Holy texts should be respected by scholars

Well its still the small percent of people in power who decide what the majority should do.

Most certainly, but I would rather that small percent focus their efforts on health and education than space fairies.

SnakeLord said:
Most certainly, but I would rather that small percent focus their efforts on health and education than space fairies.

Unfortunately, its not the space fairies you need to be concerned about, as much as greed and the struggle for power

samcdkey said:
Unfortunately, its not the space fairies you need to be concerned about, as much as greed and the struggle for power

It is when the space fairies are elected to office.

If SnakeLord or anybody else here reckons to know how to do better, maybe they'd do better to have a go at it.

--- Ron.

perplexity said:
It is when the space fairies are elected to office.

If SnakeLord or anybody else here reckons to know how to do better, maybe they'd do better to have a go at it.

--- Ron.

But do you think religion makes a difference to a greedy or power hungry man; in my opinion, there's plenty of excuses where that came from.

samcdkey said:
But do you think religion makes a difference to a greedy or power hungry man; in my opinion, there's plenty of excuses where that came from.

Religion can make a difference - that's why there is a whole thing about formal receptions - like whatever humility, charity or good being a person can muster they are encouraged to come before god with that and by the process of investing that in bonafide religious practices those qualities increase. The victory of the modern age although is that people have no idea what is bonafide religion (how many arguments against religion do you face in forums like these which use the worst example as a basis for definition) nor the qualities of a bonafide practioner, so they inevitable make bad investments of whatever they can muster and sour their endeavour for spiritual life.

lightgigantic said:
Religion can make a difference - that's why there is a whole thing about formal receptions - like whatever humility, charity or good being a person can muster they are encouraged to come before god with that and by the process of investing that in bonafide religious practices those qualities increase. The victory of the modern age although is that people have no idea what is bonafide religion (how many arguments against religion do you face in forums like these which use the worst example as a basis for definition) nor the qualities of a bonafide practioner, so they inevitable make bad investments of whatever they can muster and sour their endeavour for spiritual life.

Yes but the majority of people in the world do not lead these spiritually decrepit lives; its just that the media is focused on the sensational, the repugnant and the scandalous. The everyday ordinary seems invisible.

Unfortunately it's not really upto you to tell me what I need to be concerned about.

I tried, but unfortunately there's a very long waiting list.

samcdkey said:

The power is an illusion anyway.

The creation of money rules the World.

SnakeLord said:
I tried, but unfortunately there's a very long waiting list.

So did I.

It was the sense of sheer embarassment that put me off.

--- Ron.

SnakeLord said:
Unfortunately it's not really upto you to tell me what I need to be concerned about.

My mistake; I thought we were trying to explore the problem.

perplexity said:
The power is an illusion anyway.

The creation of money rules the World.
--- Ron.

Yes the power is an illusion; but its a very powerful illusion.

Its the direct cause of all the misery in the world today.

samcdkey said:
Yes the power is an illusion; but its a very powerful illusion.
Its the direct cause of all the misery in the world today.

That is a relief then.

They'd almost had me thinking that I was direct cause of all the misery in the world today.

--- Ron.

perplexity said:
That is a relief then.

They'd almost had me thinking that I was direct cause of all the misery in the world today.

--- Ron.

Hmm I didn't consider that...you might not want to be complacent so soon.

SnakeLord said:
"Exploring problems" equates to you telling me what I need to do or not do? Bizarre.

Like I said my mistake; it was not intended to be projected as such.

samcdkey said:

Those who lack the capacity to achieve much in an atmosphere of freedom will clamor for power.
-Eric Hoffer

So, which do you think there are more of, greedy and power-hungry theists or atheists?

Is there a trend that sees secular nations having less greedy and power-hungry individuals/groups then more religious states?

What nations sport the most dictators, religious or secular?

Could it be that space fairies have some influence here?

samcdkey said:
I wish you all the best.

Didn't read the article? Too bad, it argues greed and power are the result of religious thought processes over some of mankinds evolution. Had mankind not embraced religion, we might have evolved an entirely different society, devoid of greedy and power-hungry people.

(Q) said:
Didn't read the article? Too bad, it argues greed and power are the result of religious thought processes over some of mankinds evolution. Had mankind not embraced religion, we might have evolved an entirely different society, devoid of greedy and power-hungry people.

I skimmed through it, I'll read it later, I MUST finish my research proposal today.

It sounds nice, but everything does in theory; I know what you think of religion so I'm not going to flog a dead horse, but if you look at the complete history of the world, no matter what the religion, people have always struggled for power. I don't see how taking away religion will change that.

Anyway, that's all. I apologise if I hurt your feelings. It was not intentional.

Last edited:
Back