Duty to Convert

Do you feel a duty to convert people to your beliefs?

• Yes. It is my duty to try to convert everybody to my religion.

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • Yes, and it's more important to convert atheists than people of other religions.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Yes, and it's more important to convert people from other religions than to convert atheists.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. Although I have religious beliefs, I don't need to try to convert anybody else.

Votes: 25 24.8%
  • Yes. I feel a duty to convert the religious to atheism/agnostism.

Votes: 15 14.9%
  • No. Although I am an atheist/agnostic, I don't feel a duty to convert anybody.

Votes: 51 50.5%

• Total voters
Nebuchadnezzaar wrote: I think a person can only find true religion and/or faith when it comes from within, not when it's being forced upon them.

You are so right, about the knowing coming from within. However, as for a "true religion," methinks there is no such thing. Things are too uncertain and confusing and man is too vulnerable and flawed to know too much. Knowing that God is, however, is beyond description.

Did you take that name from Daniel, and why? PMT

JCARL: I was wondering how things are going, because it has been some time since my last post. I do not do this as a rule, but as you are so young, I am hoping I did not offend you too much. :) Best wishes. ... pmt

Appreciate the concern PMT. I had intended to write something back, but have suffered from severe laziness(hey it was Spring Break). Sorry.

P. M. Thorne said:
………….It seems to me that if you follow Christ’s teachings judgment would not be a problem. What you infer is much like studying what you need to -to pass a test. Whereas, if one learns their material entirely, it is likely that he will pass any test on that subject.[/B]

Indeed, but what I meant was that I need to be constantly made aware of this, lest I should backslide. It's just one of those things I do as a sapling Christian. "Learning the material" is what is accomplished by studying. I don't have the capacity to put into practice a close Christian walk all at one time, so I must do it gradually. This is my version of studying I guess.

[Quoet] Excuse me. If one does what needs to be done, and learns what he needs to learn, what more is there, except superstition and fear?[/Quote]

Here's the thing though: what needs to be done is never finished(this side of heaven at least). It's a lifetime task. We are commanded by Christ to preach the Gospel in all parts of Earth. If I am doing what I need to be doing, then I am never satisfied. If I am learning what I need to learn, I ought not be satisfied with where my spiritual knowledge is, lest I should quench the Spirit and fall complacent.

.I do not know what God’s purpose is for your life in full. We each have things in our lives to overcome, and goals to fulfill, but I can tell you this: We are taught to be moderate in all things,

In earthly, material things yes this is true. In spiritual things, then no. However I don't think that's[Spiritual things] is what you were talking about; just wanted to throw that in.

to love others as we love ourselves and to love God with all our hearts. We are taught not to condemn and not to judge. We are taught to live a life that bears fruit, (or less metaphorically, to bring results). We are taught to have an attitude of prayer, without praying for man to hear, so he will think well of us. These are some of the things we are to do. We are also to aim to have the mind of God. As God is omnipresent and omnipotent, that is a big order.

.A great way to be respected and sufficiently wise, to put you beyond your years. It reminds me of the comment, “Let no man despise your youth.” Good job.

Thanks.

JCARL: Again, my comment was: All that He asks of us is for our benefit, and why? When one serves himself well, he serves others well.

.........(I) I mean we cannot give what we do not have to give. When we have peace, we know the way of peace. When we have love, we know how to give love. When we have joy, our joy begets joy.
........(II) When we have knowledge, we can, with growth and discipline, learn how to own it. When we own it, it is truth to us. Truth begets wisdom. (There is no wisdom without truth.) When we grow in wisdom and truth, the behavior that follows will reflect that truth, and what better way to deal with man than to let him know that we are real in thought, intent, and behavior?

Sounds reasonable enough. Thanks for the clarification.

……………I say Christ has shown us the way, and you ask if there is nothing beyond that. Beyond what? And how did that passage from the gospel of John become a matter of question? You have lost me

It seemed to me--and I maybe wrong--like you were saying that the Jesus was just some big "arrow" to God. In a way He is, but is also infinitely more than that. when you said that," Christ came to show us the way," and left it at that, then that seemed to minimize what Christ did, specifically at the cross. There has to be more to what he did than just to point us in the right direction. He is the only road to get to God. He isn't simply a light to show us the road. That's where I brought up John 15:13. If He only showed us the way, then it seems like the cross was only a personification of that verse. My point was that there must something concrete to the cross. Indeed the cross is a personification of John 15:13, but it doesn't stop there. But the cross must go beyond abstract symbolism. Without the cross we have no shot at salvation. We are still in our sins and have no hope.

…………
……?? What has that to do with calling Jesus a “ticket?”

No the verse was in response to "what a narrow point of view."

A ticket must be purchased by someone. No one purchased Jesus; he was the purchaser.

Ah indeed. He is also the ticket in that He is the only way into Heaven. But we also must accept this gift within ourselves to accept this ticket. In that sense we are the purchaser.

…Is that not—according to your own beliefs—salvation?

Yes it is, but it isn't a plan of salvation as such. A plan is a process. Salvation isn't a process, but is rather once it(accepting within ones heart that Christ is the substitute for ones sin) has been done, it is permanent. There are no steps, no rituals, none as far as salvation is concerned.

JCARL: Again religion is ritual; Christianity is a relationship with God. Religion requires, makes it a neccessity that one do certain things, participate in certain ceremonies in order to be saved. These rituals might be fine and even biblical, but are not essential to one's salvation, If you became a Christian now and died before you could get baptized, you're still saved. Christianity involves a relationship with Christ that requires only one's full heart.

……………You are talking out of both sides of your mouth. Rest easier, religion was defined before you entered this planet in a human body. Do not be afraid of the word. That kind of double talk makes you sound superstitious, like, “Oh do not call it religion; but then again it is like religion, but it is not.” What?

Ok, lets start back at square one. One is saved through faith that Christ is one's substitute(as stated earlier). By faith, not of works, rituals, or anything like that, but by faith alone. That is salvation. Now this where/why I say Christianity isn't a religion. Religion requires works for salvation. It makes it neccessary to one's salvation to participate in these rituals. If you don't do these rituals, then you aren't saved. That what religion tells you. Christianity, at its truest core--forget all denominational stuff and whatnot--says you don't need rituals in order to be saved. "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God. Not by works, lest any man should boast."-Eph. 2:8-9.

With that being said, works are left for afterwards, after one has become saved. Baptism, sacraments, whatever are public professions of faith, but not faith. They are symbols really. As such they are not essential to ones eternal life.

JCARL: How have I made Christianity to be one of superstition and fear? Look at what I said about Heaven and Hell earlier concerning rewards. It's there but it isn't our only motivation. Remember God judges the heart, and knows when one is doing it out of fear or anyother reason other than true, heart-felt acceptance.

……………Huh oh! I did not say that you had made Christianity anything. Christianity was plagued with superstition[/b][/Quote]

Ok
but you make Christianity sound like a religion based upon superstition and fear.
How have I made Christianity sound like it is based upon superstition and fear?

[Qupte] Also, why are you telling me to remember that God judges the heart, and knows when one is doing whatever out of fear or for another reason other than heart-felt acceptance.[/Quote]

Whenever religion's rituals come up, there is always the chance, perhaps a likelihood, that we are doing them for reasons other than being submissive to God. God knows when this is happening and will deal with us accordingly.

I have no fear of losing God’s grace.

If one is saved then indeed you have a right to have no fear. Hence the term grace right?;)

Further, I do not favor the term “heart-felt acceptance.” Just what is that?

Belief in one's heart. It's faith within ones heart that goes beyond intellectual acceptance. See James 2:19;"You believe that there is One God. Good--even the demons believe, and tremble." Heart-felt acceptance is full hearted belief. Does that clear the water a bit?

I prefer, doing what I do because I love to do it. I love to do it, I am thinking this is because, I have an educated conscience; I am intuitive (own the knowledge that motivates me), and have a genuine love for God and his creation, including man.

Great. Glad to hear it. "do all to the glory of God."-1 Cor. 10:31[just wanted to throw that out.]

The dangers of this world, of this life, the destructive, altering influences. The greed for fame and fortune, and other paralyzing propaganda that would keep us from our purpose. The truth set us free. Free of what? Free of things that would deceive us, because they only seem true.

Is that all? Is that the only thing Christ gives us?

.Woe! I knew what you were meaning. I was just saying to be careful how you word things. I cannot stress enough how important it is to not leave yourself wide open like that, especially on this forum, okay?

No problem.

No, I do not! You tell me!

Churches have clothed those who have none. Churches have helped people overcome their addictions of all things. Churches have given food to untold numbers. But more than that, for we feed and clothe not only physically, but also spiritually. The Church has shown people that Jesus is the way, the truth, and the light. They have been give hope for something better, something better than canned food or used clothes. They have been shown the way to eternal life. That is what the Churches have done.

Here is what I have personally witnessed, and have also heard from more folks than I could begin to mention: Churches will take in a wretch who has beat his wife/******** her husband, strangled the cat, kicked the kids, over indulged in drink and drugs, and has never done much of anything worthwhile in his/her life. Then every meeting, one member or another of his/her family will testify of their former pusillanimous attitudes, lascivious ways, and former specious existence. Everyone will amen, and accept these folks into the fold, where their former atrocities become their banner. However, let one of their own err, and God help them!

Where's the repentance; where's the asking for forgiveness? Where's the turning away from the things past?

…..I have lived a long time, and have seen this play out over and over and over, until it made want to spit up. Instead of leaving their former lives, such redeemed bunglers take it with them right into the pews, where the converters rejoice, and listen again and again to how wicked they once were.

That's not a real church. that's an organization that condones wrong doing and asks for nothing in terms of repentance.

…………Now, back to any steady, otherwise reliable member that erred. …Hmm, please go to another church in the future. You are spotted/soiled with your sins now and have brought/are bringing reproach on the church; so go away. We are all pure here. Oh yeah, because no one dares admit a fault lest it is never laid to rest. Let us not only fool one another, but let us see if we cannot fool God as well. Maybe this happens, not in your church. I hope not, but I can tell you: The saying that “The Christian Army is the only army that kills its wounded,” is not far off.

What kind of church is this?! This sounds like an insane assylum who haven't read up on forgiveness and basic Christian living.

……Telling them you love them is the answer, my friend. They will figure the other out. Do you think other people are so stupid that they have not heard about Christ? With all the doorknockers and in-your-face born-agains, and all the prejudice toward Christianity folks have gathered, your words would be as pearls before swine. However, if you tell them you love them, that is the gospel of Christ. Further, it is only with a great deal of difficulty that one opposed to Christians and all they seemingly stand for, can harden his heart against unfeigned love.

Indeed that is necessary, but I think I should first tell them of friend who loved them more than I could ever imagine loving them. I'll tell them I love them, but I will more importantly show them that there is Someone who loved them so much that He gave His life for them. My love is important, no doubt, but Christ's love is infinitely more important.

JCARL: To take it a step further, it shows you how to serve God and man.

……………Loving is serving God and man, dear heart.

Indeed. One is to serve God, in one aspect, by serving one's fellow men.

May I AGAIN quote: “Beloved now are we the sons of God…” Surely, you are familiar with, “just as if we had never sinned.”

We are justified by God. We are made right with God.

Paul says that we still sin but that sin cannot have dominion over us. In any event, we are no longer in a state of “fallen.” We are God’s children, but we are flawed; we do sin, but sin is now nothing but doing things which do not serve us well.

Sin is just as real and just as dangerous as it was before Christ. When we become saved sin no longer has dominion over us, indeed, but we are to become conformed by being submissive to Christ. This is where the recognizing sin and asking forgiveness comes into play.

I really believe it to be a fault in much of Christendom to not see themselves in the new creation, but to constantly beat themselves for being human. [/B][/Quote]

We are human, we're just recognizing that fact. And we are called to conform and submit to Christ. This involves confessing sin and turning away from it.

That is nonsense. To press toward the mark, as Paul says, but until we are taken from this world, there will be problems. It is, therefore, not our task to avoid them, but to deal with them, and grow in the grace wherein we stand. Do you agree?

Absolutely.

…………..
Yipee! The words in italics are Apostle Paul’s; the words in golden yellow are Spinoza’s, after he had offered that quote from Paul. Some day, you may like Spinoza. He is mostly ignored, and definitely misunderstood by Christians.

Let's just make sure that we use God's Word to deduce what is avoidable and acceptable. Rom. 14 specifically.

That is beautiful, JCarl.

Thanks.

……When do you tell them they are going to hell?

If or when they reject Christ. Jude 22-23.

JCARL: True Christians cry seek to show the world that there is a way out of the suffering that is of this world. The way out of this world's suffering is from something that is not of this world, Christ.

………….I would have said something similar at your age, but years of living and observing tell me that “Christians,” true or not, need to shut up. They are doing more harm that good, except possibly within the churches, and even there they fall asleep. It seems the only thing that will keep their attention for long, and I am generalizing here, is to feel superior.

That is a very big generalization, one I don't particularly agree with. I think you recognize that.

It is, I think, this feeling of “knowing” that make them smile all the time as though they have not sense enough to do anything else.

Knowing ought to move people to do more for God.

>>
>>>>>>I may be angering your young heart, and I apologize if I am, but you are an extraordinary young man.

You're not angering me, just getting me revved up in the debate.

My son left this world some time ago, but if he were here, I would be speaking to him the same way I am with you.

I am very sorry to hear that.

Church is but a building.

The church is really the people. The people are the body of Christ. Therefore, let us work toward furthering His kingdom.

"If we are the body, why aren't His arms reaching, why aren't His hands healing? Why aren't Words teaching. Why is His love not showing?"--Casting Crowns

Thoughts are many. All that good stuff I just mentioned is in you, and we know that all good things come from God; therefore, God is in you. He is above all, through all, and in us all. That is so cool! You will not find that assurance anywhere in the external world. Do not bother to look.

Oh how true. Furthermore, I work that i might dissapear, that he might be seen more clear.

Here, I am not saying that God is not in the external world, because He and His creation is everywhere, but that –in your heart—is, and can always be yours!

The fingerprints of God are everywhere.

In addition, we do not find God; we do not visit God, God is. We say that he is omnipresent, and then speak as though we have hidden HIM somewhere until we go through a little ceremony, before we give him to our next convert.
If we really believe that God lives and that we live, because of Him, we need to watch what we say, because the message we give can be very confusing and sometimes sound moronic. This does not glorify God.

Indeed.

.....We sometimes fail to give God, OR people, credit. God can speak to anyone’s heart, without us. Yes, he can. Conversely, people can discover that God is their true Source, without us. This is not to say that you or anyone else should not talk with people, but be sure that your heart is directing you to do so. This is all I am trying to say.

I understand.

And, perhaps you are, but way you quote those Hell and damnation verses really got my attention.

I only state those verses because they are there and Hell is a real place.

JCARL: My mission is to show people the way to the umbrella of Christ's love and atonement.

How do you “show one the way?” I thought that was a job for the Holy Spirit.

It's the Holy Spirit working through me. The only thing I do is submit to Him that He might use me to do His work.

JCARL: Thank you for being reasonable.

…………………..I seldom get dogmatic about anything. My stepfather actually put a loud speaker on the outside of our house once, so that he could let folks know how he felt about various things. I could have died. Once, on my lunch hour, I ran across him, carrying a big sign about his political preferences. I was with business associates, and wanted to crawl under a car. Once, in a church we were visiting, the minister was going at it, and my stepfather commenced shaking his head. That was bad enough, then he said aloud, “No! No! That is not true.” Right then he and the other preacher began to debate, and then my mom and I were summoned to follow him. We left the church, and I was so confused, because for some reason he had really taken me by surprise, and I had not real clue as to what their squabble was about. Therefore, I tend to conclude that it had to do with prophecy. I was nine or ten, and prophecy was still a bit of a mystery to me.

………………FYI, THIS IS A BIT STRANGE. I thought I had your post answered, on Microsoft word. But, when I pulled up your post, you had added to what you had written, so I had to copy the addition, and work on it. Now, I am going back to post this, and hope I am through. You pulled a fast one on me, I think. :p

pmt

Yes I did that only to make sure I didn't lose it. This stuff takes me quite a while to do, so to have the internet cut off, losing all of it, is rather depressing.
:D So now I'm done. I leave you with this.

Luke 9:23;"If anyone desires after Me, he must deny himself, pick up his cross daily and follow Me."

In response to JCarl’s post of 04-14-04

As I mentioned before, I am a writer, and a student of philosophy and history, by choice. I am or have been a Bible School graduate, a former youth leader, counselor for Youth for Christ; sometime evangalist, Sunday School Teacher, and have worked much with troubled youngster and young adults. All these things make me nothing in particular, but would indicate that I am possibly familiar with various denominations, their teachings, and their behavior in general. When I was seventeen, I had my own radio broadcast, wherein I delivered lessons on the book of Romans and the book of Revelation.

I hope I have never hurt anyone with my ignorance. The only thing I remember that I regretted then, but have forgiven myself, was speaking at a women’s prison farm in Levenworth, California, when I was about nineteen. I was ill-equipped, had no idea what those women were all about, and had no business being the kind of speaker I was; that is, telling them “how easy it is” to give one’s life to following Christ. God save us from our well-intentioned ignorance.

These things I tell you now in my humble attempt to convey my love for your faith and your dedication, your spirit and your intelligence, and would never intend to hurt you in any way. This may be my last post, because I am going to say some things that you will not like at all, but I am sincere, JCarl. I have grandson’s older than you, (and a ten-year-old granddaughter…could not leave her out).

I do hope that maybe someday these things I tell you will help you get through something, or aid you in helping someone else. My best inspiration does not always come from something with which I agree; therefore, I am supposing that this might be true of you also.

The following is purely hypothetical, but I use it to make a point.

a) If an individual professes to be a believer in the almighty power of God and a follower of Christ and dedicated to His cause, -should learn irrefutably that there is no individual life after death, and having learned this he changed his priorities and consequently his way of living, I say he professed incorrectly, because that love of God had to have become part of who we are.

COMMENT: It troubles me to read, “I need to be constantly made aware of this, lest I should backslide.

REASON: It is our task to educate ourselves in the best way to live our lives, and many good teachers have told us, and the core of these good teachings also lie in the teacherings of Jesus Christ. Then being educated thusly, we will follow Christ because of the love in our heart for this better way and for this wonderful God we serve, not out of fear, intimidation, or political correctness, but out of a fervent desire to fulfill the will of God.

What needed to be done for mankind has been “finished.”

b) He took on Himself sin, plural…all sin,, past, present, future. He either did -or else He did not and we are all fools. Apostle Paul said I count myself not to have apprehended….He said, that he had an inward battle going on. “Oh wretched man that I am, who can deliver me from the body of this death.” There is a story of an Indian grandfather speaking to his grandson about two wolves that live within. He was explaining that one is a good wolf, and the other bad, and that they fight all the time. The grandson asked, “Which of those wolves will win, grandfather?” and the grandfather said, “The one you feed.” Good analogy. The winning, however, is a daily thing, and sometimes moment by moment. Of course, we have a battle, but everyone that is normal has a battle. Our difference should be—if we have one—that we KNOW we have an advocate with the Father. I would not give you two cents for a God that sent His Son to die for me, who cried “It is finished,” and have my eternal destiny dependent upon how good I was, even though I was assured, “by grace are you saved.” It cannot be both ways!

Note: People who run hot and cold are confused and/or undisciplined, but not necessarily lost. Our backgrounds have much to do with the way we handle our lives.

I shall be so bold as to observe that you seem superstitious about the Bible?

c) I shall, because it seems that you might be. Let me ask you this: If you were imprisoned and without access to a Bible, would you still have the Word of God? If all the bibles were burned or otherwise destroyed, together with paper, ink and any other recording device known to man, would you still have the Word of God.
d)
COMMENT: Surely, you are not so naïve as to think that the Kings who ruled the Catholic church so much of the time, were God’s messengers. King James and his boys did us a good deed by putting some books and other script together to make up the big book that we call the Bible. There are obvious errors in the King James translation, in addition to chronological errors in the old testament. Not to fear, anytime man has something to do with a thing, there will be errors, because is flawed. God uses these flawed vessels, in spite of their failings. Look at David. What a creep, but he was who he was. Look at Peter, after having been with Christ, walked with him, denied him. Amazing. Was he cast out. Naw. I find no fault in Thomas; I rather admire him for wanting infallible proof, and the beauty of it was that he got it!

SUMMARY: If your Bible is holy, my friend, it is because you revere it. There is nothing magical about the paper, the ink or the letters that make up the words, ratherit is the essence of truth that you feel down to your toes, and you can feel without anything tangible. Apostle Paul had no Bible.

I have never been commanded to preach the gospel to all parts of the earth.

c) That command was to Christ’s disciples, plain and simple. People then did not know about Christ. It is my learned opinion that we ought to spend more time listening than talking in our prayers and/or meditations. We need to spend more time loving in gentle acceptance as Christ did with the harlot. Why would God not want me to be a harlot? Would it be because I am too nice of a person to live like that. No. Would it be because I would bring shame to Him . . . well, not if I was not a rep of His. Then why? For the same reason as other admonitions. To serve our purpose, we must encumber ourselves with behavior, acquisitions, fame, wealth, pleasure and so forth in the extreme of any kind, if we are to have the very most we can have in energy, dedication, love, hope, joy, peace, and forgiveness, as we pursue our purpose on this earth. We are all ministers, whether we want to be or not, and this gives us an immense responsibility.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have prepared the beginnings of a fantastic meal that I must now attend to, so I had best see to it. Being domestic is something I do on occasion for fun! This is mainly for the person with whom I am co-authoring a book. For this reason, I must stop for now, and finish this post later. You should not feel obligated to respond to anything I say. I will read any response you give, and answer specific questions about “Where on earth or heaven did I get such an idea,” or whatever.

If you wish, JCarl you may email me. That would not bother me. Ask your parents deacon or whatever. My email address should be available on this forum, and if you ever want to touch basis, I will be there with my complexities and/or simplicity. I am very busy, but I love philosophy, and I love God, and there seems to be so few anymore who realize that faith is not like a cloak, but more like a transfusion! Sometimes speaking of spiritual things on a public forum gets a bit sticky, because of terminology that is sometimes foreign to others. In any event, I will get back to you, and try to summarize the rest of that long post, so that nothing is left hanging. Just keep in mind that I would not be spending all this time unless I truly felt specifically inclined. These things take me a long time too, and I really must find a way to be more brief.

To finish my response to your earlier posting:

I did not mean to leave the impression that Christ was “just some big ‘arrow’ to God. In fact, I am not quite certain how you came up with that specific thought. He is also the “truth,” and the life. To know Christ is to know God, because Christ had the mind of God. (“if you know me, you know my father”). I said, “to show us the way,” for clarity, as that is exactly why He came, but perhaps it would have been received had I said, “He was/is the way,” which to me could be more ambiguous, depending upon the receiver, I suppose. When I say “He is the way,” I am speaking of his teachings, which must be followed if we are to have the mind of Christ, which is consequently the mind of God. However, I must state this clearly: Having the mind of Christ does not mean ridding our minds of dirty thoughts and curse words, or cleaning up old negative feelings. It means discipline and readiness to accept what is. Because God is omnipresent, and omnipotent, because he is “above all, through all, and in us all,” it is then reasonable that to have the mind of God, we must open our minds; not close them. Jesus said that we must come as little children, again implying eager minds, eager to learn, accepting, loving, and so forth.

I must correct your apparent for “the cross.” It was not the cross, rather it was what he did there! He could have been nailed to the side of a building, or crushed under a rock, if and I say, IF that had been the tendency of the times. We must stop being fixed to things, and know that his love is intangible. I feel the same way about the fish and the sheep. Those were pertinent to the times; however, to tell someone who drills oil for a living that he will be made fishers of men, would seem strange. There were many shepherds then, but not here. Christ was right on with his analogies, and it is time that Christians are, or so it seems to me, but what do I know? J

re: ticket…..No, we are not the purchaser, because we have no worth with which to purchase anything from Christ; we are the recipient of his unmerited favor.

If salvation is not a process then why did James say to “work out your own salvation with fear and trembling?” Actually, what I mean by “the plan of salvation” however, was that God had a plan for our salvation. Suggestion: I think it is best to stick with what is important rather than so readily getting into semantics. You say there are no rituals, really? Then what is it you think one must do to be saved?

You are really stretching things to say there are no rituals. I think of baptism, communion, kneeling, raising hands, clapping, folding hands, witnessing, gathering for meetings, Sunday School, and so forth. These are all practices for attaining what one needs to keep with the beliefs of different denominations. Those I gave are rituals included in all Christian beliefs. In some there is the sign of the cross, genuflecting, facing the altar when kneeling and so forth. It is a bit pretentious to try to write these off with some obscure happenstance of one dying before he has a chance to be baptized or to take communion, or whatever. Another definition for religion is: ~a point or matter of conscience. Another is: ~a particular system wherein the quest for the ideal life has been embodied. Another is: ~a recognition on the part of man of a controlling superhuman power entitled to obedience, reverence and worship. Ritual is not a bad word. Rituals were heavily practiced in the Jewish religion, which was the foreshadow of things to come, if you believe in biblical prophecy. Anyway, again, I admonish you not to cloudy your testimony with semantics. Better to say, “This is not like other religions inasmuch as …………..” Buddhism claims not to be a religion also. So what! Save that dogged stubbornness for things that really matter.

Oh, so works come afterward. Getting saved is easy, is it? Tell me with a straight face that suddenly believing in Christ and his sacrifice, in God and His plan, in Faith and its abundance, in Grace and her glory, just poof, and there it is. Magic! Right? Wrong.
As for those symbols not being essential to eternal life, I agree, but they are still rituals. You seem to take the position that you can decide what the word, religion, means, rather than using the meaning it already carries. This can make you sound uneducated, or at the best unrealistic, and what does it matter if one call Christianity a religion? It is, according to definition, though unique.

Of course, God judges the heart. You know man does not, right? He cannot. It is not such a wonder that God judges the heart, since He created it and knows how it works, speaking metaphysically, of course.

“Heart felt acceptance is full hearted belief.” I have no problem with that statement, as I am supposed you mean as opposed to half-hearted, so I will leave it at that.

What are you saying, “Is that the only thing Christ gives us?” Why do you jump on every statement like that? You are fearful, and you do not even realize it. You are so afraid that I, in my ignorance, will leave out an important step that pulls your beliefs altogether and makes sense of them. Before you get all hot under the collar about this, think about it. You cannot wait to make sure that I “have it right,” or else what? I will go to hell and it will be your fault, --is that possible? Or, I may lead folks astray with my half-assed religion, right? Please, give God some credit.

You wrote: “That’s not a real church. that’s an organization that condones wrong doing and asks for nothing in terms of repentence.” That is an incorrect assumption. The families of which I speak did initially repent, and they were good people, do not take this wrong. They were enslaved with extremes which did them no earthly good, and certainly no heavenly good. They came to church, spent hours at the altar, had open testimony, the forgiveness, the whole thing. But, the part to which I so much objected was that thereafter every testimony one from that family would give said the same old thing, and all the people would shake their heads. It just did not seem right. Forget that crap. When you keep on about something so wasting, you give it some kind of false worthiness, and there is no worthiness to excess, because it works against us. Whatever works against us in that way separates us from God’s calling. Anyway, I wanted them to talk about moving on. One of the biggest faults with organized religion—in general—is that they fail to nourish the believers. They are so busy trying to raise the count from 303 in church last Sunday, to 313 this Sunday, they forget that those who are there need to grow. What we call church is supposed to be for the saints, not for the sinners specifically. This is why Jesus said, “go.” He did not say “put up a building, make the services interesting to even those who know nothing about God, and folks will come. Then when they do, get them to the altar and do not let them go until they accept what you tell them.” In looking through the Pauline epistles, we find words to believers. In looking through the books of James Peter, John and Jude, we see words to believers. In Hebrews, the same. Those learned men wrote the best they knew how to encourage and edify believers; we ought to do the same.

You cannot “show” someone that Jesus loves them. That is ridiculous; how could you do that? “By this will they know that you are my disciples, in that you love one another.”
(Possibly paraphrased.)

You wrote, “But we are to become conformed by being submissive to Christ.” You have that a bit wrong. I think you are referring to: “Be ye not conformed to this world, but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind….” There again, we have that “Mind of Christ” thing.

If I am understanding you correctly, you live in constant fear of sinning. We sin. We are flawed. “It is finished.” What is so hard about that? Filling your heart and your life with love for God and His creation, which of necessity includes your fellow man, and seeking wisdom, hungering for truth, thirsting for rightness is what you need to do. You occupy yourself in that manner and stop that nonsense of worrying about whether you sin. Of course, you will! “If we sin we have an advocate with the Father.”

You wrote: “Let’s make sure that we use God’s Word to deduce what is avoidable and acceptable.”

Hokus pokus. We shall be cursed if we quote Spinoza, that dear man who lived his life as close to Christ’s teachings as anyone I could mention. That moderate, studious, well-educated, disciplined man. Oh, do not quote him. Quote rather this preacher or that, this Christian book or that. Hear this, my friend:
“Of all the writings and philosophy,
(which are never quite enough for me),
there is mainly one who comes to fore,
whose words have given so much more
than met my ears in any pew.
(He confirmed and blessed what I too knew!)

Just because you do not know the man, nor has he (apparently) been approved by our headquarters, you would admonish me, with my seventy years to be careful. I shall admit to you then that my headquarter is where my Head is, that is with my heavenly Father.

Another verse from that same poem just may make you smile.
In youth, time seemed to have no end;
so many hours were mine to spend.
There seemed little need
to strain my mind, and
no thought of changing any ways.
There was much I was sure I knew
in those earlier puppy days!

A way out of suffering, you say. Hmm. I know of no way out of suffering. It is illusionary to think that believers do not suffer many of the same things as do non-believers.

“Hell is a real place.” ------Are you sure about what kind of a real place, JCarl? I can truthfully say, with much conviction, and years of study, meditation and prayer, that I am not at all convinced that anyone will burn forever. According to the book of Revelation, death and Hell will be tossed into the lake of fire, which will burn “forever.” I think this is metaphorical.

I still think “your work” is to love and lift up and accept, but you will work that out. You are a good young man, and I know God has His hand on your life, so to speak, and I believe that God finishes what He commences, no matter how much time it takes, and sometimes we do become sidetracked, thereby robbing ourselves of all that God has for us, but He, is always there, it is we who forget to notice.

Well, now I am finished, and I think I have said enough about your last post. I wish you the very best; indeed I do. No matter what comes your way, know that God can and will give you the strength and courage to get through it, and any time you err, His grace is sufficient, keep going. It is well worth the effort.
:eek:
Pmt

P. M. Thorne said:
a) If an individual professes to be a believer in the almighty power of God and a follower of Christ and dedicated to His cause, -should learn irrefutably that there is no individual life after death,[/B][.Quote]

What do you mean by "individual," and where do you find this in the Bible. I think what you're getting at is that we're selfishily looking unto Heaven that we might benefit ourselves. But that is not what the Bible teaches. 1 Cor. 13:3:"...though I give my body up to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing." If I died a martyr,but did it so that I may be glorified, it profits me nothing.
Paul never doubted that we would receive a crown(2 Tim. 4:8), but at the same time he says Rom. 9:3" I would rather myself be accursed from Christ[losing my salvation]for my brethren..." That crown is the end result of a Christian life, but you must consider that the Christian life, and the works thereof, are done out of love and submission to Christ, and not because of a heavenly piece of jewelry.

COMMENT: It troubles me to read, “I need to be constantly made aware of this, lest I should backslide.

I think I should clarify. What I mean by "backsliding" is that I fall back into reliance on worldy desires that do not build me up as a Christian. What I'm talking about really is being totally 100% submitted to Christ. That is what I struggle with.

What needed to be done for mankind has been “finished.”

But it is still our job to show the love of Christ. That means witnessing(all forms)

b I would not give you two cents for a God that sent His Son to die for me, who cried “It is finished,” and have my eternal destiny dependent upon how good I was, even though I was assured, “by grace are you saved.” It cannot be both ways!

I never said it was. By grace you have been saved. But once we've reached that level, where do we go? Then we work toward showing others the love of Jesus Christ and being totally submissive to Christ. Our faith is justified, in this context meaning the proof of, by our works. Our works are evidence that we are saved, evidence that we no longer conform to this world, evidence that we are changed. Am I making sense.

Note: People who run hot and cold are confused and/or undisciplined, but not necessarily lost. Our backgrounds have much to do with the way we handle our lives.

Indeed, and are probably in need of guidance from the stronger Spiritual brethren.

I shall be so bold as to observe that you seem superstitious about the Bible?

Well I'm not, for whatever that's worth, at least by my definition of superstition.

c) I shall, because it seems that you might be. Let me ask you this: If you were imprisoned and without access to a Bible, would you still have the Word of God? If all the bibles were burned or otherwise destroyed, together with paper, ink and any other recording device known to man, would you still have the Word of God.

I would still have it because it is locked in my memory. Even then, I think God would give me the strength to persevere.

COMMENT: Surely, you are not so naïve as to think that the Kings who ruled the Catholic church so much of the time, were God’s messengers.

I am youthfully naive on many things, but on that I am not. I struggle to even think that some of those guys are even in Heaven. After all by their works you shall know them.

I find no fault in Thomas; I rather admire him for wanting infallible proof, and the beauty of it was that he got it!

It is human nature to desire visible proof, that I will concede. But also, blessed are those who have not seen and yet believed.

I have never been commanded to preach the gospel to all parts of the earth.

c) That command was to Christ’s disciples, plain and simple. People then did not know about Christ.

Are you telling me that everyone on Earth now knows Christ. If that were the case, then why having more people come to a saving knowledge of Christ?

It is my learned opinion that we ought to spend more time listening than talking in our prayers and/or meditations. We need to spend more time loving in gentle acceptance as Christ did with the harlot.

It was acceptance of the harlot as a person. It wasn't acceptance of the things she did." Go you and sin no more," meaning get rid of the "pet" habitual sins.

Why would God not want me to be a harlot?

I personally think it's cuz one cannot serve 2 masters. A harlot serves the fleshly nature and thus cannot serve God at the same time.

Would it be because I am too nice of a person to live like that. No. Would it be because I would bring shame to Him . . . well, not if I was not a rep of His. Then why? For the same reason as other admonitions. To serve our purpose, we must encumber ourselves with behavior, acquisitions, fame, wealth, pleasure and so forth in the extreme of any kind, if we are to have the very most we can have in energy, dedication, love, hope, joy, peace, and forgiveness, as we pursue our purpose on this earth.

Ok this has me lost. I don't really know what you're trying to say.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

For this reason, I must stop for now, and finish this post later. You should not feel obligated to respond to anything I say. I will read any response you give, and answer specific questions about “Where on earth or heaven did I get such an idea,” or whatever.[/B ]

I will stop here too, lest I should get kicked off and lose what I have.

P. M. Thorne said:
To finish my response to your earlier posting:

I did not mean to leave the impression that Christ was “just some big ‘arrow’ to God. In fact, I am not quite certain how you came up with that specific thought.[/b]

Whenever you said, "I think He came to show us the way," and left it at that it made me think that that was the only thing He came to do. I think this is because I'm not one for underestimating things, esp. when it comes to Christ. To say He came to show us the way is true, but there's much more to Him than that.

He is also the “truth,” and the life. To know Christ is to know God, because Christ had the mind of God. (“if you know me, you know my father”). I said, “to show us the way,” for clarity, as that is exactly why He came, but perhaps it would have been received had I said, “He was/is the way,” which to me could be more ambiguous, depending upon the receiver, I suppose. When I say “He is the way,” I am speaking of his teachings, which must be followed if we are to have the mind of Christ, which is consequently the mind of God. However, I must state this clearly: Having the mind of Christ does not mean ridding our minds of dirty thoughts and curse words, or cleaning up old negative feelings. It means discipline and readiness to accept what is.

I think it means submitting to Christ, obeying Him. Thus when He says, One cannot serve two masters, He is meaning that I cannot serve both the World, the mother of those thoughts and images, and Him at the same time. Therefore to follow Him means that I must forsake the World and even crucify it in order to follow Christ.

Because God is omnipresent, and omnipotent, because he is “above all, through all, and in us all,” it is then reasonable that to have the mind of God, we must open our minds; not close them.

What are we opening up our minds to? I ask this because if we open our minds to anything that doesn't fit in with what Christ said-both verbally and through the apostles-then I think we're heading down a potentially dangerous path.

I must correct your apparent for “the cross.” It was not the cross, rather it was what he did there! He could have been nailed to the side of a building, or crushed under a rock, if and I say, IF that had been the tendency of the times.

I meant what was done at the cross.

re: ticket…..No, we are not the purchaser, because we have no worth with which to purchase anything from Christ; we are the recipient of his unmerited favor.

We have nothing with which to purchase Him; that is a fact. Thus the only thing we have to give to Him is the life He gave to us.

If salvation is not a process then why did James say to “work out your own salvation with fear and trembling?”

Actually Paul said that in Phil. 2:12. But that is nit picking and not my foremost intention. Salvation is not a process, but showing and giving evidence for it(proving it) is a process, one that isn't to end till death. What Paul is saying is prove that you're saved by the things you do, which is basically what James said.

Actually, what I mean by “the plan of salvation” however, was that God had a plan for our salvation. Suggestion: I think it is best to stick with what is important rather than so readily getting into semantics. You say there are no rituals, really? Then what is it you think one must do to be saved?

The first thing I wanted to say was pray the "Sinner's Prayer," but that is in and of itself a ritual. One is saved by accepting in ones heart that Christ is your savior. How one is to go about that doesn't matter: the means in this case doesn't matter so long as the end, acceptance of Christ, is accomplished. It is my personal experience that this usually happens by means of the Sinner's Prayer, but that doesn't mean that that's the only way to accept Christ.

You are really stretching things to say there are no rituals. I think of baptism, communion, kneeling, raising hands, clapping, folding hands, witnessing, gathering for meetings, Sunday School, and so forth.

I agree with all but the witnessing. If witnessing were a ritual, then it would only have one way in which to do it. This is obviously not the case, as there are several different avenues of witnessing. Is prayer a ritual as such? No, becuase there are many different ways to talk with God.
Rituals usually consist solely of symbolism, symbolizing something in Christ's life. Communion represents the Christ's sacrifice, Baptism represents Christ dying and resurrecting, and so on. I don't see much symbolism in prayer or witnessing and thus don't consider it to be a ritual.

These are all practices for attaining what one needs to keep with the beliefs of different denominations. Those I gave are rituals included in all Christian beliefs. In some there is the sign of the cross, genuflecting, facing the altar when kneeling and so forth. It is a bit pretentious to try to write these off with some obscure happenstance of one dying before he has a chance to be baptized or to take communion, or whatever. Another definition for religion is: ~a point or matter of conscience. Another is: ~a particular system wherein the quest for the ideal life has been embodied. Another is: ~a recognition on the part of man of a controlling superhuman power entitled to obedience, reverence and worship. Ritual is not a bad word. Rituals were heavily practiced in the Jewish religion, which was the foreshadow of things to come, if you believe in biblical prophecy. Anyway, again, I admonish you not to cloudy your testimony with semantics. Better to say, “This is not like other religions inasmuch as …………..” Buddhism claims not to be a religion also. So what! Save that dogged stubbornness for things that really matter.

Ok. I just think that religion as such is such a small portion of Christianity that to call Christianity a religion is a gross understatement, and you know I don't like those.

Oh, so works come afterward. Getting saved is easy, is it?

To believe that I am a sinner and am getting something I don't deserve because somebody loved me enough to die in my place. Is that easy? No.

Tell me with a straight face that suddenly believing in Christ and his sacrifice, in God and His plan, in Faith and its abundance, in Grace and her glory, just poof, and there it is. Magic! Right? Wrong.

To get saved costs me nothing. To show that that has changed me--i.e. to show that I am saved--costs me everything. Just something to throw out.

What are you saying, “Is that the only thing Christ gives us?” Why do you jump on every statement like that?

Again it's attack of the abhorring of understatements that I do that.

You are fearful, and you do not even realize it. You are so afraid that I, in my ignorance, will leave out an important step that pulls your beliefs altogether and makes sense of them. Before you get all hot under the collar about this, think about it. You cannot wait to make sure that I “have it right,” or else what? I will go to hell and it will be your fault, --is that possible? Or, I may lead folks astray with my half-assed religion, right? Please, give God some credit.

If I sounded harsh I apologize. As long as you teach people that Christ is the way, the truth, and the life, and that belief in Christ is sufficient, then I have no real quarrel.

You wrote: “That’s not a real church. that’s an organization that condones wrong doing and asks for nothing in terms of repentence.” That is an incorrect assumption. The families of which I speak did initially repent, and they were good people, do not take this wrong. They were enslaved with extremes which did them no earthly good, and certainly no heavenly good. They came to church, spent hours at the altar, had open testimony, the forgiveness, the whole thing. But, the part to which I so much objected was that thereafter every testimony one from that family would give said the same old thing, and all the people would shake their heads. It just did not seem right. Forget that crap. When you keep on about something so wasting, you give it some kind of false worthiness, and there is no worthiness to excess, because it works against us. Whatever works against us in that way separates us from God’s calling. Anyway, I wanted them to talk about moving on. One of the biggest faults with organized religion—in general—is that they fail to nourish the believers. They are so busy trying to raise the count from 303 in church last Sunday, to 313 this Sunday, they forget that those who are there need to grow. What we call church is supposed to be for the saints, not for the sinners specifically. This is why Jesus said, “go.” He did not say “put up a building, make the services interesting to even those who know nothing about God, and folks will come. Then when they do, get them to the altar and do not let them go until they accept what you tell them.” In looking through the Pauline epistles, we find words to believers. In looking through the books of James Peter, John and Jude, we see words to believers. In Hebrews, the same. Those learned men wrote the best they knew how to encourage and edify believers; we ought to do the same.

I accept that.

You cannot “show” someone that Jesus loves them. That is ridiculous; how could you do that? “By this will they know that you are my disciples, in that you love one another.”
(Possibly paraphrased.)

I cannot show them, but the Bible can.

You wrote, “But we are to become conformed by being submissive to Christ.” You have that a bit wrong. I think you are referring to: “Be ye not conformed to this world, but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind….” There again, we have that “Mind of Christ” thing.

We can submit/conform to one of two things: the World or God. Ok we want to be like Christ. Therforefore we can conform to His example by being submissive to His teachings. Having the "Mind of Christ" and conforming to His example I think are one in the same.

If I am understanding you correctly, you live in constant fear of sinning.

No I'm still struggling with the habitual sin stuff, the stuff that harms my witness for Christ, the stuff that pulls me farther away from Him.

You wrote: “Let’s make sure that we use God’s Word to deduce what is avoidable and acceptable.”

Hokus pokus. We shall be cursed if we quote Spinoza, that dear man who lived his life as close to Christ’s teachings as anyone I could mention. That moderate, studious, well-educated, disciplined man.

My point was this: if one believes in Christ, then what somebody believes--whether it be Spinoza or Norman Geisler--ought to match up with what the Bible says. I don't agree with some pastors on salvation: just because they are of Christendom doens't mean I automattically accept what they say. It isn't a matter of who is saying it, but what is said.

A way out of suffering, you say. Hmm. I know of no way out of suffering. It is illusionary to think that believers do not suffer many of the same things as do non-believers.

Oh indeed, but we can say, through any hardship,:"I know that my redeemer lives, and that at the end He shall stand upon the Earth. And even though my body is destroyed, yet in this flesh I will see God.

“Hell is a real place.” ------Are you sure about what kind of a real place, JCarl? I can truthfully say, with much conviction, and years of study, meditation and prayer, that I am not at all convinced that anyone will burn forever. According to the book of Revelation, death and Hell will be tossed into the lake of fire, which will burn “forever.” I think this is metaphorical.

Then what are we to make of the Judgement? What are we to make of Lazarus the rich man and Luke 16:19-31(Which doesn't seem like a parable.)? What leads you to think that eternal Hell is metaphorical?

I still think “your work” is to love and lift up and accept, but you will work that out. You are a good young man,

thank you.

and I know God has His hand on your life, so to speak, and I believe that God finishes what He commences, no matter how much time it takes, and sometimes we do become sidetracked, thereby robbing ourselves of all that God has for us, but He, is always there, it is we who forget to notice.

Indeed.

Well, now I am finished, and I think I have said enough about your last post. I wish you the very best; indeed I do. No matter what comes your way, know that God can and will give you the strength and courage to get through it, and any time you err, His grace is sufficient, keep going. It is well worth the effort.
:eek:
Pmt

"But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory both now and forever."-2 Pet. 3:18.

Thank you PMT.

Why in hell do you post so much lying scripture? You Christians are so lost that no one will ever save your sorry asses. Start with forgiveness, and hope that God forgives you for your stupidity. Jesus didn't die for you sorry bastards. Jesus didn't die period. You are a lost cause.

Medicine Woman, this is why: scripture gives us comfort, while at the same time challenging us. It displays to us love that is unconditional. This is only from perspective, but perhaps you should look into such a subject as love, as your most recent post seems to lack this.

Scripture gives us hope that there is something much better than place. Where do you find hope, Medicine Woman?

M*W Hey! Be nice. I do not quote scriptures to you, because, for one reason at least, I know you would be offended. Your naughty words to not upset me, because you write such good thoughts sometimes, and words are nothing in themselves.

I had to smile when I saw your post. Glad to see you are still around. Truly.

pmt

JCarl: your first quote and response was: a) If an individual professes to be a believer in the almighty power of God and a follower of Christ and dedicated to His cause, -should learn irrefutably that there is no individual life after death.

What do you mean by "individual," and where do you find this in the Bible………………………

THIS IS WHAT I actually wrote to you: “The following is purely hypothetical, but I use it to make a point. AND THEN:
a) If an individual professes to be a believer in the almighty power of God and a follower of Christ and dedicated to His cause, -should learn irrefutably that there is no individual life after death, and having learned this he changed his priorities and consequently his way of living, I say he professed incorrectly, because that love of God had to have become part of who we are.”

Hypothetical was the key word here. Not SOMTHING FROM the bible, but a "what if?" type of thing, okay? What I was attempting to say was that the love of God becomes a part of who we are, and nothing can ever truly change that. You may not agree, and I realize it is an extreme scenario, but that is how I feel about it.

JCarl: ….but you must consider that the Christian life, and the works thereof, are done out of love and submission to Christ, and not because of a heavenly piece of jewelry.

Let me ask you this: What is a “heavenly piece of jewelry?” Once the dolled up lady on TBN commented that we could have heart-shaped diamonds for doorknobs. I suppose that was her way to try to convert one to whom such things might appeal. I cannot understand why that would be meaningful. Therefore, I leave with you, for whatever it is worth, that the crown is not literal, just as the “streets of gold” are not literal. Man decided that gold was precious, and man puts value on crowns, and man wrote all that, and expressed it the best he knew, thus the different manners of prophesying. I can give examples, if you like, but for now, I assume that you are familiar with these.

JCarl: But it is still our job to show the love of Christ. That means witnessing(all forms)

Our job? I think I will give up, because we have really different thoughts on this. I do not wish to battle points. I told you what I think, and you disagree, so there it is.

JCarl: Our faith is justified, in this context meaning the proof of, by our works. Our works are evidence that we are saved, evidence that we no longer conform to this world, evidence that we are changed. Am I making sense?

Not to me. The bible says that we are justified by faith. What do you mean, “our faith is justified?” The evidence that we follow Christ’s teachings is that we love one another. I say. I think we have a different idea about what salvation means, or being “saved” as you put it.

JCarl: Indeed, and are probably in need of guidance from the stronger Spiritual brethren.
Or perhaps love and acceptance, and letting God pick his own geese. How about that? Or, is HE helpless without our many words?

J.Carl: I would still have it because it is locked in my memory. Even then, I think God would give me the strength to persevere.

There, you did it again. Good answer! You cannot how often people get very nervous with such a question. You know what? I think you are right! This was not entirely my point, but I really like your answer, because you know scripture, and this is the great thing about having read or heard good news. It comes back from time to time to help us through a hurdle. I think I will leave it at that, because I am not at all concerned with that response.

JCarl: It is human nature to desire visible proof, that I will concede. But also, blessed are those who have not seen and yet believed.

Yes, I am very familiar with that, which has been quoted repeatedly, but I am still on Thomas’ side. If it had been me, I would have had the same question. Paul said “study,” he did not say read and believe.

JCarl: Are you telling me that everyone on Earth now knows Christ? If that were the case, then why having more people come to a saving knowledge of Christ?

That is a question that just throws me. For heavens sake, guy. Christ had just come. This was new. Come on! There was no New Testament. Most common folks could not even read.

JCarl: It was acceptance of the harlot as a person. It wasn't acceptance of the things she did." Go you and sin no more," meaning get rid of the "pet" habitual sins.

Why do you think those words need definition? Remember, in any event, that he said that to her after she came to Him. For us, would be saviors of the world, I think we should remember why Christ came. It was not to condemn the world.

I personally think it's cuz one cannot serve 2 masters. A harlot serves the fleshly nature and thus cannot serve God at the same time.
JCarl: I personally think it's cuz one cannot serve 2 masters. A harlot serves the fleshly nature and thus cannot serve God at the same time.

What master? You do not believe that Christ came to teach us a better way, do you? Rather you think he came to straighten us out so that God could be happy. Excuse me. Everything we are told to do is for our benefit. Secondly, you seem to believe—correct me if I err here—that God smacks us or blesses us when we are bad or good. See, I do not believe that. I believe that it has all been done, and is there for everybody… that wonderful Source. When I pray I do not think that God comes running, rather I think that it helps me open to access what he has already done. It helps me to connect. I believe the more I connect with God, the closer I am to you, you and you. With this, I believe that the closer one connects with you, you and you, the closer he gets to God, so to speak.
Now, of course, this connecting is not simply a social thing. Nay, but a spiritual thing.

JCARL QUOTED AND RESPONDED:
“ Would it be because I am too nice of a person to live like that. No. Would it be because I would bring shame to Him . . . well, not if I was not a rep of His. Then why? For the same reason as other admonitions. To serve our purpose, we must encumber ourselves with behavior, acquisitions, fame, wealth, pleasure and so forth in the extreme of any kind, if we are to have the very most we can have in energy, dedication, love, hope, joy, peace, and forgiveness, as we pursue our purpose on this earth. ”

Ok this has me lost. I don't really know what you're trying to say.

And that, JCarl, is because I messed up! It should read, “………. we must NOT encumber ourselves with……………..” Try that. sorry….

JCarl: I will stop here too, lest I should get kicked off and lose what I have.

That happens to you too! Annoying isn’t it?

I will cut off here, once again, and do the other part later. You take your time, but I had some time right now, and have to do it when I do have the time. I had wonderful mother’s day treats, and consider myself very fortunate. I think a lot about things like that. Each good day is a treasure, and something to absorb so that when the days are not so good, we do not despair, huh?

P. M. Thorne said:
THIS IS WHAT I actually wrote to you: “The following is purely hypothetical, but I use it to make a point. AND THEN:
a) If an individual professes to be a believer in the almighty power of God and a follower of Christ and dedicated to His cause, -should learn irrefutably that there is no individual life after death, and having learned this he changed his priorities and consequently his way of living, I say he professed incorrectly, because that love of God had to have become part of who we are.”

Hypothetical was the key word here. Not SOMTHING FROM the bible, but a "what if?" type of thing, okay? What I was attempting to say was that the love of God becomes a part of who we are, and nothing can ever truly change that. You may not agree, and I realize it is an extreme scenario, but that is how I feel about it.[/B]

Ok a little illumination, but I'm still not quite sure about what point you're trying to make. Do we not tell them about the whole afterlife thing? That is my interpretation of what you're saying, but that really has no bearing on what is the right interpretation is.

JCarl: ….but you must consider that the Christian life, and the works thereof, are done out of love and submission to Christ, and not because of a heavenly piece of jewelry.

Let me ask you this: What is a “heavenly piece of jewelry?”

That was just a sarcastic remark. I was saying that our life and the things we do should be out of obedience and love for Christ, NOT because we might get something in return.

Our job? I think I will give up, because we have really different thoughts on this. I do not wish to battle points. I told you what I think, and you disagree, so there it is.

But I still don't understand why you think this. Why isn't it your--your, our, what ever pronoun you wish--job to tell others about Jesus, even if it isn't verbal? Why not make 1 Pet.3:15 one of our mottos?

Not to me. The bible says that we are justified by faith. What do you mean, “our faith is justified?” The evidence that we follow Christ’s teachings is that we love one another. I say.

Exactly!! That is our "work". By their fruits--by the outward display of Christ's love through them--you shall know them. Our love to others is a neon sign to others that we are Christians and follow His commandments. Our faith is proved, is shown to be true, by our outward display. Don't get caught up on my use of the word "works." It is, in this context, just another word for outward display.

I think we have a different idea about what salvation means, or being “saved” as you put it.

No we don't. To show the world that you're a Christian, to show the world that you follow Christ and His teachings, require that you forsake the world and everything in it. To actually follow and live up to the Sermon on the Mount requires that you forsake the world and its ways.

Now if someone doesn't do this--doesn't live out Christ's teachings--does that mean they are not a Christian? Not necessarily, but if no fruits of Christianity are shown, it's very hard to tell that that person is a Christian. After all, if an apple tree bears no apples, would you really believe it was an apple tree? Probably not.

Or perhaps love and acceptance, and letting God pick his own geese. How about that? Or, is HE helpless without our many words?

Who says that He can't use us to do His will?

Yes, I am very familiar with that, which has been quoted repeatedly, but I am still on Thomas’ side. If it had been me, I would have had the same question. Paul said “study,” he did not say read and believe.

Hey wouldn't we all have that question, that same doubt?

That is a question that just throws me. For heavens sake, guy. Christ had just come. This was new. Come on! There was no New Testament. Most common folks could not even read.

Because there is a new testament, does that mean that we are no longer responsible for delivering the Gospel?

I will stop here because there are some things I must do. Till I finish and we meet again.

Jay Carlson

Well, okay, Jay Carlson! Good grief. That was fast. I have not done the other half yet. But! I think I will answer this first. If I can be more clear. Somehow I lost you on this: You wrote: Ok a little illumination, but I'm still not quite sure about what point you're trying to make. Do we not tell them about the whole afterlife thing? That is my interpretation of what you're saying, but that really has no bearing on what is the right interpretation is.

No, no, no, no.........that had nothing to do with witnessing. Let me put it a different way: I was just saying that (AND THIS WILL NOT HAPPEN, BUT JUST SAY IF IT COULD), we found out that there is no hereafter, and then you and I say, Well, rain on that, then I can live anyway I want to. What would that say about us. All I am saying, I suppose, is that even if..if, if if...you and I found out right now that there is no life for us hereafter, would we choose to live differently. I would not! I believe with all my heart that Jesus, and others have taught us the best way to live this life. Besides I am already doing WHAT I WANT TO. I do not live the way I live for brownie buttons. I live this way, because I am convinced that it is the best way to live. --------Now, tell me, does that make sense. If not, by golly, I will try again! :mad:

JCarl: I was saying that our life and the things we do should be out of obedience and love for Christ, NOT because we might get something in return.

Good! Got it!

JCarl: But I still don't understand why you think this. Why isn't it your--your, our, what ever pronoun you wish--job to tell others about Jesus, even if it isn't verbal? Why not make 1 Pet.3:15 one of our mottos?

Hey! I am not mad at Peter! :p Joking. I like that verse very much. It is precious. One reason, Jay, that I thought it best to let that go is that I fear that I might not be making complete sense. I know what I mean, but it is so hard with some of these things, because I would never want to step on your faith in any way. Another thing, I am still learning, and you are so young. Experience will teach you a lot. I am just hoping that you do not expect so much of yourself that one day you will say, "To hell with it!" as many have.

This is why I try to pull God a bit away from the religious (church and others) organizations, and even a bit away from the Bible, (do not cough and spurt), because so many become disgusted with "religion" that anything that is related thereto becomes a no-no. And/or they suddenly decide that the bible is not "the word of God." So, what happens next? Well, something like Jesus was just a man like the rest of us....he got married and had kids and someone else was on the cross. Or, if that does not heal their wounds, "Jesus never lived; there is no proof that he lived, and Paul was made up, and so was Josepheus." Whomever cannot be proven as fictitious is trashed! Then, if one who goes so far even gets an inkling that he has left the good stuff behind, all those things that did not add up, hover close and say, "do not make a fool of yourself; there is no God."

See, what we have now. No matter which way such a one looks, it is a long way back to basics. This is why I stress so much living the way you do, because it makes sense to you. Not because this is what you are told to do. That is okay in the beginning, but it should be working within time, and one should see that it makes sense. And this, my dear young friend is what I was trying to tell you about Spinoza. One avid religious lady, met me in the field where I was walking my dog, when I was in Texas, to warn me about reading philosophy. I "should be reading the bible; she told me she was praying for me.

Now that was a woman who felt compelled to set people straight, according to her own idea of straight! No attempt at conversation, or reasoning, just an admonition about my reading philosophy. What a pain in the butt she was, but I answered slowly and with as much grace as I could muster. Yet, after that, I was ever aware that she considered me not quite spiritual enough. There were other comments, but that one took the cake. Do I always act like a follower of Christ? No. Am I always in a state of prayer? No. Do I read the bible every day? No. Do I ever say something out of anger. Uh huh. Do I ever get discouraged? Yeah. Do I feel that God deserts me? No. Do I think he is angry with me? No. Do I think he loves me. Absolutely, and everyone else too.

Do I have joy in sorrow? Yes Sir. Peace in turmoil? You bet. Strength in weakness? I do.

How do I pray? From the bottom of my toes. Does He answer. Oh yeah.
So! Do you see what I am saying? I am flawed, oh boy, am I. Do I worry about it? Sometimes. Does it last long. Almost never. It seems to me that the older I get, the more I remember that "this too shall pass."

JCarl: Exactly!! That is our "work". By their fruits--by the outward display of Christ's love through them--you shall know them. Our love to others is a neon sign to others that we are Christians and follow His commandments. Our faith is proved, is shown to be true, by our outward display. Don't get caught up on my use of the word "works." It is, in this context, just another word for outward display.

Yeah, Jay, I do get caught on words, so other people sometimes do also. Make your words count when you can, okay? Your words are all I have, and this with a sincere desire to get it right leads me to question when something does not sound right. However, some of it is just me, ...hmm, like "proved." I do not like the idea of "proving" I have faith, because I do not believe one can. God already knows and people never know for sure. My daughter says that I am very literal and that sometimes it is annoying. So, be annoyed. That will be okay. (Smile)
I SAID: “ I think we have a different idea about what salvation means, or being “saved” as you put it. ” THEN, YOU SAID:No we don't. To show the world that you're a Christian, to show the world that you follow Christ and His teachings, require that you forsake the world and everything in it....."

That made me laugh.

JCarl wrote: Now if someone doesn't do this--doesn't live out Christ's teachings--does that mean they are not a Christian? Not necessarily, but if no fruits of Christianity are shown, it's very hard to tell that that person is a Christian. After all, if an apple tree bears no apples, would you really believe it was an apple tree? Probably not.

Here I go again. Most of my earliers years were in California, and I can tell you that sometimes an apple tree will not bear apples. (See how annoying that is.) All kidding aside. I agree with a sufficient amount of that statement. Sometimes we do not know for sure, but when we see the fruit...the nurishment that comes from that tree, we can have a fairly good idea of what that person is about. (Mixing things a bit, like trees and people, but I think you will know I am saying, right?)

JCarl: Who says that He can't use us to do His will?

Of course, He can. The biggest problem is that there are too many who have no more idea that a goose what His will is for that day and time, and start their mouth before they start their motor, much like the lady in the field. How dare she tell me what to read!

JCarl: Hey wouldn't we all have that question, that same doubt?

Thank you!

JCarl: Because there is a new testament, does that mean that we are no longer responsible for delivering the Gospel?

Noooo. Here I am again, getting me into this, but what is gospel, I ask? Is it not "good news?" If so, then, "If you want to go to heaven, you must be saved;" and, "If you do not become saved you will, of course, go to Hell," brings us to: Oh boy, thanks! That is really good news!

Maureecie /Now, I will work on the second part of the other one.

Response to the second half of the previous post from JCarl; rec’d May 8, 2004

I wrote: It means discipline and readiness to accept what is.
Then you wrote: “I think it means submitting to Christ, obeying Him.”

IS THERE A DIFFERENCE? If so, what?

JCarl—wrote: and even crucify it (the world) in order to follow Christ.

Exactly what does that mean to you … crucifying the world?... Could you please explain?

JCarl: What are we opening up our minds to? I ask this because if we open our minds to anything that doesn't fit in with what Christ said-both verbally and through the apostles-then I think we're heading down a potentially dangerous path.

Oops, fear! Let me ask you this: How can you learn anything at all if your mind is closed? Are you afraid to open your mind, or are you misunderstanding my meaning. I am not advocating a broad-mindedness, okay? I am advocating an open, receiving mind. Think about, “If you ask for bread, will I give you a stone?” Or, “Greater is He than he that is in the world.” Word of caution, however. When we say, “God so loved the world,” or that Christ came into the world, “not to condemn the world,” or if we quote from the O. T.: “The heavens are thine, the earth also is thine; the world(literal) and all that is in it, thou has founded them….

[NOTE: The translation seems to be similar in different editions; nonetheless I find them a bit difficult in Ps. 89:11, as quoted above.]

The term world in the N.T. (verses I quoted) can mean literal or figurative, so far as I have been able to determine (komos). Therefore, as people are far more educated in general than in the days of Christ’s physical presence, we should make our meaning clear. Are we talking about the earth, the people, or are we referring to the ungodliness of certain secular things? We remember there was no United States when these verses were written; that is, no “nation founded by people who believed in Christ,” no “God Bless America,” song. Much of this nation (USA) is Christian, at least in name. To get our intent across—I think, using the word –world- too freely could seem contradictory. If you disagree, so be it. This is just another of my pet concerns. (I suppose if no one questions you, then go for it.)

JCarl:Actually Paul said that in Phil. 2:12. But that is nit picking and not my foremost intention.

Not at all. That was indeed a quote from Paul. My memory failed me. Actually, I almost said Peter, and then thought it must have been James. He is so big on works! Peter did say something that I will quote here: I Peter 1:9 “……obtaining as the outcome of your faith the salvation of your souls. This connotates progress, which would be from a process, right? Now, another interesting observation: the word work used in vss to do with say “a work of faith,” is (ergo)..deed, doing, labor, to work, toil as an occupation, whereas, the word used in Phil. 2:12 is (katergazamoi) ..to work fully, accomplish, finish.

JCarl: Salvation is not a process, but showing and giving evidence for it(proving it) is a process, one that isn't to end till death.

Chapter and verse, please, kind Sir. “Working out” surely implies some thought and time. As for “proving it, I have already given my take on that. What is in process is growth; and being delivered or having the victory.. is a day by day thing. Though sin no longer has dominion, it is with us. It has affected us and still does; therefore, we learn to overcome those lingering signs, those sneaky little bouts of ungodly behavior. Those troublesome moments when we want to feel sorry for ourselves rather than enjoying that victory that is ours, because He that is within us is greater…. What we do, I think, is fail to stay full of good stuff; otherwise, there would not be . . . room for all that gloom! This, I say, is the good news!

JCarl: I agree with all but the witnessing. If witnessing were a ritual, then it would only have one way in which to do it. …………… I don't see much symbolism in prayer or witnessing and thus don't consider it to be a ritual.

Where do you get those definitions? :eek:

JCarl: I cannot show them, but the Bible can.

Excuse my saying so, but that smacks of superstition. Come on! If the bible can show them, then you can. I say that you cannot and that the bible cannot. I think it takes the Spirit of God to show us things like that. IMO

JCarl: Therforefore we can conform to His example by being submissive to His teachings. Having the "Mind of Christ" and conforming to His example I think are one in the same.

Ah, it is a matter of words, but I still prefer the word “transformed,” because if that does not happen, there will be no conforming to his teachings. Right? Of course, it is right!

JCarl: No I'm still struggling with the habitual sin stuff, the stuff that harms my witness for Christ, the stuff that pulls me farther away from Him.

Oh stop! If it pulls you away, it is only because you allow it. I believe that is the hard part. If we stop working so hard trying not to be bad, we will have more time to be good. (Using those terms rather loosely, I know.) That is to say, if we busy ourselves with all those things Paul tells us to “think upon,” then we will not have the time to think on so much else; and if we constantly remind ourselves of what we have and who we are (children of God), we will not be occupying ourselves so much with our flaws. IMO

JCarl: My point was this: if one believes in Christ, then what somebody believes--whether it be Spinoza or Norman Geisler--ought to match up with what the Bible says.

Spinoza was not a Christian! At least, not in the sense that you would call him a Christian. ( Who knows what conversations he had with God before he died.) But for the sake of argument, he was an excommunicated Jew, who could not accept the story of the resurrection of Christ. So, you would toss him out, just like many other Christians I have encountered. That is okay, Jay, you do what you have to do, but I love Spinoza, and I would bet you a mountain top that God does too, and this scientist/philosopher inspires me to have the courage to be more like Jesus taught. Is that too strange?

JCarl: Oh indeed, but we can say, through any hardship,:"I know that my redeemer lives, and that at the end He shall stand upon the Earth. And even though my body is destroyed, yet in this flesh I will see God.

True we can, but we may not! Speak carefully; you probably have many decades ahead of you. I can tell you this: Those were not exactly my words when my young son was killed. It was more like, “Hey, God! I am hurting big time. Help me here, because I do not understand this at all.” Nothing to brag about, right? That is okay, I heard often about those who had the faith to accept this or that. How nice for them! It had nothing to do with my faith. I missed my kid, and had not finished raising him. It was awful, and I told God. That was the beginning of so much enlightenment. Not because Mike died, but because I had had enough of the pious nonsense of Christendom, and asked God to help me be true, real, honest and non-compromising. So, indirectly, his death brought life of a kind. It took a while, and Spinoza helped so much, even though his words did not come until about five years later, but when they did, I was ready. In the meantime I had acquainted myself with The Story of Philosophy, by Will Durant. Great book. It helped me understand and love people, without judging.

JCarl writes: Then what are we to make of the Judgement? What are we to make of Lazarus the rich man and Luke 16:19-31(Which doesn't seem like a parable.)? What leads you to think that eternal Hell is metaphorical?

Can we save this for a while? It is not a simple matter. Thanks.

So, you like ending with a verse. Here is one of my favorites, and has been since I was fourteen. See what you think.

“Now Joshua was old and stricken in years; and the Lord said unto him, Thou art old and stricken in years, and there remaineth yet very much land to be possessed.” For what ever reason, that verse had a real impact, even at that young age.

So! until next time…………….Maureecie says goodnight.

"If you're religious, do you feel that you have a duty to try to convince other people to join your faith? Why, or why not? Is it more important to convert non-believers, or people of other religions?

If you're atheist or agnostic, do you feel it is your duty to try to bring the religious around to your point of view? Why, or why not?"

It is my duty as a follower of the Messiah Jesus to tell all about Him. it is not my responsibility to make anyone believe. If one is convinced in the truth of the Messiah Jesus then it is their individual decision.

The reason is two fold.

1) Followers of the Messiah Jesus have been instructed to deliver the Message of the Messiah through out the world to all whom will listen.

2) As a follower of the Messiah Jesus i am forgiven all my sins and will spend eternity with the God of Abraham. The other eternal destination is the lake of fire a place of suffering and torment. As a saved human being i wish for all people to have the same chance to be forgiven and join me in eternity with the God of Abraham.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

P. M. Thorne said:
M*W Hey! Be nice. I do not quote scriptures to you, because, for one reason at least, I know you would be offended. Your naughty words to not upset me, because you write such good thoughts sometimes, and words are nothing in themselves.

I had to smile when I saw your post. Glad to see you are still around. Truly.

pmt
M*W: Ya know, PMT, sometimes I get so annoyed with Christians that my mouth takes off without my brain. I can be a moody person. Sometimes I'm in the "evil Christian persecution" mode. Other times I'm in the "persecuting evil Christians" mode. When I'm in my best of moods, I'm usually at Barnes&Noble reading up on the latest publications the reasons why we should continue to persecute evil Christianity. It is truly my passion in life, oh, heck, let's just call the "The Passion of the Medicine*Woman." It keeps me quite occupied and content.

Hey, you're okay M*W. We all need to get it all out; this is what I do when something bothers me. The difference is I write it and then edit out anything that sounds overtly offensive, but that is just me. You cannot imagine how many times I bite my tongue when I am responding. I am just like everyone else, opinionated and flawed, but you probably already knew that.

Thank you for responding. Chow for now! -- pmt

Duty to Convert?

I don't feel I have a duty to convert people to my beliefs. Why? Because nobody knows the true inner workings of life, the spiritual realm, or anything else beyond our mental capacity. So why should I preach beliefs that are most likely going to be wrong? All I would be doing is adding more crazy beliefs in the religious chaos that exists today. We have many mainstream, and cult, religions today because people are following other people's beliefs and not their own. And since no person is anymore right or wrong in their beliefs towards truth, people should just follow what's within their own heart, so long as it doesn't unwillingly affect others in a harmful manner.

Go out and be a free-thinker,

- N

Neildo; You say you do not want to add to the confusion. Well, then what was that, other than a mix of nonsense and good sense? What is that but an effort to pursuade others to think like you?

You wrote: We have many mainstream, and cult, religions today because people are following other people's beliefs and not their own.

I view that statement as insightful and helpful. If I have a particular message, it is -Search, read, listen and ponder, but do not let others think for you. Therefore, it seems that we are in agreement here, and it is such a good point that you made.

You wrote: All I would be doing is adding more crazy beliefs in the religious chaos that exists today. We have many mainstream........

Would you? Well, that would not be good.

You wrote: Because nobody knows the true inner workings of life, the spiritual realm, or anything else beyond our mental capacity.

What do you consider our "mental" capacity? Do you presume that brain and mind are one and the same, and that spirit and soul are just other ways of expressing our mental capacity.

You wrote: And since no person is anymore right or wrong in their beliefs towards truth, ....

What kind of a statement is that? Surely, you do not mean this.

Neildo said:
Duty to Convert?

I don't feel I have a duty to convert people to my beliefs. Why? Because nobody knows the true inner workings of life, the spiritual realm, or anything else beyond our mental capacity. So why should I preach beliefs that are most likely going to be wrong? All I would be doing is adding more crazy beliefs in the religious chaos that exists today. We have many mainstream, and cult, religions today because people are following other people's beliefs and not their own. And since no person is anymore right or wrong in their beliefs towards truth, people should just follow what's within their own heart, so long as it doesn't unwillingly affect others in a harmful manner.

Go out and be a free-thinker,
M*W: First, they must be de-converted so they can find the truth for themselves.

Back