The War on Christmas

But it's not.
Many religious have their own celebrations for Winter solstice. And it's also the day when people celebrate their family relationships and consumerism. One jolly fest!

But it's not.
Many religious have their own celebrations for Winter solstice. And it's also the day when people celebrate their family relationships and consumerism. One jolly fest!

It is. It always will be. Other religions have their own things. You don't see anyone trying to destroy Ramadan, Hanukkah, etc... So why can't everyone just leave Christmas alone? I think it's because of the old darkness vs. light/good vs. evil/God vs. satan thing...

"Christmas is an annual holiday that celebrates the birth of Jesus. The date of the celebration is traditional, and is not considered to be his actual date of birth. Christmas festivities often combine the commemoration of Jesus' birth with various secular customs, many of which have been influenced by earlier winter festivals.

A winter festival was traditionally the most popular festival of the year in many cultures. Reasons included less agricultural work needing to be done during the winter, as well as people expecting longer days and shorter nights after the winter solstice in the Northern Hemisphere. In part, the Christmas celebration was created by the early Church in order to entice pagan Romans to convert to Christianity without losing their own winter celebrations.[5][4] Most of the most important gods in the religions of Ishtar and Mithra had their birthdays on December 25. Various traditions are considered to have been syncretised from winter festivals including Saturnalia, Natalis Solis Invicti and Yule.

It is unknown exactly when or why December 25 became associated with Christ's birth. The New Testament does not give a specific date. Sextus Julius Africanus popularized the idea that Christ was born on December 25 in his Chronographiai, a reference book for Christians written in AD 221. This date is nine months after the traditional date of the Incarnation (March 25), now celebrated as the Feast of the Annunciation. March 25 was considered to be the date of the vernal equinox and therefore the creation of Adam; early Christians believed this was also the date Christ was crucified. The Christian idea that Christ was conceived on the same date that he died on the cross is consistent with a Jewish belief that a prophet lived an integral number of years. Thus, the date as a birthdate for Christ is traditional, and is not considered to be his actual date of birth."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas

An Islamic display in an Islamic country founded by Islamists for Islamists is fine. A Wiccan display in a Wiccan country founded by Wiccans for Wiccans is fine. But this is a God-believing country, founded by God-believing/fearing people FOR God-believing/fearing people.

1. Muslims believe in God.
2. This country has a constitutionally secular government. It is not "for" God-believing/fearing people to the exclusion of others.
3. If Christians get a display on public property, so do Muslims, Wiccans, etc...

Proof the US is not a "Christian nation":

The Treaty of Tripoli said:
Art. 11. As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquillity, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.

Authored by American diplomat Joel Barlow in 1796, the following treaty was sent to the floor of the Senate, June 7, 1797, where it was read aloud in its entirety and unanimously approved. John Adams, having seen the treaty, signed it and proudly proclaimed it to the Nation.

Last edited:
Enmos, please change the userpic, it freaks me out. I constantly initially confuse you for Sandy. :D And then I understand that the text is sandy-wrong.

It is. It always will be. Other religions have their own things. You don't see anyone trying to destroy Ramadan, Hanukkah, etc... So why can't everyone just leave Christmas alone? I think it's because of the old darkness vs. light/good vs. evil/God vs. satan thing...

Wrong again, it's the old secular government vs. theocracy thing.

That could be any day of the year. CHRISTmas is for celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ. You don't want to? Fine. Don't. But don't pretend it's not all about Jesus Christ.
But this period of the year isn't all about Jesus. It's about Jesus to a particular group of people. That's only about two billion people. Barely a third of the total world population.
To all people, however, this is the winter solstice, and it is that seasonal change, and the cultural connotations of family and fraternal bonds, that we should concentrate on as a civilization. We should try to be universal in our outlook, not restrictive.

An Islamic display in an Islamic country founded by Islamists for Islamists is fine. A Wiccan display in a Wiccan country founded by Wiccans for Wiccans is fine. But this is a God-believing country, founded by God-believing/fearing people FOR God-believing/fearing people.
Wrong. America was founded on the principles of the Enlightenment as a secular, democratic Republic, with no established or state religion, and total freedom thereof to the population. This country was built as an agnostic nation for a diverse swathe of people.

Enmos, please change the userpic, it freaks me out. I constantly initially confuse you for Sandy. :D And then I understand that the text is sandy-wrong.

LOL ok.. I keep confusing my own posts with Sandy's as well :eek:

Jeremiah10-2_half.JPG

That could be any day of the year. CHRISTmas is for celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ. You don't want to? Fine. Don't. But don't pretend it's not all about Jesus Christ.

Ahh but I do.....and it works just fine for me lol......

In the end, for those that hold to superstition, it isn't a matter of a "war on xmas," its a matter of their superstitions are, more and more, being scrutinized and undergoing inquiry. And, scrutiny and inquiry are the two most dreaded of human endeavors for those that hold to delusion, fantasy and superstition.

Hmmm...SkinWalker, do fancy yourself a spook?

mainly because those people don't go out of their way to force thier religion into the public domain

sandy's article said:
..."Another failing of the irreligious movement has been its tendency, frequently, to pick the wrong fights. Keeping the Ten Commandments out of an Alabama courthouse is one thing. But attacking a Christmas nativity scene on public property does more harm than good. Such secular crusades allow Christians—after all, the overwhelming majority of the country—to feel under attack, and even to declare that they are on the defensive in a “War on Christmas”.
So the mistake there is in not allowing for the mental instability and persecution complex found in Christians.

Agreed. Never underestimate the built in persecution complex of a fundie Christian. Their entire belief system is built on personal identification with a guy who was beaten by a mob and crucified by the State.

And don't be a jerk about the creche's in the park, or the carols in the school choirs - almost all the kids like to sing them.
photizo said:
mainly because those people don't go out of their way to force thier religion into the public domain ”

That's because "those people" have nothing to offer.
They think they do. You sure you want that door propped open so widely ?

They think they do. You sure you want that door propped open so widely ?

Opening--or closing for that matter--any given 'door' really makes no difference in the realm Christians live in.

Then there is Christ's comment:

I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Whether you close doors or open them makes no difference really. Neither case is an obstacle.

So why can't everyone just leave Christmas alone? I think it's because of the old darkness vs. light/good vs. evil/God vs. satan thing...

Reality vs. superstition and myth. Illusion vs. delusion. Ignorance vs. knowledge. Belief vs. thinking.

Back