Interpretation of the Bible?

The Message

There have been questions asking how you properly interpret the bible. I originaly posted this in the psudoscience/bible/ufo's/giants/ forum, and since I see similar questions asked here too, and it is a more apropriate area for the subject, I've reposted my answer here.

Q: How do you know what is true and what is parable?

Q: If every story in the Bible is not meant to be literal truth, how do you decide which ones are?, How do you know if ANY of it is?
-------------------------------------------------

A: Thats a fair question(s), and I will answer it to the best of my ability, with God's help. This may get a little lengthy, so I'm apolgizing in advance.
It's true, as a man, I could have as many different guesses of the true meaning of the scriptures as the next man. Many have made their best guesses and put their own interpretations to it in the past, some were close in some areas and some were not. But God's Word is of no privite interpration. "Word" in the Greek means two different things - "Rhema" is the "letter of the word", and "Logos" is the thought or true meaning of the word". One word can have many differnt meanings. The author of the bible "God" who wrote it by the prophets, is the only one who can correctly interpret it.
God is a manifestion of the promises made in His word, in that effect, God is the Word. (1 John 1:1-14). The whole bible is the revelation of Jesus Christ. Just as God has chosen to hide Himself from the "world", He has also chosen to hide the meaning of His Word from the "world", so He can reveal it to whom He will in a time and place of His own chosing. In John 6:44, Jesus said: "No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him". Only those He has chosen to see, will, and the rest will not. What I'm about to tell you is profound and startling, but it is the truth. I'm not responcible for making anyone believe it, thats up to Him. The bible has been a locked, or "sealed" book, the complete revelation of which has been witheld until the last days. (Dan 12:9-10). Rev. 10:1-7 says the "book " will remain sealed until Christ returns with the book in His hand open, and in the "days of the voice of the seventh angel" the mysteries of God should be finished.
The Jews missed their day of "visitation", because they mis-interpreted the scriptures' meaning, by confusing prophecies of Christ first and second comings. They thought He was coming to set up His kingdom, and missed His coming as the sacrifice. The "Gentiles" today and their organized religions have also missed, and are missing their "day of visitation". Mis-interpreting the scriptures, they have confused the people about how Christ has promised to return in His second coming. What was promised to the Gentiles was the "revelation of the Son of Man". Luke 17:26 " And as it was in the days of Noe, so shall it be also in the days of the Son of man." Luke 17:30 "Even thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed." Jesus refered to himself when he was here as the "Son of Man:, it is the title of an office, when God uses a prophet to reveal Himself to the people. John 6:53 "Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you." The Word itself seperates those who beleive from those who do not. He didn't explain it. Some said: "This is an hard saying; who can hear it?" and in John chapter 6:66 ( notice the numbers here) "From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him". Others chose to stay even though they didn't understand, because they believed he was "The Christ". See how God works. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever. He is the Son of Man, and He's come back and revealed Himself to this generation through the office of a prophet just as he promised. Amos 3:7, Mal 4:5-6, Rev 10:7 are just a few of the scriptures. The supernatural ministry of William Branham (1909-1965) was thoroughly vindicated as that of a prophet, a seer such as were the old testement prophets with all the signs, wonders, and miracles the world has not seen since the days Jesus Christ walked the earth. The disernment of the thoughts and intents of the heart, that only God could know, was displayed thousands of times without one single error. But as it was in Jesus first ministry, the miracles were not merely done for show, it was to attract the peoples attention, then after God had vindicated His messenger, He sat down to teach them doctrine. That pattern was repeated in this day. First the sign, then the voice of the sign. The miracles God performed night after night through William Branham's ministry attracted millions to the ranks of the pentacostal movement in the late 40's, 50's and early 60's. But in 1963, after letting there be no doubt this was truly a man God had raised up to be His prophet, Jesus Christ, the only one worthy, took the book, opened it, came down, and through the mouthpiece of a prophet revealed his Word that had been hidden since the foundation of the world. Things mortal man had only guessed at through the ages, His doctrine, the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven. (Rev. 10:7). It was the revelation of the Son of Man. He came exactly as promised, just not the way the church had it figured - sound familar ?. "the same yesterday, today and forever". After the churches (the organizations - not the people) rejected God's message, just as they did in His first coming, He turned to calling His people out of it's organized religous systems refered to as " Babylon the Great, mother of harlots and abominations of the earth". Rev 18:1-4. These things were not done in a corner, and the message is still unfolding more every day through a five-fold ministry (prophets, apostles, evangelist, pastors and teachers) of God called men. "We speak that we do know". They asked Jesus: "By what authority do you speak these things."? "Where did you receive this knowledge? We have no record of any school you went to for learning". It has been revealed from the mind of God. My own ideas were a million miles off. This is the wedding supper, the feast He promised. The marriage of the Lamb is come, the Bridegroom's here. With the revelation of His Word and His will, the Bride is making herself ready. The bride and the Bridegroom say come.
He's still here calling His elect....if you feel the pull after reading this, check into it....I've told you the truth, and I pray those who read this will have the eyes of their understanding enlightened.

God Bless You,

TheVisitor

Originally posted by spuriousmonkey
ok..but he certainly behaved suspicious, which would have been good enough reason to kill him in that era?

LMAO!!! this alone was enough to get me a good roaring laugh............thanks sm

Originally posted by heflores

But since the bible does not state when the flood happened and does not state the specifics of it like the discharge and water surface elevations, then there is nothing to proof, because we're not sure what magnitude flood are we trying to proof it's occurance. We'll have to take the historical account stated in the bible that some flood of unknown magnitude occured as true. [/B]

There are actually quite a few writings about the flood from other cultures and there have been a few archeological digs where they thought they had found an area that showed the flood. (ran into these a while back was quite interesting). There are quite enough writings to know that something of great magnitude happened back then. Two of the writings I remember right off hand is "The Flood Narrative" from the Gilgamesh Epic and the oldest known to date is from Ancient India Shatapatha-Brahmana. I believe this writing predates the story of Noah however the first ten books of the Bible were handed down through oral traditon so there is no telling how long they were telling the story. Some have suggested it was told through oral tradition for 2000 years before being written down.

Heflores, if the Qur'an was written by people who knew Jesus it might have been different. But God doesn't make plans that fail.

However, the Qur'an emphatically denies that Jesus ever claimed that he was divine himself. In this passage from 5:116, Jesus is questioned on the Day of Judgement:

And behold! God will say:
"O Jesus the son of Mary! Did you say unto men,
'Worship me and my mother as gods in derogation of God'?"
He will say: "Glory to You!
Never could I say what I had no right (to say) . . .
Never said I to them anything
except what You did command me to say, that is,
'Worship God, my Lord and your Lord'."

As for the crucifixion, this is also emphatically denied in 4:157 :

They [the Jews] said (in boast),
"We killed the Messiah Jesus
his name will be Messiah Jesus, the son of Mary,
the son of Mary, the Messenger of God" -
but they killed him not, nor did they crucify him,
but so it was made to appear to them,
and those who differ therein are full of doubts,
with no (certain) knowledge,
but only conjecture to follow,
for of a surety they killed him not.
Nay, God raised him up unto Himself;
and God is Exalted in Power, Wise.

Christians cannot follow Jesus and not believe what He said:
Matthew 4:10
Jesus said to him, "Away from me, Satan! For it is written: 'Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.'

But why would God send a prophet to confuse the very people he was supposed to save? It doesn't make sense that Jesus would know why he was sent, willing to die for it, and then his whole ministry would come undone in the confusion.

The Jews deny that God raised Jesus from the dead, some even deny that they crucified him. But if Jesus were not dead, what was there for God to raise, and what glory would it bring God? The Bible says that Jesus was raised and that God glorified His name through Jesus.

Jesus own disciples said (Acts 2:32) "God has raised this Jesus to life, and we are all witnesses of the fact." I don't understand why the Qur'an says we are supposed to be full of doubt. How would God's name be glorified in confusion and chaos? We believe what his own friends and followers believed:

"Who do people say the Son of Man is?"
They replied, "Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets.
"But what about you?" he asked. "Who do you say I am?"
Simon Peter answered, "You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God."
Jesus replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven."

We have to believe all that Jesus said. If we believe in the man, we also believe in the God who sent him. But who did God send, exactly? His own son! Not just another prophet!

Jesus, above all, lived and died to the glory of God:
Philippians 2
5Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
___ 6Who, being in very nature God,
_______did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
___ 7but made himself nothing,
_______taking the very nature of a servant,
_______being made in human likeness.
___ 8And being found in appearance as a man,
_______he humbled himself
_______and became obedient to death--
__________even death on a cross!
___9Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
_______and gave him the name that is above every name,
___ 10that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
_______in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
___ 11and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
_______to the glory of God the Father.

Only God can sufficiently glorify His name. And God chose to do it through Jesus. That should mean something.

No, I just made it look that way, pretty creative I thought, still I never thought so many people would take it so seriously, I wasn't even sure if it would sell, man this is crazy, people even worship it in a way :p hahahahaha
people are crazy

Jenyar declared war!

Originally posted by Jenyar
Heflores, if the Qur'an was written by people who knew Jesus it might have been different. But God doesn't make plans that fail.

Jenyar, be very very carefull and speak like an educated person. First of all, the Quran was not written by people. The Quran is a revelation from your god to his Prophet Muhammed (The comfortor) who was prophesized in the bible. I sure hope your god knew Jesus. But you'll not accept it without even reading it. You are one of those many that was brainwashed by the Europians with their modern inaccurate version of the bible. At least, the Quran was written down immediately as it was revealed 1500 years ago and the language is still preserved. The original script is available in full.

On the other hand, your bible, is written in a language that your god did not choose to protect. It was compiled over a loooong period of time, and the original scripts are not availalbe...how convineant, we can't check it for accuracy, unless we compare the million of versions that are floating around all saying different things. Too bad that even in the corrupt new testament, there is still signs of Islam.

Matt.21
[43] Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof.
****Please tell me, what Jesus is talking about here. What nation is he talking about here....

Isa.42
[11] Let the wilderness and the cities thereof lift up their voice, the villages that Kedar doth inhabit: let the inhabitants of the rock sing, let them shout from the top of the mountains.
****And here, Meccah, where the village of kedar, The rock, the house of god, where muslims pilgrimage every year, is prophecised in the bible to be where nations that speak IN TONGUES, arabic, not the mockery of religion you see in churches are told to sing and shout, like the muslims so weirdly sing their scriptures.....Bet you thought, we were a bunch of crazy singing our scriptures.

Gen.25
[13] And these are the names of the sons of Ishmael, by their names, according to their generations: the firstborn of Ishmael, Nebajoth; and Kedar, and Adbeel, and Mibsam,
******So you don't say I'm lying, Kedar is tied to Ismael and
Abraham.

[22] And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee.
***And the stone, that is not metamorphical, it's the house of god in Meccah. Built by the fathers of all religions Abraham as a witness to god. I take it you'll never visit it, because you think the house of god is in Rome where the pope lives.

Matt.21
[42] Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord's doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes?
****So the stone in Meccah (The house of god) that was rejected from the time of Abraham will become corner.....Wow....what do you think about that..I'm sure you don't get that straight meaning and start making up metamorphical stuff like people are stone... because you pay no attention....or too satisfied with the confusion in your bible.

"But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Paraclete shall not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you." John 16:7
***Here Jesus spoke of Prophet Muhammed (comfortor or paraclete) about him coming after Jesus leave. Now please tell me what Jesus is talking about here. Christians bug me when they tell me the holy spirit. Well, the holly spirit came to Muhammed. Do you think Jesus was speaking of an Alien here who was coming right after he leaves. Christians believe that this Paraclete has not come yet just like the jews believe jesus have not come yet.....I guess us Muslims get descriminated againest the most for being last, noone see ourway...who cares, everyone is responsible for themselves.

"When the Paraclete comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, that is the Spirit of Truth, who proceeds from the Father, he will bear witness of me." John 15:26
***Just incase you had doubt, the paraclete or comfortor is a He and not it. It's a man empowered with the holy spirit. Well, that's the only way god communicate with human through prophets empowerd by holly spirits.

"But when he, the Spirit of Truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own initiative, but whatever he hears, he will speak..." Jn. 16:13
******The Qur'an is a compilation of the "Divine Revelations" that were received by Prophet Muhammad, over a period of 23 years, through the arch angel Gabriel. The Prophet used to recite whatever he used to hear. His companions used to write down whatever he recited. The Qur'an does not contain the writings or teachings of Prophet Muhammad, as often mentioned by some misinformed authors.

2. "He shall glorify me." John 16:14
*****The Qur'an glorifies the birth of Jesus through Virgin Mary. It confirms; Jesus was a Messiah, a Messenger of God, the Spirit from God, the Word of God and the Righteous Prophet.

3. "He shall take mine and shall disclose it to you." John. 16:14
*****Prophet Muhammad did declare himself a Messenger/Prophet of God like Abraham, Moses and Jesus.

4. "He will teach you all things." John 14:26
*****The Qur'an teaches a way of life. It guides mankind, how to live a pious life socially, politically and spiritually.

5. "He will bring to your remembrance all that I said to you." John. 14:26
***The Qur'an speaks about the teachings of Jesus and even quotes him.

6. "He will bear witness of me" John 15:26
****The Qur'an attests the miracles performed by Jesus the Messiah. It also mentions one astonishing miracle performed by Jesus that the Gospel writers have not recorded (V:110). The Qur'an acknowledges that these miracles and signs were performed with the leave of Allah, by His righteous Servant and Messiah Jesus. The same is also attested in the Book of Acts 2:22; 3:13 (NASB).

Come on Jenyar, who is this person that is promised to the Christians to do all these things?? Keep believing it is the church, and you'll keep getting people who are confusing their bipolar manice depressant with spiritual meanings and think that if they speak nonesense, scream, shake, ect...then they are prophets of god.

What??

Matt.21
[43] Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof.
****Please tell me, what Jesus is talking about here. What nation is he talking about here....
He is talking to the High Priests and the Pharisees about taking it away from them.
Israel is the Nation

[22] And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee.
***And the stone, that is not metamorphical, it's the house of god in Meccah. Built by the fathers of all religions Abraham as a witness to god. I take it you'll never visit it, because you think the house of god is in Rome where the pope lives.
I would need an actual book to go by not just a verse here

Matt.21
[42] Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord's doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes?
****So the stone in Meccah (The house of god) that was rejected from the time of Abraham will become corner.....Wow....what do you think about that..I'm sure you don't get that straight meaning and start making up metamorphical stuff like people are stone... because you pay no attention....or too satisfied with the confusion in your bible.
This is about the coming of Christ (the story is a parable)
This is from Psalm 118.22 Isa 28.16 Mk 12.10 Ac 4.11 Ep 2.20 1Pe 2.6,7

"But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Paraclete shall not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you." John 16:7
***Here Jesus spoke of Prophet Muhammed (comfortor or paraclete) about him coming after Jesus leave. Now please tell me what Jesus is talking about here. Christians bug me when they tell me the holy spirit. Well, the holly spirit came to Muhammed. Do you think Jesus was speaking of an Alien here who was coming right after he leaves. Christians believe that this Paraclete has not come yet just like the jews believe jesus have not come yet.....I guess us Muslims get descriminated againest the most for being last, noone see ourway...who cares, everyone is responsible for themselves.

"When the Paraclete comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, that is the Spirit of Truth, who proceeds from the Father, he will bear witness of me." John 15:26
***Just incase you had doubt, the paraclete or comfortor is a He and not it. It's a man empowered with the holy spirit. Well, that's the only way god communicate with human through prophets empowerd by holly spirits.

"But when he, the Spirit of Truth, comes, he will guide you into all the truth; for he will not speak on his own initiative, but whatever he hears, he will speak..." Jn. 16:13
******The Qur'an is a compilation of the "Divine Revelations" that were received by Prophet Muhammad, over a period of 23 years, through the arch angel Gabriel. The Prophet used to recite whatever he used to hear. His companions used to write down whatever he recited. The Qur'an does not contain the writings or teachings of Prophet Muhammad, as often mentioned by some misinformed authors.
Thats all great but all the verses you quoted from John are again a parable and the comforter or paraclete (which is Greek) is Christ after his death when he has become a quickening spirit. He is talking about himself. Christ is the Messiah discussed in the Bible.

heflores

Come on Jenyar, who is this person that is promised to the Christians to do all these things?? Keep believing it is the church, and you'll keep getting people who are confusing their bipolar manice depressant with spiritual meanings and think that if they speak nonesense, scream, shake, ect...then they are prophets of god.

]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

"The Mohammedan today believes in one true God. And they say, "There is one true and living God, and Mohammed is his prophet." And we say (Christians) there's one true and living God, and Jesus is His Son." That's the difference. They come through the children of Ishmael. We come through the children of Isaac. "Being dead in Christ, take on Abraham's seed and are heirs, according to the promise." Not Jew outwardly, but Jew inwardly, by having the faith that Abraham had who takes God by His Word and calls those things which are not as though they were, 'cause God said so."

AN EXCERPT FROM A MEETING HELD BY W. BRANHAM 1961

http://www.nathan.co.za/message.asp?sermonum=769

"Well," I said, "then you've read the New Testament. Jesus, as you called Him, the prophet; I call Him the Son of God..." I said, "Truly He was a prophet. The Old Testament characters are to believe on their prophets, and He was the King Prophet, the God Prophet. And they were looking for Him. That's just what I brought in my message."
She said, "Correctly, sir. Therefore I asked to be the one to come up."
I said, "How many of you Mohammedans out there know this woman?" Many of them. I said, "Now, if Jesus, the Son of God, has anointed me with His Spirit, and I can tell you then, just like He would if He was standing here..." I said, "For healing you, He's already done it. All the attributes of His salvation that He purchased for us at Calvary is already over. The only thing He could do would be prove that He was Messiah. That's right. Promised His disciples to do the same."
Said, "I understand."

And the Holy Spirit came. I told her who she was by the Holy Spirit. I said, "Now, your husband is a short heavy-set man wearing a mustache. He was at a doctor the other day with you. And he give you a female examination. He told you you had a cyst on the ovary. That's the truth." I said, "What about it now?"
She said, "I accept Jesus Christ as my Saviour." That afternoon nearly ten thousand Mohammedans did the same thing. See, see, see? Not theology, but to see the power of God. See, friends...

(There's the sign being performed right in front of your own people, converting thousands of them to Christ....42 years ago. All of Christianity is not waiting for someone to come...to show them a sign, The signs been shown...)

Last edited:
Originally posted by one_raven
Kind of reminds me of those that use science to prove the possibility of some things in the Bible actually being possible, then turn around and refute all scientific evidence when it proves that something in the Bible could NOT have happened.

:rolleyes:

Which is it?

What seems strange to me, is that Science will prove that something in the bible, absolutely could not have happened, and then a few years later, the archelogical evidence turns you, that, hey, this actually did happen.

Science is based on observations, and those are constantly changing. He who believes that every thing that can be observed, has been observed, is a fool, and definitely has more faith than I'll ever be able to muster.

Originally posted by biblthmp
He who believes that every thing that can be observed, has been observed, is a fool, and definitely has more faith than I'll ever be able to muster.
I absolutely agree with that.
But biblthmp(nice name) none of this helps your cause in any way. Seriously, no matter what you say, you have NO GOOD REASON TO BELIEVE ANYTHING IN THE BIBLE.
You don't have a good reason to attribute earth's greatness to a questionable god, you have no reason to believe in heaven and hell, you have no reason to believe jesus was anything more than a nutjob and you have no reason to restrict your own life in order to apease this imaginary god because you could be wasting it and missing out on what "we" like to call fun.
What if you're wrong? Have you ever even thought to ask yourself that? Would even pondering the idea doom you to an eternity of torture in hell?
Think about it, you could be wrong, crazier things have happened, wouldn't it be terrible to have lived a repressed life only to rot into the ground like everything else?

Originally posted by Dr Lou Natic
I absolutely agree with that.
But biblthmp(nice name) none of this helps your cause in any way. Seriously, no matter what you say, you have NO GOOD REASON TO BELIEVE ANYTHING IN THE BIBLE.
You don't have a good reason to attribute earth's greatness to a questionable god, you have no reason to believe in heaven and hell, you have no reason to believe jesus was anything more than a nutjob and you have no reason to restrict your own life in order to apease this imaginary god because you could be wasting it and missing out on what "we" like to call fun.
What if you're wrong? Have you ever even thought to ask yourself that? Would even pondering the idea doom you to an eternity of torture in hell?
Think about it, you could be wrong, crazier things have happened, wouldn't it be terrible to have lived a repressed life only to rot into the ground like everything else?

Have you never heard of Pascal's wager?
I am not the one on the losing end.
What have I missed? Sexually transmitted diseases ad infinitum? More than enough prison time? Getting shot for messing with some guys wife?

Tell me, what have I lost, nothing, but a lot of pain and sufering. What have I gained? The Joy that God gives His obedient children.

And if you are wrong, then you have suffering in both this life, and the world to come.

]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

It's not a "repressed life" my friend, the freedom enjoyed in the life of a christian is something no amount of money can buy.
These things you call fun ..... come with a price .
Stop and think, and you will see.....everyone of them have their hooks in your life.....I've been on both sides.
Christ said: He who the Son sets free is free indeed.
It's those bound in sin (unbelief) who are living a "repressed life"
You can't serve two masters, either you serve Christ...or Mammon (the world)
And you see, ever who's servant you are....It is your master.

I am not the one on the losing end.What have I missed? Sexually transmitted diseases ad infinitum? More than enough prison time? Getting shot for messing with some guys wife?
Not believing in the Bible does not lead firectly to those thing. Atheists are still able to make decisions of right /wrong. The question is, why do you need someone else to tell you which is which?

Tell me, what have I lost, nothing, but a lot of pain and sufering. What have I gained? The Joy that God gives His obedient children.

So it is better to derive joy from a false belief then to create your own joy?

And if you are wrong, then you have suffering in both this life, and the world to come.

If I die... and still exist... then I'll believe in God. I don't see what I've lost. At the same time I've gained knowledge on various views of the afterlife, instead of being focused on just one.

Originally posted by Persol
I am not the one on the losing end.What have I missed? Sexually transmitted diseases ad infinitum? More than enough prison time? Getting shot for messing with some guys wife?
Not believing in the Bible does not lead firectly to those thing. Atheists are still able to make decisions of right /wrong. The question is, why do you need someone else to tell you which is which?

Had God not first divinely revealed this to human kind, there would be no way to determine right and wrong, for there would be no prerequisite absolute standard.

You are only able to determine what is right from what is wrong, becasue the divine standard has already been put forth.

Had God not first divinely revealed this to human kind, there would be no way to determine right and wrong, for there would be no prerequisite absolute standard.
I'm sorry, but that is bull. All societies have determined a strandard of right/wrong, and they don't all have your 'divine information'. The field of ethics also deals with this without relying on divine standards.

You are only able to determine what is right from what is wrong, becasue the divine standard has already been put forth.

Once again, that would imply those who do not know this standard would not know right from wrong. This is not the case.

Back