how peaceful is islam ?

DiamondHearts said:
what do you mean by honor killings. Please define it.
i remember watching a special on pakistan and womens rights
the women of pakistan are forbidden to seek divorce from abusive husbands.
those that do live in fear of being killed by their male family members.

where does this stuff come from?
you are correct diamondhearts the teachings of islam forbid honorkillings

leopold99 said:
i remember watching a special on pakistan and womens rights
the women of pakistan are forbidden to seek divorce from abusive husbands.
those that do live in fear of being killed by their male family members.

where does this stuff come from?
you are correct diamondhearts the teachings of islam forbid honorkillings

Divorce is allowed in Pakistani law and Islam guarantees this right for women to divorce at their own descretion.

Some tribals still hold on to ancient customs which are unislamic, and believe punishment for divorce is death. When these people are caught by authorities, they are punished.

Islam is completely against such things, and Pakistanis will also be against these things.

Peace.

QueenTiye said:
Islam is a peaceful religion - born in persecution and war - with the followers being given clear edicts of how to wage war in fairness and how to find peace in time of war.

The fact that the Faith has outlasted the war is in no way the fault of the Prophet Muhammad, nor the fact that most of the people prefer war to Peace. Reading the edicts of Islam one finds that the law is very very clear - and the confusions that we see today are the result of something called "Islamic jurisprudence" - in other words - human tampering.

QT

But what then do we say to those who say that the Quran is perfect, inviolate, untampered-with?

And what then of Mohammed's own actions; the murder of a poetess, the casual pronouncement of death on apostates, the massacre of a tribe of people, the hatred directed at non-muslims, the call to war of Sura 9?

As religions go, Christianity is better. Their saviour didn't kill anyone. That's true peace - pacifism.

Geoff

DiamondHearts said:
What I have understood is people have this false notion that women who get raped are killed, this is completely against the teachings of Islam.

I have already said I disagree with the concept. It's not even a common practice in the Islamic world or any Islamic country.

You might wish to contact Iran, then - they recently strung up a sixteen-year-old who had the temerity to get raped by her uncle.

/sarc

I mean seriously, what a slut. Must have been asking for it.

/sarc off

What about killings which...

Tu tuoque, anyone? I thought we were discussing islam here.

Geoff

geoff
we must remember that the bible tells us to gouge out our eyes if they offend us
i am sure that the quran has equally ridiculous stuff in it.

but about that 16 year old girl, her uncle should have had his dick cut off

Yeah but I don't think anyone was meant to interpret that literally. In any event, you don't see much record of the immediate followers of Jesus running around with eyes gouged out.

Geoff

GeoffP said:
Yeah but I don't think anyone was meant to interpret that literally. In any event, you don't see much record of the immediate followers of Jesus running around with eyes gouged out.

Geoff
i thought i would throw that out there to indicate that christianity is not without flaws
and to a lesser extent to show diamondhearts that it is possible to be a good muslim without following the quran verbatum

I would agree with both those statements. Ditch the supremacy and the absolute obedience and we can find some common ground.

Unfortunately, my expectation of the likelihood of that ever happening ranges between zero and nil.

Geoff

leopold99 said:
geoff
we must remember that the bible tells us to gouge out our eyes if they offend us
i am sure that the quran has equally ridiculous stuff in it.

but about that 16 year old girl, her uncle should have had his dick cut off

If he is guilty of the crime of rape, Islamic law demands execution of the uncle. The girl should not have been killed, if what you say is correct.

GeoffP, please provide a link from an unbiased source, and preferably not Zionist or anti Irani source.

leopold99 said:
i thought i would throw that out there to indicate that christianity is not without flaws
and to a lesser extent to show diamondhearts that it is possible to be a good muslim without following the quran verbatum

I believe Muslims can be good Muslims if they don't follow the Quran exactly. I believe anyone who says and believes kalima, la ilaha ila Allah, Muhammad ar rasool ullah as Muslim.

I believe those who follow Quran and the laws of Allah swt are better Muslims (and better people) than others who don't follow as much.

I believe the only difference between men is in their being loved by Allah swt is how much they struggle to please Him and do actions and have beliefs which He loves for His servants to have.

Muslims believe that it is always better to be more religious and follow the actions of the Rasool Pak Muhammad (s) than not to. We respect those among us who are religious. This is why we are Muslims. We believe in Islam completely.

Peace.

Diamond, It is sad that you resepct people less for having no religion, although I know that is a result of what you have been taught. Can you really not comprehend it is possible to be a a good and virtuous person without having been taught it via religion? Are we without conscience without religion? Is this what you believe?

The reason why every religion has its murdering fanatics, and those that take rules out of context, is that religion in itself does NOT make people good, there is MORE to it than that.

Theoryofrelativity said:
Diamond, It is sad that you resepct people less for having no religion, although I know that is a result of what you have been taught. Can you really not comprehend it is possible to be a a good and virtuous person without having been taught it via religion? Are we without conscience without religion? Is this what you believe?

The reason why every religion has its murdering fanatics, and those that take rules out of context, is that religion in itself does NOT make people good, there is MORE to it than that.

I respect people who do good very much and I encourage good works for every human being.

I believe however that those people who do good works and believe are worthy of more respect. This is directly because of my belief as a Muslim. I believe the best people to have every lived in humanity are the Prophet Muhammad (s), his family, those early Muslims, and the other prophets of Allah swt and their respective followers.

Quran says every doer of good will get his reward from Allah swt and every evil doer will get his punishment from Allah swt. This is a general rule.

Allah swt rules with complete justice, so no one should feel they will be treated wrongly. Allah swt can forgive anyone and admit anyone to Paradise.

In a Hadith, the prophet Muhammad (s) told us of a prostiture who was forgiven all her sins and admitted to Paradise because she gave water to a thirsty dog.

Allah swt can work miracles. Allah swt will bless those who do good and make sure none of their deeds are lost.

Peace.

DiamondHearts said:
I respect people who do good very much and I encourage good works for every human being.

Atheists do a lot of good things, do you respect atheists?

I believe the best people to have every lived in humanity are the Prophet Muhammad (s), his family, those early Muslims, and the other prophets of Allah swt and their respective followers.

Regardless of the fact they were murderers, plunderers and rapists and Muhammad was a tyrrant? Those are the facts.

Quran says every doer of good will get his reward from Allah swt and every evil doer will get his punishment from Allah swt. This is a general rule.

And since, as you have said many times, Allah controls all things, therefore the evil doer is only doing Allah's bidding.

Allah swt rules with complete justice, so no one should feel they will be treated wrongly. Allah swt can forgive anyone and admit anyone to Paradise.

Except of course, the evil doers, which he controls.

Allah swt can work miracles. Allah swt will bless those who do good and make sure none of their deeds are lost.

What miracles has Allah done lately? The creation of the suicide bomber, perhaps? He does control them too, doesn't he?

DiamondHearts said:
GeoffP, please provide a link from an unbiased source, and preferably not Zionist or anti Irani source.

You must be kidding. Your only response is "your sources are Zionist". So even when I post from newspapers?

Well, then...

How about a leftist site?

http://www.activistchat.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3661

Or a Russian one?

http://engforum.pravda.ru/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=155606

Or these one, which detail the planned hanging of two more homosexuals:

http://talkleft.com/new_archives/011849.html

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/8/13/83544/4596

Or other sites, which also discuss the lack of women's rights in Iran:

http://www.womensenews.org/article.cfm/dyn/aid/1619
http://www.feminist.org/news/newsbyte/uswirestory.asp?id=8653

Or how about this one, which provides a range of interesting details on the murder of the girl:

http://www.iranfocus.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=80
Iran Focus

On Sunday, August 15, a 16-year-old girl in the town of Neka, northern Iran, was executed. Ateqeh Sahaleh was hanged in public on Simetry Street off Rah Ahan Street at the city center.

The sentence was issued by the head of Neka’s Justice Department and subsequently upheld by the mullahs’ Supreme Court and carried out with the approval of Judiciary Chief Mahmoud Shahroudi.

In her summary trial, the teenage victim did not have any lawyer and efforts by her family to recruit a lawyer was to no avail. Ateqeh personally defended herself. She told the religious judge, Haji Rezaii, that he should punish the main perpetrators of moral corruption not the victims.

The judge personally pursued Ateqeh’s death sentence, beyond all normal procedures and finally gained the approval of the Supreme Court. After her execution Rezai said her punishment was not execution but he had her executed for her “sharp tongue”.

A follow-up:

http://www.iranfocus.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=137

Violence, poverty and abuse led girl, 16, to gallows
Tue. 31 Aug 2004
Iran Focus

Neka (northern Iran), Aug 31 – The orphaned 16-year-old girl hanged in front of residents in this town close to the Caspian Sea on August 15 suffered years of brutal violence, exploitation and torture in the hands of relatives, local officials and plain strangers, and in a country where girls are the most vulnerable members of society, she had no one to go to for help

She was abused by a close relative,” says Mina, one of the few girls in Neka who identify themselves as Atefeh’s friends. “But she never dared even to talk about it to anyone. Tell your teachers? They’ll call you a whore. Tell the police? They lock you up and rape you. Better keep your mouth shut.

Atefeh had no access to a lawyer at any stage and her death sentence was upheld by a Supreme Court that is dominated by fundamentalist mullahs

The tragically short life of Atefeh Rajabi its brutal end are a reminder of the plight of millions of girls in a country where, according to state-owned newspapers, 75 percent of the population live below the poverty line, 66 percent of women are victims of some form of domestic violence, and over 70 percent of women suffer from varying degrees of depression. Iran remains, in the words of UN Human Rights Rapporteur Maurice Copithorne, “a prison for women.”

Just like islam, maybe? Seriously, I wonder where the mullahs of Iran get these crazy ideas about oppressing women. You don't suppose it could have anything to do with Q 4:34 "and beat them", or Q 4: 11 "half [a male's share] is to be given", or with Mohammed's commentary that most of the denizens of hell are women, do you?

I believe Muslims can be good Muslims if they don't follow the Quran exactly. I believe anyone who says and believes kalima, la ilaha ila Allah, Muhammad ar rasool ullah as Muslim.

Well this is encouraging - how about the killing of apostates etc etc.? Can we dodge on those too and still be good muslims?

I believe those who follow Quran and the laws of Allah swt are better Muslims (and better people) than others who don't follow as much.

I have some news for you: very terrible people often follow Mohammed's laws. They aren't better than others.

I believe the only difference between men is in their being loved by Allah swt is how much they struggle to please Him and do actions and have beliefs which He loves for His servants to have.

Muslims believe that it is always better to be more religious and follow the actions of the Rasool Pak Muhammad (s) than not to. We respect those among us who are religious. This is why we are Muslims. We believe in Islam completely.

Those last bits raise my suspicion level again, of course. The absolutist nature of belief seems to belie the assertion that incomplete adherence is acceptable.

Geoff

DiamondHearts said:
please provide a link from an unbiased source, and preferably not
are you unbiased diamondhearts? are you the average muslim?
are you willing to say islam like all religions has its flaws?

http://www.iranfocus.com/modules/ne....php?storyid=80

You have link from Iran's government about the trial. How do we know if it was a sham trial or not. How do we know she did not kill them for other reasons? Are we to believe only the words of the author of this article who is Anti-Irani himself. Where is the proof for your claim.

leopold99 said:
are you unbiased diamondhearts?

Is there a such thing as a unbiased human being?

What I was saying is most importantly it is better to avoid obviously biased sources for example, some members brings accusations against Islam from Zionism and Christian Evangelist websites. When these accusations are proven false, it unvalidaes the source, for example misquoting, and using one or two phrases of a verse, not even a whole verse, to make a point (for example, look above at the post before yours).

leopold99 said:
are you the average muslim?

There is no such thing as an average Muslim. There are more than a billion Muslims in the world and each of them have different cultures and traditions.

However there are beliefs which the majority of Muslims hold. I am an advocator of Islamic laws and teachings, and Muslims believe in these laws. Otherwise they would not be Muslim.

leopold99 said:
are you willing to say islam like all religions has its flaws?

Islam does not have flaws, Islam is perfect.

If I did not believe this, then I would not be Muslim.

Praise be to Allah swt and Blessings to His Holy Prophet (s).

Peace.

DiamondHearts said:
Islam does not have flaws, Islam is perfect.
bullshit
don't feed me that frikken nonesense diamondhearts

it's obvious that you are about as unbiased as a saturated transistor

DiamondHearts said:
If he is guilty of the crime of rape, Islamic law demands execution of the uncle. The girl should not have been killed, if what you say is correct.

Peace.

http://web.amnesty.org/library/Index/engASA330181999

PAKISTAN

Honour killings of girls and women

Introduction

"The right to life of women in Pakistan is conditional on their obeying social norms and traditions."
Hina Jilani, lawyer and human rights activist

Women in Pakistan live in fear. They face death by shooting, burning or killing with axes if they are deemed to have brought shame on the family. They are killed for supposed 'illicit' relationships, for marrying men of their choice, for divorcing abusive husbands. They are even murdered by their kin if they are raped as they are thereby deemed to have brought shame on their family. The truth of the suspicion does not matter -- merely the allegation is enough to bring dishonour on the family and therefore justifies the slaying.

The lives of millions of women in Pakistan are circumscribed by traditions which enforce extreme seclusion and submission to men. Male relatives virtually own them and punish contraventions of their proprietary control with violence. For the most part, women bear traditional male control over every aspect of their bodies, speech and behaviour with stoicism, as part of their fate, but exposure to media, the work of women's groups and a greater degree of mobility have seen the beginnings of women's rights awareness seep into the secluded world of women. But if women begin to assert their rights, however tentatively, the response is harsh and immediate: the curve of honour killings has risen parallel to the rise in awareness of rights.

Every year hundreds of women are known to die as a result of honour killings. Many more cases go unreported and almost all go unpunished. The isolation and fear of women living under such threats are compounded by state indifference to and complicity in women's oppression. Police almost invariably take the man's side in honour killings or domestic murders, and rarely prosecute the killers. Even when the men are convicted, the judiciary ensures that they usually receive a light sentence, reinforcing the view that men can kill their female relatives with virtual impunity. Specific laws hamper redress as they discriminate against women.

The isolation of women is completed by the almost total absence of anywhere to hide. There are few women's shelters, and any woman attempting to travel on her own is a target for abuse by police, strangers or male relatives hunting for her. For some women suicide appears the only means of escape.

Abuses by private actors such as honour killings are crimes under the country's criminal laws. However, systematic failure by the state to prevent and to investigate them and to punish perpetrators leads to international responsibility of the state. The Government of Pakistan has taken no measures to end honour killings and to hold perpetrators to account. It has failed to train police and judges to be gender neutral and to amend discriminatory laws. It has ignored Article 5 of the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women, which it ratified in 1996, which obliges states to "modify the social and cultural patterns of conduct of men and women" to eliminate prejudice and discriminatory traditions.

Some apologists claim that traditional practices as genuine manifestations of a community's culture may not be subjected to scrutiny from the perspective of rights contained in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Against this, the 1993 World Conference on Human Rights in the Vienna Declaration and Programme of Action stated: "All human rights are universal, indivisible and interdependent and interrelated" and asserted the duty of states "to promote all human rights and fundamental freedoms". The United Nations General Assembly in 1993 adopted the Declaration on the Elimination of Violence against Women which urges states not to "invoke custom, tradition or religious consideration to avoid their obligation" to eliminate discriminatory treatment of women.

While recognizing the importance of cultural diversity, Amnesty International stands resolutely in defence of the universality of human rights, particularly the most fundamental rights to life and freedom from torture and ill-treatment. The role of the state is to ensure the full protection of these rights, where necessary mediating 'tradition' through education and the law.

This report is the fourth in a series issued by Amnesty International on the rights of women in Pakistan; it is the first to look at abuses of women's rights by private actors.

Killings in the name of honour

Ghazala was set on fire by her brother in Joharabad, Punjab province, on 6 January 1999. According to reports, she was murdered because her family suspected she was having an 'illicit' relationship with a neighbour. Her burned and naked body reportedly lay unattended on the street for two hours as nobody wanted to have anything to do with it.

Ghazala was burned to death in the name of honour. Hundreds of other women and girls suffer a similar fate every year amid general public support and little or no action by the authorities. In fact, there is every sign that the number of honour killings is on the rise as the perception of what constitutes honour -- and what damages it -- widens, and as more murders take on the guise of honour killings on the correct assumption that they are rarely punished.

Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of the person.
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 3

Often, honour killings are carried out on the flimsiest of grounds, such as by a man who said he had dreamt that his wife had betrayed him. State institutions -- the law enforcement apparatus and the judiciary -- deal with these crimes against women with extraordinary leniency and the law provides many loopholes for murderers in the name of honour to kill without punishment. As a result, the tradition remains unbroken.

The methods of honour killings vary. In Sindh, a kari (literally a 'black woman') and a karo ('a black man') are hacked to pieces by axe and hatchets, often with the complicity of the community. In Punjab, the killings, usually by shooting, are more often based on individual decisions and carried out in private. In most cases, husbands, fathers or brothers of the woman concerned commit the killings. In some cases, jirgas (tribal councils) decide that the woman should be killed and send men to carry out the deed.

The victims range from pre-pubescent girls to grandmothers. They are usually killed on the mere allegation of having entered 'illicit' sexual relationships. They are never given an opportunity to give their version of the allegation as there is no point in doing so -- the allegation alone is enough to defile a man's honour and therefore enough to justify the killing of the woman.

According to the non-governmental Human Rights Commission of Pakistan (HRCP), 286 women were reported to have been killed for reasons of honour in 1998 in the Punjab alone. The Special Task Force for Sindh of the HRCP received reports of 196 cases of karo-kari killings in Sindh in 1998, involving 255 deaths. The real number of such killings is vastly greater than those reported.

Pakistani women abroad do not escape the threat of honour killings. The Nottingham crown court in the United Kingdom in May 1999 sentenced a Pakistani woman and her grown-up son to life imprisonment for murdering the woman's daughter, Rukhsana Naz, a pregnant mother of two children. Rukhsana was perceived to have brought shame on the family by having a sexual relationship outside marriage. Her brother reportedly strangled Rukhsana, while her mother held her down.

Ownership rights are at stake when women are to be married, almost always in Pakistan by their parents. A major consideration is the property or assets that the young woman has a right to inherit one day. A woman is handed over to her spouse against payment of a bride price to her father; sometimes that bride price includes another woman given to the father as a new wife. Some men accept a low bride price on condition that the as yet unborn daughter of the couple will be returned to them to be married off for another bride price. The commodification of women is also the basis of the tradition of khoon baha (blood money) when a woman is handed over to an adversary to settle a conflict.

Women are seen to embody the honour of the men to whom they 'belong', as such they must guard their virginity and chastity. By being perceived to enter an 'illicit' sexual relationship, a woman defiles the honour of her guardian and his family. She becomes kari and forfeits the right to life.

In most communities there is no other punishment for a kari but death. A man's ability to protect his honour is judged by his family and neighbours. He must publicly demonstrate his power to safeguard his honour by killing those who damaged it and thereby restore it. Honour killings consequently are often performed openly.

"Pakistani women abroad do not escape the threat of honour killings. The Nottingham crown court in the United Kingdom in May 1999 sentenced a Pakistani woman and her grown-up son to life imprisonment for murdering the woman's daughter, Rukhsana Naz, a pregnant mother of two children. Rukhsana was perceived to have brought shame on the family by having a sexual relationship outside marriage. Her brother reportedly strangled Rukhsana, while her mother held her down."

Amnesty international is that unbiased for you, or let me guess that is a jewish hate site to, i am afraid there are mountains of abuses in there archives to many to post here, this is just a small piece of the link.

Diamond you really are living in a dreamland, even in the uk pakistani's reinact these barbaric acts of honour killings, whats there excuse after all there supposed to be in a civilised country, no longer subject to anchient tribal laws.

Diamond you have a real problem with facts & reality, may i suggest you go back to college & further your education on pakistan people.

vincent28uk said:
Diamond you have a real problem with facts & reality, may i suggest you go back to college & further your education on pakistan people.

What are you talking about?

I lived in Pakistan almost all my life, don't tell me that I don't know anything about my country.

Peace.

DiamondHearts said:
What are you talking about?

I lived in Pakistan almost all my life, don't tell me that I don't know anything about my country.

Peace.

If thats the case then you are fully aware of,

http://web.amnesty.org/library/Index/engASA330181999

The isolation of women is completed by the almost total absence of anywhere to hide. There are few women's shelters, and any woman attempting to travel on her own is a target for abuse by police, strangers or male relatives hunting for her. For some women suicide appears the only means of escape.

Abuses by private actors such as honour killings are crimes under the country's criminal laws. However, systematic failure by the state to prevent and to investigate them and to punish perpetrators leads to international responsibility of the state. The Government of Pakistan has taken no measures to end honour killings and to hold perpetrators to account. It has failed to train police and judges to be gender neutral and to amend discriminatory laws. It has ignored Article 5 of the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women,

"The Government of Pakistan has taken no measures to end honour killings and to hold perpetrators to account"

Pakistan is a disgracefull country which mocks all womens rights, dont defend the impossible, even your government is in denial & fails to defend women even if they are murdered.

What is a women in pakistan, a piece of meat to pass around, then put in the trash, when its past its sell by date?

I state facts not propagander, amnesty international puts my case forward, what is your defence?

vincent28uk said:
"The Government of Pakistan has taken no measures to end honour killings and to hold perpetrators to account"

Not true. Those who murder the victims are subject to punishment under Pakistani law. Honor killings isnt as common as you make it seem. It occurs in isolated tribal areas. When it happens with government knowledge, the government prosecutes them for this crime.

vincent28uk said:
Pakistan is a disgracefull country which mocks all womens rights, dont defend the impossible, even your government is in denial & fails to defend women even if they are murdered.

What are you talking about? In Pakistani society, women hold many jobs in parliament and are often involved in the events of the country. Women do not take as much as an active rule as in Western society, but this is no reason to denounce the country. I agree that there are women rights abuses by some Pakistanis, but that goes for Westerners as well. These cases do not describe the overall situation in my country at all. I love my country. Pakistan is a great country which respects the rights of its minorities and its women.

vincent28uk said:
What is a women in pakistan, a piece of meat to pass around, then put in the trash, when its past its sell by date?

No, not at all. Women are respected in Pakistani people. The Pakistani men have a great debt to the women in our country. They are our mothers, sisters, wives, cousins, aunts, grandmothers. How can we disrespect them?

One of the greatest heroes of Pakistan is Fatima Ali Jinnah, the sister of beloved Qaud e Azm Muhamad Ali Jinnah. Allah swt give them peace.

vincent28uk said:
I state facts not propagander, amnesty international puts my case forward, what is your defence?

My defence is I am Pakistani, have lived in Pakistan, and know situation in Pakistan thoroughly.

Vincent, you have made it clear before that you don't like Pakistanis so it should be obvious for the readers that you will try to do anything to defame Pakistan.

Pakistan is not perfect, we have our problems (not every Pakistani is a good person, but that goes for all countries), but it is my country and I love it.

Pakistan Zindabad

Peace.

Back