Atheists

draqon said:
one word: proof?
Reason. Unless there is an ultimate source we have an endless infinite progression of sources. So to stop the progression we need an Ultimate source. But i dont know what the source is. It could be our universe itself, It could be the multiverse hell it could be god.

spiritual_spy said:
Reason. Unless there is an ultimate source we have an endless infinite progression of sources. So to stop the progression we need an Ultimate source. But i dont know what the source is. It could be our universe itself, It could be the multiverse hell it could be god.

or it could be an apple tree. the source of all apples, that ultimately become apple pies. Most apple pies with worms in them...so that they are thrown out.

...in parallel with worthless worlds...

...................... well, then that means... time for me to do something less strenues on the mind.

I think I am going to play some Sonic The Hedgehog. Goodnight everyone, and thnx for the input. My conclusion, I still believen God.

Goodnight.

Regulus said:
...................... well, then that means... time for me to do something less strenues on the mind.

I think I am going to play some Sonic The Hedgehog. Goodnight everyone, and thnx for the input.

nighty.

I cannot relate to the concept of God as more than a relic of human ignorance. The persistence of which is proof that we really are dumb enough to actively engage in self-destructive behaviors. At almost every level of the social unit this can be observed. The God concept is just the ultimate manifestation of this flaw.

Teg said:
I cannot relate to the concept of God as more than a relic of human ignorance. The persistence of which is proof that we really are dumb enough to actively engage in self-destructive behaviors. At almost every level of the social unit this can be observed. The God concept is just the ultimate manifestation of this flaw.

I do not have a problem with people believing in God or not, it is just the REASONS they give are just horrid.

Do you even have a clue why people believe in a high being? Do you even know how it started?

draqon said:
And the chemical of love is hormone oxytocin. All we are biochemical machines...all our emotions...especially love...are chemical reactions.

dragon are you pulling my leg??? do you know what oxytocin is????????

It is a hormone which causes "let down" as in let down of milk from the breast (aka lactation) and contraction of the uterus (aka labor). its the hormone given to women to induce labor when they are over term.

Either u are pulling my leg or someone has been pulling yours ;)

spiritual_spy said:
that works aswell. :D

My dear you have not been around that long but religions have, in one form or another. Who's to say there was evidence or not??

samcdkey said:

It is a hormone which causes "let down" as in let down of milk from the breast (aka lactation) and contraction of the uterus (aka labor). its the hormone given to women to induce labor when they are over term.

Either u are pulling my leg or someone has been pulling yours ;)

chemicals such as oxytocin has many functions, including inducing a feeling of love. Thats how simplistic this universe really is...all is just chemical reactions and the feelings of devine and love are just as simple as any other chemical reaction.

dragon, chemicals are one aspect of feeling (they have to work some way), but that fact doesn't make the universe any simpler. The mechanism doesn't make the system. You might say all cars come down to an internal combustion engine, but you can't say that's all there is to a car. If everything came down to chemical reactions, all doctors, psychiatrists, counsellors, cosmologist, mathematicians and physicists would end up becoming chemists.

Jenyar said:
dragon, chemicals are one aspect of feeling (they have to work some way), but that fact doesn't make the universe any simpler. If that were so, all doctors, psychiatrists, counsellors, cosmologist, mathematicians and physicists would end up becoming chemists.

People love living in their illusions and to no avail, these illusions helped humans to survive. Can't run forever from reality thou.

draqon said:
People love living in their illusions and to no avail, these illusions helped humans to survive. Can't run forever from reality thou.
I agree. So does that mean you'll let go of the illusion that everything comes down to chemical reactions? That's the kind of thinking that solves every problem with prozac and ritalin.

Jenyar said:
I agree. So does that mean you'll let go of the illusion that everything comes down to chemical reactions? That's the kind of thinking that solves every problem with prozac and ritalin.

"natural" chemical reactions only.

samcdkey, am done here. I'm losing I.Q points debating theses clowns.

AAF, keeps posting the same old same old links over and over again, we saw them the first time and dismissed them as the useless shit they were worth.

And I leave you with a quote, as your clue meter is reading "zero" lets see if this registers.

Debating against him is no fun, say something insulting and he looks at you like a whipped dog.
- Harold Wilson

While that's correct, it does slightly more than that. Read New Scientist 2553, (if I remember correctly). I'll get hold of the article for you.

Teg said:
That's because of peoples flawed idea's on God. Truely such a being with unconditional love does not wish to implicate such things as crucades.

People believening God is not the problem here, it's their ideas on what they think is the right things to do. Personally I don't think God wishes to force us to do anything really.

Muslim said:
samcdkey, am done here. I'm losing I.Q points debating theses clowns. AAF, keeps posting the same old same old links over and over again, we saw them the first time and dismissed them as the useless shit they were worth. And I leave you with a quote, as your clue meter is reading "zero" lets see if this registers. Debating against him is no fun, say something insulting and he looks at you like a whipped dog.
- Harold Wilson

:D

Therefore, you are Proud_Syrian!
http://www.sciforums.com/printthread.php?t=30319
And you cannot afford to be cool,
when you (old buffoon) open this:
http://www.zombietime.com/mohammed_image_archive/dantes_inferno/

:m:

Last edited:
Muslim said:
samcdkey, am done here. I'm losing I.Q points debating theses clowns.

AAF, keeps posting the same old same old links over and over again, we saw them the first time and dismissed them as the useless shit they were worth.

And I leave you with a quote, as your clue meter is reading "zero" lets see if this registers.

Debating against him is no fun, say something insulting and he looks at you like a whipped dog.
- Harold Wilson

Well here is a gift from me, for you :)

He drew a circle that shut me out--
Heretic, rebel, a thing to flout.
But Love and I had the wit to win:
We drew a circle that took him in!

"Outwitted" by Edwin Markham

This is the simplist and most beautiful philosophy, when dealing with people.

Just tell yourself, "What would I do if this man (e.g. AAF) was my younger brother, someone who was close to me but had chosen a different way of life?
You would not abuse him or consider him an enemy, would you?
You'd try to understand what he thinks, why he believes what he does and though initially it may be hard to reconcile your beliefs with his, ultimately you would say, Never mind, he is my brother, after all so I will not be against him.

That is what I want for you.

"Compassion represents the true spirit of Islam and is vital to Islamic teachings. Compassion means sensitivity to the condition or state of all creation, ie: human beings as well as animals and plants. A person cannot be compassionate unless he/she is sensitive to others’ needs and conditions.

There are certain key words in the Qur’an that are often repeated i.e. rahmah (compassion), ihsân (benevolence) ‘adl (justice), and hikmah (wisdom). Rahmah (compassion, mercy) and its roots abound in the Holy Qur’an. Among Allah’s own names are Rahmân and Rahîm (Compassionate and Merciful). A Muslim begins everything by reciting Bismillah al-Rahmân al-Rahîm (i.e. begin in the name of Allah Who is Compassionate and Merciful). Thus a Muslim is supposed to invoke Allah the Compassionate and Merciful at every step.

The first chapter of the Qur’an carries this message of compassion when it describes Allah as ‘Rabb al-‘Alamin’ (i.e. Sustainer of the universe). The concept of sustenance is based on His Mercy and Compassion for everything He has created. In fact rahmah is so central to Allah’s existence that it embraces all that exists in the universe (wasi`at kulla shayin) 40:7.

God sent His Messenger Muhammad (saw) as the ‘Mercy to the world’ (21:107), representing universal mercy. As the Messenger of Allah he is representative of His Mercy and is known as rahmata lil `alamin (mercy of the worlds). A true follower of the Prophet (PBUH) has to be merciful and compassionate to the extent humanly possible."

The Qur’an uses the word ‘rahm’ (mercy, compassion) repeatedly. This word and its various derivatives have been used more than 326 times. According to ‘Mufradat al-Qur’an’ by Imam Raghib, an authentic dictionary of the Qur’anic terms, ‘rahmah’ means softening of heart towards one who deserves our mercy and induces us to do good to him/her. It is interesting to note that the womb of mother is also called rahm. A mother is always very soft towards her children and showers love and affection on them.

The Qur’an also says that the believers (Múminûn) are merciful to each other. Allah is referred to as Rahîm and Rahmân. According to Mufradat of Imam Raghib, Rahmân is one whose mercy encompasses all, not all human beings but the entire creation. Thus only Allah can be Rahmân, no one else. We human beings have our own limitations. We love our fellow religionists more than those belonging to other religious groups; we love those speaking our own tongue more than those speaking other tongues and we love human beings more than the animals.

But it is not so with Allah. Allah loves and showers His Mercy equally on all. And if we are really worshippers of Allah we too should not make such distinctions. We should love all human beings equally whether they belong to our religion or not, whether they speak our tongue or not and whether they have the same skin color as we have or not. If Allah is Rahmân (Compassionate) to all; we, His servants should try to imitate Him as much as we can. True ‘ibâdah (worship) can be claimed only when we try to imbibe elements of His attributes.

Thus a real Muslim is one who despite being firm in his/her faith tradition shows equal love and compassion for all human beings whether they belong to his faith tradition or not. Every faith tradition is unique and should be recognized as such and should not become a tool of discrimination. The Qur’an itself declares that all human beings, all children of Adam have been honored equally (17:70). There is no justification in showing any discrimination on the basis of faith as far as the Qur’an is concerned.

Allah is Rahman (Compassionate) as he provides for everyone, regardless of their faith. It is said that the Prophet Ibrahim (Abraham) would not eat unless there was some guest on his table. Once it so happened that there did not come any guest and Prophet Abraham was hungry. Abraham went out in search of a guest and he found a very old man in the nearby forest. He invited the old man to dine with him and the man agreed and started out with Abraham. On the way Abraham asked him about his religion and he said I am an atheist. Prophet Abraham was angry and cancelled his invitation. When he did so he heard a voice from above: ‘O Abraham We tolerated him (the old man) for seventy years despite his disbelief and you could not tolerate him for seven minutes?’ Abraham repented and took the old man home for dining.

The lesson is clear: what to believe and who is right and who is wrong should be left to Allah rather than our weak judgment. Our judgment is often influenced by several factors including our ego, our interests, our beliefs, color of our skin and our ethnicity. Allah alone can judge most impartially. Thus our respect for others and our compassion should not be meant for limited number of groups. It should be as wide in sweep as possible.

When the Qur’an refers to weaker sections it does not qualify it with Muslim, it refers to all human beings. And all of them are equally entitled to our compassion and Allah’s mercy, no less, no more. The Qur’an does not use words like Muslim orphans, Muslim widows or Muslim slaves. It uses these words in general without any qualification whatsoever. Similarly the Qur’an does not use any qualification for the powerful and arrogant. They can belong to any religion, race or ethnicity.

The Qur’an’s attitude is so compassionate towards all human beings that even in the matter of wasiyyah (i.e. making a will) it advises that if apart from your relatives, someone needy is present at that time, make some provision for them also. The Qur’an uses the word sadaqah for charity, which is derived from the root sidq, which means truthfulness. Real charity (sadaqah) is one that is given with sincerity and truthfulness. Anything that is given to show off, or not with sincere and compassionate intention, does not qualify as sadaqah. Only that feeling qualifies for compassion, which moves our heart for suffering of others and that motivates us to help others. Thus the use of the word sadaqah for charity is very significant. It is the condition of a human person, rather than his/her religion that should move us to help. Compassion is the best quality one can have towards other creatures, particularly towards other human beings and animals. It is suffering which is most fundamental not one's religion, language or race.

A Qur’anic verse that describes some of the qualities of a believer says, “ Those who spend in ease as well as in adversity and those who restrain anger and pardon men. And Allah loves doers of good.” (3:133).

Thus it will be seen that those who control their anger and pardon others and do good to others are those whom Allah loves. And these qualities are very much the basis of compassion. Anger and violence are always denounced by Allah. They are the opposite of compassion. One of Allah’s name is Ghafûr i.e. one who pardons, one who is not revengeful. A compassionate person can never be revengeful.

Thus one can conclude from closer study of Qur'an and hadith that compassion is the best human quality and no one deserves to be human unless he is compassionate. Thus it is quite central to the teachings of Islam.

Back