Atheists

superluminal said:
Yes it is.

Also, "coming out" as an atheist is definitely dangerous in a rural, fundamentalist christian area such as where I live. It would make my life difficult to say the least. Which is one of the ironies of so-called christian behavior. Love thy neighbor, as long as he's a christian. Go figure.
Looks like im not the only one who gets the fundies. What state do you live in SL?

I'm in south-central PA. Amish country. Apparently also home of the "Where Will You Spend ETERNITY? Heaven or HELL???" sign company. :D

superluminal said:
I'm in south-central PA. Amish country. Apparently also home of the "Where Will You Spend ETERNITY? Heaven or HELL???" sign company. :D

Poor you :(

Ok question:

What keeps the atheists from getting togther and claiming their right to non-belief?

superluminal said:
ouch....i thought i had it bad. :eek:
NE Georgia.

What keeps the atheists from getting togther and claiming their right to non-belief?
Define "right". Most of the people I know that believe in "rights" (as opposed to legal privileges) declare that they're god-given = I have a god-given right to not believe in god. WTF? :eek:
The law (and society in general) in the UK at least does not distinguish between believers and non-believers that I've noticed, so there's no need to claim anything.

samcdkey said:
Ok question:

Oh nothing! There are atheist organizations all over the country. I'm a member of PAN (PA Nonbelievers). It's just that in US society and politics, atheism is seen as somewhat worse than devil worship combined with child molesting and cat-flinging. What did George bush senior say? Something like we shouldn't even be considered citizens? Yeah. Right.

Oli said:
Define "right". Most of the people I know that believe in "rights" (as opposed to legal privileges) declare that they're god-given = I have a god-given right to not believe in god. WTF? :eek:
The law (and society in general) in the UK at least does not distinguish between believers and non-believers that I've noticed, so there's no need to claim anything.
you are lucky. in the US they think that atheists shouldnt even be considered citizens. And most of the time if you are known as an atheist you will probably get propert damage. :eek:

spiritual_spy said:
you are lucky. in the US they think that atheists shouldnt even be considered citizens. And most of the time if you are known as an atheist you will probably get propert damage. :eek:
There's a false dogmatic perception in many of the citizens that the U.S was founded on Christianity.

Regulus said:
There's a false dogmatic perception in many of the citizens that the U.S was founded on Christianity.

Didn't the original settlers escape religious persecution from the British? I forget their affiliation

samcdkey said:
Didn't the original settlers escape religious persecution from the British? I forget their affiliation
Indeed, they sought the U.S to escape Religious corruption and terany.

And it sickens me how some Christians wish to rewrite history and claim that just because the founders were Religious, they can infer that this country is a theocracy.

samcdkey said:
Well, the founding fathers were what some call "deists" I guess. They clearly believed in some higher being in the universe but it certainly was not any traditional "god". They also recognized the absolute need to seperate the government from religious influence. They knew the history of theocracies. All bad.

superluminal said:
I'm none too happy with any of the recent crop of "leaders" we have to choose from.
yep thats one reason once im old enough and have enough cash im going to australia. (From what ive read australia is pretty secular and its got some nice land :p )

Back