Why isn't faith embarrasing?

Only in the sense that I have no desire to live in a society that is without religion.
So you have no significant affiliation with the contemporary cultures or common practices of either islam or christianity. Ok then. We're making progress.

I am Indian. Surely you know that?:p
Of course!

Now, since you are "aligned" with no particular formalized religious group, we know then that your ideals of "love, faith, and charity" are most likely an amalgum of various teachings you may have read in different books. Correct?

Of course!

Now, since you are "aligned" with no particular formalized religious group, we know then that your ideals of "love, faith, and charity" are most likely an amalgum of various teachings you may have read in different books. Correct?

You mean we can discount the indoctrination from the abusive parents? ;)

There is a whole bunch of us weirdos out there.

And yes, if I had followed the teachings of the books I read or was exposed to in my 'abused' childhood, no doubt I would be content to continue to look down my nose at the savages who fight their tribal wars while patting myself on the back for my enlightened outlook based on my superior reasoning abilities.

Fortunately, I had an opportunity to step back and take a long hard look at myself.

And I took it. And I'm glad I did. :)

Looking back, I can't believe I was ever so foolish :p

You mean we can discount the indoctrination from the abusive parents? ;)
Not entirely, but let's assume it was negligible in your case.

And yes, if I had followed the teachings of the books I read or was exposed to in my 'abused' childhood, no doubt I would be content to continue to look down my nose at the savages who fight their tribal wars while patting myself on the back for my enlightened outlook based on my superior reasoning abilities.
What books were you exposed to?

Fortunately, I had an opportunity to step back and take a long hard look at myself.
Good for you. We have something in common then.

Only in the sense that I have no desire to live in a society that is without religion.

I would hate for decisions of humanity to be based on cold logic; we have machines for that.

Imagine moderation being conducted here by cold logic.

The indoctrinated cultist could not possibly leave the group without first having to abandon the tenets and fully accept the fact that they have been indoctrinated.

Since they fully accept the improbable and the irrational as defined by the tenets of the cult, they are unable to even consider a worldview not commanded by such tenets.

They further error in their muddled understanding of simple definitions as they assert logic has a temperature.

sam:

I would hate for decisions of humanity to be based on cold logic; we have machines for that.
What about logic tempered by simple human compassion? Or would you throw logic out completely?

What I think is irrelevant.

Probably the same books you were, the one sided viewpoint from the west, the evils of traditional and backward societies, teh barbarians of the Middle East and Africa, the wonders of modern civilisation as generously given by the British and later by the Americans. :shrug:

Probably the same books you were, the one sided viewpoint from the west, the evils of traditional and backward societies, teh barbarians of the Middle East and Africa, the wonders of modern civilisation as generously given by the British and later by the Americans. :shrug:
Hmmm... never read those. Must be the kinds of things xians force down the throats of prospective automatons.
:shrug:

Where did you get that definition of faith in the OP?

The definition that I've always heard is: Faith is the assured expectation of things hoped for, the evident demonstration of realities though not beheld.

And that's straight from the bible actually...

Back