Is Hate Delusional Thinking?

the emotional underpinnings that grant you such a world outlook of course.
M*W: There is nothing emotional about it. I make my own choices, and I'm not influenced by another's emotional underpinnings. Nothing in this life is granted to us without our own will making it so.

M*W: What will consume us if nothing is there?

the emotional underpinnings that grant you such a world outlook of course.
While I like lightgitantic's answer I'll supplement one of my own.
The consumption is in his time, mental efforts and desire to display his belief. be it by fashion or verbally.

It isn't disbelief in a god that consumes us. It's the evil perpetrated in the name of that god over two millennia. As I noted in my previous post, much of that evil is both enormous and irreparable.

Genghis Khan is probably the greatest figure of evil in our history who was not motivated by Abrahamic monotheism. And the depredations of his armies pale in comparison to those of the Muslim armies of Caliph Omar and the Christian armies of Pope Urban.

If I don't squelch her in advance, Sam will jump in and say that the depredations of Stalin and Mao were motivated by atheism, and I'll have to remind her that communism is an offshoot of Christianity. The notion that what a man takes from civilization need not correlate with what he gives back is not one that would have popped into the head of any self-respecting member of a Hindu, Jewish or Confucian society.

The evil perpetrated in the name of god is by an a few extraordinary people whose numbers are irrelevant for a case study of how atheism affects the average individual. I'm saying that atheism today manifests its self in obsession. The atheist is more outspoken because he's a minority, it consumes their time and resources to be an atheist. This is not universal, or even a good stereotype. But 'Q' and people like him go out of their way to post attacks against religion when the presence of a god is assumed as a starting point. When the starting of a point has god assumed and you believe it to be false aren't you obsessive if you're responding at all (If your response is in disagreement with the premise)? This is especially true when you're both in a minority. I never engage in religion conversation with Christians and interject "But Jesus isn't savior" for a few reasons; it doesn't help my case, it doesn't further their discussion, it's a reiteration of what they probably already knew of my opinion.

It isn't disbelief in a god that consumes us. It's the evil perpetrated in the name of that god over two millennia. As I noted in my previous post, much of that evil is both enormous and irreparable.

The worst wars of modern times and the worst atrocities have been committed by areligious states, which do not have religion as their motivation.

Genghis Khan is probably the greatest figure of evil in our history who was not motivated by Abrahamic monotheism. And the depredations of his armies pale in comparison to those of the Muslim armies of Caliph Omar and the Christian armies of Pope Urban.

Can we see some evidence for this?

If I don't squelch her in advance, Sam will jump in and say that the depredations of Stalin and Mao were motivated by atheism, and I'll have to remind her that communism is an offshoot of Christianity. The notion that what a man takes from civilization need not correlate with what he gives back is not one that would have popped into the head of any self-respecting member of a Hindu, Jewish or Confucian society.

How does that "squelch" the argument unless you are claiming that atheism has no influence on a person at all? I could easily "squelch" your argument by saying that any "religious" person who makes war is clearly an atheist pretending to believe in God to attain his ambitions. We have confessions from atheists here who tell us outright that they hide their beliefs to attain their ends.

Religion is an enormous issue; it's the 500-pound gorilla of issues. Averaged over the centuries since the rise of Christianity, and exacerbated by the rise of Islam, Abrahamic religion has been (certainly) one of the top two or three forces for disharmony and violence among humans, and (arguably) the number one force.

In the name of their god and with the blessing and encouragement of their top religious leaders, Abrahamists have destroyed three of earth's precious civilizations. (Egypt, Inca and Aztec/Maya/Olmec.) Whether from a purely scholarly, academic perspective, or from a touchy-feely humanitarian perspective, there is no greater sin than the obliteration of an entire civilization, and it is a sin that the Abrahamist community (or communities, they seem to be able to discern subtle differences among themselves) can never atone for.

It's rather difficult to get past that when deciding which battle to join--which evil against which to muster one's finite energies.

When I think about speaking out in the debates over drugs, spanking, abortion or immigration, I'm overwhelmed by the image of ALL of the Aztec libraries being burned by Christians, because ALL of the history of an entire people was labeled "heathen." Today the power of the Christian community has waned slightly in the West, but the baton of evil has been passed to their clones, the Muslim community in the Middle East.

If so many of us atheists are fixated on religion, it's because we see transcendence over religion as humanity's most pressing need.

Even though there is a thing or two I could say in response to this, you are changing the subject.

Q made the point that religion makes good people do bad things.

I asked what makes an atheist do bad things.

IOW I am asking about the hatred that is expressed on an individual level (since if you want to extrapolate the phenomena to a communal level, you inevitably bring in the sociology of power, politics and media which don't really stand as being intrinsically a/theistic .... for instance one could just as easily paint a tirade of atheist powers having a field day in ignorance the moment they come to office)

M*W: There is nothing emotional about it. I make my own choices, and I'm not influenced by another's emotional underpinnings.
hence one's own personal emotional issues come to the fore

Nothing in this life is granted to us without our own will making it so.
we didn't will ourselves into life.

Neither do we will the basic requirements of life (like water, air and food) into existence .... although we do seem to have a knack for spoiling them

And death will inevitably pay us a visit, no matter how much we might will to the contrary.

We might bring our will to bear on a few things, but these are but minor details in the bigger picture in which we exist.

The worst wars of modern times and the worst atrocities have been committed by areligious states, which do not have religion as their motivation.
Even if that were true, I noted that the only valid way to measure the evil done by evangelical monotheism is to average it over the two millennia since it first began its metastasis. I regard the annihilation of half of the world's civilizations as a greater evil than the results of WWI and WWII (which some historians regard as one war with an intermission). The Holocaust (which is included in WWII's death toll because the Nazis understood that it could only be undertaken under the fog of war) cannot be separated from Christendom's millennium of antisemitism, clearly a religion-based hatred. That leaves one point for Hitler: his attempted genocide of the Gypsies, which is not a religion-based hatred.

Besides, as Jung pointed out, evangelical monotheism exacerbates our species' tribal instinct by making its disciples believe they are superior to their neighbors AND that someone needs to help those poor neighbors improve themselves even against their own objections. He noted that Christianity specifically puts its communities into a frame of mind in which they can easily be swayed toward war, probably because of its emphasis on a fictitious afterlife that makes mortal life seem easier to sacrifice.

It is not a coincidence that the Christian nations have developed the "weapons of mass destruction" that define their era, starting with guns.
Can we see some evidence for this? [That Genghis Khan's depredations pale in comparison to those of the armies of evangelical monotheism.]
Genghis Khan's body count is certainly impressive: ten percent of the population that the transportation technology of the era brought into his sphere of influence. But the Mongols never attempted to commit genocide, and they certainly never attempted to destroy a civilization. Their m.o. was simply to take over the leadership of a prosperous civilization and enjoy the perquisites that came with leadership. In fact, from China to Turkey, to a greater or lesser degree they assimilated into the occupied peoples. In China they adopted the language and in the Middle East they adopted the religion.

This contrasts with Caliph Omar's armies, who brought an end to the traditions, practices, language and other culture of Egyptian civilization (except their sturdy stone monuments), marginalized the population, flooded the country with Arabs, and established an Arabic culture with the Arabic language and the Muslim religion. (In Afghanistan, with modern weapons at their disposal, Caliph Omar's spiritual descendants actually destroyed some gigantic treasured statues of Buddha that were carved into a mountainside.)

And do we need to recount the evil done by Pope Urban's armies in the Americas? The 2,000-year old Aztec/Maya/Olmec Bronze Age civilization was demolished, leaving, again, only the huge stone edifices whose destruction was beyond the power of pre-industrial weapons. Their libraries, the repository of their history and culture, were burned so completely that today we have trouble deciphering Maya script. The same fate befell the slightly younger Bronze Age civilization of the Incas. They had not invented writing but the Christians melted down their "blasphemous" artworks--the legacy of their culture--and shipped them back to Europe as raw bullion. Throughout the Western Hemisphere, including north of the Rio Grande where the first baby steps toward civilization were in progress, the natives were marginalized, their culture pushed aside, and boatloads of Christian occupiers claimed the so-called "wilderness" as their own to exploit and convert into an outpost of Europe. Everywhere they went, the first buildings were churches and the "heathen" locals who had managed to survive where assimilated.
How does that "squelch" the argument unless you are claiming that atheism has no influence on a person at all? I could easily "squelch" your argument by saying that any "religious" person who makes war is clearly an atheist pretending to believe in God to attain his ambitions.
But until very recently those "ends" were so often purely religious in motivation, generally rooted in the evangelical imperative that shapes Christianity and Islam. If atheists in disguise were in command of the armies who fought the wars that defined the Reformation, what would they have to gain from either the defense of Catholicism or the victory of Protestantism? If Pope Urban were a closet atheist, why would he burn books and melt down works of art, instead of packing them up and shipping them to European libraries and museums, which enhances the wealth of the victors and is the norm when Christian armies conquer other Christian nations?
We have confessions from atheists here who tell us outright that they hide their beliefs to attain their ends.
Or just to survive! The Inquisition is not forgotten, and if the Muslims achieve their goal of world domination it will start anew.

But to take your point seriously, if I were a megalomaniac who found myself appointed Dictator of America, I would set about reforming America. I'd try to improve the attraction of rational thought and reduce the influence of supernaturalism and other irrationality. I'd see to it that reason played a larger role in our culture, from our counterproductive glut of attorneys to our idiotic terrorism-fixated risk management. I'd abolish the tax exemption for churches, significantly reducing their number. I'd facilitate the spread of Buddhism with its lack of a deity and its respect for science, of Hinduism with its non-evangelical polytheism that resonates more harmoniously with the human spirit, and of other Eastern philosophies that downplay supernaturalism and do not as strongly reinforce our tribal instinct. I'd also facilitate the existing growth of secularism, agnosticism, atheism and non-denominational personal religious philosophies.

What I would not do is make war on Thailand or Malaysia in order to make them Christian countries.

As a third-generation atheist who may have a mutation that lost my gene for the supernaturalism instinct, or who at least has never discovered a vestige of the Stone Age tribalism instinct inside myself, I would use my power to push my people toward peace and to integrate them into the Global Village.

Of course as a small-d democrat, it would be difficult for me to effectively wield my despotic powers.;)
Even though there is a thing or two I could say in response to this, you are changing the subject. Q made the point that religion makes good people do bad things. I asked what makes an atheist do bad things.
Sorry, I was answering another question. Someone asked why atheists put so much of our cognitive energy into the phenomenon of religion, something we don't even believe in. The answer is that religion dominates the world, religion is evil, and religion continually threatens to bring down civilization and take us back to the Stone Age, where it was more appropriate. Anyone who cares about the future of our species, and is not blinded by his instinct to believe in the supernatural, can't help but be terrified of what evangelical monotheism has done to mankind.
IOW I am asking about the hatred that is expressed on an individual level . . . .
I explained that hatred is usually a manifestation of our species' pack-social instinct. Sure it can be a rational reaction to a personal threat, but it's often an instinctive (although unconsciously rational, which Sam dismisses as unimportant, rather odd for a biologist) reaction to someone who we perceive as a threat to the survival, or at least the prosperity, of our family, our tribe, our nation, or our entire civilization.

I hate the guy who shot my cat because he harmed the emotional health of my family, but I also hate him because people who walk around shooting guns for any reason except self defense reduce the viability of civilization.
. . . . since if you want to extrapolate the phenomena to a communal level, you inevitably bring in the sociology of power, politics and media which don't really stand as being intrinsically a/theistic .... for instance one could just as easily paint a tirade of atheist powers having a field day in ignorance the moment they come to office
I don't know what country you live in but in the United States with its self-serving too-big-for-its-britches government, the higher a level you attain in our government, the more exclusively it selects for only two traits:
  • You love power
  • You will do anything you have to in order to get it or increase it
Theists and atheists go through the same filter. Once you get up beyond the level of the county council or the water commissioner, all you care about is having power and wielding it. Your religion or lack of it is secondary. Christians in Congress routinely violate the principles of their religion, are lambasted for it by the staunch co-religionists among their constituents, and are re-elected by the others.

It is not a coincidence that the Christian nations have developed the "weapons of mass destruction" that define their era, starting with guns.

So all the scientists who worked on the atomic bomb were Christians?

Could you name the significant developers of weapons of mass destruction and their religious affiliations?

This contrasts with Caliph Omar's armies, who brought an end to the traditions, practices, language and other culture of Egyptian civilization (except their sturdy stone monuments), marginalized the population, flooded the country with Arabs, and established an Arabic culture with the Arabic language and the Muslim religion. (In Afghanistan, with modern weapons at their disposal, Caliph Omar's spiritual descendants actually destroyed some gigantic treasured statues of Buddha that were carved into a mountainside.)

Huh? Caliph Omar came after the Persians, Romans and Byzantines. Do you honestly think the Egyptian civilisation survived these three?

Besides Omar didn't "flood Egypt with Arabs", he's the guy who could not be identified as the leader because he was dressed just like the soldiers. The Egyptian population is probably over 90% native Egypt, Arabised, but not Arabic.Omar is also guy who cleaned the garbage around the wailing wall with his own hands and invited the Jews back to Jerusalem. He is famous for his just treatment of non-Muslims and known for his humble nature. He built the Masjid al Aqsa as a place of worship for all the Abrahamic religions not just Muslims and sincerely believed in treating prisoners well. He is known for releasing all the POW Christians after the war with Byzantine and letting them go in return for a pledge of peace.

To compare him with the horde of Mongol warriors who ripped through China, Europe, Persia, Arabia, Japan, Korea, Vietnam and India is frankly baffling.

This is the guy who said:

If a dog dies hungry on the banks of the River Euphrates, Umar will be responsible for dereliction of duty.

Where have you read his history?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umar#Legacy

Last edited:
The source of communism, nazism, and other isms are also people. So what? There is no need to be disgusted with the people when it is the ideology that drives them.

All of those -isms, and -ions, have a big flaw. They ignore that we're human.

I'm not disgusted with humanity.

All of those -isms, and -ions, have a big flaw. They ignore that we're human.

I'm not disgusted with humanity.

Exactly. Humanity is a great thing, it just needs to get together. We don't hate one another as humans, we merely despise the ideologies that attempt to divide and conquer us.

Irrelevant, since there is no ideological justification for doing bad things, unlike religion.
on the contrary life is full of ideological justifications for doing bad things. You can find two broad categories within politics and justice, neither of which are intrinsically irreligious or religious.

:shrug:

on the contrary life is full of ideological justifications for doing bad things. You can find two broad categories within politics and justice

Sorry, but I don't find either ideological justifications for doing bad things. :shrug:

Sorry, but I don't find either ideological justifications for doing bad things. :shrug:
Nevertheless, the first thing a high ranking criminal will do when they anticipate getting busted is call their lawyer or ask a few favours from those who are on the take.

:shrug:

Geez, even a kid who gets caught stealing cookies will wail "but I was hungry" ....

Nevertheless, the first thing a high ranking criminal will do when they anticipate getting busted is call their lawyer or ask a few favours from those who are on the take.

What does that have to do with your claim?

Geez, even a kid who gets caught stealing cookies will wail "but I was hungry" ....

What does that have to do with your claim?

huh?

You said that you can't see any issues surrounding justice and politics offering ideological justifications for bad things.

I asked what planet do you live on.

You couldn't provide any, what planet are you on?

Back