Which is more important: Secular or Religious education

Which is more important: Secular or Religous education

• Secular education

Votes: 26 92.9%
  • Religious education

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters
I am

elaborate criticism (regardless of whether it is a "for" or "against") requires a knowledge base

Staging the claim "no knowledge base exists" is simply laziness

But that's not what we were discussing.

The contention was: religious education is not education.

Instead of agreeing or disagreeing with this, and from there articulating some sort of defense or critique thereof, all you did was flippantly make some non-relevant comment about how this is indicative of a larger problem.
So what? It may very well be so... but that's not relevant in this case.

But that's not what we were discussing.

The contention was: religious education is not education.
and the dearth of information that surrounds such a claim

Instead of agreeing or disagreeing with this, and from there articulating some sort of defense or critique thereof, all you did was flippantly make some non-relevant comment about how this is indicative of a larger problem.
So what? It may very well be so... but that's not relevant in this case.
If you categorize something as below the grade for investigation (ie - "there's nothing to investigate there") and then proceed with an analysis, you've missed an integral aspect of critical thinking.

:shrug:

If you categorize something as below the grade for investigation (ie - "there's nothing to investigate there") and then proceed with an analysis, you've missed an integral aspect of critical thinking.

:shrug:

Correct.

And yet, none of what you say whatsoever is contained in that statement.

You've become the master of misinterpretation...

religion and religious phylosophy needs to be taught just as all other classes on regular basis, our culture lacks the religious education and the morals are suffering, society is corrupt in many ways, and our goals in life entail egoistical ambitions. Our life on Earth is short, we must do everything there is to help each other and be as socially active for others, not ourselves.

You obviously have failed to understand the world has been ruled by theists the whole of history. You can blame them and their cults for lack of morals and corruption.

You obviously have failed to understand the world has been ruled by theists the whole of history. You can blame them and their cults for lack of morals and corruption.

On the other hand it is lack of religion that brought chaos, lack of morals, and corruption.

Tough question.

Both parts of my mind answer differently. Or rather than secular education is integral, but that you can't separate a person from their right to have some kind of faith. Still...secular is everything. Religion is only religion. Still, religion is meant to be immortality...I refrain from choosing.

May Darwin bless you all.

Reading comprehension problems? See previous post, again.

your post is supposition.

When I say religion I mean actually people who actually care about religion and not popes/religious power seekers who use religion as an excuse to control people.

your post is supposition.

When I say religion I mean actually people who actually care about religion and not popes/religious power seekers who use religion as an excuse to control people.

The deluded are still deluded, no matter how much they care. Running a world based on delusions doesn't work.

How do you define "important" for the individual or society?

What is an indicator of this importance?

More important for what? It depends on your purpose; religious education, indoctrination, is vastly more beneficial than secular education if your interest is creating a functional state organism.

That's a good point.

The religious and "god" have had a strangle hold on the planet for millenia and yet why is it they can't do any better tha LG, SAM and Scifes?

If ever there were better proof that god doesn't exist, I'd be hard pressed to name it.

More important for what? It depends on your purpose; religious education, indoctrination, is vastly more beneficial than secular education if your interest is creating a functional state organism.

In other words, if your interest is to control a group of people to a state ideology. That's what dictators and despots do and place themselves as the idol of worship and obedience.

In other words, if your interest is to control a group of people to a state ideology. That's what dictators and despots do and place themselves as the idol of worship and obedience.

Exactly.

I think the communists have shown that non-religious education can also be used to promote state ideology

Think of it this way:
Secular education is objective; it can apply to everyone roughly equally.
Religious education is subjective; it applies to different people in different ways.

So, secular education takes priority because it can be justifiably given to everyone in the same form. Whereas religious education can and will be different (assuming that "religious education" here means a parent raising their child in a religion).

Back