The christian Bible...

Sooo, But Q states he has an understanding of my religion from the bible. He must have read it, right?:bugeye:

Yea, but that doesn't mean he believes it really happened that way. He is making the same point as I did earlier in fact.

I read Moby Dick, but I don't believe it happened, but given a bit of text and it's context I can generally come to some thoughts about what the writer was trying to get across... How is this different? :shrug:

It's not different. But getting what the writer was meant to get across is something completely different from Christianity for example. There is a God attached and all sorts of other stuff that is believed to be unshakable truth, all from the bible of course.
Q's point is that you can't pick and choose what to hold to be unshakable and what is only meant to get a point across.

I bet you've never even the read the Bible. For sure, I know you haven't read the Qur'an. The closest you have probably come to doing either is flipping through the Bible's pages, reading a few verses here and there. Your knowledge on Christianity (actually, religion in general) is abysmal, especially in terms of scriptural understanding. The best you have done is copy and paste others' interpretations of the Bible, which is very unsettling - for me it is, anyway.

Kadark

How many Christians today have read the complete bible ? I wonder..

Enmos- Your point was made succinctly. You have to believe some of the bible to be a christian, how do you discern what to believe? There are several schools of thought. Fundamentalists tend to say the whole thing is literal. Takes a bit of suspension of disbelief to do that, for me. Moderates-Like myself, believe in the basics JC's sacrifice. Maybe some historical old and new testament. I myself contend with many of paul's writings. Then there are liberal christians. They make me seem closed-minded. The bible is a wonderful story, but here is the TRUTH. They weird me out sometimes.

From my stand point. The Holy Spirit(God) is within us, guiding us along, when we choose to listen. For me? It's a voice from inside of the back of my head, whereas the other voices are from the middle/lower part. I'm crazy, though. In some societies I'd be a prophet. LOL

I hope that helps. :D

I read Moby Dick, but I don't believe it happened, but given a bit of text and it's context I can generally come to some thoughts about what the writer was trying to get across... How is this different?

Are you serious? Where in Moby Dick does a god demand worship and obedience? Idiot. :rolleyes:

Enmos- Your point was made succinctly. You have to believe some of the bible to be a christian, how do you discern what to believe? There are several schools of thought. Fundamentalists tend to say the whole thing is literal. Takes a bit of suspension of disbelief to do that, for me. Moderates-Like myself, believe in the basics JC's sacrifice. Maybe some historical old and new testament. I myself contend with many of paul's writings. Then there are liberal christians. They make me seem closed-minded. The bible is a wonderful story, but here is the TRUTH. They weird me out sometimes.

From my stand point. The Holy Spirit(God) is within us, guiding us along, when we choose to listen. For me? It's a voice from inside of the back of my head, whereas the other voices are from the middle/lower part. I'm crazy, though. In some societies I'd be a prophet. LOL

I hope that helps. :D

But who decides what the basics are ?
Do you believe that Adam and Eve were the first two humans on Earth ?
Do you believe in the Garden of Eden ?
Do you believe that Noah's Ark really existed ?
Do you believe the story around it ?
Do you believe Jesus stood up from the dead and left on a cloud ?
Etc etc.
These, to me, seem to be basic elements of the Christian belief.

Enmos- Your point was made succinctly. You have to believe some of the bible to be a christian, how do you discern what to believe? There are several schools of thought. Fundamentalists tend to say the whole thing is literal.

Clearly, they are correct.

Moderates-Like myself, believe in the basics JC's sacrifice. Maybe some historical old and new testament. I myself contend with many of paul's writings. Then there are liberal christians.

Selective beliefs. You might as well imagine it.

From my stand point. The Holy Spirit(God) is within us, guiding us along, when we choose to listen. For me? It's a voice from inside of the back of my head

That's called mental illness, which you've expressed many times. Take your meds.

Not sure. Does that have anything to do with (Q)'s piss-poor understanding of the Bible, Christianity, or religion in general? I wonder ...
That hasn't been established at all.
Q is just challenging theists. He says that you cannot just pick and choose what stories believe in the bible while saying about other stories that they are obviously only meant to get across a particular point.
I agree with Q on that.
Explain to me how you decide what to believe literally and what not to take literally.

That hasn't been established at all.
Q is just challenging theists. He says that you cannot just pick and choose what stories believe in the bible while saying about other stories that they are obviously only meant to get across a particular point.
I agree with Q on that.
Explain to me how you decide what to believe literally and what not to take literally.

It's truly amazing how quickly theists go scurrying off to hide their heads in the sand when faced with this issue.

Not only are we forced to have to deal with their biblical scriptural nonsense, but we are forced to deal with whatever they imagine they want to believe.

And, then they demand respect for their religious beliefs! :mad:

Q's point is that you can't pick and choose what to hold to be unshakable and what is only meant to get a point across.

You mean you can choose what to be unshakable?

Well, if God exists, then I believe the Bible is partially truths and lies. And in that sense I suppose you are right....if he were here to show us what is truth and what is a lie.

But, if any part of the Bible is suspect, it makes other parts suspect.

What I mean is if you hold to the Bible or any other "holy" book as the truth, you can't choose what is true or not because there is no living authority that can back up the claims of truth. Since there is no authority, it can only be established as whole truth or whole myth.

You can't say, "Only this part is a fishy..." without either proof, or an author here to establish that that part is fishy.

Also, what Q so eloquently said, the rules are different from other books because "holy" scriptures are accepted as non-fiction within their respective religions/traditions/doctrines/beliefs.

Back