The rejection of euthanasia is illogical

My first suggestion would be ....insane = anyone who frequents or posts on any Internet forum similar to "sciforurms" or the like. And as soon as we find them, we should elimininate them for the good of society! :D

Baron Max

I suggest you offer yourself to them, you're the one they want. You were here first:D That's what I will tell the guards at the gate and if that doesn't work I'll offer them sex!

Now you see this I do not understand. Your argument is that since these patients will not live indefinitely its better to keep them hanging on EVEN if they choose not to. Then you go on to speak of compassion? :shrug:

We would kill an animal that was in pain and severely disabled and call it compassion but a person in pain or experiencing the psychic pain of complete incapacity should live on because it makes society feel guilt free? I don't see any compassion in that. As a matter of fact Bauby asked to be euthanized and was refused, just because he went on to write something later doesn't mean his quality of life had improved. I think your idea is actually quite cruel. If a mother has the right to abort a fetus based on its being retarded then a living person has a right to choose euthanasia.

I've not fully made up my mind about so-called 'voluntary euthanasia', but I did point out some of its disadvantages in my earlier post.
However, the OP refers to a more rigid, involuntary approach. It is this, and in the cases where consent is difficult to obtain, that scares me. People live with pain all the time, and can go on to achieve fulfilling lives. But surely, if there is a choice at all, it should be up to individual to decide what they can cope with. Can you imagine the feeling, being unable to protest, when those that had been entrusted with your care decide it would be easier to take your life?

Facilities do not cut costs by caring for the severely disabled, actually its a big business where they get government money and the right to use up the patients life savings. There is a lot of money in keeping someone hanging on longer than the patient would even choose to. There is no palliative care for being stuck in a body that can do nothing but having an active mind, I think its barbaric and you call this compassion.

You misread my post. I argued the exact opposite in terms of costs. If a doctor has been told to let the no-hopers go because keeping them alive is a waste of money, what kind of attitude does that create? The emphasis on providing good care and keeping patients alive (what doctors in the current system aspire to do) is significantly lowered.

Cellar Door: The usefulness of a herd to a rancher is very straightforward. I'm sure you appreciate that what makes a human useful to society as a whole is infinitely more complicated and subjective.

Yes and that is exactly how the Spartans would have defended their practice of eugenics. Their society was straightforward and had a singular purpose so keeping deformed children would have defeated the goal of their society. The only reason why we do not kill off the sickly is because we no longer have to, I mean think of the small nomadic tribes what good could it have done them to keep children that would need coddling for the rest of their lives draining the resources of a society that needed all able members. Nature sides with Norse, when a lion goes out on the hunt it doesn't attack the able bodied animal of full strength, it attacks the very old or young or those that cannot keep up, nature culls the disabled the least fit by allowing them to die.

I have already addressed this point. Nature is indifferent to suffering, but humans are not. Indeed, if we were, this whole debate on mercy-killings would not happen.
As for the Spartans, how common has their ethos been in history. As Aristotle said of their culture:

"It is the standards of civilized men not of beasts that must be kept in mind, for it is good men not beasts who are capable of real courage.
Those like the Spartans ... turn men into machines and in devoting themselves to one single aspect of city's life, end up making them inferior even in that."

My response about cancer was in response to what you said:
"As for the 'contamination of the herd's genetic line', that is nonsense. Someone dying of a terminal disease like cancer is not going to pass this on to anyone else, through their offspring or otherwise."

What Monsieur Baron was most likely referring to was how this can f*ck up the gene pool of a herd if they'd let a cow with a genetic degeneration or mutation live a normal life amongst the herd; i.e. allowing her to reproduce her f*cked genes. So it's not nonsense.

I only pointed out that cancer can be passed down. "someone dying of a terminal disease like cancer" as you say could have probably already passed down that gene mutation onto his offspring. It can weaken the gene pool, and raise the cancer risk factor by a lot for future generations. So it's quite relevant.
What do you mean by develop post-childbearing age? There are also young women who suffer from breast cancer, ovarian cancer and what not, and the numbers seem to be increasing.

Cancer is not like Huntington's disease or Cystic Fibrosis - many people's parents die of cancer, without them ever suffering from it. Moreover, the majority of cancers are sporadic (no inherited cause). Those that are not, will only pass down a predisposition towards developing it. For example, four of my grandparents died of cancer, while their children remained healthy. Should they have been culled, just in case?

Moreover, cancer was only one of the illnesses being discussed. Those suffering from severe brain or spinal damage after accidents are not going to 'pollute' the stock.

My part about morality was in response to that bit in bold which you said yourself and not Baron:
"The very fact that compassion and morality are concepts exclusive to humans, shows that we are different from the animals around us. In many cultures it is not linked directly to God, as with our own, but instead refers to the inner spark - the conscience, the moral compass, the thinking mind if you will - that sets us apart from dead matter or other organisms."
Compassion is part of sentience. Feeling pity for someone else is a sensation and therefore quite clearly part of sentience. There's no proof out there that would confirm that compassion is exclusive to humans.

I was responding to Baron's:
"You fail to realise that morality and compassion are human inventions."

I don't entirely believe that they are, but I was merely turning his point back on him.
Whether other animals are sentient or not is something that is hotly disputed. All I would say is that intelligence in the animal kingdom is a spectrum, not an on or an off switch. But we are the only animals in the world who possess the technology to keep these severely ill or damaged people alive. So human compassion is all that counts in this discussion.

... But we are the only animals in the world who possess the technology to keep these severely ill or damaged people alive. ...

Just because we CAN do something doesn't mean that we should do it. And that is when logic and reasoning must come into play.

Yes, we can keep those severely ill or damaged people alive ....but to what purpose? To satisfy our own emotional selfishness? To "prove" to others that we are "compassionate"? Again, purely selfishness?

So human compassion is all that counts in this discussion.

I disagree wholeheartedly! If we took such a position on any and all discussions and/or arguments, the world of law would be so fucked up that we couldn't figure out right from wrong on anything!

Indeed ...human emotions have fucked up more things on this planet than any other one thing.

Baron Max

Just because we CAN do something doesn't mean that we should do it. And that is when logic and reasoning must come into play.

Yes, we can keep those severely ill or damaged people alive ....but to what purpose? To satisfy our own emotional selfishness? To "prove" to others that we are "compassionate"? Again, purely selfishness?

That was not the point I was making. And if you'd addressed my post as a whole, rather than picking out single lines, you'd realise that.

I disagree wholeheartedly! If we took such a position on any and all discussions and/or arguments, the world of law would be so fucked up that we couldn't figure out right from wrong on anything!

Indeed ...human emotions have fucked up more things on this planet than any other one thing.

Baron Max

Yet again you take a line out of context, and end up confusing yourself. I was in fact referring to human compassion as oppose to the supposed compassion found in more intelligent animal life forms. Are you incapable of following the thread of a discussion?

That was not the point I was making. And if you'd addressed my post as a whole, rather than picking out single lines, you'd realise that.

Yet again you take a line out of context, and end up confusing yourself. I was in fact referring to human compassion as oppose to the supposed compassion found in more intelligent animal life forms. Are you incapable of following the thread of a discussion?

I don't know why you bother. Baron has demonstrated many times that he is literally incapable of taking meaning from whole paragraphs, let alone entire posts. His level of intelligence renders him dumbstruck by anything larger than a snippet or a soundbite. That's why he's a sucker for Fox News and always takes posts completely out of context--context is invisible to him.

I've not fully made up my mind about so-called 'voluntary euthanasia', but I did point out some of its disadvantages in my earlier post.
However, the OP refers to a more rigid, involuntary approach. It is this, and in the cases where consent is difficult to obtain, that scares me. People live with pain all the time, and can go on to achieve fulfilling lives. But surely, if there is a choice at all, it should be up to individual to decide what they can cope with. Can you imagine the feeling, being unable to protest, when those that had been entrusted with your care decide it would be easier to take your life?
Choice will result in inefficiency and uncertainty. One could argue that the elimination of choice altogether would make things more predictable, and thus easier to manage.

At any rate, you are defending choice for the sake of defending choice, defending an ideal and not for the sake of any utilitarian value. What value comes from the disabled?

Arguably the physically disabled can still contribute intellectually; although, the mentally disabled contribute next to nothing. The most logical move, then, is to remove them, just like you would replace or remove a faulty part in a computer, for instance.

Logically there can even be a positive benefit from their existence: live research. Although if not that, we could harvest their organs, the functional ones.

You misread my post. I argued the exact opposite in terms of costs. If a doctor has been told to let the no-hopers go because keeping them alive is a waste of money, what kind of attitude does that create? The emphasis on providing good care and keeping patients alive (what doctors in the current system aspire to do) is significantly lowered.
Sustaining the sick isn't the goal of doctors; it's to bring them to good health. If this cannot be done, what good comes out of sustaining the sick?

Moreover, cancer was only one of the illnesses being discussed. Those suffering from severe brain or spinal damage after accidents are not going to 'pollute' the stock.
Even if such illnesses aren't inheritable, the individual with the illness is still useless (if they are indeed useless)

I don't entirely believe that they are, but I was merely turning his point back on him.
They entirely are.

If you remove human beings from the face of the Earth, does morality still exist?

Whether other animals are sentient or not is something that is hotly disputed. All I would say is that intelligence in the animal kingdom is a spectrum, not an on or an off switch. But we are the only animals in the world who possess the technology to keep these severely ill or damaged people alive. So human compassion is all that counts in this discussion.
Human compassion can lead to illogical decisions.

Can you imagine the feeling, being unable to protest, when those that had been entrusted with your care decide it would be easier to take your life?

I have already addressed this point. Nature is indifferent to suffering, but humans are not. Indeed, if we were, this whole debate on mercy-killings would not happen.
As for the Spartans, how common has their ethos been in history. As Aristotle said of their culture:

"It is the standards of civilized men not of beasts that must be kept in mind, for it is good men not beasts who are capable of real courage.
Those like the Spartans ... turn men into machines and in devoting themselves to one single aspect of city's life, end up making them inferior even in that."

First the question is more likely to be the opposite, meaning imagine how someone would feel if they protesting to have an end to suffering only to be ignored. The fact that people live with pain all their life, you make it sound like the act of martyrs and saints, you say they are go on to live 'fulfilling lives'. Actually they live pain filled lives for many it is a constant misery. I am not sure if your interest is in the person suffering and what they would want or if your more concerned with letting society off the hook. Either way is extreme to me, I don't think society has a right to tell me or anyone else that they don't have a right to end their suffering and die with dignity as opposed to living as a vegetable or worse yet being completely aware but having zero mobility, not allowing an end to someone's suffering because society does not want the responsibility is just as fascist a notion as society deciding I cannot live, its just justified under the guise of 'compassion'. The Dutch have no problem allowing for assisted suicide and euthanasia and it is quite humane indeed. Norse is asking this question:

"Logically, again, show me what the genetically unfit and sick contribute to the survival of the species. For many, it's quite literally nothing. Thus why sustain them?"

Logically there is no reason to sustain them outside of judeo-christian notions of what is good and what is evil. Someone can live in a society like Norse advocates and still feel compassion as a human being, someone can live in a society like the one you admire and as we see feel no compassion at all nor have any love of what life is at all. To say that it is humane to leave a human being like a carcass incontinent, forever incapacitated and in constant need of 24hr is an odd notion in my book. Please if you would like that for yourself then fine but I would hope that someone would spare me the indignity. I mean really is that what it means to live in your book? Is that all life means to you? To breath and shit and nothing else? Urgh!

You misunderstood my point about care and cost. Facilities do not want the cost lowered, its not in their interest to cut costs, they benefit from keeping people in those states as they are paid as long as people are in those states. Norse's suggestion would be their worse nightmare. The doctors keep patients alive yes but what of QUALITY of life? Can they provide that? No. This notion that any life is worth more than quality of life is absurd to say the least.

There were lot's of things said of Sparta. The Athenians were rivals with Sparta but they were in fact admired by many many Greeks and so I would take the quote with a grain of salt after all they were not inferior in what they devoted themselves to were they? No they were the best, unequalled. Even today we use their military model in elite forces. And I'll tell you one thing I would have rather been a Spartan woman than an Athenian, they held property, were educated and claimed a freedom no other Greek female could ever have enjoyed. You judge their society through the eyes of a modern when in actuality you should have a sense of the time they lived in when all these morals you exalt had no bearing, for example slaves played a major part in Greek civilization not just Sparta and this form of eugenics was also practiced in other parts of Greece including Athens it just was not mandated by law. Sparta declined because of declining population and the slackening of their rigorous discipline not because of it. Read Paul Cartledge an authority in world classics and specializing in Sparta he offers a very balanced account of their society.

But anyway one aspect of this you forget is someone can be incapacitated while still very young and look at a lifetime of complete suffering, mental suffering not physical. A spinal cord victim doesn't feel anything at all but they can live in such mental anguish and this society we live in would have it continue for a lifetime no matter what they wanted for themselves. Its horrible and unconscionable.

Last edited:
Bargain Basement Philosopher said:
Human compassion can lead to illogical decisions.

But we are human. We're not striving for this robotic nirvana that you seem to be fixated on. That's not the next step, no matter how hard your little brain believes it.

But we are human. We're not striving for this robotic nirvana that you seem to be fixated on. That's not the next step, no matter how hard your little brain believes it.

Precisely! The entire point of this thread was to get people to understand that we are very human with very human emotions; and that our cultures and traditions are based on these very human emotions. We are, by our very nature, unpredictable and illogical beings that will do and propose illogical things; and that's OK. Nobody is "more right" than any other, we're human.

Also the next step will not be organic.

You should check out www.transhumanism.org

Sounds like almost everything else humans do, don't it? In fact, can you name anything, any thoughts or actions by humans, that is NOT wide-open to corruption and exploitation?

Again, it's not much different to anything and everything else that human societies do.

But why force others to pay for someone else's children? Surely you can't think that that's right, do you? They didn't have any choices in having the children, why should they have to pay to raise it?

Interesting, ...but would you advocate the same for farmers and ranchers in handling their herds of livestock? ...that they should keep the sick ones, pay for the feed and shelter, even let them breed if they can?

You fail to realize that morality and compassion are human inventions ...and I'd say they were invented just for such arguments as this one!! If you look around the world, you'll see that true human compassion is nothing but a term used, that means very little. Tens of thousands of kids starve to death every single day in Africa ...and humans try to claim that they're compassionate???????? Surely they jest, right???

Almost everyone here believes in evolution, that humans are just animals that evolved from other animals, that there's no such thing as God or the soul. Yet those same people will argue intensely to keep sick animals among the herd, and chance contaminating the entire herd's genetic line. Hmm?

Baron Max

you cannot allways tell before a child is born what sort of disability they will have (if any)

and many many disabled people have children of they're own and can look after them, there are more serious disabilties out there than mental disabilites, should we kill every one who is disabled whatever the condition? mental or physical?

you cannot allways tell before a child is born what sort of disability they will have (if any)

and many many disabled people have children of they're own and can look after them, there are more serious disabilties out there than mental disabilites, should we kill every one who is disabled whatever the condition? mental or physical?

If logic is to be used. Although, as I said, we are also emotional beings.

If logic is to be used. Although, as I said, we are also emotional beings.

yes we are, and most of us, would not like to kill our children, like i said you cannot allways tell that a child will be disabled, and tests to show disabilities have been known to be wrong

Precisely! The entire point of this thread was to get people to understand that we are very human with very human emotions; and that our cultures and traditions are based on these very human emotions. We are, by our very nature, unpredictable and illogical beings that will do and propose illogical things; and that's OK. Nobody is "more right" than any other, we're human.

That's not true, though. We're very predictable. That's why serial killers tend to fit certain personality types. It's why we all knew the same kinds of people in high school. We all knew the arrogant jock, the ignorant bully, the slut, the goth chick, the preppy chick. It's why comedy works and why we can relate to people we've never met before.

It has become very clear in my time talking with you that you know little to nothing about the fields you discuss. Have you considered studying up on the subjects before you go philosophizing on them?

Also, you had to make one hell of a leap to get from "We're illogical beasts" to "nobody is more right than the other." That's a total non-sequitor.

Also the next step will not be organic.

You should check out www.worldtranshumanistorganization.org

Instead of reading up on as-of-yet science fiction, maybe you should study some science fact? It would help your case, and perhaps even change your mind.

yes we are, and most of us, would not like to kill our children, like i said you cannot allways tell that a child will be disabled, and tests to show disabilities have been known to be wrong

Thus we wait until after the child is born.

Although, keep this in mind: is this what you would do with your livestock?

You're now comparing children to livestock?

You obviously have no kids. You've never known the instictual urge to protect your offspring.

ok what if certain disbilties dont show until the child is for example 13? should we then kill that child? or should we just do it, just in case?

But you do know lucifer that many women do know and abort based on this information. There are many women who would opt not to raise a disabled child.

Back