What's Worse? Christians, Help Me Please!

PsychoticEpisode said:
You missed my point...the fact hat there is an 'out' for some shows a total lack of care on God's behalf with respect to those who may have suffered at the hands of the forgiven.

The unforgiving vengeance you wish upon others will be delivered to you for every time you have hurt another.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

(Q) said:
I meant that a payment is required for every sin committed. Whether it is paid for by Jesus' Atonement or by the sinner is up to the sinner (whether he repents or not) and up to the Lord (whether He decides to forgive or not). If the sinner repents, Jesus pays the debt for him and he doesn't have to pay for it himself. If he doesn't repent, he must suffer (as in D&C 19).

Wow! The accounting department in heaven must be hell.

Don't worry. That’s not how it works. That position is pretty much the same as the catholic lying dogma of purgatory.

The mormon faith is even more despicable than catholicisim because it is in alignment with the satanic lie of the garden of Eden. satan whispered "you will be like God", just like satan wanted to be like God. Just as the mormon religion promises its followers that they will also be Gods.

PsychoticEpisode said:
Questions: If someone repents and is granted access to heaven the slate is clean upon entry into heaven, so does sinning continue? If so, what's the point? It hasn't always been rosy up there with angels getting turfed and such. Didn't Satan sin in heaven? If angels can sin up there I can see no hope for those human souls that pass through. Why can't God forgive Satan anyway? Just patch things up with the guy and maybe things on Earth will turn around.

We shall be changed upon the resurrection and we will be above angels.

1 Corinthians 6
2 Do you not know that the saints will judge the world? And if the world will be judged by you, are you unworthy to judge the smallest matters? 3 Do you not know that we shall judge angels? How much more, things that pertain to this life?

So angels like Michael and Gabriel will be lower than us.

The Bible is clear that fornicating with a child is NOT okay because fornicating is NOT okay, how much more clear do you need. Pedophilia is fornication unless you marry the child, which is not acceptable in this culture, nor should it be.

Well that still leaves us with a problem. Some of us are currently engaged in a discussion over whether gay people should have marriage rights or not. Now, let's say that homosexual marriage is eventually made legal, (which it very well might be). Because of god's laws in the bible you still know that it is wrong. It is no longer fornication, but is still detestable, as god himself said. With me so far?

Ok, now.. let's say just for arguments sake that sometime in the future it becomes legal to marry children. That would then mean god obviously no longer has an issue with kiddy fiddling. If you do, it would then come down to human morals and not god morals. god doesn't say you can't marry children, (indeed it was probably quite common back then), and so kiddy fiddling must be ok.

Even in some modern day cultures it's probably acceptable to marry youngsters - again making paedophilia fine in the eyes of god.

So.. one of those is detestable and wrong, (marriage or not), the other clearly is not - and is fully acceptable as long as you go through a 30 minute ceremony.

Adstar said:
The mormon faith is even more despicable than catholicisim because it is in alignment with the satanic lie of the garden of Eden. satan whispered "you will be like God", just like satan wanted to be like God. Just as the mormon religion promises its followers that they will also be Gods.

In the garden of Eden, Satan (as usual) told a half-truth in order to get Eve to take the forbidden fruit. The truth Satan told was that Adam and Eve would indeed become as gods, knowing good from evil. After the fruit had been eaten, God confirmed this in Genesis 3:22: "Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil." The lie that Satan told Eve was, "Ye shall not surely die." The doctrine of the deification of man is a biblical one, also, so be careful what you condemn.

It was only after humanity came to the knowledge of Good and evil that man became defective and unnacceptable to God.

Then, god can go fuck himself.

(Q) said:
It was only after humanity came to the knowledge of Good and evil that man became defective and unnacceptable to God.

Then, god can go fuck himself.

No God will not be doing that. His will reigns supreme your agreement or disagreement will only determine your eternal destination it will not impede His eternal plan.

Marlin said:
In the garden of Eden, Satan (as usual) told a half-truth in order to get Eve to take the forbidden fruit. The truth Satan told was that Adam and Eve would indeed become as gods, knowing good from evil. After the fruit had been eaten, God confirmed this in Genesis 3:22: "Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil." The lie that Satan told Eve was, "Ye shall not surely die." The doctrine of the deification of man is a biblical one, also, so be careful what you condemn.

Oh i am careful to reveal false prophets and liars who twist the truth.

Galatians 1
6 I marvel that you are turning away so soon from Him who called you in the grace of Christ, to a different gospel, 7 which is not another; but there are some who trouble you and want to pervert the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed. 9 As we have said before, so now I say again, if anyone preaches any other gospel to you than what you have received, let him be accursed

joseph smith is accursed and your faith in him and his lies will likewise accurse you.

The Galatians scripture refers to the true gospel of Jesus Christ, as restored to the earth by Joseph Smith. It is so-called "orthodox Christianity" that is accursed and which is preaching "another gospel." The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is true. Condemning it and preaching against it will accurse you.

Marlin,

Condemning it and preaching against it will accurse you.
Ahh mormonism must be true then, just like regular Christianity - show intolerance and threaten violence to those who disagree.

Sorry if I sound intolerant, but I get tired of people quoting that Galatians scripture at me, as if I had never read it or heard of it before. They invariably attack my religion with it, even though the correct interpretation of it validates Mormonism rather than denigrates it.

And it's not me doing the threatening--the Bible is the one promising a curse on those who fight the truth.

I don't see anything threatening happening between Marlin and me :confused:

I gave warning to Marlin from my faith and she likewise gave warning to me from her faith. I don't feel threatened by Marlin personally at all. ;) Nor do i feel afraid of being accursed. If Marlin is totally confident that joseph smith is a true prophet then she should feel likewise.

As for joseph smith.

Deuteronomy 18
20 But the prophet who presumes to speak a word in My name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or who speaks in the name of other gods, that prophet shall die.’ 21 And if you say in your heart, ‘How shall we know the word which the LORD has not spoken?’— 22 when a prophet speaks in the name of the LORD, if the thing does not happen or come to pass, that is the thing which the LORD has not spoken; the prophet has spoken it presumptuously; you shall not be afraid of him.

Lets look at some of the prophesies of joseph smith.

Prophecy 1 — The Coming of the Lord

President Smith then stated that the meeting had been called, because God had commanded it; and it was made known to him by vision and by the Holy Spirit. . . . it was the will of God that they should be ordained to the ministry and go forth to prune the vineyard for the last time, for the coming of the Lord, which was nigh — even fifty six years should wind up the scene. (History of the Church, Vol. 2, page 182).

This prophecy was spoken by Joseph Smith in 1835, and recorded by Oliver Cowdery. The fifty-six years were passed by 1891.

Prophecy 2 — David W. Patten to go on a mission

Verily, thus saith the Lord: It is wisdom in my servant David W. Patten, that he settle up all his business as soon as he possibly can, and make a disposition of his merchandise, that he may perform a mission unto me next spring, in company with others, even twelve including himself, to testify of my name and bear glad tidings unto the world. (Doctrine & Covenants 114:1)

This prophecy was made on April 17, 1838. David W. Patten died in October of 1838 and thus never went on a mission the following spring.

Prophecy 3 — The United States Government
to be overthrown in a few years

I prophecy in the name of the Lord God of Israel, unless the United States redress the wrongs committed upon the Saints in the state of Missouri and punish the crimes committed by her officers that in a few years the government will be utterly overthrown and wasted, and there will not be so much as a potsherd left for their wickedness in permitting the murder of men, women and children, and the wholesale plunder and extermination of thousands of her citizens to go unpunished (History of the Church, Vol. 5, page 394).

Joseph Smith made this prophecy in May 6, 1843. However, the United States Government did not redress any of the wrongs committed against the Mormons in Missouri, and now over 150 years later, the U.S. Government still stands.

Prophecy 4 — Congress to be broken up as a government

While discussing the petition to Congress, I prophesied, by virtue of the holy Priesthood vested in me, and in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, that, if Congress will not hear our petition and grant us protection, they shall be broken up as a government, and God shall damn them, and there shall be nothing left of them — not even a grease spot. (Millennial Star, Vol. 22, p. 455. See also History of the Church (HC), vol. 6, p. 116, though when this prediction was incorporated into the official history, Mormon Church leaders decided to leave out the "grease spot" part.)

The petition was not heard nor was protection granted (Deseret News, Vol. 1, p. 59). Yet, Congress was never broken up and continues to function to this day. It is interesting that the compilers of History of the Church, added an editorial note in an attempt to soften or explain this prophecy. They state that: "This prediction doubtless has reference to the party in power; to the ‘government’ considered as the administration;" (note, p. 116). According to the note in HC, this means the Democratic Party, which was in control at the time. However, the prediction is that "Congress shall be broken up as a government" and Congress is made up of representatives from both parties. The Saints were making an appeal to the General Government, not to the Democratic Party, a point made by a summary statement in the left margin beside this prophecy as it is recorded in HC.

Prophecy 5 —Finding Treasure in Salem, Massachusetts

This prophecy is recorded in Doctrine & Covenants Section 111. The introduction to this prophecy, found at the beginning of Section 111 states:

Revelation given through Joseph Smith the Prophet, at Salem, Massachusetts, August 6, 1836. HC 2:465-466. At this time the leaders of the [LDS] Church were heavily in debt due to their labors in the ministry.

1. I, the Lord your God, am not displeased with your coming this journey, notwithstanding your follies.

2. I have much treasure in this city for you, for the benefit of Zion, and many people in this city, whom I will gather out in due time for the benefit of Zion, through your instrumentality.

3. Therefore, it is expedient that you should form acquaintance with men in this city, as you shall be led, and as it shall be given you.

4. And it shall come to pass in due time that I will give this city into your hands, that you shall have power over it, insomuch that they shall not discover your secret parts; and its wealth pertaining to gold and silver shall be yours.

5. Concern not yourselves about your debts, for I will give you power to pay them.

No treasure was ever discovered, nor did Salem ever fell into the hands of the Mormons.

Prophecy 6 — Pestilence, Hail, Famine & Earthquake
to Destroy the Wicked

And now I am prepared to say by the authority of Jesus Christ, that not many years shall pass away before the United States shall present such a scene of bloodshed as has not a parallel in the history of our nation; pestilence, hail, famine, and earthquake will sweep the wicked of this generation from off the face of the land, to open and prepare the way for the return of the lost tribes of Israel from the north country. The people of the Lord, those who have complied with the requirements of the new covenant, have already commenced gathering together to Zion, which is in the state of Missouri; therefore I declare unto you the warning which the Lord has commanded to declare unto this generation, remembering that the eyes of my Maker are upon me, and that to him I am accountable for every word I say, wishing nothing worse to my fellow-men than their eternal salvation; therefore, "Fear God, and give glory to Him, for the hour of His judgment is come." Repent ye, repent ye, and embrace the everlasting covenant and flee to Zion, before the overflowing scourge overtake you, for there are those now living upon the earth whose eyes shall not be closed in death until they see all these things, which I have spoken, fulfilled (History of the Church, Vol. 1, pp. 315-316).

Such a widespread destruction of the wicked of that generation never occurred.

Prophecy 7 — Temple to be Built in Zion, Missouri

This prophecy comes directly from Doctrine & Covenants Section 84, the introduction of which states:

Revelation given through Joseph Smith the Prophet, at Kirtland, Ohio, September 22 and 23, 1832. HC 1:286-295.

1. A revelation of Jesus Christ unto his servant Joseph Smith, Jun., and six elders, as they united their hearts and lifted their voices on high.

2. Yea, the word of the Lord concerning his church, established in the last days for the restoration of his people, as he has spoken by the mouth of his prophets, and for the gathering of his saints to stand upon Mount Zion, which shall be the city of New Jerusalem.

3. Which city shall be built, beginning at the temple lot, which is appointed by the finger of the Lord, in the western boundaries of the State of Missouri, and dedicated by the hand of Joseph Smith, Jun., and others with whom the Lord was well pleased.

4. Verily, this is the word of the Lord, that the city New Jerusalem shall be built by the gathering of the saints, beginning at this place, even the place of the temple, which temple shall be reared in this generation.

5. For verily this generation shall not all pass away until an house shall be built unto the Lord, and a cloud shall rest upon it, which cloud shall be even the glory of the Lord, which shall fill the house.

The Mormons were forced to flee Missouri due to persecution and a temple was never built on the "temple lot" in the lifetime of Joseph Smith or within the generation of his contemporaries.

I do not fear joseph smith. :) Nor do i place my eternal salvation in the hands of any man. Jesus gave us all we need to know.

Adstar, it's "he," not "she." :)

Please read the following web page as a rebuttal to your accusations about Joseph Smith being a false prophet:

The Nature of Prophets and Prophecy

Here is a small quote from that website, but please read the whole article:

Based on the false premise that "all you need is one false prophecy to have a false prophet," some critics have ignored many of Joseph Smith's prophecies and have zeroed in on ones they consider to be false. But they typically identify unfulfilled commandments, opinions, and counsel as "false prophecies." In doing so, they forsake the rules laid out in Deuteronomy 18:20-22, ignoring the fact that the passage defines a false prophecy as one uttered in the name of the Lord which does not come to pass.

The main problem is that the critics do not apply these same standards to biblical prophecies. And when we try to show that, by these standards, many of the biblical prophets fail the tests they have set up for Joseph Smith, we are accused of "Bible-slamming." To those who ascribe more divinity to the Bible than to God, such a "sin" is worse than blasphemy itself. Honesty, however, impels us to submit the biblical prophets to the same tests as those applied to Joseph Smith.

For this reason, following the logic of the critics, we would have to conclude that Moses-to whom the revelation in Deuteronomy 18:20-22 is ascribed-was a false prophet.

Last edited:
Some false prophecies in the Bible, ibid.

The Lord told David that the men of Keilah "will deliver thee up [to Saul]" (1 Samuel 23:12). This did not happen, however, because David fled from the city (verses 13-14).

Isaiah told king Hezekiah, "Thus saith the Lord, Set thine house in order; for thou shalt die, and not live." (2 Kings 20:1) But after the king pleaded with the Lord, the prophet delivered a new message, saying that fifteen years would be added to his life (verses 2-6).

The Lord told Moses that he would destroy the Israelites and make of Moses a greater nation than they. When Moses protested that this would be wrong, the Lord changed his mind (Numbers 14:11-20).

The Lord said through Elisha that the combined armies of Israel, Judah and Edom would "smite every fenced city" of Moab and that he would "deliver the Moabites also into your hand." But one city, Kir-hareseth, was not taken. When Mesha, the Moabite king, sacrificed his son on the city wall, the Israelites left and went home. The prophecy was not fulfilled because the Israelites would not cooperate with the Lord's wishes.

Through Ezekiel, the Lord declared that the Lebanese city of Tyre would be destroyed by the Babylonian king Nebuchadrezzar, never to be rebuilt (Ezekiel 26, especially verses 4, 7, 12, 14). Though Nebuchadrezzar laid siege against Tyre from 598 to 586 B.C., he was never able to take the city. The Lord then told Ezekiel that, in compensation for his not taking Tyre, Nebuchadrezzar would be given the land of Egypt, (Ezekiel 29:17-10). Its people would be slain and its rivers dry up (Ezekiel 30:10-12; 32:11-15) and the land of Egypt would remain uninhabited for forty years (Ezekiel 29:11-13). But though Nebuchadrezzar defeated an Egyptian army in battle, he never conquered Egypt either.

Isaiah, in his prophesy against Babylon (Isaiah 13:1), declared that the Medes would slay men, women and children and that Babylon would "be as when God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah. It shall never be inhabited, neither shall it be dwelt in from generation to generation" (Isaiah 13:17-20). In 539 B.C., Cyrus, king of the Medes and Persians, took Babylon without bloodshed, and made it one of the principal cities of his empire. Babylon remained inhabited for centuries afterward.

No God will not be doing that.

Perhaps not in your imagination, but certainly mine.

joseph smith is accursed and your faith in him and his lies will likewise accurse you.

Condemning it and preaching against it will accurse you.

Sheesh! It's like kindergarten in here.

One thing is clear though, either adstar or marlin or both are wrong -- something they both can't possibly deny.

marlin does'nt the book of mormon contain, Injustice, Absurdities, Intolerance, Cruelty and Violence, Contradictions, the same as the bible.
are'nt the two book pure fiction, and does'nt the book of mormon, plagiarise the bible to a large extent. your both as bad as each other, foolish enough to believe these stories, you are your own worst enemies, I feel sorry for you both.
wake up.

audible said:
marlin does'nt the book of mormon contain, Injustice, Absurdities, Intolerance, Cruelty and Violence, Contradictions, the same as the bible.
are'nt the two book pure fiction, and does'nt the book of mormon, plagiarise the bible to a large extent. your both as bad as each other, foolish enough to believe these stories, you are your own worst enemies, I feel sorry for you both.
wake up.

audible, someone said that all of our lives would be X-rated if everything about us were made into a movie. Even the best works of fiction and nonfiction contain the things you listed above. It is absurd to expect that a work about humanity *not* contain those things.

The Book of Mormon quotes the Bible. So what? The New Testament also quotes the Old Testament. Nephi wanted to make sure that his posterity had the words of Isaiah and some other prophets of Old Testament times, so he included them in the Book of Mormon.

I have a testimony that the Bible and the Book of Mormon are true. God gave me this testimony, as I have said numerous times on this message board, in my heart and intellect. If you want to be convinced of the truth, it is God who will convince you, not me or Adstar.

A note about prophesies -

Everyone can deliver prophecies, but they are better known as speculations. If you have a good grasp of history and an astute instinct for human behavior then you may do well predicting some future events. If you make enough then statistically some will come close and of course others will simply be wrong.

The mormon prophecies appear to nicely conform to mathematical probabilities, i.e. there is nothing magical about them, and of course are not god inspired.

Marlin

I have a testimony that the Bible and the Book of Mormon are true. God gave me this testimony, as I have said numerous times on this message board, in my heart and intellect.
And many Muslims say the exact same thing about their Allah and the Quran. Oh and the adherents of Judaism seem to make the same claims.

Given that the doctrines and holy texts of all these religions are different and in all cases contradict one another on major issues then we have no problem concluding that not all of them are true, and perhaps none of them are true. The common factor that motivates religious adherents to say such things is almost certainly not a mystical and mythical supernatural but their excited imaginations.

If you want to be convinced of the truth, it is God who will convince you, not me or Adstar.
Similar statements have been made repeatedly in the 5+ years of sciforums and when challenged no religionist has been able to show how such claims differ from pure imagination.

I have no problem using Occam’s razor on this one – the choice is (1) an incredible baseless claim with no precedent or any means to show it is possible, or (2) an imaginative fantasy.

Marlin – if you expect to be taken seriously then please support your assertions with something more than claims that cannot be distinguished from fantasy.

Back