They are just kids after all. AND IT IS YOUR JOB TO PROTECT THEM!

Are you a spy? Worried that your kid my be an undercover agent on a mole hunt? The Esotericist has all the solutions for you!

Seriously? "They key is to not let your teen think they are smarter then you are." Negative much? Oppresive much?
You could do better - "The key is to make yourself and present yourself as better, more informed and smarter than they are".

On that note, my friends and I enjoyed this video. Now, I'm not nearly this extreme, though my gun toting friend said he'd have no problem going to this extreme to teach some respect. And that is really what is lacking in this generation of kids, RESPECT.

Only those that earn respect should get respect. Being a parent does not automatically grant you a right to be respected. And what you are doing for your children is simply that which your genetic thrust for reproduction compels you to do.

Last edited:
The kid is giving us great grades, I think she deserves something for her effort. She is always on her homework and gives it her best. If I was a wealthy man, I would give her more money than what she gets now. She has dreams for the future, and I encourage her to keep on dreaming and working towards her goals.

I am not against you rewarding her with money, I meant that money should not be the only motivation for education and the pursuit of knowledge.

I came from a vague Christian background, but we were not church goers. Like many, I searched for my spirituality in a desperate attempt to give purpose to our existence; but sadly, I found nothing on which to anchor my faith with solid conviction. I'm probably an atheist now, or maybe I'm just godless. I don't know what you can call it. There's that propensity within me to look in that direction, but I have no rock on which to stand, so I've surrender to the most rational explanation possible. :D

I've never fed my children religion, but they have picked up the concept from others, such as my mother. I think my daughter has a smidgen of belief in a higher being, but we don't talk about the subject. She certainly hasn't been exposed to the full force of zealotry. I'm assuming that she, too, will some day go on a search for her spirituality. Maybe she will find what I could not. :shrug:

I suddenly like you a lot more.

Have you had kids? Correct me if I'm wrong here. . . but you said yourself that you are close to fourteen yourself, which means you have little experience in life, and can't quite think logically and clearly on this yourself? Where do you get off giving advice to a MAN who has had children, housed them, clothed them, and fed them? :shrug:

I am a few months from 18 and so I know how she thinks. If you guys really think this is about her, my perspective is invaluable to you in making your chioces. I have a lot of experience is handling delicate situations, though a happy family, there has always been friction in my house - mom and dad, mom and granny, dad and grandpa - and I have always managed and handled them all as a sensible neutral party. I know what to do, how to do it and when to do it based on the intentions and motivations of the people involved. Dont let my age stand in the way of my actual and fairly measurable experience in such matters.

I mean, really, none of your advice makes any sense when dealing with children. It makes sense if he were dealing with his daughter if his daughter were a twenty year old going to the local community college. . . . but C'mon . . . she's friggin' FOURTEEN fer' crying out loud!

WHY does she deserve freedom? What has she done to deserve freedom? Has she gotten a drivers license? How about a job?

Agreed, but she is a human. Absolutism toward a child of ANY age is not humanitarianly acceptable. Be strict, impose your decisions, but do so only by making a better argument than the child. Otherwise the emotional relationship WILL degrade.

Yes, you DO let a teen do things, parents are their GUARDIANS, the give permission. At sixteen, some teens, if they think they are getting a raw deal, they can petition a court for emancipation, otherwise, everything you said is, really, completely incorrect.

Control is much better asserted through love and logic, I will agree with you there. . . but sometimes, parents do have other means at their disposal, lest you forget. :D

Granted. But even if coercion is used, it must be latter justified when the parent makes up for it.

Last edited:
I am not against you rewarding her with money, I meant that money should not be the only motivation for education and the pursuit of knowledge.

Someone who works hard should be rewarded. I was a terrible student as a kid, and found that science was the only thing that kept my interest; otherwise, I was up to no good.

I suddenly like you a lot more.

I really wish I could believe in something more. I'm a little envious of those people who do have faith. It must be a nice dream--like Santa Clause or the Easter Bunny.

Someone who works hard should be rewarded. I was a terrible student as a kid, and found that science was the only thing that kept my interest; otherwise, I was up to no good.

Agreed.

I really wish I could believe in something more. I'm a little envious of those people who do have faith. It must be a nice dream--like Santa Clause or the Easter Bunny.

I would disagree -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6w2M50_Xdk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Lm6pEhykhs&feature=channel_video_title
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ633MgjEqA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lfmRqT-B_c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0Ii_D3uDDY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMjE...xt=C3ac2e18UDOEgsToPDskLg3ItzLZmIxOm49dvAe1vl
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rqw4krMOug

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=111931
http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=111277
http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=111812
http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=111847
http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=111921

There is great joy and beauty, understand and amazement, fulfillment and satisfaction in the paradigm of atheists - pragmatism.

Back