God...who believes?

Do you believe a God/Gods/Higher Being exists?

• Total voters
Not at all. Why do you think so ?

cause i don't like religion. the secular world is repressive too, but it seems a religious upbringing is even more repressive. i hate conformity. being spoonfed religion is not fun. kids need to be free to be who they are and to discover god and life in a fun and liberating way. i hate what we do to kids.

Ah, well, we are indoctrinated simply living in society. Indoctrination can be a good thing.

Luckily they were honest. And they answered my questions and criticisms about God and the bible honestly. Church and school wouldn't.

Luckily they were honest. And they answered my questions and criticisms about God and the bible honestly. Church and school wouldn't.

I think the value in religion lies in the culture, instead of whether or not it is real. Even though I am an atheist I am not sure if I want society to move towards atheism.

And scripture is the product of the institutions.

no it's not. the scripture is independent, and was there prior to the institutions. the institutions claim to be founded upon scripture, but it makes no sense. the institution itself is entirely contradictory to the very scripture it claims to be founded upon! sheesh! :rolleyes:

cause i don't like religion. the secular world is repressive too, but it seems a religious upbringing is even more repressive. i hate conformity. being spoonfed religion is not fun. kids need to be free to be who they are and to discover god and life in a fun and liberating way. i hate what we do to kids.

So I'm pitiful because you don't like religion ? I don't follow.
Besides, I'm not religious..

I think the value in religion lies in the culture, instead of whether or not it is real. Even though I am an atheist I am not sure if I want society to move towards atheism.

You answered 'other' in that poll recently, instead of 'atheist'.
Culture is not dependant on religion or belief in God.
You can be a good person without being taught about God or religion, and without believing in either.

the millenial kindgom of christ silly. restored communion, eternal life...
And you are it ? I'm confused..

those born into it with perfected blood, like that of christ (without sin).
Perfected blood ? Are you talking about eugenics ?
And Christ wasn't without sin.. he apparently killed people and turned them into animals out of spite.

So I'm pitiful because you don't like religion ? I don't follow.
Besides, I'm not religious..

well, i don't mean to say you're pitiful, i just don't equate religious oppression of children a happy thing.

sorry...no offense man.

secular society does it to them (us) too, just involving different ideologies.

You answered 'other' in that poll recently, instead of 'atheist'.
That is because I am an agnostic atheist, and it depends on what "God" means

Culture is not dependant on religion or belief in God.
Oh I agree, but religion still plays quite a role in culture. Most holidays and attitudes today were shaped by religion

You can be a good person without being taught about God or religion, and without believing in either.

Well, morality has no merit without god. I mean, you can believe in the tooth fairy and be an atheist too...but that's kind of betraying reason.

well, i don't mean to say you're pitiful, i just don't equate religious oppression of children a happy thing.

sorry...no offense man.

secular society does it to them (us) too, just involving different ideologies.

I don't follow any ideology other then my own, and I'm not even clear on what my own ideologies are.

And you are it ? I'm confused..

i'll be part of it.

Perfected blood ? Are you talking about eugenics ?

i had to look that word up. sin is a birth defect. it's inherent in our flesh. it causes death and a loss of communion with god. when this defect is removed (somehow), then communion will be restored and we will live forever.

That is because I am an agnostic atheist, and it depends on what "God" means
So what? That's being an atheist too. Most atheists here are agnostic atheists.

Oh I agree, but religion still plays quite a role in culture. Most holidays and attitudes today were shaped by religion
So what?

Well, morality has no merit without god. I mean, you can believe in the tooth fairy and be an atheist too...but that's kind of betraying reason.
Huh? Bullshit.

I don't follow any ideology other then my own, and I'm not even clear on what my own ideologies are.

good. but i unfortunately dare say that's not stopped many from trying to shove theirs down your throat.

So what? That's being an atheist too. Most atheists here are agnostic atheists.
Then ok I should've voted atheist.

So...what happens without religion? I'm not saying you can't have culture but religion is a good mechanism for not only having culture, but giving it value and giving people common ground within a certain society because all of their values stem from one source

Huh? Bullshit.

I'm saying morality is as nonsensical as gods, and that's true.

i had to look that word up. sin is a birth defect. it's inherent in our flesh.
So sin is genetic.. how do you propose to remove it ?

it causes death and a loss of communion with god.
Death is good. Loss of communion with god.. well.. I don't have it in the first place, so..

when this defect is removed (somehow), then communion will be restored and we will live forever.
What do you mean 'somehow' ?
Could you please further explain this 'communion with God' ?

So...what happens without religion? I'm not saying you can't have culture but religion is a good mechanism for not only having culture, but giving it value and giving people common ground within a certain society because all of their values stem from one source
What happens without religion ??
What, you think the world would become a hellhole without religion ? :roflmao:
Look around you Norse. Look at the good religion does.
Now look at countries that have a high percentage of atheists.. I think I'm moving to Sweden.

I'm saying morality is as nonsensical as gods, and that's true.
That's utter nonsense. Morality doesn't stem from religion anyway.

Back