Would you peel the skin off of a newborn baby?

Would you peel the skin off of a newborn baby?

• Theist - I would peel the skin off a heathen newborn baby if I thought 'God' wanted me to.

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Theist - I would peel the skin off a non-heathen newborn baby if I thought 'God' wanted me to.

• Theist - I would peel the skin off of my very own newborn baby if I thought 'God' wanted me to.

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Theist - I would NOT peel the skin off a baby if I thought 'God' wanted me to.

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Atheist - I would peel the skin off a newborn baby if my or lives of my loved ones depended on it.

• Atheist - I would peel the skin off of MY newborn baby if my or lives of my dearest depended on it.

• Atheist - I would peel the skin off a newborn baby if a 'God' proved its existence and wanted me to.

• Atheist - I would NOT peel the skin off of a baby.

Votes: 19 86.4%

• Total voters
Basically, what you could be asking here is -
What would you be willing to do, how far are you willing to go in order to save yourself (or to attain enlightenment)?
what is interesting is that from the perspective of religion there is some moral or ethical consideration - IOW it is a given that god is the most moral being (as even any atheist will be quick to point out, an immoral god can be rejected)

in science however, anything goes (IOW science has no inherent ethics - so look out world)

so what if this was required to enter into a new realm of ground breaking discovery - to achieve what scientists had only dreamed of before - a discovery so great that it would redefine the discipline of science (etc etc)?

Perhaps in time clones will be created and will be afforded no human rights and then be used. That, (the idea), is a long discussion in itself though.

For now no - although I confess the question is hard to answer. A 'discovery' is usually discovered when you try something out. Thus unless you already knew that chopping up a child would lead to a great discovery there seems little point in trying it. If you did somehow know that chopping up one child would lead to this great discovery, it wouldn't really be much of a discovery but then I would contend that yes, someone ultimately would chop up a child. In such an instance however it would be probable that a specific child would be used to try and minimize suffering - a mentally retarded child in a coma with an unoperable brain tumour for example.

Personally I would rather be the contributer to such a great discovery than live, (if you can call it that), with a condition lovingly given to me by god.

I dunno.. plane crash, survivors are me and someone elses young child. Very hungry, must eat to survive......

I still couldn't do it. Even if my own children were with me.
I could kill and eat that baby's Mom, but not the baby.

Hmm killing and eating a baby isn't quite the same thing as peeling off the skin of a live baby..

I could kill and eat that baby's Mom, but not the baby.

That's just sick! :eek:

But seriously I wouldn't. Several reasons, namely that if you leave the child alive you'd have to look after it, if you leave the woman alive she'd have to look after you :D

Hmm killing and eating a baby isn't quite the same thing as peeling off the skin of a live baby

That's true. I can't think of any viable reason to peel the skin off much more than various fruit and veg. I would do it if there was some inescapable reason to which works the same with baby eating.

That's true. I can't think of any viable reason to peel the skin off much more than various fruit and veg. I would do it if there was some inescapable reason to which works the same with baby eating.

Well, yeah.. if it was an inescapable reason.. lol

M*W: Technically, anyone who has ever murdered a baby or child has essentially peeled the decomposing skin off that child.

Why isn't this in the cesspool?

If this question was made about Moslems, it would be gone in a heart beat, so would a Moslem Peel the skin off a New Born Baby if Allah appeared to them and told them to do so?

maybe we need a few more selections in the poll like

Scientist - I would peel the skin off a newborn baby if my or lives of my loved ones depended on it.
Scientist - I would peel the skin off of MY newborn baby if my livelihood or academic credibility depended on it.
Scientist - I would peel the skin off a newborn baby if there was "proof" that substantial developments in the field of science were at stake
Scientist - I would NOT peel the skin off of a baby.

I choose:

Scientist - I would NOT peel the skin off of a baby.

I have to admit I was really on the fence about it when it wasn't my baby.

I could not do it for any reason. The poll is bizarre anyway. I mean if the sky opened up (for real) and there was this loud voice telling you what to do then i think at that point many things would change for anyone. Is that what you mean?

Edit: it is also up to the individuals fortitude. I saw an autopsy being performed and i dont even want to say what it involved but i knew that that was not for me.

Thank you John.

Buffalo Roam said:

If this question was made about Moslems, it would be gone in a heart beat, so would a Moslem Peel the skin off a New Born Baby if Allah appeared to them and told them to do so?

Of course it would, because then it would be targeting in a discriminatory manner one single religion, instead of the general concept of religion.

Can you not tell the difference?

Back