Crazy things famous Christians say

Magical Realist,

So for you it's not a choice, but that's not true of everyone.

For the vast majority of people, sexuality is not a choice either. Heterosexuals do not go around claiming that they CHOSE to be attracted to the opposite gender as opposed to the same gender. And neither do gay people. Science as well supports this experience:

"Though researchers generally believe that sexual orientation is not determined by any one factor but by a combination of genetic, hormonal, and environmental influences, with biological factors involving a complex interplay of genetic factors and the early uterine environment, they favor biological models for the cause. They believe that sexual orientation is not a choice, and some of them believe that it is established at conception. That is, individuals do not choose to be homosexual, heterosexual, bisexual, or asexual.---http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_orientation

I don't deem them sexual orientations, I only use the terminology for these types of discussions.

You recognize heterosexuality and homosexuality and bisexuality but deny they are orientations? On what basis?

Here is a definition from the Oxford English dictionary on being attracted to...
...(be attracted to) Have a sexual or romantic interest in: Now for me, the keyword in there is interest. I find one definition which captures my position, The feeling of wanting to know or learn about something or someone: So it's not necessarily choosing to be romantically, or sexually involved straight off the bat. It can be about liking the person,and choosing to take things slow or fast.

You can choose to take things slow or fast, but you can't choose to be sexually or romantically attracted to someone. It's based on your sexual orientation, which is a permanent part of who you are.

It is possible to find someone attractive without being attracted to them.

LOL! Verbal salad again..

Heterosexuality is nothing but a word that describes sexuality between males and females, distinguishing it from homosexuality.

It is defined as a sexual orientation. Look it up in Wikipedia.

I just see the whole thing as sexual attraction without any designations. You have sex with men, and I have sex with my wife, some may choose to have sex with dogs and horses, some may choose to have sex with children and so on.

Choosing to have sex with someone isn't choosing to be sexually attracted to them. The attraction preexists the action, and is not chosen at any point.

Magical Realist,

For the vast majority of people, sexuality is not a choice either.

How do you know this?

Heterosexuals do not go around claiming that they CHOSE to be attracted to the opposite gender as opposed to the same gender. And neither do gay people.

Because there is no need to (for heterosexuals).

You recognize heterosexuality and homosexuality and bisexuality but deny they are orientations? On what basis?

On the basis that there is no need to.
If someone told me they had sex last night, I do not need anymore information to understand what they meant bu that statement.

You can choose to take things slow or fast, but you can't choose to be attracted to someone. It's based on your sexual orientation, which is a permanent part of who you are.

I disagree. It is entirely possible to lose interest in sexual attraction if you want to. It is no different than giving up smoking, or eating chocolate. Admittedly it can be a difficult proccess depending on ones state of mind, but definitely not impossible.

It is possible to find someone attractive without being attracted to them.

LOL! Verbal salad again..

How so?

Heterosexuality is nothing but a word that describes sexuality between males and females, distinguishing it from homosexuality.

It is defined as a sexual orientation. Look it up in Wikipedia.

I didn't say it wasn't defined as such, but the meaning of the word is as I stated.

Choosing to have sex with someone isn't choosing to be sexually attracted to them. The attraction preexists the action, and is not chosen at any point.

That is your present experience, not mine.

jan.

How do you know this?

I already said why.

"Heterosexuals do not go around claiming that they CHOSE to be attracted to the opposite gender as opposed to the same gender. And neither do gay people."

Do you know anyone who believes they chose to be heterosexual over being homosexual? Or that they chose to be gay over being straight? I don't. That would assume everybody is bisexual, a claim that just isn't supported by the facts.

Also the science is clear on this. Orientation is biologically-caused, not chosen.

On the basis that there is no need to.
If someone told me they had sex last night, I do not need anymore information to understand what they meant bu that statement.

Your need not to know people's orientations doesn't constitute evidence for the non-existence of such. We have people of heterosexual orientations, and gay orientations, and bisexual orientations. That's just a fact of the world, whether you want to know it or not.

I disagree. It is entirely possible to lose interest in sexual attraction if you want to. It is no different than giving up smoking, or eating chocolate. Admittedly it can be a difficult proccess depending on ones state of mind, but definitely not impossible.

It's possible to lose your sex drive, but not because you choose to. Loss of sex drive is usually a sign of some other physical condition-impotence, frigidity, medication side effects, hormonal deficiencies due to aging, sickness, alcohol, or depression. And no, losing your sex drive doesn't mean you chose to stop being sexually oriented to a particular gender. Your orientation is still the same even though you lost your sex drive.

Last edited:

And you know this because you worked very hard to get rid of your homosexual thoughts, right?

billvon,

He did. Attractiveness is measured via involuntary sexual arousal when presented with heterosexual vs homosexual situations and imagery.

I agree that is one aspect of it regardless of homo/hetero-sexual leanings, but not the entire spectrum. Humans do not have to be controlled by their sexual urges, they can, if they want, be in control of them.

If someone experiences no arousal when presented with images of the opposite sex, but does experience arousal when presented with images of the same sex, then they are not naturally attracted to the opposite sex. (To put it another way, the opposite sex is not attractive to them.)

They don't have to look at images in that way if they don't want to.
In a society which is completely obsessed with sex, it's not an easy thing to do, but it's not impossible.

jan.

Magical Realist,

I already said why.

"Heterosexuals do not go around claiming that they CHOSE to be attracted to the opposite gender as opposed to the same gender. And neither do gay people."

Why should ''heterosexuals feel the need to explain anything about their so called heterosexual-ism?

Homosexuals are the ones that need to justify their actions, and the reasons they are the way they are, in a bid to normalize them. ''Heterosexual-ism'' being the model of normality. :)

Do you know anyone who believes they chose to be heterosexual over being homosexual? Or that they chose to be gay over being straight? I don't. That would assume everybody is bisexual, a claim that just isn't supported by the facts.

Anyone can choose who they desire to have sex with. Realistically there is no need for different denominations. It's just basically satisfying your urge how you want to. Sexuality is the capacity for sexual feelings (first and foremost).

Also the science is clear on this. Orientation is biologically-caused, not chosen.

Science is not clear on it.

Your need not to know people's orientations doesn't constitute evidence for the non-existence of such. We have people of heterosexual orientations, and gay orientations, and bisexual orientations. That's just a fact of the world, whether you want to know it or not.

It shows that it matters not. It's been made to look important, but it really isn't.

It's possible to lose your sex drive, but not because you choose to.

I'm not talking about sex drive, I'm talking about interest.

Loss of sex drive is usually a sign of some other physical condition-impotence, frigidity, medication side effects, hormonal deficiencies due to aging, sickness, alcohol, or depression.

You forgot to mention lack of interest.

jan.

Why are you trying to link me into that?

jan.
I assume that your statements about choice are from your own choices.

If, however, you have never faced the choice about rejecting your attraction to men, then it seems like you made no real choice in the matter, yet you assume that others are importantly different from you.

Magical Realist,

Why should ''heterosexuals feel the need to explain anything about their so called heterosexual-ism?

That has nothing to do with it. It's simply a fact that people identify as heterosexual or homosexual or bisexual, and do so all the time.

Homosexuals are the ones that need to justify their actions, and the reasons they are the way they are, in a bid to normalize them. ''Heterosexual-ism'' being the model of normality.

Gay people don't have to justify anything. They are who they are, just like heterosexuals, which is the essence of being normal.

Anyone can choose who they desire to have sex with. Realistically there is no need for different denominations. It's just basically satisfying your urge how you want to. Sexuality is the capacity for sexual feelings (first and foremost).

You can't choose which gender you are attracted to. I've already said this several times.

Science is not clear on it.

Care to quote some science articles showing it is a choice?

According to the American Psychological Association:

"Most scientists today agree that sexual orientation is most likely the result of a complex interaction of environmental, cognitive, and biological factors . . . ; human beings cannot choose to be either gay or straight. For most people, sexual orientation emerges in early adolescence without any prior sexual experience. Although we can choose whether to act on our feelings, psychologists do not consider sexual orientation to be a conscious choice that can be voluntarily changed." - See more at: http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/art...ot-through-psychotherapy#sthash.hnjTZvem.dpuf

It shows that it matters not. It's been made to look important, but it really isn't.

Orientation is important enough apparently to some people to discriminate because of it. When I was in the Navy in the 90's I could've been discharged if I had admitted I was gay. So you are wrong. It DOES matter in this world.

I'm not talking about sex drive, I'm talking about interest.

Same thing.

Last edited:
PhysBang,

I assume that your statements about choice are from your own choices.

Why on earth would you do that?
No need to look any further than people like Cynthia Nixon, or the pop geezer out of the band, 'Blue'.

If, however, you have never faced the choice about rejecting your attraction to men, then it seems like you made no real choice in the matter, yet you assume that others are importantly different from you.

This doesn't make sense to me.

jan,

I agree that is one aspect of it regardless of homo/hetero-sexual leanings, but not the entire spectrum. Humans do not have to be controlled by their sexual urges, they can, if they want, be in control of them.
Agreed. Indeed, 99.9% of people (including heterosexuals, bisexuals and homosexuals) are.
They don't have to look at images in that way if they don't want to.
Of course. These were people who volunteered to look at images for the purpose of science.

billvon,

So you agree that attraction between humans is not limited to 'sexual attraction'. Good.

Indeed, 99.9% of people (including heterosexuals, bisexuals and homosexuals) are.

In control of their sexual urges? In a sex obsessed society?

Of course. These were people who volunteered to look at images for the purpose of science.

???

jan.

Back