Which is more important: Secular or Religious education

Which is more important: Secular or Religous education

• Secular education

Votes: 26 92.9%
  • Religious education

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters
Think of it this way:
Secular education is objective; it can apply to everyone roughly equally.
Religious education is subjective; it applies to different people in different ways.

So, secular education takes priority because it can be justifiably given to everyone in the same form. Whereas religious education can and will be different (assuming that "religious education" here means a parent raising their child in a religion).

True. But think of it this way, without religious education would there even be secular education?

Think missionaries, convents and institutions opened/operated by the religious orders [Harvard, Oxford, Princeton, Yale].

Sam that is irrelivent. Would you ride a pennyfathing rather than a moden bike because at the time they were the only bikes avilable?

would live in a bare floor hut like the medievil serfs because thats where housing started?

would accept that everything your taught is in latin making it impossable to even read a street sign because "thats where education started"?

no, religions MAY have started education as a propergander machine for their own adjender but that doesnt mean we cant use them for a GOOD purpose, ie educating people about the things which really DO effect their lives, sex, science (and maths), English (language of home country), critical thinking, basic reasoning skills, politics ect. Ie those things which actually effect peoples lives rather than "gods" which if they exist at all, abdocated there responcabilities 1000's of years ago

True. But think of it this way, without religious education would there even be secular education?

Think missionaries, convents and institutions opened/operated by the religious orders [Harvard, Oxford, Princeton, Yale].

I'm not saying religious education is bad, nor was not the foundation for secular education. However, times have changed; society is more pluralistic and tolerant regarding religion, and the trend is for government to be secular. In modern times, secular education takes priority; its lessons are objective and apply to all (e.g., mathematics is a universal idea that everyone should learn and understand).

Religious education should be optional, not mandatory, because the lessons imparted by it are subjective (e.g., not everyone's a Christian, so Christian eduction should be undertaken by Christians). Individually, religious education might be seen as more important. But from a societal point of view, secular public education is paramount.

I'm not saying religious education is bad, nor was not the foundation for secular education. However, times have changed

I don't see any change. Its still countries based on religion[even so called fundie states] that have the most diverse thinking, while countries with state atheism or where atheism is enforced by restricting religious expression are still relatively monochromatic.

The fact that the history of man is the history of religious societies and the accomplishments of man originate from people of religion all shows how religious education spearheads thinking in every society.

Now compare that with the Piraha, a tribe with no God and no religion. They are so adamant that they will believe only in what they see, that they have lost the capacity for abstract thinking and reasoning.

* As far as the Pirahã have related to researchers, their culture is concerned solely with matters that fall within direct personal experience, and thus there is no history beyond living memory.
* The culture has the simplest known kinship system, not tracking relations any more distant than biological siblings.
* There appears to be no social hierarchy, the Pirahã have no leaders. Their social system can thus be labeled as anarchocommunism.
* Curiously, although not unprecedentedly[2], the language has no cardinal or ordinal numbers. Some researchers, such as Prof. Peter Gordon of Columbia University, claim that the Piraha are incapable of learning numeracy. His colleague, Prof. Daniel L. Everett, on the other hand, argues that the Pirahã are cognitively capable of counting; they simply choose not to do so.
* They barter with external traders but have resisted most external influences (such as encouragement to farm) retaining a hunter-gatherer lifestyle.
* They have very little artwork. The artwork that is present, mostly necklaces and drawn stick-figures, is used primarily to ward off evil spirits.
* Like American New Age people, the Pirahã do not have Gods or religion. They believe in spirits. These "spirits" can be jaguars, trees, or other visible, tangible things.
* The Pirahã take short naps of 15 minutes to two hours through the day and night, and rarely sleep through the night.
* They often go hungry, not for want of food, but from a desire to be tigisái (hard).[3]

They believe in spirits so they are animist which is quite common in primitive tribes. You say they are 'adamant' which means 'impervious to pleas', who has been pleading with them to believe in what they cannot see? Some religious goon I suppose? :rolleyes:

Are they really 'adamant' or simply have existed in such a way where there was no need to believe in anything they could not see? The need for abstract thinking and reasoning are borne of necessity. Why would such an isolated group of amazon dwellers have such a necessity? Sounds as if they have lived a very simplistic, idyllic existence, a kind of eden we could say.

You claim all of the accomplishments we have today come from religion. What about all the problems we have today? Can we attribute them all to religion as well? Religion has not given us a more sane world, there is still poverty, war, ignorance and stupidity, pollution of the environment. Maybe we need some accomplishments that come out of reason and not out of the worlds major antiquated cults.

Last edited:
National Geographic (I think) did an excellent write of the Piraha. Very interesting.

Upon thinking about it, we will have religion for some time to come. And so I think Secular education should include a secular class on Religious Archeology, Paleontology and Sociology. To counterbalance what people are taught in Churches.

I remember one time I was talking to an Iranian years ago, over drinks. He was already 90% atheist. Still some superstitious beliefs (which he probably still had) and I told him about how Arabs used to walk around the stone in Mecca venerating a God called Allah before there was an Islam and he stood up and suddenly said: I knew it was all bullshit!

Such is the power of a tiny amount of information.

IF we should find ourselves with a lot of social unrest THEN if it comes right down to it, we may have to teach religion in secular schools. If we assume for now people will be religious, then maybe we should teach them what to think? It would probably better than leaving it in the hands of the local crackpots?

M

I remember one time I was talking to an Iranian years ago, over drinks. He was already 90% atheist. Still some superstitious beliefs (which he probably still had) and I told him about how Arabs used to walk around the stone in Mecca venerating a God called Allah before there was an Islam and he stood up and suddenly said: I knew it was all bullshit!

Such is the power of a tiny amount of information.
M

This is what I mean by a reduced capacity for abstract reasoning. I would have said, wow, so its true, Allah is the pre-Isamic word for God. And added, btw, what is the source of this information?

Sam i notice you skipped my post:p

No I did not, I could see a point I could respond to. My point was that without religion, we may all have been the Piraha and your response made some other point which I could not connect to my point.

Last edited:
Michael why would religion be important during a time of social unrest? How would it come in handy?
I would think, but maybe not, but I'd suppose that people's behavior would be less predictable during sudden and severe change, such as a depression or revolution, and so to make it more predictable one would need an ideology that could realine the public, effectively channeling their behavior and making it more predictable and better to control, religion could do that. So to could nationalism. Which has somewhat replaced religion. Predictable behavior in the short term could theoretically be very productive.

In the long term society needs a level of unpredictability to out compete neighboring societies. During these times, chock back the religion throttle or you'll stall your society. Communism is a good example of near total control over all aspects of life. So to Islam. Makes people predictable but stalls development.

Religion is and always has been about controlling the behavior of large numbers of people. When Generals sacrificed bulls to the Gods to win a war, I'm sure they knew it was all about boosting the moral of their solders. And etc...

S.A.M. You believe Mohammad split to moon in to two peaces, you think the Qur'an is Perfect, yeah, if I told guess what Xenu was a comic book character before Ron made him into a God, you'd still think your Theta levels were misaligned and demand I handover said comic strip - then you'd refuse to believe me when I did - You'd say it was a fraud... or that Xenu went back in time and placed the comic strip there to test you... or something.

Remember when we went on and on AND ON about the Qur'an, it's date of publication and the authors who wrote what? In the end the SAM tells me "It was perfectly sung down through the ages, all perfectly perfect right on into The Qur'an - the exact one we have today JUST the way Allah intended. Sung and Sang, Sang and Sung.... " There's nothing anyone can say to convince you otherwise. We are only recently beginning to understand the proteins involved in cementing certain ideologies permanently in place into the neural net. Once we have THAT figured out then maybe we can do something about your condition?

Other than all I can offer is my sincere apologies?
:shrug:
Michael

S.A.M. ...Mohammad ... Qur'an... Xenu ... God

Diverting as it is to see you lapse into one of your bizarre rants, may I say that even that is a cut above being a person who cannot fathom what happens to a canoe when it turns around a bend? The ability to reason in the abstract is a human quality and its quite possible that atheism is a result of a defect in that mechanism. Religious education may help to overcome this defect which explains why a few centuries after the monks decided to provide education to the non-religious, they have found their niche in the same institutions.

Diverting as it is to see you lapse into one of your bizarre rants, may I say that even that is a cut above being a person who cannot fathom what happens to a canoe when it turns around a bend? The ability to reason in the abstract is a human quality and its quite possible that atheism is a result of a defect in that mechanism. Religious education may help to overcome this defect which explains why a few centuries after the monks decided to provide education to the non-religious, they have found their niche in the same institutions.
I see where you are going and yes that's a valid point. I actually hadn't thought about it. The work with the Piraha is very contentious though. Some people say that the scientist working with them was fabricating data to continue to get funding - because it's an interesting story to tell. As for now, it's hard to say.

Here's the thing though, many Islanders tested for IQ scored extremely low. Their children score much higher. The explanation is that their children live in a much more complex word. A world that required more abstract reasoning. Could it be that complex social relationships lead to abstract thought and THIS then lead to Religion? Maybe it's living in a complex Civil society that leads to abstraction? The Islanders were religious after all.

Michael

PS: I wasn't ranting ... after 3-4 years SAM I think we can have some fun. No? :)

On this topic, I wonder, which religion do you suppose would lead to more abstract thinking? Polytheism or Monotheism? What about Philosophy? What about Buddhism? Monotheism seems kind of simple. Could it be that such simplicity actually retards abstract thought development? (I'm thinking your typical monotheist)

Is Buddhist Philosophy more thought provoking?

Michael IQ tests have been debunked. They are statistically biased towards white eroupian culture without any scientific basis.

The explanation is that their children live in a much more complex word.

Is this a magical complex word[sic!] that requires no effort on the part of the rest of society? What if the entire society is incapable of complex reasoning? What kind of society do they bequeath their children?

The work with the Piraha is very contentious though. Some people say that the scientist working with them was fabricating data to continue to get funding

Thats an interesting hypothesis, since it was an evangelical who went there to explore them and lost his faith in the process. Meanwhile, anthropologists and linguists have studied them since then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirahã_people

What is your contentious source? I'd like to read it for myself.

Oh and since you are so hung up on art, here is some Piraha art for you

Everett_cat1.jpg

Everett_tapir2.jpg

many Islanders tested for IQ scored extremely low

do you believe in the Bell Curve hypothesis?

Last edited:
Education should be concerned with teaching truth and facts.

Deliberately teaching untruths or teaching things that are not known to be true but are portrayed as truth, does a diservice to everyone, and isn't education but indoctrination and dishonesty.

this needed a bump for the thread to get back on track

the bold part is the greatest line item i have read on the concept of childrens education and our future; that i have ever read

the reason is; 'good' knowledge, grows, developes, evolves and the false or 'bad' is a loss to the common (all of us)

there is NO excuse to ever need to fib, when addressing knowledge and the progression thereof

sure your beautiful; but fibbing when it comes to defining existence (life) is not an option

for example:

life: abuses entropy

and anyone who says otherwise is a beeping liar

see the facts: if life evolved from a single celled critter as the sciences shares and also fits the 'tree of life' scenario as darwin illustrated, then over these billions of years; life did not equilibriate or we would not be here!

so did 'life' abuse entropy or not?

Back