The Muslim Black Box: Kaaba

The moon symbol is because Muslims follow the lunar month. Our months are dated by the moon. That is why we need to see the moon to know when Ramadan is over.

Historically it was the symbol adopted by the Ottomans (for their flag, I think) and since they dominated for over 600 years the symbol became associated with Islam, probably following the Crusades.

Last edited:
The moon symbol is because Muslims follow the lunar month. Our months are dated by the moon. That is why we need to see the moon to know when Ramadan is over.

Historically it was the symbol adopted by the Ottomans (for their flag, I think) and since they dominated for over 600 years the symbol became associated with Islam, probably following the Crusades.
Do you have a reference?

This is an odd assertion given that many people used a moon based calendars. The Romans, the Chinese, etc... Why elevate the moon to the most high position if it was simply recognized as a part of a lunar calender? Not to mention the fact that the people of the ME have worshiped moon gods since 2100 BCE. Wasn't "Allah" of the Kabaal a moon God before being associated with the Jewish God.

:bugeye:

From the ancient times of the Sumerians, Babylonian and Assyrian, moon Gods have played center stage in most of Semitic religions. A practice that was prevalent of the contemporaries of Mohammad. Obviously so. Not simply the Arabs but all over the ME. It seem very odd that Mohammadians would elevate the moon to the utmost position on a place of worship simply to remind themselves of the lunar calender. Given that those same people had been worshiping moon Gods for nearly 3000 years.

But, then again, I once said to a wall that the Jesus fish was really a geometric symbol well knows as the measure of fish and that the 153 fish in the Bible was really a powerful ratio known to the Greeks and in use for centuries. the Wall said: Nu-ah. And that's usually the way it goes.

Michael

note:

"The Sumerians, in the first literate civilization, left thousands of clay tablets describing their religious beliefs. As demonstrated by Sjöberg and Hall, the ancient Sumerians worshipped a moon-god who was called by many different names. The most popular names were Nanna, Suen, and Asimbabbar" (Mark Hall, A Study of the Sumerian Moon-god, Sin, PhD., 1985, University of Pennsylvania).

"His symbol was the crescent moon. Given the amount of artifacts concerning the worship of this moon-god, it is clear that this was the dominant religion in Sumeria. The cult of the moon-god was the most popular religion throughout ancient Mesopotamia. The Assyrians, Babylonians, and Arkkadians took the word Suen and transformed it into the word Sîn as their favourite name for this deity." (Austin Potts, The Hymns and Prayers to the Moon-god, Sin, PhD., 1971, Dropsie College, p.2).

"Sîn is a name essentially Sumerian in origin which had been borrowed by the Semites" (Austin Potts, The Hymns and Prayers to the Moon-god, Sin, PhD., 1971, Dropsie College, p 4)

A reminder of the Lunar calendar for Ramadan??? ... come on Sam... :p anyway, that reference?

Just to add to the "moon" was something I read on wiki

The crescent was the symbol of the Sassanian Empire of Persia (Iran) and is prominently displayed on the crowns of its rulers. After the Arab conquest of that empire in 651 CE, it was gradually adopted by later caliphates and Muslim rulers as an established and recognized symbol of power in Western Asia.

So the real question is why was the moon a symbol of the Sassanian Empire?

The Nazis used the swastika, do you think they were secretly Hindus? :D

So what you are saying is that you don't care what the kaaba is or stands for as long as it represents the muslim world!

A symbol is what it stands for in the minds of people. The moon may have had some special significance for other people as did the Kaaba.

However, it does not alter the fact that if you see the moon on a flag TODAY, you know its probably a Muslim flag. And if anyone sees the Kaaba and does NOT think of Muslims, I would be very surprised.

PS Nice to have you back.

Do you have a reference?

This is an odd assertion given that many people used a moon based calendars. The Romans, the Chinese, etc... Why elevate the moon to the most high position if it was simply recognized as a part of a lunar calender? Not to mention the fact that the people of the ME have worshiped moon gods since 2100 BCE. Wasn't "Allah" of the Kabaal a moon God before being associated with the Jewish God.

:bugeye:

A reminder of the Lunar calendar for Ramadan??? ... come on Sam... :p anyway, that reference?

Thats the association I had.

Its not universally a religious symbol, or even accepted as a symbol of Islam by all Muslims

http://www.irfi.org/articles/articles_451_500/crescent_moon.htm

A symbol is what it stands for in the minds of people. The moon may have had some special significance for other people as did the Kaaba.

However, it does not alter the fact that if you see the moon on a flag TODAY, you know its probably a Muslim flag. And if anyone sees the Kaaba and does NOT think of Muslims, I would be very surprised.

PS Nice to have you back.
Well I do have a life you know!!...I'm not 24/7 on this forum like the others
I will be here a short while then will return back to the abyss where I came from...Thought I create a bit of choas while I'm still here:D

Well I do have a life you know!!...I'm not 24/7 on this forum like the others
I will be here a short while then will return back to the abyss where I came from...Thought I create a bit of choas while I'm still here:D

As long as we see you from time to time.:p

As Muhammed "set the record straight" about what the Old Testament "really" says, and as Arabs were supposedly "people of the Book" for centuries before Muhammed came along, then why did they worship 360 gods, one of which was Allah, through those centuries leading up to Muhammed's life?

As Muhammed "set the record straight" about what the Old Testament "really" says, and as Arabs were supposedly "people of the Book" for centuries before Muhammed came along, then why did they worship 360 gods, one of which was Allah, through those centuries leading up to Muhammed's life?

your hand is already tipped in that you speak against islam on every occassion you get.
your input is flawed from conception.

[propaganda] all religions started as Islam[/propaganda]
Muslims don't bother to question their doctrinal origins unlike other faiths!
It's considered "haram" to even doubt or to investigate their own religous texts!
Therefore they can't explain alot of their own stuff!!!

Muslims don't bother to question their doctrinal origins unlike other faiths!
It's considered "haram" to even doubt or to investigate their own religous texts!
Therefore they can't explain alot of their own stuff!!!

Well there's lots of non Muslims willing and able to educate us, so its not like we're losing out.:cool:

Back