Why did we get free will?

*The existence of an immaterial "soul" or "spirit" could escape those laws but if made by some greater spirit (God) then that would not be genuine free will.

That would be "by grant" free will, which could be cancelled or controlled by that greater spirit.

Agreed with the part in bold.

I.e. men would only be able to do what was permitted, not truely free agents to make choices, independent of the granting authority.

For the above to be true, it needs to be presumed that what humans desire to do can run contrary to God's desires and can threaten them; or that God is whimsical.
If the former, then God's omnipotence would be denied. If the latter, God's omni-benevolence would be denied.

The above also seems to imply that when humans couldn't do something, this inability would be due to God hampering their will. And not perhaps due to a given of material nature in which humans seek to act.
So also, there is the distinction between freedom of will and freedom of action.
Are they to be equated?

Why ask the question as though you are asking as a theist, when in fact you are not a theist?

Anyway.

For one to choose God one must have the ability to reject God.

So God must be desiring people who have chosen Him. Our choosing must then be very important to Him.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Sorry about that, but, in school, acting like a confused theist is bound to cause less problems than a question atheist would, just habit. Plus enmos sorta does it?

To your actual point, God is all powerful, he should be able to make us do whatever the hell he wants us to.

In response to my (essentially self evident) statement:
"I.e. men would only be able to do what was permitted, not truly free agents to make choices, independent of the granting authority." You state:
...For {that statement} to be true, it needs to be presumed that what humans desire to do can run contrary to God's desires and can threaten them; or that God is whimsical.

If the former, then God's omnipotence would be denied. If the latter, God's omni-benevolence would be denied.
Assume there is a set of physically possible choices / actions for men, {a,b,c,d...} and that an omni-potent "free will" granting authority ("God" hereafter to be brief) is permitting men only to chose to do {a,c,d...} because that authority does not desire men to do "b." I.e. he makes both choosing and certainly then doing "b" impossible as he does not desire men to do "b."

Then I do not need to presume that someone desires to do "b" to state, as I did, that: "men would only be able to do what was permitted, not truly free agents to make choices, independent of the granting authority." My statement is valid WITHOUT making the presumption you state is required, under your first alternative.

Under your second alternative (God is whimsical), for example sometimes God permits the choice of "b" and not of "c" etc. sort of at random. My statement remains valid, even more so if "more valid" than "valid" is possible, as then men cannot even predict what choices are not available.

For men to have a truly free choice, "independent of the granting authority" then men must be able to choose the full set of physically possible actions. I.e. any member of the set {a,b,c,d...} Unless the full set of physically possible choices is available, then God is limiting or to some extent controlling your "granted-free-will" much like Henry Ford did in the Model T era when he said: "You can chose any color car you like, so long as you want it to be black."

As far as omnipotence & omni-benevolence as aspects of God are concerned, I am in no position know what adjectives are valid, but these two seem to contradict each other and thus only one or none is possible (assuming God is not a "flip-flopper" with changing atributes). For example try applying both to wide spread starvation of babies, Hitler killing nearly 10 million persons (Gypsies, homosexuals, persons with mental or physical defects, not just the more well know 6million Jews), etc. The standard out: "God works in mysterious ways." does not cut it with me. Give me the old gods. They were plausible, even dependable. You knew Zeus would transform himself into animal form and have his way with some woman, like Europa. What is the point of being the most powerful god if you cannot have a little fun now and then? ;) :shrug: But I may not understand what Judaic/Christian God enjoys. Perhaps he got a thrill out of turning Lot's wife into a pillar of salt? :confused:

...The above also seems to imply that when humans couldn't do something, this inability would be due to God hampering their will. And not perhaps due to a given of material nature in which humans seek to act.
So also, there is the distinction between freedom of will and freedom of action. Are they to be equated?
Yes, if the "something" is physically possible, affordable, etc. then not being able to chose it would imply someone is interfering. Usually there are also man-imposed deterrents (laws and cops etc.) on many physically possible choices.
and
Yes, probably. I.e. we can only chose physically possible things. For example, I cannot chose to make myself invisible and take cash from the bank when no one is looking at it, etc.
I.e. it is certainly possible for me to desire /wish to be invisible - chose that mentally or "will it" in some sense, but as it is not possible in action, “remaining visible” is not a real choice I make. There may be some fine distinctions, but for most purposes willing something (possible, affordable, etc.) and freedom of action would seem to be equivalent. Specifically, if sin is possible, I think to do so requires some action. (I am not very big on the idea that one can "mentally sin" without any action. “Lust in my heart” is no sin for me.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Assume there is a set of physically possible choices / actions for men, {a,b,c,d...} and that an omni-potent "free will" granting authority ("God" hereafter to be brief) is permitting men only to chose to do {a,c,d...} because that authority does not desire men to do "b."

While theoretically correct, is this situation ever actually the case?
Is it actually the case that there is 'a set of physically possible choices / actions for men, {a,b,c,d...} and that an omni-potent "free will" granting authority /..../ is permitting men only to chose to do {a,c,d...} because that authority does not desire men to do "b." '?

Is the full set of physically possible choices available to man, or is it not?
Can we claim with certainty that the only reason we currently cannot do something is because God is hampering our action?

Yes, if the "something" is physically possible, affordable, etc. then not being able to chose it would imply someone is interfering.

Or something is interfering.

I want to run 100 meters below 12 seconds. It is humanly possible to do it, but I cannot do it. Whose fault is it that I can't run that fast?

Yes, probably. I.e. we can only chose physically possible things.

More to the point, we are left with the range of things that are possible for us, in our specific circumstances.
Some things might be possible for other people or in other circumstances - but they may be impossible for us or in our current circumstances.

There may be some fine distinctions, but for most purposes willing something (possible, affordable, etc.) and freedom of action would seem to be equivalent.

Do tell me more. Under what circumstances would freedom of will and freedom of action be equivalent? That is - What would humans have to be like then? What would the material world have to be like? What would God have to be like?

Specifically, if sin is possible, I think to do so requires some action. (I am not very big on the idea that one can "mentally sin" without any action. “Lust in my heart” is no sin for me.)

"Mental" action is still action. Cognition - deciding, pondering views, analyzing, concluding, ... they are all actions, and important ones at that, as we use this kind of actions to direct our lives.

As far as omnipotence & omni-benevolence as aspects of God are concerned, I am in no position know what adjectives are valid, but these two seem to contradict each other and thus only one or none is possible (assuming God is not a "flip-flopper" with changing atributes). For example try applying both to wide spread starvation of babies, Hitler killing nearly 10 million persons (Gypsies, homosexuals, persons with mental or physical defects, not just the more well know 6million Jews), etc. The standard out: "God works in mysterious ways." does not cut it with me.

This has been directly addressed here: http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=71803

While theoretically correct, is this situation ever actually the case?
Is it actually the case that there is 'a set of physically possible choices / actions for men, {a,b,c,d...} and that an omni-potent "free will" granting authority /..../ is permitting men only to chose to do {a,c,d...} because that authority does not desire men to do "b." '?

Is the full set of physically possible choices available to man, or is it not?
Can we claim with certainty that the only reason we currently cannot do something is because God is hampering our action?
If humans are only very sophisticated biological machines (no genuine free will, only an illusion of it) then no choices are made. I.e. then the set of "possible" choices is reduced to one - the one they think they chose but must do. - They think and do what their body and prior history dictate and may then call it a choice. Quantum mechanics and less than perfect knowledge are what then makes human behavior less predictable than what happens with my next key storke on my dispaly screen.

On your last question: Certainly not - especially not if there is no God nor real choice.

I want to run 100 meters below 12 seconds. It is humanly possible to do it, but I cannot do it. Whose fault is it that I can't run that fast?
No one's. That is just your CURRENT circumstances. By "physically possible" I ment for the postulated chooser. Not everyone has the same set of possible choices, especially when some require considerable expenditures.
"Mental" action is still action. Cognition - deciding, pondering views, analyzing, concluding, ... they are all actions, and important ones at that, as we use this kind of actions to direct our lives.
You can define action that way, but I think there is much more distinction between only "pure thought" and body movements (what I restrict the word "action" to) than there is between "freedom of action" and "freedom of will" when that will is to do some particular possible action. Thus I distinguish between thoughts and actions. It seems to me that if I have the ability to do action "a" and the will to do action "a" then at least operationally they are the same.

Your post 12 there was the best - I.e. I can agree with it, but the Eastern idea of a "circle of life" other posters there support seems less likely to me than the one life POV. For example, where were all the souls now in animals and men when there were less of them? Is there some "soul parking lot" for them to wait in after global population declines like the plage until the total annimate population recovers?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry about that, but, in school, acting like a confused theist is bound to cause less problems than a question atheist would, just habit. Plus enmos sorta does it?

Is this school?

To your actual point, God is all powerful, he should be able to make us do whatever the hell he wants us to.

Not if he does not want to.

What is possible and not possible with God is irrelevant if His will is to do it in the way it is being done.

The question is fairly simple, maybe I am missing something incredibly obvious, and I probably am, but, why did God give us free will?

EDIT: Shoot sorry guys, I don't believe in God at all, this was directed at theists who believe that free will was "given" to us. My bad.

so we can learn from our own mistakes, know which roads are right for us,

Is this school?

What is possible and not possible with God is irrelevant if His will is to do it in the way it is being done.

But if he doesn't want to he is not making us do what he doesn't want to which is the same as making us do what he does want to/

God works in mysterious ways

Is this school?

But if he doesn't want to he is not making us do what he doesn't want to which is the same as making us do what he does want to/

God works in mysterious ways

I think i know what your trying to say but because you have not stated it well maybe i should wait for you to read what you have said and brush it up a bit so it is clearer.

I think i know what your trying to say but because you have not stated it well maybe i should wait for you to read what you have said and brush it up a bit so it is clearer.

Right, here we go.

If god doesn't want us to do what he doesn't want us to do then he is making us do what he wants us to do because he doesn't want us to do what he doesn't want us to do. Will that do ?

If god doesn't want us to do what he doesn't want us to do then he is making us do what he wants us to do because he doesn't want us to do what he doesn't want us to do. Will that do ?

When was the last time God told you to do something?

When was the last time God told you to do something?

When we had a couple of pints together about a week ago. Don't ask me what I was told because I was sworn to secrecy,

Just one hint: Start spending at the earliest opportunity. Bible futures could be a good investment.

When we had a couple of pints together about a week ago. Don't ask me what I was told because I was sworn to secrecy,

Just one hint: Start spending at the earliest opportunity. Bible futures could be a good investment.

:) Wherever you end up is up to you, doesn't matter if God knows or not.

So do you agree with this statement?

God is love.
god is the reservoir of all good qualities, of which love is prime.
IOW a quality exists separate from a form only in a theoretical sense.

For example, I could love my wife, but that is not a sufficient indication to show any connection to god.
You could say that the ability we have to love is a tiny reflection of the ability god has to love, and being infinitesimal part and parcels of god we embody practically all of his qualities in a tiny proportion

If humans are only very sophisticated biological machines (no genuine free will, only an illusion of it) then no choices are made.

Would you agree that what we believe that we are importantly influences the way we will act?

By "physically possible" I ment for the postulated chooser.

Sure. But how can a postulated chooser know -in advance- what options are physically possible for him?

It seems to me that if I have the ability to do action "a" and the will to do action "a" then at least operationally they are the same.

Sure. But again, how do you know you have the ability to perform said action? You can only be really sure of that ability in hindsight, after you have already acted on your ability.

Your post 12 there was the best - I.e. I can agree with it, but the Eastern idea of a "circle of life" other posters there support seems less likely to me than the one life POV. For example, where were all the souls now in animals and men when there were less of them? Is there some "soul parking lot" for them to wait in after global population declines like the plage until the total annimate population recovers?

In short - the notion is that there are many planets on which living beings can be born.

Back