Influencing children to become homosexual

Should parents ever try to infulence their children to become homosexual?

• YES

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • NO

Votes: 40 95.2%

• Total voters
James R said:
D'ster:
I voted "No".

I would also have voted "No" to the question: "Should parents ever try to infulence their children to become heterosexual?"

This shows the importance of framing your poll questions carefully. That way, you'll test opinion on the subject you really want to know about, rather than some other thing which is much less interesting and controversial.
Well lets hear how you would have "framed" the question.

As far as I'm concerned the poll revealed excacty what I thought it would.

superluminal said:
Bollocks.
romans qoute was sarcasm directed to buddha threads in which buddha claimed that 95% of men prefer other men for sex.

but i agree it's bollocks

I think it's interesting that while some people may disagree about whether children should be influenced towards heterosexuality, almost absolutely NO ONE wants the parents to influence children towards homosexuality ( see D'sters other thread)

samcdkey,
You got it, just look at how many people try to claim that homosexuality and heterosexuality should be treated the same. But, when people are asked just one simple yes or no question, you can see that people can not treat both groups in the same way, in fact it's not even close.

What else I found interesting is that people seem to not want to vote on the other poll as much, I sence denile from this group.

The one vote in favor for homosexuality was just to spite the rest of us.

Step forth one homo voter and lets debate this.

samcdkey said:
I think it's interesting that while some people may disagree about whether children should be influenced towards heterosexuality, almost absolutely NO ONE wants the parents to influence children towards homosexuality ( see D'sters other thread)
Children shouldn't be influenced towards homosexuality because children shouldn't be influenced towards any sexuality.

D'ster said:
You got it, just look at how many people try to claim that homosexuality and heterosexuality should be treated the same. But, when people are asked just one simple yes or no question, you can see that people can not treat both groups in the same way, in fact it's not even close.
You are misinterpreting the results. You can't say, based on these results, that people try to claim that heteros and homos should be treated the same but secretly want children influenced towards heterosexuality.

You should ask everyone why they voted the way they did. That's the only way you can know the reasons behind the votes.

If people voted "no" for this poll and "yes" for the other one, my guess would be that they think heterosexuality is somehow better or more favorable than homosexuality. I further conjecture that these people actually don't claim that heterosexuals and homosexuals should be treated the same.

To put it bluntly: Use your brain, if you got one.

D'ster said:
What else I found interesting is that people seem to not want to vote on the other poll as much, I sence denile from this group.
This poll has twice as many votes. It's also twice as old. Give the other poll time. Don't expect everyone to flock to it, and don't expect immediate results.

Last edited:
I won't wait for you to ask me why I voted the way I did. I'll just go ahead and answer.

I voted no, because you shouldn't influence a child either towards or away from any sexual orientation. Let them grow up to be whatever they will grow up to be. Let them know that whatever they are is okay.

Unlike some other people, I claim that heteros and homos should be treated the same, and I actually do treat them both the same. ;)

As I've said before, not that it appears to matter, but there is strong evidence that the very idea of trying to influence someones sexuality is about as effective as trying to influence the growth of a third eye.

And of course Athelwulf is completely correct.

superluminal said:
As I've said before, not that it appears to matter, but there is strong evidence that the very idea of trying to influence someones sexuality is about as effective as trying to influence the growth of a third eye.
Totally correct.

superluminal said:
And of course Athelwulf is completely correct.
Thank you. It's always reassuring to see other people have a brain too. :)

D'ster:

Well lets hear how you would have "framed" the question.

Well, if you want a neutral question which does not presuppose an answer, you could ask: "Should parents ever try to influence their children's sexuality (i.e. to be homo- or hetero-sexual)?"

Of course, this is as uninteresting as your question, even if less biased, since I think most people could predict the responses to this one.

A more basic and interesting question would be "Do you think parents can influence their children to become homosexual?"

This, I think, would attract a more diverse range of responses. You may find the results interesting.

As far as I'm concerned the poll revealed excacty what I thought it would.

It certainly revealed exactly what I thought it would - i.e. nothing much.

D'ster said:
Do you guys think it is OK for parents to try to influence their childern to become homosexual?
Once again, no influence, biological. I was never given the talk or any of that by my parents, and I am inexoribly heterosexual. It didn't start with an influence, it started naturally.

James R said:
A more basic and interesting question would be "Do you think parents can influence their children to become homosexual?"

This, I think, would attract a more diverse range of responses. You may find the results interesting.

They may try, and they'll probably find that children who are influenced will tend to engage more readily in homosexual relationships, but won't find it influences them in choosing their sexual preferences.

D'ster said:
The point is that no one wants there child to be homosexual.
So what? Is that suprising? Do your parents want grandchildren? Not going to happen if you're Gay/Les.

superluminal said:
So what? Is that suprising? Do your parents want grandchildren? Not going to happen if you're Gay/Les.
Did you know that people can create a child without having sex?

The point is that no one wants there child to be homosexual.

That's not true. Many people are very comfortable with the fact that their children are homosexual.

James R said:
That's not true. Many people are very comfortable with the fact that their children are homosexual.
That would be after the fact.

NOBODY is "very comfortable with the" idea of wanting or hoping for others to be a homosexual.

D'ster said:
NOBODY is "very comfortable with the" idea of wanting or hoping for others to be a homosexual.
i will agree with this but i believe it is due to my religious upbringing and the fear of the unknown.

homosexuality has been with us for ages d'ster. it isn't some new fad.

you probably feel like i do, how can a man love another man?

Back