Islam Must Rule the World

Status
Not open for further replies.
GeoffP, as I have said, the Jews did buy some land. However, the percentage they bought to what they reside on today is a mere 12.5%. One is obliged to ask the question, where did they obtain the other 87.5% of land? Besides, the 12.5% is probably an exaggerated number because it comes from a Zionist website. You YOURSELF said they only bought 2.5% of their land, in which case I ask, what about the other 97.5% they dwell on as of today? And so long as we're posting articles, I might as well play my part.

ISRAEL'S ILLEGAL OCCUPATION

The following article on Israel's illegal occupation of Palestinian land was written in response to an opinion piece that appeared in The New York Times on 21 March 2002. That piece, entitled 'Annan's Careless Language' and written by Mr George P Fletcher, contended that the Israeli occupation is not illegal, as was stated by UN Secretary-General [Kofi] Annan. This article, which was submitted to The New York Times for publication but regrettably declined, confronts this contention with a concise explanation regarding the undeniably illegal nature of the Israeli occupation.

By Nasser Al-Kidwa

Bringing an end to the Israeli occupation of Palestinian land is as much a prerequisite for peace in the Middle East as is the Palestinian recognition of Israel. The Israeli occupation is not only inhuman and the cause of extreme suffering for the 3.5 million Palestinians living under its subjugation, but it is also illegal under international law. Attempts to claim otherwise have no legal validity and are morally bankrupt and politically dangerous since they basically preclude the achievement of peace.

While it is true that victorious powers can legally occupy hostile territories seized in the course of conflict - an example of which is the Allies' occupation of the territory of Nazi Germany during World War II, foreign occupation should nevertheless be a temporary situation, pending a political settlement or solution. During the interim, the occupying Power must comply with relevant instruments of international humanitarian law with regard to its conduct in the territory it has occupied.

International law is very clear on two basic principles: the inadmissibility of the acquisition of territory by war and the prohibition of the transfer of civilians of the occupying Power to the occupied territory. Both are intended to prevent expansionism and the colonisation of occupied territories. Both complement another explicit principle of international law, namely the right of peoples to self-determination, a right that a colonial or occupying Power is obliged to respect.

The Israeli occupation has clearly violated all three of these principles of international law. In fact, throughout its prolonged occupation, Israel has persistently and aggressively breached international law.

Thus, what makes the Israeli occupation of Palestinian land illegal is not the fact that it occurred during the war of 1967 (regardless of the narrative concerning the causes of the war). What makes the Israeli occupation illegal is that it has existed for 35 years, during which time it transformed into a form of colonialism and suppressed and oppressed an entire people for decades, preventing them from the exercise of their right to self-determination and the establishment of their State, Palestine.

Israel, as an occupying Power, has undertaken countless measures attempting to change the legal status, demographic composition and character of the territory by confiscating land, exploiting natural resources, building more than 250 settlements, transferring more than 400,000 Israelis to the occupied territories, establishing a dual system of law and even annexing part of the territory.

These actions have been carried out in direct contravention of the Fourt Geneva Convention relative to the Protection of Civilian Persons in Time of War, which, among other things, defines the rules of conduct and the obligations of the occupying Power. Clearly then, the active intent of the Israeli occupation has been to negate Palestinian rights, to create new facts on the ground and to illegally expand Israel's borders.

Security Council resolution 242 (1967), which is the bedrock of the peace process and of any future peace settlement, is anchored in the principle of the inadmissibility of the acquisition of territory by war. The old and deceptive argument that the resolution calls for withdrawal from 'territories' and not 'the territories' not withstanding (in fact, the French text of the resolution does contain the article 'the'). The call in the resolution for the withdrawal of Israel can only be read within the context of the above-mentioned principle.

Since the onset of the Israeli occupation in 1967, and in response to established, illegal policies and practices of the occupying Power, the Security Council has adopted 26 resolutions that affirmed the applicability of the Fourth Geneva Convention to the territories occupied by Israel. Of those resolutions, several deal directly with the issue of Israeli settlements and several also specifically deal with Israeli violations in Occupied East Jerusalem.

The resolutions clearly address the illegality of Israel's policies and practices with regard to both issues. For example, some of the resolutions affirm that the Israeli settlements 'have no legal validity'; call upon the government and people of Israel 'to dismantle the existing settlements'; and call upon 'all States not to provide Israel with any assistance to be used specifically in connection with settlements in the occupied territories'.

As for Occupied East Jerusalem, which the Israeli government illegally annexed in 1980, the Security Council, in resolution 478 (1980), determined 'that all legislative and administrative measures and actions taken by Israel, the occupying Power, which have altered or purport to alter the character and status of the Holy City of Jerusalem, and, in particular, the recent "basic law" on Jerusalem are null and void and must be rescinded forthwith'.

Similar affirmations were made by the Council in several other resolutions. Moreover, the General Assembly and other UN organs have adopted scores of resolutions on the illegal policies and practices of the Israeli occupation and on the legitimacy of, and the necessity for, the exercise of the right to self-determination by the Palestinian people.

There has therefore been absolutely no impropriety on the part of the UN Secretary-General concerning his recent statements with regard to the Israeli occupation. Kofi Annan's call for an end to 'the illegal occupation' was not only legally correct but was also not a concept invented by the Secretary-General, as reflected in the numerous resolutions of the United Nations. It was, however, important for Mr Annan to add his moral authority to the urgent need for an end to that illegal occupation, particularly during this late stage in the perilous deterioration of the situation.

In that statement on 12 March 2002, the Secretary-General addressed both the Palestinian and Israeli sides. The Palestinian side probably did not like everything it heard. But, taken in its entirety, the statement was widely viewed as a necessary and responsible call that intended to, and should, help the parties to move forward towards a peaceful settlement. For this to happen, the Israeli people and the Israeli government must indeed come to terms, for once and for all, with the illegality of their occupation and the need for its termination. - Third World Network Features

About the writer: Dr Nasser Al-Kidwa is Ambassador and Permanent Observer of Palestine to the United Nations.

Note: The settlements in Israel are much higher than indicated in this article, because this piece was written in 2002. The expansion and colonizing has been continuous.

Last edited:
We'll split the difference and say 600,000 or so. Fair?

Dear Norsefire,

Israelis are in Israel. Americans are in America. Just thought I'd mention that. No idea what you're referring to.

Sincerely,

GeoffP

Are all Israelis zionist? Is it zionism to defend yourself from aggression?

Then you should have some understanding that the Jews bought the land - and yes, from the Palestinians where they were the owners.

Read on, and be pwned:

Despite the growth in their population, the Arabs continued to assert they were being displaced. The truth is that from the beginning of World War I, part of Palestine's land was owned by absentee landlords who lived in Cairo, Damascus and Beirut. About 80 percent of the Palestinian Arabs were debt-ridden peasants, semi-nomads and Bedouins.18

Jews actually went out of their way to avoid purchasing land in areas where Arabs might be displaced. They sought land that was largely uncultivated, swampy, cheap and, most important, without tenants. In 1920, Labor Zionist leader David Ben-Gurion expressed his concern about the Arab fellahin, whom he viewed as "the most important asset of the native population." Ben-Gurion said "under no circumstances must we touch land belonging to fellahs or worked by them." He advocated helping liberate them from their oppressors. "Only if a fellah leaves his place of settlement," Ben-Gurion added, "should we offer to buy his land, at an appropriate price."19

It was only after the Jews had bought all of the available uncultivated land that they began to purchase cultivated land. Many Arabs were willing to sell because of the migration to coastal towns and because they needed money to invest in the citrus industry.20

When John Hope Simpson arrived in Palestine in May 1930, he observed: "They [Jews] paid high prices for the land, and in addition they paid to certain of the occupants of those lands a considerable amount of money which they were not legally bound to pay."21

In 1931, Lewis French conducted a survey of landlessness and eventually offered new plots to any Arabs who had been "dispossessed." British officials received more than 3,000 applications, of which 80 percent were ruled invalid by the Government's legal adviser because the applicants were not landless Arabs. This left only about 600 landless Arabs, 100 of whom accepted the Government land offer.22

In April 1936, a new outbreak of Arab attacks on Jews was instigated by a Syrian guerrilla named Fawzi al*Qawukji, the commander of the Arab Liberation Army. By November, when the British finally sent a new commission headed by Lord Peel to investigate, 89 Jews had been killed and more than 300 wounded.23

The Peel Commission's report found that Arab complaints about Jewish land acquisition were baseless. It pointed out that "much of the land now carrying orange groves was sand dunes or swamp and uncultivated when it was purchased....there was at the time of the earlier sales little evidence that the owners possessed either the resources or training needed to develop the land."24 Moreover, the Commission found the shortage was "due less to the amount of land acquired by Jews than to the increase in the Arab population." The report concluded that the presence of Jews in Palestine, along with the work of the British Administration, had resulted in higher wages, an improved standard of living and ample employment opportunities.25

In his memoirs, Transjordan's King Abdullah wrote:

It is made quite clear to all, both by the map drawn up by the Simpson Commission and by another compiled by the Peel Commission, that the Arabs are as prodigal in selling their land as they are in useless wailing and weeping (emphasis in the original).26​

Even at the height of the Arab revolt in 1938, the British High Commissioner to Palestine believed the Arab landowners were complaining about sales to Jews to drive up prices for lands they wished to sell. Many Arab landowners had been so terrorized by Arab rebels they decided to leave Palestine and sell their property to the Jews.27

The Jews were paying exorbitant prices to wealthy landowners for small tracts of arid land. "In 1944, Jews paid between $1,000 and $1,100 per acre in Palestine, mostly for arid or semiarid land; in the same year, rich black soil in Iowa was selling for about $110 per acre."28

By 1947, Jewish holdings in Palestine amounted to about 463,000 acres. Approximately 45,000 of these acres were acquired from the Mandatory Government; 30,000 were bought from various churches and 387,500 were purchased from Arabs. Analyses of land purchases from 1880 to 1948 show that 73 percent of Jewish plots were purchased from large landowners, not poor fellahin.29 Those who sold land included the mayors of Gaza, Jerusalem and Jaffa. As'ad el*Shuqeiri, a Muslim religious scholar and father of PLO chairman Ahmed Shuqeiri, took Jewish money for his land. Even King Abdullah leased land to the Jews. In fact, many leaders of the Arab nationalist movement, including members of the Muslim Supreme Council, sold land to Jews.30

18 Moshe Aumann, Land Ownership in Palestine 1880-1948, (Jerusalem: Academic Committee on the Middle East, 1976), p. 5.
19 Shabtai Teveth, Ben-Gurion and the Palestinian Arabs: From Peace to War, (London: Oxford University Press, 1985), p. 32.
20 Yehoshua Porath, Palestinian Arab National Movement: From Riots to Rebellion: 1929-1939, vol. 2, (London: Frank Cass and Co., Ltd., 1977), pp. 80, 84.
21 John Hope Simpson, Palestine: Report on Immigration, Land Settlement and Development, (London, 1930), p. 51.
22 Avneri, pp. 149-158; Cohen, p. 37; based on the Report on Agricultural Development and Land Settlement in Palestine by Lewis French, (December 1931, Supplementary; Report, April 1932) and material submitted to the Palestine Royal Commission.
23 Netanel Lorch, One Long War, (Jerusalem: Keter, 1976), p. 27; Sachar, p. 201.
24 Palestine Royal Commission Report (1937), p. 242.
25 Palestine Royal Commission (1937), pp. 241-242.
26 King Abdallah, My Memoirs Completed, (London, Longman Group, Ltd., 1978), pp. 88-89.
27 Yehoshua Porath, Palestinian Arab National Movement: From Riots to Rebellion: 1929-1939, vol. 2, (London: Frank Cass and Co., Ltd., 1977), pp. 86-87.
28 Moshe Aumann, Land Ownership in Palestine 1880-1948, (Jerusalem: Academic Committee on the Middle East, 1976), p. 13.
29 Abraham Granott, The Land System in Palestine, (London, Eyre and Spottiswoode, 1952), p. 278.
30 Arieh Avneri, The Claim of Dispossession, (Tel Aviv: Hidekel Press, 1984), p. 28; Yehoshua Porath, The Emergence of the Palestinian-Arab National Movement, 1918-1929, (London: Frank Cass, 1974), pp. 179-180, 224-225, 232-234; Porath (77), pp. 72-73.

Total nonsense. The enemy vastly outgunned them, and they still won with the barest of equipment.

Total supposition. You don't even know what life is like in Israel, yet you're certain they want to kill you all.

No, I'm an expert in the truth. It only stings because you're not used to it. Also: not American.

With free-fall unaimed rockets and suicide bombers, eh? :rolleyes: Sure they do. Of course, Hezbollah thinks that all Israelis are IDF and thereby targets, so you might have a point.

Then I conclude you have no interest in peace, and never did. The Israelis have nukes. Try them at your leisure.

I put little faith in the descendants of the Shah; but that's for Iran to decide anyway.

Um nah cus they only had 185000 men.

therefore you know no isrealis you only know americans

All Iranians are extremists?

No, remember in 1948 syria was on herself for only 2 years and Israel had allies

Um yea, I do. I've lived in syria and syrian culture is similar to Israeli culture, mediteranean culture.

Yea, suicide bombers who are brainwashed young men. But hesbollah targets the IDF unlike Israel only targeting Hesbollah, Im sure the nun was a hesbollah member:rolleyes:

Yea, nukes! :roflmao: sure, just because they have nukes they automatically win. I'm sure Israel would not use a nuke so close to home, unless they want to be wiped off the face of the Earth.

Illegal occupation... wtf do you mean. How is it illegal? All over history people have conquered other countries. Including muslims...

Illegal occupation... wtf do you mean. How is it illegal? All over history people have conquered other countries. Including muslims...

Sure, but no one had a country handed to them as compensation for being baked elsewhere.:shrug:

Sure, but no one had a country handed to them as compensation for being baked elsewhere.:shrug:

Wow! Sam, that's one of the worst things I think I've ever read on this site! I can't believe that you wrote that ....oh, wait, yes, I can believe "you" wrote it. I just can't believe that it's been permitted to stay.

Sam, you should be permenantly banned for that remark ...or worse!

Now do you see why so many around here hate you ....and hate your nasty, mean, dirty, underhanded posts?

Baron Max

Wow! Sam, that's one of the worst things I think I've ever read on this site! I can't believe that you wrote that ....oh, wait, yes, I can believe "you" wrote it. I just can't believe that it's been permitted to stay.

Sam, you should be permenantly banned for that remark ...or worse!

Now do you see why so many around here hate you ....and hate your nasty, mean, dirty, underhanded posts?

Baron Max

Are you getting oversensitive too? Boy, it must be contagious.

Sam, you should be absolutely ashamed of what you said ....and worse, you should be ashamed for even thinking it, let alone posting it.

But then, I forgot, you like reading about Muslim terrorist blowing up and killing other people, don't you? ...especially Israelis and Americans.

I think I'm simply going to quit interacting with you altogether ...you aren't worth it.

Baron Max

It's correct. Nobody wanted to deal with the collective guilt of the Holocaust, and it gave the ZIonists just the right leverage.

I think I'm simply going to quit interacting with you altogether ...you aren't worth it.

There is an expression....."don't threaten me with a good time!"

It's not often I would get the opportunity to defend sam, considering a number of people have already complained to her about her posts.

But, even though I've had many a rift with sam, I would never think to hate her. And, I'm sure most who also have had heated discussions with her would also not go to that length.

Sam's probably a very nice person, just a little funny in the head, you know... funny... in the head...

Sam's probably a very nice person, just a little funny in the head, you know... funny... in the head...

"And he went and did a silly thing....now I'll tell you what he did.....well he ordered his planes, to attack your country...."

strangelove10.jpg

It's correct. Nobody wanted to deal with the collective guilt of the Holocaust, and it gave the ZIonists just the right leverage.

I have read of many Indian Jews who came back because they did not feel right about the whole thing; I recently also read an account of an American Jew, whose parents/grandparents (I forget which), returned because they felt the people staying there had more rights to the place than they did.

Recently I finished reading The Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine and A City of Oranges (recommended to me by a stranger during a random conversation on oranges at an airport) and its amazing to me how little of the truth is actually known; post Holocaust guilt has created more victims and I for one see no reason to use political correctness as an excuse to deny the truth, none of my ancestors were in the German camps.:shrug:

There is an expression....."don't threaten me with a good time!"

The Baron couldn't stop commenting on me if he were comatose.:p

I have no fear of his oft-repeated threats.

Last edited:
I have read of many Indian Jews who came back because they did not feel right about the whole thing; I recently also read an account of an American Jew, whose parents/grandparents (I forget which), returned because they felt the people staying there had more rights to the place than they did.

The formation of Isreal could have been better handled. (Understatement!) I no longer feel, as I once did, that Isreal is an illegal state, but I can't help but make a bitchy comparison between a country founded on kicking the natives out and another country founded on partitioning them out.

Recently I finished reading The Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine and A City of Oranges and its amazing to me how little of the truth is actually known; post Holocaust guilt has created more victims and I for one see no reason to use political correctness as an excuse to deny the truth, none of my ancestors were in the German camps.:shrug:

And mine were. Being Czeck, it was hardly the same thing, but victimhood is no secure basis for politics.
Isreal would also have a better claim to victimhood were it not for conditions in some "resettlement areas" or whatever the "correct" term is.

The formation of Isreal could have been better handled. (Understatement!) I no longer feel, as I once did, that Isreal is an illegal state, but I can't help but make a bitchy comparison between a country founded on kicking the natives out and another country founded on partitioning them out.

I used to feel the Jews needed a place to get away to, after the Holocaust, and I doubt anyone would have kicked them out of Arabia if they had not decided to "take over"; Arab hospitality rules themselves would be against turning away anyone in need of refuge (this is before westernization left its secular mark, of course). The imam of Mecca himself made a speech in that regard, indicating that the return of the Jews to the land that belonged to them would contribute prosperity to the people.

However, after reading what really happened at the time (see Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine), I feel the creation of Israel was a mistake. But that was a mistake in the past, and we live with the consequences of our pasts. The ideal, in my opinion, would be that Israel learns to get along with its neighbors, without which, I see no future for Israel nor its neighbors.

And mine were. Being Czeck, it was hardly the same thing, but victimhood is no secure basis for politics.
Isreal would also have a better claim to victimhood were it not for conditions in some "resettlement areas" or whatever the "correct" term is.

It also behooves the question: who are the victims? I have sympathy for the prisoners of the Holocaust, but their descendants have all the opportunities their predecessors were denied. Time to join the real world.

Last edited:
I used to feel the Jews needed a place to get away to, after the Holocaust, and I doubt anyone would have kicked them out of Arabia if they had not decided to "take over";

To what incident are you referring?

However, after reading what really happened at the time (see Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine), I feel the creation of Israel was a mistake. But that was a mistake in the past, and we live with the consequences of our pasts. The ideal, in my opinion, would be that Israel learns to get along with its neighbors, without which, I see no future for Israel nor its neighbors.

Thanks for the recommendation, by the way. I have it on my wish list now.

The latter sentiment is something everyone agrees with - it's just that there's no consensus on "what Isreal is entitled to" and "how does Isreal get along with its neighbors?"

It also behooves the question: who are the victims? I have sympathy for the prisoners of the Holocaust, but their descendants have all the opportunities their predecessors were denied. Time to join the real world.

Correct. I also love this presumption that the Jews were the only people ever subject to ethnic clensing. Hollywood has its role in this, and who runs Hollywood.....?

More thoughts:

Being Indian also makes a difference to my perspective, I think; I have no concept of Jews as victims and neither did any of the people in the ME I spoke to; for them as for us, what happened during the war happened to all war victims and was not especially a Jewish phenomenon, it was not until I came to the West that I realised how much the Holocaust is entrenched in the western psyche and how much political correctness surrounds any talk on Judaism. I'm sure this is an essential gulf in the understanding about Isreal where the ME and the West are concerned. (also why questioning the Holocaust is no big deal in the ME but is a sacrilege in the West. OMG, Madennedjedi said not so many people died in Holocaust!)

My own views are based on what Gandhi said:
http://www.kamat.com/mmgandhi/mideast.htm

Someone, somewhere must have written a book about the Holocaust Industry.

Anyways, goodnight SAM, time for me to go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back