What are the odds of a religion being the "right one"?

But there is exactly one right explanation for everything. That explanation is included in the infinite number of "beliefs" ("beliefs" is more than just religions. It's all explanations imaginable, for what the ultimate truth is about the origin of everything).
So because there is exactly one right explanation of mathematics, only one of the schools that teach it from toddlers to PhD's is correct?
Or are you willing to concede that the variety is a necessary consequence of the various individuals?

No.

Failure to have any valid points in a debate and still wanting to express your opinion without being able to come up with real arguments is what results in futile communication.

Please relate to the question at hand or leave the thread.
Its spot on actually.

Your concern is not about analyzing the "right option", but rather about about invalidating all options.

Classic case of logic hijacked by values.
:shrug:

In an extension of a talk about Pascal's Wager in a different thread, I want to ask everyone this question.

There are a lot of religions in the world. New ones are created all the time. How do you determine what the chances are for each of the religions to be real and the other just superstitions?

Personally I KNOW that Pastafarianism is the one true religion, but I'm sure that other religious people feel there same way about their religion as well.

So let's hear.
YoYoPapaya
This is actually a fairly easy question. IF we "assume" a maximum of one "true" religion, (for a given value of "true"), THEN It is either 0/TotalNumberOfReligions or 1/TotalNumberOfReligions. Now, how many religions have we got?

Its spot on actually.

Your concern is not about analyzing the "right option", but rather about about invalidating all options.

Classic case of logic hijacked by values.

Feel free to refute my question. I am still waiting. I haven't seen anything remotely close to challenging the logic behind it.

This is actually a fairly easy question. IF we "assume" a maximum of one "true" religion, (for a given value of "true"), THEN It is either 0/TotalNumberOfReligions or 1/TotalNumberOfReligions. Now, how many religions have we got?

You can't just use the number of religions we got, because that would invalidate future religions.

there is no way to answer this question because they are all unknowns.

they could all be wrong or they could all have something right and wrong with each one.

Whatever you want to call or define as god has to be throughout the universe. The chances that god and the true religion have only only been discovered by the residents of the planet Earth are probably at least a trillion or more to one. Any time you hear that Earth is the center of universe, you can safely forget that idea. So the chances of the true religion being on this planet are not one divided by the number of religions on this planet but rather one divided by at least a trillion or more. There is also no sacred ground on this planet so you can kiss that concept good bye. That is one of the inherent problems with religion, it is based on discrimination, a bad start when one is talking for god of the universe. And yes I believe that Jesus was much more than a man, as well as the fact that with a lot of work any one can be Jesus again. As far as the antichrist goes, we got millions of them, you can find one just about anywhere. Their power is in their followers and nothing else.

there is no way to answer this question because they are all unknowns.

they could all be wrong or they could all have something right and wrong with each one.

But there has to be exactly one universal truth. One explanation that is exactly right about everything. This one explanation is in the mix with all these other ideas/religions/beliefs (infinite). The fact that it is unknown which one, is a precondition for my equation.

Last edited:
Oooh - good point... And do we only count major denominations? Or do we break it down into sects and cults?

We break down every little different interpretation of all religions in an infinite number of ways and we also include the infinite number of potential religions.

I thought post 61 was a joke or a bad attempt at derailing the thread. It doesn't relate to my equation at all. You're talking about schoolclasses and individuals when these are of no importance to the question at hand.

Let me spell it out for you again:

1. There is exactly one objective universal truth, the explanation for everything.

2. There are infinite number of imagined explanations for everything. Some of these we call religions. Only one of these infinite explanations is the correct one.

3. When trying to determine what the chances are for any given explanation to be the exact whole truth you get 1/x where x approaches infinity.

-------------------------------------

Try and look at each of the three points and see if you can find something that doesn't make sense. Then we can talk about it.

I thought post 61 was a joke or a bad attempt at derailing the thread. It doesn't relate to my equation at all. You're talking about schoolclasses and individuals when these are of no importance to the question at hand.
It brings up the point of "truth" and how nonsensical it is to expect it to have one universal application

Let me spell it out for you again:

1. There is exactly one objective universal truth, the explanation for everything.

2. There are infinite number of imagined explanations for everything. Some of these we call religions. Only one of these infinite explanations is the correct one.

3. When trying to determine what the chances are for any given explanation to be the exact whole truth you get 1/x where x approaches infinity.
kind of like there is an infinite number of ways to mathematically express 7 ( eg 3+4, -2x-3+1, square root 49, etc) as well as infinite number of ways not to express it (eg 3+2) ..... so go figure

-------------------------------------

Try and look at each of the three points and see if you can find something that doesn't make sense. Then we can talk about it.
your initial premise that truth has a singular expression (or that in the absence of a singular expression, any expression is just as valid as any other) doesn't appear to be prevalent in any discipline of knowledge, much less anything to do specifically with religion/philosophy.

Sounds like your changing your story now? You made this topic about religion, but number 2 above seems to make it look like religion is just a small part of the point you are trying to make.

Personally I don't think the scientists have the reality of the universe down very well yet, but when it comes to religion which is nothing more than social superstition, the chances of it being correct is zero. It really doesn't matter what or how many people imagine it, it's all irrelevant non-reality.

It brings up the point of "truth" and how nonsensical it is to expect it to have one universal application

So what do you suggest? There is more than one universal explanation for everything?

kind of like there is an infinite number of ways to mathematically express 7 ( eg 3+4, -2x-3+1, square root 49, etc) as well as infinite number of ways not to express it (eg 3+2) ..... so go figure

No. If 7 is the truth, then all the rest of numbers up to infinity is possible but wrong explanations for the truth.

your initial premise that truth has a singular expression (or that in the absence of a singular expression, any expression is just as valid as any other) doesn't appear to be prevalent in any discipline of knowledge, much less anything to do specifically with religion/philosophy.

Other than the fact that many if not all religions claim to be the truth about everything.

Sounds like your changing your story now? You made this topic about religion, but number 2 above seems to make it look like religion is just a small part of the point you are trying to make.

Personally I don't think the scientists have the reality of the universe down very well yet, but when it comes to religion which is nothing more than social superstition, the chances of it being correct is zero. It really doesn't matter what or how many people imagine it, it's all irrelevant non-reality.

It doesn't really matter if you call them religions, beliefs or theories.
I agree with you about science. Your point about superstition is an opinion.

How do you determine what the chances are for each of the religions to be real and the other just superstitions?

If they talk about a supernatural being that influences the world, the chances that it is true are almost zero.

The idea is that based on cold cruel science there is one universal theory that explains everything. Based on religion there are an infinite number of concepts floating around. The chance of a religion on Earth being remotely close to reality is probably non existent.

Back