Holy texts should be respected by scholars

wsionynw said:
I agree, but you must undersatand that animals fight for feeding territory and breeding rights as a means of basic survival and the instinct to reproduce (I. Humans have this also, but we have distanced ourselves from our wild roots in many ways.

Why? don't we protect our homes, our country?

I don't think religion is to blame for all greed (apart from televangalists), I just think organised religion does more harm than good because it promotes fear, hate and irrational beliefs.

Do you mean to say that all people in the world ( except the 14% atheists) are afraid hateful and irrational?

samcdkey said:
Why? don't we protect our homes, our country?

Do you mean to say that all people in the world ( except the 14% atheists) are afraid hateful and irrational?

What's your point, are you trying to distance humans from animals or show their similarities? To what effect?

No, I didn't say all religious people are full of hate and fear, etc, but their belief in God(s) is irrational. In the same way people that fear Friday 13th have an irrational fear of that day.

wsionynw said:
What's your point, are you trying to distance humans from animals or show their similarities? To what effect?

I'm debating the claim that power and greed in humans is caused by religion

No, I didn't say all religious people are full of hate and fear, etc, but their belief in God(s) is irrational. In the same way people that fear Friday 13th have an irrational fear of that day.

So, 86% of the world is irrational?

samcdkey said:
I'm debating the claim that power and greed in humans is caused by religion

Their belief in God(s) is irrational. They might be perfectly rational in others ways, in fact I'm sure most of them are. If you truely believe in God, be you Christian, Muslim, Jew, whatever, then what difference does it make to you if there are millions who believe as you do, or just you on your own?

samcdkey said:
Religious thinking is, in one sense, a rational response to our fear of death - a way of cheating our inevitable demise. But it's irrational in that there's no evidence to support the belief system that this fear has produced.

So, yes, I'd say that most people are fearful and irrational.

wsionynw said:
Their belief in God(s) is irrational. They might be perfectly rational in others ways, in fact I'm sure most of them are. If you truely believe in God, be you Christian, Muslim, Jew, whatever, then what difference does it make to you if there are millions who believe as you do, or just you on your own?

redarmy11 said:
Religious thinking is, in one sense, a rational response to our fear of death - a way of cheating our inevitable demise. But it's irrational in that there's no evidence to support the belief system that this fear has produced.

So, yes, I'd say that most people are fearful and irrational.

May God have mercy on your souls :D

Last edited:
samcdkey said:
Yup, just saying that violence for power is not exclusive to humans; you must be aware of the territorial fights seen among male animals, right? Most male animals, domesticated or wild, mark their territory, to declare sovereignty over it. They fight bitterly to keep it and also fight to extend it. This is also a fight for resources but it proves that the instinct for territory and for hunting are inbred in all mammals. Just saying that religion causes power and greed is ridicuous. A brief study of the animal kingdom will tell you that power struggles are about resources and survival. They are instinctive.

Powerful words from a Muslim. Allah should have struck you dead by now for such utterences. Perhaps you're a wannabee Muslim? Nonetheless...

You are a confused little theist. From the link you never read:

"Faith in the existence of god was useful to the primitive man. It satisfied his curiosity. He thought that all things and events were god's creations and dispensations. Surrender to god satisfied his slave mind. As the concept of god was fashioned after human form, god was attributed the human qualities of righteousness, love and mercy. Obedience to a righteous god, however imaginary, served him at that stage to establish moral conduct in social groups. Faith in a god of love and mercy kept up hope amid troubles. Further, worship of god with song, dance and ritual satisfied man's aesthetic cravings. Thus the concept of god answered the several needs of the primitive man in a primitive way. And man stuck to god with intense faith.

Along with god, man fancied the existence of soul as a detachable part of the body. Dreams were supposed to be soul's rambles in strange lands during man's sleep and death as its permanent escape from the body. Imagination of the existence of other-worlds, like heaven and hell, and of rebirth, followed the need to provide disembodied souls with a habitation. Faith in the existence of soul and ancestral worship dispelled man's fear of death.

Belief in the existence of god and of soul and the influence of the belief on man's conduct constituted religion. And the essence of religion was man's surrender to god. Therefore, in terms of god (theos), which was the first one to which man surrendered, the attitude of surrender has come to be known as 'theism'.

Religion was the early phase of the attitude of surrender. Surrender absolved man of the sense of responsibility and afforded him the security and tranquility of a caged bird. Within the quietude of religious belief, theists started thinking and grew rational. So the analogical method of understanding yielded place to the advanced ways of causal logic and epistemological inquiry. Consequently, the concept of god gradually changed from the primitive fetish to a metaphysical notion of 'being and becoming.' The noisy ritual, blood sacrifices and ancestral worship of early religious belief were replaced by the silent meditation of later religion."

(Q) said:
Powerful words from a Muslim. Allah should have struck you dead by now for such utterences. Perhaps you're a wannabee Muslim? Nonetheless...

I'm sure this makes perfect sense to you.

You are a confused little theist.

I'm a big girl

From the link you never read:

"Faith in the existence of god was useful to the primitive man. It satisfied his curiosity. He thought that all things and events were god's creations and dispensations. Surrender to god satisfied his slave mind. As the concept of god was fashioned after human form, god was attributed the human qualities of righteousness, love and mercy. Obedience to a righteous god, however imaginary, served him at that stage to establish moral conduct in social groups. Faith in a god of love and mercy kept up hope amid troubles. Further, worship of god with song, dance and ritual satisfied man's aesthetic cravings. Thus the concept of god answered the several needs of the primitive man in a primitive way. And man stuck to god with intense faith.

Along with god, man fancied the existence of soul as a detachable part of the body. Dreams were supposed to be soul's rambles in strange lands during man's sleep and death as its permanent escape from the body. Imagination of the existence of other-worlds, like heaven and hell, and of rebirth, followed the need to provide disembodied souls with a habitation. Faith in the existence of soul and ancestral worship dispelled man's fear of death.

Belief in the existence of god and of soul and the influence of the belief on man's conduct constituted religion. And the essence of religion was man's surrender to god. Therefore, in terms of god (theos), which was the first one to which man surrendered, the attitude of surrender has come to be known as 'theism'.

Religion was the early phase of the attitude of surrender. Surrender absolved man of the sense of responsibility and afforded him the security and tranquility of a caged bird. Within the quietude of religious belief, theists started thinking and grew rational. So the analogical method of understanding yielded place to the advanced ways of causal logic and epistemological inquiry. Consequently, the concept of god gradually changed from the primitive fetish to a metaphysical notion of 'being and becoming.' The noisy ritual, blood sacrifices and ancestral worship of early religious belief were replaced by the silent meditation of later religion."

I read it.
Total hogwash! This guy is a wannabe fiction writer; obviously never read the Quran.

Q:

So you did not tell me, do you still believe that power and greed is due to religion?

samcdkey said:
I'm a big girl

Like, BIG big, or just big big?

obviously never read the Quran.

Bwahahaha! Nice comeback.
laugh2.gif

samcdkey said:
So you did not tell me, do you still believe that power and greed is due to religion?

Of course, power and greed is due to Allah.

(Q) said:
Of course, power and greed is due to Allah.

O ye of little faith! Of course all things are from Allah (SWT); he sends you challenges to make you stronger. You will get through this. I shall pray for you.

samcdkey said:
O ye of little faith! Of course all things are from Allah (SWT); he sends you challenges to make you stronger.

Yes, what are we to do about those 17,000 children who die of starvation each day? That's quite the challenge he's sent us. Will he keep increasing the count until we fix it or will he just stop one day and start feeding them himself?

O ye of misplaced faith!

I shall pray for you.

And to honor that wonderful gesture, I shall not pray for you.

(Q) said:
Yes, what are we to do about those 17,000 children who die of starvation each day? That's quite the challenge he's sent us. Will he keep increasing the count until we fix it or will he just stop one day and start feeding them himself?

O ye of misplaced faith!

And to honor that wonderful gesture, I shall not pray for you.

In Islam, if you have, you MUST give. All muslims give 2% of their discretionary income ( over and above that which they need for their personal needs and business) in charity. If you are eating and someone passes by or visits, you MUST offer them a meal. If you know someone in your neighborhood who is poor and has financial difficulties, you MUST help them. It does not matter what religion they belong to.

The example is given of Abraham; after he became a monotheist, he used to share every meal with someone. One day he could not find anyone, so he went out to look for someone to share the meal with. He came upon an old man in the desert and invited him. As they were walking, Abraham asked him, "do you believe in God?" The man said "No, I am an atheist". Abraham turned away in disgust. He had only walked two steps when God called to him, "O Abraham! We tolerated him for seventy years and you could not tolerate him for seven minutes?" Abraham realized his error and went back to the man.

You have probably never visited a Muslim country. It is commonplace to help people in need. If you go to any mosque, you will find well-to-do people distributing food and clothes regularly. In Ramadan, when all are fasting, huge parties are organized for breaking the fast for the poor people in the community. All Muslims and non-Muslims join in. There is no division due to religion. This is ( or should be ) true in all Muslim countries. It is certainly true in Saudi Arabia as well.

In addition, when you have a happy occasion at home like a birth or a wedding and even for funerals, you must feed as many poor people as you can afford to.

samcdkey said:
In Islam, if you have, you MUST give. All muslims give 2% of their discretionary income ( over and above that which they need for their personal needs and business) in charity. If you are eating and someone passes by or visits, you MUST offer them a meal. If you know someone in your neighborhood who is poor and has financial difficulties, you MUST help them. It does not matter what religion they belong to.

Then, clearly there shouldn't be a single starving Muslim child, or any child living in an Islamic state? Are they fed with propaganda too?

You have probably never visited a Muslim country.

How very incorrect of you.

It is commonplace to help people in need. If you go to any mosque, you will find well-to-do people distributing food and clothes regularly. In Ramadan, when all are fasting, huge parties are organized for breaking the fast for the poor people in the community.

It is commonplace without religion too.

In addition, when you have a happy occasion at home like a birth or a wedding and even for funerals, you must feed as many poor people as you can afford to.

All very nice, but hardly anything we'd have to learn through religion.

Getting back to the starving children, many of them Muslim, I might add, does Allah watch each one die an agonizing death? How does that make us stronger, as a challenge?

(Q) said:
Then, clearly there shouldn't be a single starving Muslim child, or any child living in an Islamic state? Are they fed with propaganda too?

If there are, it is wrong wrong wrong.

No buts about it.

How very incorrect of you.

Which one ( or is that classified too?)

It is commonplace without religion too.

I can only speak what I know about.

All very nice, but hardly anything we'd have to learn through religion.

Quite right.

Getting back to the starving children, many of them Muslim, I might add, does Allah watch each one die an agonizing death? How does that make us stronger, as a challenge?

Why do we fast 30 days in Ramadan? To know what hunger and thirst is.

I do what I can, but I know its not enough. I wish I could do more.

We all should; if we spent all the money we do for war in feeding the children, there would be more than enough. Human beings are selfish; and nowadays, they have lost sight of what is imporatnt in life.

You are right about the children. We should help them; it is our responsibility as human beings. What can I say? There are no easy answers.

Back