Topless Women March for Right to Go Topless

They are getting civilised are they not? Do they take to the streets for the right to wear clothes?

They are getting civilised are they not? Do they take to the streets for the right to wear clothes?

So let's track this line of argument. SAM mentions women in the Congo not wearing blouses or shirts. Then I say I can understand why they might not want to. Lucysnow finds images of some Congolese women who are wearing blouses. And then this is used to mock
the other side's argument
or perhaps
the women in the US who marched?

When in fact all Lucysnow's post did was challenge SAM's assertion about Congolese women.

But somehow you got us with this one.

I'd be interested to know whether it was the men in the Congo who first abandoned toplessness or the women.

I'd also be more interested in when the good people of NY get a woman Governer. Or a woman President. Has a black guy made governer in NY yet? I understand that would clear the way for a woman.

So let's track this line of argument. SAM mentions women in the Congo not wearing blouses or shirts. Then I say I can understand why they might not want to. Lucysnow finds images of some Congolese women who are wearing blouses. And then this is used to mock
the other side's argument
or perhaps
the women in the US who marched?

When in fact all Lucysnow's post did was challenge SAM's assertion about Congolese women.

But somehow you got us with this one.

Oh please Doreen! Take a valium. Sam is and was being facetious even I could see that when she brought up the image of african women (she could have even used the example of some Asian tribes) going about their daily life topless with a child hanging from their tit. Couldn't you sense the irony? :rolleyes:

Yes, it's hard to stay abreast of it. The bare truth is, it's an issue that is more imagined than validated by society.

Oh please Doreen! Take a valium. Sam is and was being facetious even I could see that when she brought up the image of african women (she could have even used the example of some Asian tribes) going about their daily life naked with a child hanging from their tit. Couldn't you sense the irony? :rolleyes:
Actually I would have thought she would not have used stereotypical images of non-western groups in that way. As far as valium, I was responding to the apparant mania surrounding the argument shown in your last post

if we are really going to lower ourselves to ad homs based on our guesses about the emotional intensity of other posters.

But let's not do that any more. What the heck. It's kind of a tired form of ad hom often aimed at women.

Oh please Doreen! Take a valium. Sam is and was being facetious even I could see that when she brought up the image of african women (she could have even used the example of some Asian tribes) going about their daily life topless with a child hanging from their tit. Couldn't you sense the irony? :rolleyes:

No no no. I am not being facetious. I am very very serious.

What the hell is so liberating about being just like men?

Why in Gods name do women allow men to set the standards of acceptable behaviour?

I'd be interested to know whether it was the men in the Congo who first abandoned toplessness or the women.

I'd also be more interested in when the good people of NY get a woman Governer. Or a woman President. Has a black guy made governer in NY yet? I understand that would clear the way for a woman.
OK, so you like LS think the issue is a minor one and think other issues should be discussed. I hope you find a way to do this and I only wish I could think of a way for you to start threads on topics you think are important. Then you both wouldn't be trapped her discussing something that does not matter to you both. Maybe another poster will have a idea how this could happen. We can only hope.

It has probably more to do with development than anything else. While in Luang Prabang, Laos I was about to take a boat trip down the Mekong and as I and a few friends were getting into a boat there was this woman bathing topless in a sarong, she was oblivious to us, children also tend to go swimming buck naked. Anyway she would not have left the river to go into town without being fully wrapped as most of the women are fully dressed. If you go into the minority tribal areas there are still women who go about topless (mostly older women as the one bathing in the Mekong) but this is becoming less and less as the young have taken to being fully dressed as they are becoming less and less isolated and more and more integrated into the rest of society where of course women are fully dressed. I don't think it has anything to do with their men.

Why in Gods name do women allow men to set the standards of acceptable behaviour?
It sounds like you are assuming that women do not want to go topless and that their only motivation is to keep up with the Joneses (if only that was slang for penis). I don't think this is the case, but if you can explain how you know this it might change matters.

This really makes me want to put on high heels, a mini skirt and show off my narrow muscular hips.

Gonna party hard feeling equal to womanhood.

Wait a second... I don't WANT to dress like that...

Sorry. Dunno what got into me there.

This really makes me want to put on high heels, a mini skirt and show off my narrow muscular hips.

See? Men have more sense about what makes up their self.

Women, they want to wear pants, take off their shirts and cut off their hair [and shave their legs, but thats a different story]

For some reason, women equate freedom with being just like men.

Actually I would have thought she would not have used stereotypical images of non-western groups in that way. As far as valium, I was responding to the apparant mania surrounding the argument shown in your last post

if we are really going to lower ourselves to ad homs based on our guesses about the emotional intensity of other posters.

But let's not do that any more. What the heck. It's kind of a tired form of ad hom often aimed at women.

Dear you seem to be the one suffering from mania, a mania marked by an over zealous seriousness on this issue. Telling you to take a valium is not an ad hom as many here can tell you if I were to insult you it would be quite in your face.

Jesus you would think we were talking about women fighting against purdah or something. Relax, its good for you:p

Please don't! I've been to Lucky Chow's here in NYC and I tell ya some of those guys outdo many of us gals:p

Scary how perfect they can look! If only they weren't so camp.

For some reason, women equate freedom with being just like men.

I agree. But I don't think its all women from all cultures, I think its mostly a fucked up neurotic american woman thing.

They confuse women's rights and equality with 'being like a man'. A sign of neurosis if you ask me.

By the way you are correct. It is time we have a woman mayor or governor in NY. There was a chance for Bella Abzug but she lost to Koch. We'll see what happens in the future. No one ever thought there would be a black president and yet here he is.

Back