Atheists: Get A Life!!!!!

Notes Around

Liebling said:

What kind of world could we have without religion?

As an absolute condition, you're out of luck. Human beings will never do away wholly with religion. History presents us with examples of what happens when the state becomes the focus of such zeal. And, hell, if you live in a baseball town ....

As long as there are mysteries to answer about Life, the Universe, and Everything, human beings will idealize, and even idolize them.

• • •​

Swivel said:

I wouldn't be allowed near Mecca as an atheist. The Muslim faith is largely based on the conversion or death of infidels. Their behavior leads me to believe that this ideology is still a focus today. A Muslim telling the world to get along makes me throw up in my mouth.

Ah. So S.A.M. is culpable for what happens in, oh, I don't know, say, Iran?

People that feign ignorance about what I meant make me laugh. :p

Actually, it seemed the polite thing to do, rather than to simply presume what you meant. Especially when the presumption casts you in a reprehensible light.

So, indeed, I greatly appreciate you clearing that up.

• • •​

PsychoTropicPuppy said:

attack? i saw attack against atheists? right, we're even.

To reiterate:

I don't see how the specific of being Muslim has anything to do with the discussion. Theist? Sure. Monotheist? Most definitely. But Muslim? In response to the proposition of "embracing the concept of coexistence"?​

besides, why should a religious receive unadulterated and unquestioning respect ....

Who says they should?

i don't think that it's grotesque nor stupid.

Obviously.

i merely pointed out that not all muslims are the way they're being described by the media, etc. ...

The media? Fuck. Is there any popular whipping-boy you won't go after?

Okay, okay. Show me, please, one of these media depictions suggesting that Muslims live under rocks.

... and that s.a.m. is a good example to disprove the theory of a many, muslims being evil and ignorant.

Ah, yes. The benevolent attack. I'll encourage her to thank you.

i don't care where she's from

Whatever you say. You know, like, "now all they need to do is apply those ideas on their own societies".

And S.A.M. is your example.

when i said islamic societies, i thought of countries where the politics and laws are based on islam, and then someone who's partially part of it says "I'd suggest they start with embracing the concept of coexistence."

Partially part of it?

S.A.M.'s not in one of those countries where the politics and laws are based on various assertions of Islam. We might as well demand the megachurch up the street answer for the Vatican.

look at the shiites and the sunnis..they're in conflict for i don't know how long. or look at what happened when christianity took control over europe and what happened to all those so-called "infidels". or the conflicts between religion and human rights. i found it ironic to hear that from a "monotheist" who represents all of that. what else does a representative of a seriously flawed religion expect? praise? love? respect? if they don't want to be confronted with criticism then they should step out of that "sect" and believe in their god without being part of any of those institutions.

And? Yes, it's ironic to hear that sort of talk in defense of monotheism.

But why don't you tell us what you know about S.A.M.'s Islam. Obviously, you know more than I do, because I've never bothered asking her for the details. I mean, I would imagine that there are "Friday" or "holiday" Muslims, just like I was raised as a holiday Christian. But I don't know how many of them there are. And I certainly don't know if S.A.M. is one. The fact that she's a Muslim doesn't matter that much to me, and when it does, it's because someone else has made a point of it. So, since you obviously know more about her individual faith and conduct, please do enlighten us.

oh, WAIT! every human being has the right to have their religious harmony preserved. oh wait...but i'm a heretic, and in the bible and the quran there are verses about me, quite unpleasant verses, verses that discriminate against my existence, etc. wonderful. i really should become that big of a hypocrite and support and respect this.

I don't think hypocrisy is your biggest worry.

what about the oh-so-peaceful-and-respectful coexistence of homosexuals and monotheists? oh right..that doesn't exist.

or monotheists citing passages of the holy scripts to support the enforcing of the subdued place of women in home and society. pure co existential harmony.

As you become more familiar with the goings-on at this site, you'll find that I'm one of the harsher critics of monotheism. But I have to admit that, as a general principle, it's really hard to mount much of a spirited defense of atheism around here. You'll find our atheists aren't much help to their own cause.

it's quite a strange thing that goes on around here: critical posts about islam are regarded as exceptionally. insulting. discriminating.

No, it's not that strange. Again, when you become more familiar with how this community functions, you'll find plenty of anti-Islamic bigots are allowed to run free. And their critics are often reined in.

it just happened that s.a.m.'s a muslim? my response would have been the same even if s.a.m. would have been a christian.

Really?

If S.A.M. was a Christian, you would have written,

though, it has one positive thing to it, it shows that not every Christian is living under a rock. now all they need to do is apply those ideas on their own societies.​

And would you have justified it by blaming the media?

all in all, i can throw the question back at you. so just because she's a muslims she's got the right to reside on an elevated pedestal, shielded from criticism and arguments that we'd be vigorously applying to any other form of claims made by any other kind monotheist, yes? funny.

Who ever said she did?

A Muslim telling the world to get along makes me throw up in my mouth.
And a Christian is somehow more qualified?

I won't bother to point out the ridiculous irony that the US, as one example, was led by a very believing Christian who thought going to war was God's plan. Does that give him more right, or do US Christians (as one example) have more right to tell the world to get along, instead of a Muslim?

Is one Muslim responsible for all the misdeeds of Muslims around the world? That's like saying a Christian woman named Susan, living in a small country town in the US, is somehow responsible for all that George Bush has done. That would be stupid. But put Muslim in the sentence and so many fools lap it up with glee. Because well, Muslims are Muslims, aren't they? All the same? Every Muslim is responsible for what every single other Muslim does in the world, even if they are on the other side of the planet.. all are one.. yeah.. that works.. Usually, this is the point where in the past, a public lynching would occur. Did you bring your noose?

It works for SAM, since she constantly brings up the aspects of American history that don't fit in with modern humanitarian principles.

And a Christian is somehow more qualified?

I won't bother to point out the ridiculous irony that the US, as one example, was led by a very believing Christian who thought going to war was God's plan. Does that give him more right, or do US Christians (as one example) have more right to tell the world to get along, instead of a Muslim?

Is one Muslim responsible for all the misdeeds of Muslims around the world? That's like saying a Christian woman named Susan, living in a small country town in the US, is somehow responsible for all that George Bush has done. That would be stupid. But put Muslim in the sentence and so many fools lap it up with glee. Because well, Muslims are Muslims, aren't they? All the same? Every Muslim is responsible for what every single other Muslim does in the world, even if they are on the other side of the planet.. all are one.. yeah.. that works.. Usually, this is the point where in the past, a public lynching would occur. Did you bring your noose?

No, Christians are nearly as bad. If a Christian started preaching about getting along I would have scoffed almost as loudly.

Bush isn't as religious as you think. Our only born-again President was Carter. A hero to the Left. Bush has pissed off evangelicals for not pushing their agenda like he promised he would. Hell, Clinton used to carry a Bible around with him and surrounded himself with religious leaders. I've actually had less worry over Bush's faith than Clinton, Carter, or Reagan.

Yaweh Sabaoth?

Swivel said:

Bush isn't as religious as you think. Our only born-again President was Carter.

Then again, Carter never went to war on God's orders.

Oh, and following up on the controversy about whether or not George Bush is a born-again Christian, Truth Or Fiction produced this result:

Summary of Rumor:

This email says Bush was asked in an interview about his faith and described that Billy Graham contributed to his decision to "commit my heart to Jesus Christ."

The Truth:

Some versions of this eRumor say it is from an interview. Others say that the presidential candidates were asked by a journalist to give a statement on their faith, but that George Bush was the only one to reply. We've not found that to be the case, but the statement is a true quote from George W. Bush's book, "A CHARGE TO KEEP" (Morrow). It is in chapter 10 titled "The Big 4-0", beginning on page 136.

I haven't found an online transcription of the chapter in question, nor a Google Books result.

And Frontline even produced an episode on Bush the born-again:

How George W. Bush became a born-again Christian-and the impact that decision has had on his political career-is the focus of the FRONTLINE report "The Jesus Factor," airing Thursday, April 29, on PBS (check local listings). Through interviews with Bush family friends, advisors, political analysts, and observers--as well as excerpts from the president's speeches, interviews, and debates--the one-hour documentary chronicles George W. Bush's personal religious journey while also examining the growing political influence of the nation's more than 70 million evangelical Christians.

But if one wants to make heads or tails of Bush's status as a born-again, Alex Johnson's 2004 report for MSNBC.com is a good place to start. It's a curious tale, I admit.

Notes:

"Email Says Presidential Candidate George W. Bush is a Born-Again Christian". TruthOrFiction.com. Accessed January 23, 2009. http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/g/georgewbush.htm

"The Jesus Factor". Frontline. PBS.org. Accessed January 23, 2009. http://www.pbs.org/previews/frontline_jesus_factor/

Johnson, Alex. "Bush — born again, or not?" MSNBC.com. September 28, 2004. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6115719/

I think there's some merit to the idea that religion was our first crack at philosophy, and that it's not unfair to still define ourselves in relation to it (eg: theist, atheist), but I don't think there's any merit to the idea that we'll never be free of it. Also, sam's assertion that no state can exist without majority theism (aside from being completely untrue, even today) is bunk. Society has never gelled with religious values (ever wonder why there are always fundamentalist groups trying to blow shit up? Nobody's hearing the message, that's why!) and even in America, we have a bastardized version of Christianity that really has nothing to do at all with what Jesus actually taught. We're pulling away from those old books in favor of our own, better values, even if we still tend to credit them to our Saviors, regardless of how untrue that really is.

There may well always be some form of mysticism. We see Raeliens today, and I'm sure that movement will only grow. There's Scientology, and that's not slowing down. Maybe religion will shift to more modern things, but I tend to think that we're going to largely drop the crap that we still sorta cling to. There's evidence of it all around.

SAM said:
And best to best, I find Christians to be more flexible than atheists.
Odd formulation. Presumably, the "best" Christians are identified by their flexibility, and the "best" theists in general likewise, which is circular but understandable. But the best atheists?

I have my doubts about your identification of the category.

How would people like this fit in, accepting their public identity in lieu of common acquaintances:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ursula_K._Le_Guin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregory_Bateson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Catherine_Bateson -> http://www.marycatherinebateson.com/bibliography.html

Or even: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Watts

the pilgrims came here specifically to be free to practice their religion. You can be damned sure they'd not approve of banning the word God from public discourse.

Correct! The Pilgrims did not believe in freedom of religion. They (supposedly) had trouble practicing their religion the way they wanted where they were so they came here so they as a GROUP could practice it the way they as a GROUP desired.
They did not believe in freedom & any individual who differed was severely punished.

The arrogance of that statement is beyond belief. Of course, nothing bad can come from your beliefs. It's the other guys beliefs that are the problem! Absurd. Every belief system has its plusses and minuses. If religion had nothing to offer but "bad shit", the majority of the world's population wouldn't be religious, would they?

How about Lenin? Or Mao?

You throw the word absurd around yet demonstrate absurdity.
Atheism is not a belief system & there are no minuses to it.

Some religion like Christianity and Buddhism make our society a lot better. Atheists doesn't have a religion to keep them in line.

What could you mean by keep them in line? Christianity obviously doesn't keep people from doing bad things.

Religion is also good, because if it turns out that god doesn't exist, religious people have nothing to lose. If it turns out there is a god I won't be in trouble.

the old tired ridiculous Pascal's wager.

Is God an idiot?

The thing about Pascal's Wager—and it's not alone in this—is that it presumes the all-seeing, all-knowing, all-powerful God to be a complete fucking moron. Yeah, believing in God in order to cover my ass. Like God won't notice.

No, Christians are nearly as bad. If a Christian started preaching about getting along I would have scoffed almost as loudly.
Nearly and almost?

Bush isn't as religious as you think.
You're sure about that? I guess saying "God" told you going to war is not being religious.. Nor was he being religious when he pushed for the teaching of creationism.. And he definitely wasn't being religious when his Government pushed for funding to schools who taught abstinence only. As for refusing to give funding to overseas organisations who performed or supported abortion.. nope, not based on religious grounds either..:rolleyes:

Our only born-again President was Carter. A hero to the Left.
Did Carter ever go to war when told to by God? No?

Bush has pissed off evangelicals for not pushing their agenda like he promised he would.
You mean like when he pushed funding for creationism to be taught in school when he tried to support the stopping of teaching evolution in schools? Were they pissed off when he supported abstinence only education programs that was the only sex education available to students in so many states in the country? Shall I go on? There used to be a poster on this site by the name of Sandy. Now Sandy is an evangelical. I would suggest you do a quick search on her posts and see just what she felt about Bush. In other words, most evangelicals saw Bush as a second coming.. their favourite son who did their bidding.

Hell, Clinton used to carry a Bible around with him and surrounded himself with religious leaders. I've actually had less worry over Bush's faith than Clinton, Carter, or Reagan.
At least with the others, you knew they didn't go to war saying 'God ordered me to'. Their religion did not invade their manner of governance. Can you say the same for Bush?

I would strongly suggest you read the book by David Domke, titled "God Willing?: Political Fundamentalism in the White House, the 'War on Terror,' and the Echoing Press". You can find excerpts of the book here, as they were reproduced by several media organisations around the the US. One comment about the book itself:

A skillful mixing of religion and politics helped President Bush silence critics and sell his policies on terrorism and Iraq to the nation, according to a new book that analyzes hundreds of public communications and news reports.

As Bush makes his case for a second term, the research by David Domke documents how during his first term the president effectively linked religious terminology with political goals in the turbulent months after the Sept. 11 attacks.

In all but one of Bush's 15 national addresses between 9/11 and the end of major combat in Iraq, for example, he cast the campaign against terrorism as a simple struggle of good (America) vs. evil, according to Domke's book. And in four of the speeches, Bush issued explicit declarations that administration policies and goals were in line with divine powers.

Yet only two of the 326 post-speech editorials in 20 leading newspapers challenged the religiously derived notion of good vs. evil, and none questioned the president's statements about God's will.

"In a time of crisis, the certainty conveyed by what I call 'political fundamentalism' put forward by the administration silenced the Democrats and had great appeal to the press," said Domke, a UW associate professor of communication and adjunct professor of political science. "And yet with so many around the globe expressing a different view, the press failed its readers by uncritically echoing these fundamentalist messages."

The findings appear in Domke's book, "God Willing?: Political Fundamentalism in the White House, the 'War on Terror,' and the Echoing Press," just released by Pluto Press (London and Ann Arbor), a detailed portrait of how the administration grounded its war on terrorism in religion and how a deferential mainstream press helped pave the way.

Domke's study focused on the 20 months between Sept. 11, 2001, and May 1, 2003, when Bush delivered his "Mission Accomplished" speech on the aircraft carrier U.S.S. Lincoln.

In addition to Bush's national addresses, Domke analyzed 18 of his public statements about the USA Patriot Act, 121 of his comments about homeland security, and 81 of his statements about Iraq, plus the justification of the pre-emptive foreign policy in a speech at West Point and in the administration's National Security Strategy document. Also included were more than 100 statements by other administration officials, including Attorney General John Ashcroft, Secretary of State Colin Powell and Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld.

Then Domke examined the response of news media, by dissecting TV and newspaper reports on the administration and its policies related to the "war on terrorism." This included every terror-related news story in the New York Times and Washington Post during the three weeks after Sept. 11, and several hundred newspaper articles and network television stories.

The coverage, Domke found, gave uncritical voice to four key fundamentalist messages from the administration:

1) Simplistic, black-and-white conceptions of the political landscape.

2) Calls for immediate action on administration policies as a necessary part of the nation's "calling" and "mission" against terrorism.

3) Declarations about the will of God for America and for the spread of U.S. conceptions of freedom and liberty.

4) Claims that dissent from the administration was unpatriotic and a threat to the nation.

"These messages were rooted in a religiously conservative worldview," Domke said, "yet they were often framed by both the administration and the news media to emphasize a sense of nationalism.

"That made the fundamentalist approach attractive, or at least palatable, to the press and public," Domke added, "in a period when Americans were trying to understand what had happened and why."

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2004-08/uow-rdb080904.php

Get a life??? If your life is based on cruel absurd fairy tales, that is not much of a life. Your complaining because we try to prevent your injecting superstition into every aspect of our lives demonstrates you don't have much of a life.
People go around kicking dogs then complain when they're bitten.
You grow up, get a life, stop believing bullshit & stop trying to force others to live the way you want them to.

This is such a load of dung.

As an atheist, I am pro a whole lot of things. Pro humanist, pro science, pro responsibility, pro freedom, pro love for ALL people regardless of religion.

And contrary to your very sheltered and one sided views of atheists based on a few of the loud minority, I am full of life, love, joy, passion and service to others. My life is not dull, pragmatic or boring at all. I love, so that the example of my love resonates to all the people I touch. I am fervently passionate about helping others to help themselves. I am full of purpose and full of happiness and I can't wait to share those things with other people. My life isn't about how to get into heaven, but how I can make my fellow human beings weight a little bit less in THIS life. That is a far greater purpose than the laws you obey so that you can be in good favor to your God or Gods. Faithful adherence to laws and texts is in no way greater than the choice each individual can make to do good for goodness sake alone.

What kind of world could we have without religion? The same one we have now, because there will always be people who choose to follow and those people who choose to lead. It won't matter if it is religion, or ideology or political system. But I can say with a clear conscience that I feel that I have loved the world so fully that I can be satisfied. That is all I need. You can keep your ideas of heaven, afterlife's, virgins, and rewards given for duty to your God or Gods. I have the smile and love of my fellow man, and that is worth far more than any of that.

Not all atheists are the same, and there is a very loud minority that chooses to champion a banner that does not stand for all atheists, just as there are Muslim, Jewish, Christian and even Buddhist zealots. There will always be people who negatively take things to extreme, but they are not representatives of the majority and you can not judge a ideology for it's extremely loud few. To do so, is a disservice to yourself as it keeps your mind and heart too closed off.

Believe me when I tell you that my life is rich, full and happy. It's exciting and passionate and full of satisfaction. Not many can say the same, and sometimes they get to the end of their life and wonder what they did with it. I won't have to say that, and that is a treasure.

Very well said, Liebling. I lower my banner in your presence. :worship::bravo:

When reality is just so cruel ....

StrangerInAStrangeLa said:

Get a life??? If your life is based on cruel absurd fairy tales, that is not much of a life. Your complaining because we try to prevent your injecting superstition into every aspect of our lives demonstrates you don't have much of a life.
People go around kicking dogs then complain when they're bitten.
You grow up, get a life, stop believing bullshit & stop trying to force others to live the way you want them to.

In the United States, monotheists—namely Christians—have been accustomed to certain presumptions of superiority. Their morals have been adopted into law even when there is no objective purpose to them. Hell, witches were being arrested in California into the late 1970s. But after centuries of enjoying privileged status, it is understandable that they're not willing to give it up. After all, for those on top, equality is a step down.

So of course they're going to consider people's attempts to get them to back off, to get out of others' lives, intrusive. I haven't a whole lot of sympathy for them on that count, but their resistance is easily expected. We should not be surprised that some people find the only route to equality the maintenance of supremacism.

Oh, I'm not surprised. It's human nature.
I hope to remember this & use it often : For those on top, equality is a step down.
I've known it, of course but never said it that well.

Evil Abortion Doughnuts

Are you ready for ... Abortion Doughnuts? It's Catholics vs. Krispy Kreme, and a heavy dose of no-holds-barred astonishment.

Okay, look ... this is an example of the problem.

THURSDAY, JANUARY 15 The week continues with a hilarious bit of business from the American Life League, aka "the largest grassroots Catholic pro-life organization in the United States," which is taking vehement exception to the Obama-celebrating machinations of Krispy Kreme Doughnuts. As Krispy Kreme announced in a press release, "Krispy Kreme is honoring American's sense of pride and freedom of choice on Inauguration Day by offering a free doughnut of choice to every customer." As the American Life League made clear in its own press release, Krispy Kreme can keep their evil abortion doughnuts: "The next time you stare down a conveyor belt of slow-moving, hot, sugary glazed doughnuts at your local Krispy Kreme, you just might be supporting President-elect Obama's radical support for abortion on demand. The unfortunate reality of a post Roe v. Wade America is that 'choice' is synonymous with abortion access."

(Schmader)

Wow. I'd hate to be one of those folks trapped in a Baskin-Robbins. All the ... choices!

The original ALL press release challenging Krispy Kreme is available online. Perhaps more interesting, though, is the one they released three days later:

"We are grateful to Krispy Kreme executives who realized the inappropriate use of the phrase "freedom of choice" and have changed their announcement, available on their web site.

"Barack Obama is one of the most radical pro-abortion politicians ever elected president. Even though Obama claims he is not pro-abortion, but rather "pro-choice," his record speaks for itself. Obama received millions of dollars from the "freedom-of-choice" abortion industry because he swore that as one of his first acts as president, he would sign the Freedom of Choice Act, a legislative proposal that would wipe out a litany of incrementalist pro-life legislation with one stroke of his pen.

"The use of the phrase "freedom of choice" by any corporation, particularly when used to coincide with President-elect Obama's inauguration, is offensive and demeaning to the millions who have suffered either directly or indirectly through abortion. Abortion is a tragedy for everyone involved in it. Thus we felt obligated to issue our original statement and subsequently communicate with Krispy Kreme Inc.

"American Life League thanks Krispy Kreme for correcting their public statement. Their corporate decision was not only wise but will result, we are certain, with an increased number of customers not only on January 20th but for years to come."

Strangely, however, that second release doesn't tell us how the doughnut company corrected itself. And checking in with Krispy Kreme, the phrase "freedom of choice" still appears in the January 14, 2009 press release posted at their website.

Krispy Kreme at this time makes no mention of having settled the issue with ALL. Indeed, it makes no mention of the controversy whatsoever.

Something about the phrase "Get a life" comes to mind. I mean, seriously ... free doughnuts? Oh, God save us all!

Notes:

Schmader, David. "Last Days". The Stranger. January 21, 2009. http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/last-days/Content?oid=999900

Walker, Katie. "Krispy Kreme Celebrates Obama With Pro-Abortion Doughnuts". American Life League. January 15, 2009. http://www.all.org/article.php?id=11754

—————. "Krispy Kreme Corrects 'Freedom of Choice' Faux Pas". American Life League. January 18, 2009. http://www.all.org/article.php?id=11757

"Krispy Kreme Celebrates the Freedom of Choice on Inauguration Day". KrispyKreme.com. January 14, 2009. http://investor.krispykreme.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=359127

See Also: Krispy Kreme press releases — http://investor.krispykreme.com/releases.cfm

Back