What are the odds of a religion being the "right one"?

And there in lies the problem. You can't prove that God is real, so what's the point of this conversation?

I don't think you understand my point. Let's say for the sake of the argument that we're not talking religion but "truths about everything". There is one explanation that is true. There are infinite possible beliefs about what this "ultimate truth" is. 1/x where x approaches infinite is approaching zero. Is this number so small that we can ignore it?

i think there is something to do with one's own wiring. people tend to think they choose their religion and preferences but in some way i think it's a matter of one's nature. they are just going to be be inclined to some vs others or none at all.

I don't think you understand my point. Let's say for the sake of the argument that we're not talking religion but "truths about everything". There is one explanation that is true. There are infinite possible beliefs about what this "ultimate truth" is. 1/x where x approaches infinite is approaching zero. Is this number so small that we can ignore it?

I do understand your point, but it's nonsense. Any persons belief may or may not be based on reality and you want to somehow turn that into an equation that has some meaning. Give me a break.

Think of it like this:

What underlies your concern about not choosing "the right explanation"?

I'm not concerned. Don't project your own fears on me. I know you are looking for a haven. That's not me though.

That's an opinion. Now please post on topic things here. If you want to question my beliefs, you can PM me.

The motivation for asking a question is as much part of the question as the verbal utterance.
Failure to acknowledge and address this results in futile communication.

The motivation for asking a question is as much part of the question as the verbal utterance.
Failure to acknowledge and address this results in futile communication.

No.

Failure to have any valid points in a debate and still wanting to express your opinion without being able to come up with real arguments is what results in futile communication.

Please relate to the question at hand or leave the thread.

Since religion was made by man why shouldn't we have a being called God. Why don't we just randomly select an unborn baby and name him God. Then every religion will have to seek out and find this individual for them to know God. Then any religion who was willing to seek out man instead of driving them away would be right.

Have no bias and force every religion to blindly follow the tradition or else the scientific community will excommunicate them.

It would be impossible to calculate. There is zero evidence that any religion has any basis in fact. So I guess the best answer is they all have exactly the same odds of being correct.

But there is exactly one right explanation for everything. That explanation is included in the infinite number of "beliefs" ("beliefs" is more than just religions. It's all explanations imaginable, for what the ultimate truth is about the origin of everything).

I have contemplated numbering all the religions, rolling a set of RPG dice to pick one at random, and believing as fervently as possible in that faith for the next week.
Then, a different one the next.

Belief, you see, is looked at in some esoteric circles as a tool to be used.Therefore i am looking at that as a potential exercise to sharpen that tool.

Interesting?
I think so.

Ritual also works as a tool to intensify belief...although in my case it only works temporarily. There's everyday consciousness, and ritual consciousness.

I need to meditate more often.:rolleyes:

Birch said:
i think there is something to do with one's own wiring.

I agree totally. I think atheists just don't need to believe in deities, so:shrug:

Ah, yes, the "Ours is the REAL one" argument.
Actually its more "yours is the false argument".

If one can not distinguish between a principle and a detail, one could cite the variety within medical practice (divorced from the principle of "improving health") to indicate a bunch of bozoes who don't know what they are doing.

Back