Atheist bus ads

It doesn't matter whether or not you recognize it as a movie about Islam. The fact is that Van Gogh intended it to be about Islam.

Did he? You mean Hirsi Ali and Theo van Gogh were concerned about Muslim women? Really? :rolleyes:

I have come to the opinion [especially after reading about the Jewel of Medina] that the only logical approach to western skits on "Islam" is that of the tolerance shown to a retarded child. Clearly, they have no idea what they are talking about and its pointless to think that will ever change.

Was she? Is that why her father is an athiest and her brother a Christian? She's associated with Zionist and right-wing neo-evangelical groups in the US. I really don't consider her a spokeswoman for anything about Muslims.

I'm a Muslim. You don't have to show me a movie by a kafir to teach me if its about Islam. The purpose of that movie was provocation. Its like making a movie on Stalins gulags and describing it as a movie on atheism. :p

What's a kafir?

Ho hum. You're pasting wiki as a reference?:rolleyes:

What's a kafir?

Kafir is one who rejects God or one who hides, denies or covers the truth

The word kāfir is the active participle of the root K-F-R "to cover". As a pre-Islamic term it described farmers burying seeds in the ground, covering them with soil while planting. Thus, the word kāfir implies the meaning "a person who hides or covers". In Islamic parlance, a kāfir is a word used to describe a person who rejects Islamic faith, i.e. "hides or covers [viz., the truth]"

Last edited:
Yep.. It's common knowledge that she was a Muslim SAM..

I'm sure it is. I'm betting she has never studied or practised Islam and has created a political identity for propaganda purposes. Like she "defended" liberal values and homosexuals and now works for a neo-con organisation. :rolleyes:

Kaf·ir
2. (lowercase) Islam. an infidel or unbeliever.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/kafir?o=0

I suspect it's used as a derogatory term.

No more than "radical" Muslim.

We know the word "Kaffer" here in the Netherlands, which is Yiddish for Kafir. Or at least it comes from the Yiddish word for Kafir.
It's commonly used as a derogatory term

I'm sure it is. I'm betting she has never studied or practised Islam and has created a political identity for propaganda purposes. Like she "defended" liberal values and homosexuals and now works for a neo-con organisation. :rolleyes:

She has denounced Islam SAM.
I suggest you read that article.

the wiki references to the magazine to which she gave the interview about losing her faith

Did she tell the magazine about the other lies she made up to get European citizenship? And the lies she made up about her sister to try and get her an European citizenship?:rolleyes:

who are you to judge who is a god muslim and who is a bad muslim?

Did she tell the magazine about the other lies she made up to get European citizenship? And the lies she made up about her sister to try and get her an European citizenship?:rolleyes:

What does that have to do with anything ? Your reaction is typical.

She has denounced Islam SAM.
I suggest you read that article.

I suggest you broaden your horizons:

Ms Hirsi Ali sounds less frank when she tells the convoluted story of how and why she came to seek asylum at the age of 22 in the Netherlands. She has admitted in the past to changing her name and her age, and to concocting a story for the Dutch authorities about running away from Somalia's civil war. (In fact she left from Kenya, where she had had refugee status for ten years.) She has since justified those lies by saying that she feared another kind of persecution: the vengeance of her clan after she ran away from an arranged marriage.

However, last May a Dutch television documentary suggested that while Ms Hirsi Ali did run away from a marriage, her life was in no danger. The subsequent uproar nearly cost Ms Hirsi Ali her Dutch citizenship, which may be the reason why she is careful here to re-state how much she feared her family when she first arrived in the Netherlands. But the facts as she tells them about the many chances she passed up to get out of the marriage?how her father and his clan disapproved of violence against women; how relatives already in the Netherlands helped her to gain asylum; and how her ex-husband peaceably agreed to a divorce?hardly seem to bear her out.

Ayaan Hirsi Ali is not the first person to use false pretences to try to find a better life in the West, nor will she be the last. But the muddy account given in this book of her so-called forced marriage becomes more troubling when one considers that Ms Hirsi Ali has built a career out of portraying herself as the lifelong victim of fanatical Muslims.

Feb 8th 2007
From The Economist print edition [need a subscription]

Back