Canned Hunting

There is never a guarantee an animal is killed instantly anywhere. Even in a slaughterhouse.
If performed properly the animals are killed instantly. At least the chance of them being killed instantly is much higher.

And my family always enjoyed hunting. They went out as a family, they stalked the animal. They lost more animals than they shot. It's the thrill of the hunt, like treasure hunting. I could never do it, but I understand it. Hell yeah they enjoyed it. I don't know of any hunters who don't. :shrug:
Guess who else went out as a family..
Did shot animals sometimes get away ?
Of course hunters love to kill, otherwise why would they do it.

You act like the hunters enjoy torturing the animal and are psychopaths.
Don't know about them being psychopaths but they certainly couldn't give a shit whether the animals end up being tortured. Either that or they are dumbfucks, no offense..

Yea, dream on. Often the animals are not killed instantly, especially when it's amateurs doing the shooting.

Yeah, but they're not tortured as Sam would indicate.

??? I don't understand that.

According to Sam, it's okay to kill animals for food and money, but it is barbaric to kill them for fun. :rolleyes:

Yeah, but they're not tortured as Sam would indicate.

I'd say it would qualify as torture if you have to shoot the animal several times to kill it.
Some hunters don't kill it with their guns on purpose and only wound it badly so they can kill the animal with their knife. I have seen this on a documentary once..

I'd say it would qualify as torture if you have to shoot the animal several times to kill it.
Some hunters don't kill it with their guns on purpose and only wound it badly so they can kill the animal with their knife. I have seen this on a documentary once..

It's not torture, Enmos. The animals die quickly after being shot, if not instantly.

On topic, however, I strongly disagree with "Canned Hunting", as I've said before. It is just a little annoying to hear people criticize these hunters for killing animals in the name of sport when they themselves kill animals for the sake of money.

It's not torture, Enmos. The animals die quickly after being shot, if not instantly.

On topic, however, I strongly disagree with "Canned Hunting", as I've said before. It is just a little annoying to hear people criticize these hunters for killing animals in the name of sport when they themselves kill animals for the sake of money.

Well, nobody is completely free of hypocrisy.. not even you ;)
The thing about this 'Canned hunting' is that it's completely amoral.

I'd say it would qualify as torture if you have to shoot the animal several times to kill it.....

So people should be born knowing how to kill an animal. You can target practice all you want but there are so many variables. <sigh>
I just don't see how its viewed as torture. I always thought torture was done on purpose.

So people should be born knowing how to kill an animal. You can target practice all you want but there are so many variables. <sigh>
I just don't see how its viewed as torture. I always thought torture was done on purpose.

Are you saying they hunt by accident. If you can't be certain you kill it instantly, you shouldn't be killing at all. And even then, you just don't kill for fun.

If someone just enjoyed killing animals they would not hunt to do it. Way too little of that enjoyment, for the effort spent.

Hunting is not killing - and this canned stuff is not hunting. It is arranged killing, and that's what's wrong and different about it.

SAM said:
By that logic, a doctor who autopsies people should condone cutting up people for fun?
I once heard a doctor explain why she didn't go into surgery as a specialty: it was because, unlike a good surgeon, she did not enjoy the feel of a knife cutting into living flesh.

Canned hunting facilities, also known as hunting ranches or trophy ranches, are acreages enclosed by high, game-proof fences. For a fee, “hunters” can kill the animals held captive there. The facilities range in size from ten acres to several hundred acres. It is estimated that there are currently over 4,000 hunting ranches in the United States.

Many of these facilities offer a “no-kill, no-fee” policy. Animals in these facilities range from domestic species of game birds, deer and elk, to exotic species such as Russian boar, wildebeest, and zebra. Hunters of all skill levels are welcome and offered a choice of weapons; guns, bow and arrow, and in some cases, spears.

Some facilities offer guides who will go out on ATVs, find the quarry, and drive the animals into the line-of-sight of the hunters. In other cases, tree stands or blinds are set up near feeding stations-you simply wait for the species of your choice to walk by. In some facilities, the animals are drugged.

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2007/12/12/231732.php

People are sick

Hunting club:
http://www.safariclub.org/

American Humane Society article
http://www.hsus.org/wildlife/stop_canned_hunts/

Many people in society have an urge to kill things. These hunting clubs are a great outlet for such people. Personally I think it is sick to not give people outlets for their psychological needs.

You act like the hunters enjoy torturing the animal and are psychopaths.

Hmm so in your opinion stalking an animal for fun and shooting them is normal behaviour?

So if you saw a man pop around the corner with a gun, and he shot a dog which he had been stalking, you'd consider it perfectly normal?

I once heard a doctor explain why she didn't go into surgery as a specialty: it was because, unlike a good surgeon, she did not enjoy the feel of a knife cutting into living flesh.

That sounds right to me. I've done minor surgeries on rats and believe me, a live rat under anesthesia is scary, because you're wondering if he'll wake up or (if you've misjudged the anesthesia) if he won't.

Its way easier to put down a rat with gas, chop off it's head with a guillotine and separate the various parts. You don't have to keep checking (and worrying) if he will survive your experiment.

Lets turn it around and see.

Lets imagine you are placed in an enclosure, where the fence is electrified. You are then denied necessary food and water, to weaken your body. After a few days, a bunch of people enter the enclosure with guns, with the sole purpose of hunting you for sport. You try to run and hide, but there is nowhere for you to go. So they casually walk around, guns at the ready, looking for you. You keep thinking to yourself that you need to do something, but cannot. You are no longer physically able to fight them, since the lack of food has lessened your strength. You can't climb the fence, as doing so will cause you pain, if not death. They then catch up with you and put a bullet in your leg. Just to slow you down a bit. You keep trying to run, but the pain is excruciating. So they casually follow your blood trail and decide to end it, thereby putting a bullet in your head.

Or lets imagine this scenario (also used in game hunting)..

You are in the wild. Then a couple of men decide to chase you with a gun or spear. They don't shoot you. Just chase you down for days on end. This is to tire you. You don't have time to eat or drink. When they catch up with you, they might cut one of the tendons in your legs... just so you slow down a bit. After several days of this, you find they are replaced with hunters, who then take pot shots at you as you flail about in pain and exhaustion. They finally take you down, after you cannot run any more.

You don't view either of those scenario's as torture? Hunting like this is done on purpose. It is done for a game and for sport. And it is one of the most depraved things a human being is capable of.

Ugh I did not even know all these details. And I stay up nights after poking rats in their legs for a glucose tolerance test. :bawl:

so wild game has human emotion and human feelings.
Is it torture for them to be hunted by a bear or wolf? or only humans?

Lets just say I don't have to be human to feel the pain of being tortured for fun.

From the commencement of the hunting season in November to its end in April, fox hunters terrorize the fox population, in hunts which typically last from late morning to tea time. Chased by numerous hunters and hounds, and often, radio-equipped trucks for tracking, the fox usually dies an agonizing death after hours of pursuit. As a group called "earthstoppers" usually fill every visible fox hole the night before the hunt, the hunted fox has no means of escape, and is forced to flee until exhaustion. Hunting hounds are bred for endurance, not speed, which means that each fox hunt can last as long as two hours, until the fox is finally seized, and if lucky, shot, before being thrown to the hounds. Sometimes, the fox is literally eaten alive by the dogs, torn to pieces, with the tail, feet and head usually taken as trophy. Some hunts still engage in the practice of "blooding," where the foxes' blood is smeared on the faces of those witnessing their first kill, usually children.

http://www.arkonline.com/foxhunt.html

A bear or a wolf will chase down an animal until it tires, and then kill it quickly for food. A bear or a wolf cannot carry on a chase for too long, since the amount of energy it burns is detrimental to them.

A bear or a wolf will not toy with their kill for days on end for their own sadistic pleasure. Nor will a bear or a wolf pose for photos with their kills, and then have it packed up and shipped to a taxidermist to have it stuffed so they can mount its head on a wall, or have it standing in their trophy room.

Back