What would it take to convince you that you were wrong?

I never said I was better than anyone else. Just different. I have chosen to believe. I could have said no and led a sin-filled/pagan/pathetic life.
If that's not a blatant implication that anyone who doesn't believe in god, has a bad life, I don't know what is. I'm quite content and happy with where I am; good job, just bought a house, building a mountain bike park. I'm quite happy. Just because I don't believe in (or even would accept if He did exist) your god, doesn't mean my life is sin-filled OR pathetic. :mad: Please don't make generalizations or stereotype.
I chose God. And for that I got happiness, peace, joy beyond imagination, and all my heart's desires. Now all I want to do is get other people saved so they can experience this joy too, serve God, and go to Heaven.:D
Been there. Done that. Too many unanswered prayers (if I pray to/ask Him for something (that I need/within reason), I expect it to be answered quickly. He didn't. You might respond by saying that God answers prayers in His own time...not acceptable. We don't live that long. We don't have that kind of time. So I don't accept the fact that He existed.

I never said I was better than anyone else. Just different. I have chosen to believe. I could have said no and led a sin-filled/pagan/pathetic life. I chose God. And for that I got happiness, peace, joy beyond imagination, and all my heart's desires. Now all I want to do is get other people saved so they can experience this joy too, serve God, and go to Heaven.:D

M*W: Sandy, the fact that you believe you are "different" from others tells me you are living a delusion. One who is not a christian does not necessarily live a sin-filled/pagan/pathetic life! That is also delusional! Non-christians can very well be honorable, intelligent, caring individuals. They make better parents, because they don't lie to their children.

About getting other people saved. Why do you feel this is your obligation? I find this to be overstepping your boundaries, meddling into other's private lives. If people aren't going to a church, that means they are not interested in religion. Why don't you just leave people alone? If you were such a great example of a christian, don't you think people would come to you and say, "Sandy, I can tell by your extreme happiness and good fortune that you are truly a christian, and I want to become like you. Please help me to be saved."

What, you say? Nobody has ever said that to you? I wonder why?

"Your heart can't decieve you"??
What Hallmark card did you get that trite nonsense from?

Tell me, how can you tell if things come from your "heart" or your "head"?
What about the girl who stays in an abusive relationship because she "loves him", is her "heart" lying to her?
My guess would be that you would say that she is beogn fooled by her head, right?
That's awfully convenient, isn't it?
Later you could always say it was your head, not your heart.
So then, how can you be sure?

If that's so, how do you know you aren't - she is as convinced as you are that her heart is telling her she is in love and should stay with this man who may kill her in a drunken rage.

Your heart pumps blood.
Did you know that people used to think emotions come from the liver?
Could your liver lie to you?
It's childish nonsense.

This is not a fight of Gods, is a fight of men. There is only one God, and it is for everyone, from the Mayans to the Egyptians, from the Hindus to the Christians, even the atheists. It is the same true God, and to try to give a concept on what is God and what are his intentions is just a waste of time.

Very well said!
What people like Sandy and other fundamentalists fail to realize is that all the Gods and Goddesses are simply HUMAN BEINGS interpretation of God.
It all leads back to the same source...one God.
When I study the nature of the biblical God Yahweh he does have his good points but by and large his often harsh and cruel nature is a reflection of the bronze age hebrews. Very strict,xenophobic,ultra patriarchial...sound familiar ?;)

its all physical, all is part of this world, and none of you. Your body is a puppet controlled by laws of this world. The heart beats until it can't no more. The mind thinks until it's last thought ceases to.

And your spirit lives on forever. In Heaven or hell. You get to choose.

Getting other people saved is not my "obligation." It's God's command to His children. People do ask me about God and my faith almost daily. They say I have a glow, a passionate happiness and joy. Then I tell them how it is obtained.

If that's not a blatant implication that anyone who doesn't believe in god, has a bad life, I don't know what is. I'm quite content and happy with where I am; good job, just bought a house, building a mountain bike park. I'm quite happy. Just because I don't believe in (or even would accept if He did exist) your god, doesn't mean my life is sin-filled OR pathetic. :mad: Please don't make generalizations or stereotype.

Been there. Done that. Too many unanswered prayers (if I pray to/ask Him for something (that I need/within reason), I expect it to be answered quickly. He didn't. You might respond by saying that God answers prayers in His own time...not acceptable. We don't live that long. We don't have that kind of time. So I don't accept the fact that He existed.

I was talking about myself. Quit twisting/distorting my words. It's getting old.:mad:
All that stuff that you have and are doing is great. But it's temporary. You can't take it with you. You go ahead and reject Him. He still loves you and hasn't given up. How sad that you did.

I was talking about myself. Quit twisting/distorting my words. It's getting old.:mad:
All that stuff that you have and are doing is great. But it's temporary. You can't take it with you. You go ahead and reject Him. He still loves you and hasn't given up. How sad that you did.

Whatever. Besides, if He does exist, I'll take my chances in hell. I don't want to follow someone who doesn't answer my prayers (on my time. sounds selfish but if there's something I need, I expect promptness) or forces His so called 'beloved' children with two choices: follow Him or burn forever in hell.
Besides, rejecting Him is considered blasphemy...an unpardonable sin, so theoretically, He has given up...assuming that He exists. I don't think so though.

Nope. Not even all that.
You see, this is why I'm always so astounded when Christians accuse atheists of being close-minded or of ignoring evidence for god. You have just admitted that even if there was very good evidence that your religion was wrong, you would refuse to acknowledge it.
Satan gives power to his followers. I am not deceived.
So if people from another religion used seemingly divine powers to miraculously heal the sick, feed the hungry, and bring about world peace...you would automatically assume that it was the work of satan? :bugeye:

I never said I was better than anyone else. Just different. I have chosen to believe. I could have said no and led a sin-filled/pagan/pathetic life. I chose God. And for that I got happiness, peace, joy beyond imagination, and all my heart's desires. Now all I want to do is get other people saved so they can experience this joy too, serve God, and go to Heaven.:D
So basically you saying that it's either God / Christ, or a sinful, pagan, pathetic life? By the way, Pagan does not = athiest.

M*W: Then why does god allow you to deceive yourself?

He gave us free will. Free choice. We can choose what we want to believe. Satan is the great deceiver. The father of lies. His job is to steal, kill, and destroy: your spirit, your mind, your will, your emotions, your health, your joy, your relationships, your life.:(

Thank God we have Jesus. When we stay in the Word and use it against satan, he trembles. So do his demons. The Word of God is truth and life.

but my heart nether tells me anythink it's my brain my heart is told by my brain to keep beating and that's as far as my heart goes

c´mon dude, we are talking about intuition here, not our actually internal organ that is the heart.

If you are an atheist, what would it take to convince you that a god existed?

If a life form popped into existence in front of me, said "Hi I'm 'God'", and turned my cornflakes into a live salmnon with a thought, then that would be a great start.

In other words. Evidence.

So...what would it take to make you reconsider your beliefs?

Evidence :).

Sandy,

I'm inclined to think you've had a very troubled past.....drug abuse, physical abuse, mental illness, or whatever. And when you hit bottom you sought out and received help or counseling. Once the insurance ran out thought, you needed to replace this ‘hole’ with something, and therefore turned to God for self medication.
Everyone here knows of at least one person that fit this category. It's a predictable yet destructive pattern.
My sister is a psychologist and has seen this scenario numerous times throughout her career…..someone who has had a severe alcohol / drug problem, had abusive parents or spouse, or generally a very troubled life, end up turning to Jesus just before or shortly after counseling has ended.
I'm sure that deep down inside you have your doubts and are holding on by a thread But this will help you in the long term. Sooner or later this defense will break down, as it always does, and you’ll be back in rehab / counseling soon after another episode of depression or bout of self destructive behavior.
I hope for the best and wish you well, but believe me, this all-consuming preoccupation with Christ or being 'Saved' is just a temporary solution to a deeper problem.

Please note, I am not pointing a finger at all who are devoutly religious, but this person in particular has displayed a very troubling pattern in her thought process and it should be obvious to anyone here that she is an exception. Just note the anger and hate coupled with her low self esteem (promoting her looks and success as if she is trying to convince herself more than others.) Notice that she suddenly showed up a little over a month ago and has over 1500 posts, averaging 41 per day. She needs someone to talk to or at. For now we are filling a need, but who knows for how long.
Believe me….someday soon we’ll all be wonder why she suddenly disappeared from the form. You’ll know why.

Yes well in my logic, having no knowledge of these "otherworldly" claims, I would require at least as much convincing as Abraham or Israel(the historical figure) or anyone whom got to witness a "real" miracle. I do not guarantee I will see it the same way however...

M*W: Tell us more about this "manifestation" you had.

i allready posted it a long time ago M*W, you forgot.:D It is not that big a deal, at least not to me. There is not much point in discussing it, too much reliance on faith and even i can ony be about 78% certain. i want to say 100% but i dont think that is phsically possible- faith relies on that shadow of a doubt so i can only say that to be 100% certain is not part of the plan.

the main thing is freewill and choosing your path.

im scared to choose a faith how can we know wich one is wrong and wich one is wrong?

It is good that you feel this way, believe it or not, it is way better than believing in a religion you don´t trust. Religion is good for research, it has guided me towards a path I really want to follow. But I didn´t limit myself to a specific one, but to all of them. To think that there is a path for inner-realization common for everyone is a fallacy, we are all different, have experienced different things, and therefore, need to experience different things in order to fulfill our destiny as God intended. This only means that there are paths to inner-realization as there are people in this Earth.

Actually, believe is not good, you believe with your brain, and your brain is very limited and tricky. What you got to do is trust. If you don´t believe in God, then you probably have the wrong concept of God, most people do, but that is nothing, that is good. Because your inner-voice will tell you allways to keep seeking for God, even if you don´t know it consciosly.
God is life, is existence, is everything. It is our very living essense, we are alive, all living beings are miracles, yet most people don´t see it, because they are used to it.
To do God´s will, only means that you do exactly what nature needs you to do, not what men need you to do. Who can you trust more than nature? If nature created a flower, if nature created a sunset, a sun, a moon, nature cannot be wrong!! It is the human brain that is wrong.
We are born pure, we are born to do nature´s will, but we are perverted the moment our parent don´t let you do what you really want to do. So kids start creating what we call "ego", in order to survive in society.

When I say that we are born pure, it means we are born an individual, unique. But society make us be all alike, there are no individuals, only a few, what there is is a massive histeria, you follow others, that is the nature of society.
We are only animals with consciousness, and consciousness is caused by our evolved brain, nothing more, nothing else. But even given the fact that we are animals, we think we are more than them why? Because society has made us "believe" that, it is caused by your ego.

You have seen instinct, intuition and intelligence, and that is our true nature, that is the word of God speaking to us everyday. Yet we are told not to follow our intuition, our instinct, because we believe we are better than animals and we use rationality as an excuse. That is not real, that is an illusion of the ego.
So God speaks to you everyday, and animals do God´s will perfectly, but we humans not. Because we believe we are bigger than that, and that is a fallacy.

This ego we create to survive in society, is necessary, and our brain does it by itself. But the ego separates God´s will from our brain, now we are 2 people, what we think and trust, and what we speak up and believe.
This is hipocresy, like a Christian that says he/she is above sexual dessire, is only in denial, and one day or another, this sexual tension is going to have bad consequences.
Why not accept sex as it is?
Sex is normal, it is all our energy focused on creating more life, is only nature trying to survive, and we cannot fight that.
But yet people try to fight that, because bramacharya is an ideal, like priests and monks, in denial of their sexual dessires.
We first gotta transform this energy into consciousness, and then the bramacharya comes by itself, not before that. Our sexual dessire naturally goes away when the life energy is concentrated in our consciousness.
But only by meditation you achieve this, and meditation can mean many things, not only sitting in an uncofortable position and closing your eyes, meditation can be dancing, can be screaming, can be sitting in silence... Meditation means listening to your inner-self.

Back