The Broad Brush? Women and Men; Prejudice and Necessity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yikes.

This is a really bruising discussion/argument to read.

The tenor of the discussion is deliberately and hurtfully personal from almost all participants.

I think you should all consider backing off before you do even more permanent damage. It may already be too late.

In my opinion, this is not the kind of tone we should be encouraging here.

Bringing up the extreme case is not the same as continued quotation of Thornhill and Palmers study. Are you going to blame this on your English too?
Which case do you think is extreme?

Yes, I could be more insulting to Kittamaru. This is what you want?
Should we blame this on your comprehension skills?

So cite the multivariate statistics behind it. But again, 133 is not a huge sample size and in this case it's all offenders. No out-group.
I cited the studies. You can make of it what you will. You have yet to cite a single study of actual rapists, to support your contention in this thread.

Sorry, but as an expert, a different size and sampling system is needed to completely exclude the possibility of atavistic impulse. Moreover, I haven't seen the relative significance of means relating to the alternate hypothesis. I can't rely on you for this, seemingly.
Well actual experts who have conducted numerous studies around the world all found similar findings. I have provided such studies from the US and Australia, which also mention similar studies elsewhere. You provided zip in that regard.

I very much doubt any of them have proposed my point as such.
And what is your point again?

Let's face it, you have been supporting the side that actively places the blame on women.

Well, this is presently unknown. If I took the abstracts you're reporting as absolutely representative, and if I were being a little short-sighted about power, I'd say there is no support. But based on the above, the proper way to describe is not effectively tested. If you have more studies, I would say "present them" but the discussion is clearly done.
Well, then again, the experts who conducted those studies would know best. Keep in mind, these studies have been done repeatedly for decades. And the studies are on convicted rapists and men who identify as rapists. I mean sure, we can claim that they must be wrong about what they are saying because some sociobiologist has determined that it has to be about sex without any proof whatsoever....

Well, yes, when you try to characterise me as an apologist for rape, that's about what you earn.
And what do you think you earned when upon learning that I had been raped, you went on to dismiss it as being just about sex, biological and then commented that even moose try to fuck a tree to get off?

Think about it for a while.

So don't demonise others in a discussion. Simple.
No, I told it like it was. And that's the problem for you, isn't it?
The fucking WHAT NOW? Who the hell is arguing that? Ah, I get it: unsubstantiated and misread generalisation. Yeah, I've seen that before. Nice one. Out.
Oh I'm sorry, did you miss when Captain Kremmen likened rape prevention to objectifying women when he compared it to how one would protect a laptop by not leaving it in plain sight and how it would be locked up in a boot of a car, Trooper's rape prevention theory about women drinking and taking their clothes off and getting into bed with men and how if they didn't do that, then they wouldn't be raped, and Billvon's rape prevention theory that basically amounted to women had to be more responsible and not marry men who may end up raping them?

I get it, it's no longer what is being argued but who is saying it, which is clearly why you have blithely ignored the rape prevention advocacy in this thread. Or do you agree that if a woman does not want to be raped by her spouse, then she should simply be more responsible and not marry a man who could rape her at some point in the future (because women apparently know these things so far in advance)? Do you agree with Kremmen's assertion that just as thieves want and desire a laptop and would take one if they saw it in a car, they would steal the woman's body if the opportunity arises, so to use his analogy, she should simply not entice thieves with her body, which one could take a variety of ways, from covering up to simply not going out at all... What about Trooper's assertion that a woman should not be drinking or getting drunk, should not be taking her clothes off in front of a guy or get into bed with a guy if she doesn't want to be raped? Do you agree with the rape prevention theories proposed and advocated by these members, GeoffP?

Oh, and someone explain statistics to Tiassa.
OOooohhh yeah, how about you just get a clue first?

Billvon said:
That is an aspect of debate called "parallel construction." It is often used in analogies to make them clearer, and in this case was done to head off your expected "men can't be raped, idiot" or similar departure from the topic.

But to make you happy I will rephrase:
============
A person should use common sense and not leave their guns lying around where anyone can access them. Fortunately most people make such sensible decisions. This, of course, does not excuse criminals who would use those guns to kill them.

A person should use common sense and not wander around the highway when drunk. Fortunately most people make the sensible decision not to do that. This, of course, does not excuse someone who sees them and decides to ram them.

A person should use common sense and not carry their money hanging out of their back pocket. Fortunately most people make the sensible decision to not do that. This, of course, does not excuse someone who steals their money from them.

A person should use common sense and not leave their keys in the ignition in public parking lots. Fortunately most people make the sensible decision to not do that. This, of course, does not excuse someone who steals their car.
==============
She can't. It is still a good idea to attempt to prevent it. See examples above.
Well the best way to prevent it is to assume that every male is a potential rapist. If your argument is to be taken seriously.

Nope. But I believe that women who prepare themselves and make good decisions are less likely to be the victims of crime, including rape. (And to forestall your next departure, it is also true that any people who prepare themselves are less likely to be the victims of crime.) Do you disagree?
And how do you propose that women prepare themselves to prevent being raped?

Good decisions? Okay? And what would that entail? Not trusting men who could potentially rape her one day? Okay.. So how does she tell who is her potential rapist?

Let's look at your as a prime example. Let's say that one day I meet you. My first instinct and as a responsible woman, I will assume that you are a rapist and treat you as such. I will be wary of you, distant, cold and refuse to be alone with you, never leave you near my drink or give you access to my drink or food, never tell you what car I am driving or where I am staying, never give you my real name. Because you know, I want to reduce my chances of being raped. I will assume that you have explained the risk that you, as a man, pose to your spouse and the women you know and are related to? Because obviously, all women must follow the same rule with just about anyone they meet or know or are related to, to be always prepared, to be always on the alert and certainly to make good decisions in regards to trusting any male or female because anyone could be a potential rapist.

Would you agree that this would be an excellent way to prepare themselves from being a victim of sexual assault? I mean I think it's an excellent idea. I'll just treat you as a potential rapist from here on in and I will do my best to warn every member on this site of the dangers you may pose as a stranger and to make sure they do not divulge any information about themselves to you or in your near vicinity to protect themselves of any crime you may or may not commit against them. This will ensure that especially the female members are always in a state of readiness for any potential threat you may pose.

Do you disagree?

Note I am not saying they can absolutely PREVENT crime. I am saying they can reduce its likelihood.
Of course.

And to reduce the likelihood that you are a potential rapist, we'll be sure to warn everyone. After all, while we can't prevent you from raping anyone, we can certainly warn others of the dangers so that they always remain hyper-alert with running shoes on, can of mace in their hand and a brick in their handbag, just in case.

I'm sure you'll agree?

Nope. Just common sense. No rapedar or other magical means, just boring everyday common sense.
Oh I absolutely agree.

Reading through your posts makes me want to become a gun owner for my own protection.

Because who knows what other psycho is going to break into my house and rape me while I sleep.

The fucking WHAT NOW? Who the hell is arguing that? Ah, I get it: unsubstantiated and misread generalisation. Yeah, I've seen that before. Nice one. Out.

Oh, and someone explain statistics to Tiassa.

So... then what is the argument? If women aren't to blame for getting raped, and men ARE in fact capable of reigning in their supposed biological urges... then the fact that women, children, the elderly, and even INFANTS get raped is... well, left to be... well, a Crime of Power.

So... why is this argument even going on then?

As to "who the hell is arguing it"...

If you leave your laptop in plain view on the back seat of your car, some thief is likely to rob it.
The thief is not justified in robbing it, but it might be wiser to put it in the boot.
I'm sure you will agree.

A laptop is an object which a criminal desires so strongly that he would break into your car and steal it.
Best to keep them in the boot.
A second criminal could see vulnerable womens' bodies as objects to be taken if the opportunity arises.
There is a similarity in the attitude of the criminals, I'm sure you'd accept.

I wouldn't take the comparison so far as saying that women should be powered down and stored in the boot.
I accept that argument, which you formulated so well.

QUOTE PARSED FOR BREVITY
A person should use common sense and not leave their guns lying around where anyone can access them. Fortunately most people make such sensible decisions. This, of course, does not excuse criminals who would use those guns to kill them.

A person should use common sense and not wander around the highway when drunk. Fortunately most people make the sensible decision not to do that. This, of course, does not excuse someone who sees them and decides to ram them.

A person should use common sense and not carry their money hanging out of their back pocket. Fortunately most people make the sensible decision to not do that. This, of course, does not excuse someone who steals their money from them.

A person should use common sense and not leave their keys in the ignition in public parking lots. Fortunately most people make the sensible decision to not do that. This, of course, does not excuse someone who steals their car.

QUOTE PARSED FOR BREVITY

“Common sense never gets in the way of a sacred custom that accompanied a decline of violence, and today rape centers unanimously insist that “rape or sexual assault is not an act of sex or lust—it’s about aggression, power, and humiliation, using sex as the weapon. The rapist’s goal is domination.” (To which the journalist Heather MacDonald replies: “The guys who push themselves on women at keggers are after one thing only, and it’s not a reinstatement of the patriarchy.”) Because of the sacred belief, rape foist advice on students that no responsible parent would ever give a daughter. When MacDonald asked the associate director of an Office of Sexual Assault Prevention at a major university whether they encouraged students to exercise good judgment with guidelines like “ Don’t get drunk, don’t get into bed with a guy, and don’t take off your clothes or allow them to be removed,” she replied, I am uncomfortable with the idea. This indicates the if female students are raped it could be their fault—it is never their fault—and how one dresses does not invite rape or violence…I would never allow my staff or myself to send the message it is the victim’s fault due to their dress or lack of restraint in any way.

Well the best way to prevent it is to assume that every male is a potential rapist.
Uh - OK. Do that if you like.

And how do you propose that women prepare themselves to prevent being raped?
Use good judgment in what parties to attend. What to wear. Who to date. What to drink and how much. What to tell people they talk to. How to let people know when they are worried about someone's attention. How to escape risky situations. How to defend themselves.

Or don't take my word for it. Here are some suggestions from the Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network:

Good decisions? Okay? And what would that entail? Not trusting men who could potentially rape her one day? Okay.. So how does she tell who is her potential rapist?
Trained psychologists can see the signs, as you previously stated. Advice from such a person would be an excellent way. Getting a very small subset of their training would help identify such people.

Here is a good list excerpted from the RadicalRedHead website, from a woman who has been raped and now advocates rape prevention:

=====
1) He invades your space: A potential rapist often invades your space-visually, verbally and physically. The night Brian Hoffman raped me, I noticed he constantly stared at me the entire night. He was visually invading my space.

2) He seems distracted: He may ignore your wishes by acting distracted. Trust me, his hearing is just fine. For example, You tell him youre ready to call it a night but he orders you another drink instead, and then says, "Oh, I thought you said you wanted another." Dont be fooled by this.

3) He wants you alone: He can be subtle about isolating you. If youre getting bad vibes, stick with your group, and make sure you have your own ride home.

4) He wants you wasted: Alcohol and drugs are a factor in around 90% of assaults. Of course this doesn't mean that you are at fault. However, they make you vulnerable and provide an excuse for his behavior.
===============
Let's look at your as a prime example. Let's say that one day I meet you. My first instinct and as a responsible woman, I will assume that you are a rapist and treat you as such. I will be wary of you, distant, cold and refuse to be alone with you, never leave you near my drink or give you access to my drink or food, never tell you what car I am driving or where I am staying, never give you my real name. Because you know, I want to reduce my chances of being raped.
OK. That would likely work to reduce the odds of your being raped, per the advice of a woman who actually was raped.

Would you agree that this would be an excellent way to prepare themselves from being a victim of sexual assault? I mean I think it's an excellent idea. I'll just treat you as a potential rapist from here on in and I will do my best to warn every member on this site of the dangers you may pose as a stranger and to make sure they do not divulge any information about themselves to you or in your near vicinity to protect themselves of any crime you may or may not commit against them. This will ensure that especially the female members are always in a state of readiness for any potential threat you may pose.
And I will remind them that you advocate that women submit to rapists, and to weigh your advice accordingly. That's just as accurate.

And to reduce the likelihood that you are a potential rapist, we'll be sure to warn everyone. After all, while we can't prevent you from raping anyone, we can certainly warn others of the dangers so that they always remain hyper-alert with running shoes on, can of mace in their hand and a brick in their handbag, just in case. I'm sure you'll agree?
No, but it's a great strawman.

The problem with "using good judgement" is that it requires you to be absolutely paranoid in todays world... anyone and everyone COULD be a rapist, at least that is what some would have you believe. I consider myself a pretty decent judge of character... but you know what? I wouldn't trust myself to pick out the rapist in a group of 10 guys without some SIGNIFICANT backstory/history on them... and you just dont' get that in public.

The problem with "using good judgement" is that it requires you to be absolutely paranoid in todays world...
Why is this? Many drivers use good judgment without being absolutely paranoid. People who work in cities, ride mass transit, drive on deserted highways . . . you don't need paranoia to have good judgment.

Do you wear a seatbelt when you drive?

anyone and everyone COULD be a rapist, at least that is what some would have you believe.
I suppose, but again, any other driver out there COULD be a drunken angry idiot who wants to kill you. It's even harder to tell what someone's like when they are driving inside a car 300 yards away from you. That doesn't mean that you have to be "absolutely paranoid" but it is one good reason to wear a seatbelt.

¿Interpretations?

Kittamaru said:

Uh huh... I can only assume that is supposed to be yet another insult flung in Bells direction, spit at her for hates sake?

Actually, in truth, that wasn't my first thought.

Remember that this long path of misogyny and misinterpretation began with her pitching an irrelevant fit in that riot about Sciforums' atheists. And she has people like Yazata to lie on her behalf (or did you ever get an answer?) so that she can feel better; frankly, Geoff has been begging for attention like this the whole time.

To the one, as I've said before, let people keep talking and they eventually tell you the truth.

And, also, as I've noted, psychological dysfunction really is the only ethical justification for allowing this sort of repugnant behavior to continue.

As such, I just figured Trooper was trying to justify herself.

And that's fine with me; I'll accept the justification, and we can simply remind people who go too hard on her that they're not allowed to abuse the incompetent.

I mean, she's already acknowledged that this isn't actually about principles for her, but aesthetics and pride. That admission alone is actionable, regardless of whether we're going to cut her a break for the appearance of vested interest, one of the many things moderators do that allow some members who portray themselves as low characters might hang around and complain about the horrible moderators being so mean to them.

But, frankly, a mental competence defense more easily justifies the specific protection they've been shown, so I'm happy to accept that excuse.

Why is this? Many drivers use good judgment without being absolutely paranoid. People who work in cities, ride mass transit, drive on deserted highways . . . you don't need paranoia to have good judgment.

Do you wear a seatbelt when you drive?

The only possible comparison I could make to this would be for a woman to wear a Rape-X Condom anytime she goes out in public... that or to mace every guy that so much as glances in her direction.

I suppose, but again, any other driver out there COULD be a drunken angry idiot who wants to kill you. It's even harder to tell what someone's like when they are driving inside a car 300 yards away from you. That doesn't mean that you have to be "absolutely paranoid" but it is one good reason to wear a seatbelt.

Not really. If someone is swerving around, unable to maintain a constant speed, or otherwise driving erratically, you have a pretty good clue that something isn't right. Yeah, not everyone is going to drive like that while shit-faced drunk, but the majority will.

By comparison, you can't honestly tell me you would know who the rapist was if ten guys were randomly lined up in front of you, one of them having raped someone in the past. There MIGHT be subtle clues, but nothing overly unusual... it's not like they stagger around drunkenly. At best, you might catch them looking at you inappropriately... but to be fair, if a girl dresses in something that's revealing, a LOT of guys are going to look. It doesn't mean they intend to rape.

Actually, in truth, that wasn't my first thought.

Remember that this long path of misogyny and misinterpretation began with her pitching an irrelevant fit in that riot about Sciforums' atheists. And she has people like Yazata to lie on her behalf (or did you ever get an answer?) so that she can feel better; frankly, Geoff has been begging for attention like this the whole time.

To the one, as I've said before, let people keep talking and they eventually tell you the truth.

And, also, as I've noted, psychological dysfunction really is the only ethical justification for allowing this sort of repugnant behavior to continue.

As such, I just figured Trooper was trying to justify herself.

And that's fine with me; I'll accept the justification, and we can simply remind people who go too hard on her that they're not allowed to abuse the incompetent.

I mean, she's already acknowledged that this isn't actually about principles for her, but aesthetics and pride. That admission alone is actionable, regardless of whether we're going to cut her a break for the appearance of vested interest, one of the many things moderators do that allow some members who portray themselves as low characters might hang around and complain about the horrible moderators being so mean to them.

But, frankly, a mental competence defense more easily justifies the specific protection they've been shown, so I'm happy to accept that excuse.

Nope, never did get a reply on that question.

And to your second part, you are a MUCH nicer person than I am... when I smell bullshit, I call it out; when people start trying to use that bullshit to further their own agendas, especially against someone else, it really pisses me off.

I'm not a rape apologist or a misogynist. As usual, Tiassa and Bells are being abusive and dishonest.

I'm disappointed in you, Kittamaru. I really am.

The only possible comparison I could make to this would be for a woman to wear a Rape-X Condom anytime she goes out in public... that or to mace every guy that so much as glances in her direction.
There's this odd idea shared by some here that either you do absolutely nothing to protect yourself from rape or you mace every guy who looks at you; those are your only two choices.

Do you think there might be a middle ground?

Not really. If someone is swerving around, unable to maintain a constant speed, or otherwise driving erratically, you have a pretty good clue that something isn't right. Yeah, not everyone is going to drive like that while shit-faced drunk, but the majority will.

Plenty of people can drive in a straight line while drunk; that's why they get away with it. Does it therefore mean your two choices are:
1) to not wear a seabelt, not be aware of your surroundings and ignore what other drivers do
2) never drive?

I don't think so. I think a more reasonable solution might be to look for the signs you list above - EVEN IF they do not mean you will always be aware of the risk. You might want to wear your seatbelt - EVEN IF that is not a 100% effective protection against being rammed by a drunk driver.

By comparison, you can't honestly tell me you would know who the rapist was if ten guys were randomly lined up in front of you, one of them having raped someone in the past. There MIGHT be subtle clues, but nothing overly unusual... it's not like they stagger around drunkenly. At best, you might catch them looking at you inappropriately... but to be fair, if a girl dresses in something that's revealing, a LOT of guys are going to look. It doesn't mean they intend to rape.

Agreed. But the following signs are good ones to heed: (from the above website)

1) He invades your space
2) He seems distracted: He may ignore your wishes by acting distracted.
3) He wants you alone: He can be subtle about isolating you.
4) He wants you wasted: Alcohol and drugs are a factor in around 90% of assaults.

See, it's that attitude that makes me doubt you initially, while the stuff in this thread just clinches it...

It wouldn't matter what the subject material was... GeoffP, billvon, you Trooper... you would attack Bells for it regardless, just because of your apparent hatred for her.

Ya'll paint it to sound like you believe she deserved to be raped, then when she gets defensive about it, you call her abusive...

Personally, were I in here position, I would probably be a hundred times more angry and violent, considering what just happened to her... especially when you have people like yourselves telling her that, in essence, it is "her fault" or that she somehow asked or let it happen by "not preventing it" or "not using good judgement"...

*shakes head* I'm sorry... but I can really see absolutely no defense for what ya'll are saying...

There's this odd idea shared by some here that either you do absolutely nothing to protect yourself from rape or you mace every guy who looks at you; those are your only two choices.

Do you think there might be a middle ground?

Plenty of people can drive in a straight line while drunk; that's why they get away with it. Does it therefore mean your two choices are:
1) to not wear a seabelt, not be aware of your surroundings and ignore what other drivers do
2) never drive?

I don't think so. I think a more reasonable solution might be to look for the signs you list above - EVEN IF they do not mean you will always be aware of the risk. You might want to wear your seatbelt - EVEN IF that is not a 100% effective protection against being rammed by a drunk driver.

Agreed. But the following signs are good ones to heed: (from the above website)

1) He invades your space
2) He seems distracted: He may ignore your wishes by acting distracted.
3) He wants you alone: He can be subtle about isolating you.
4) He wants you wasted: Alcohol and drugs are a factor in around 90% of assaults.

Okay, great.

So... lets take Bells case for instance, since it's been brought up already.
Did she get the chance to "look for the signs"? Was she intoxicated or drugged? Hell, was she even out in public?

No, it happened in her own home.

Warning signs are great... but trying to blame the victim for being raped, even IF they "missed the warning signs" it ridiculous.

Hell, how about the case back in 2012:

ABC News said:
ABC News
A young Oklahoma mother shot and killed an intruder to protect her 3-month-old baby on New Year's Eve, less than a week after the baby's father died of cancer.

Sarah McKinley says that a week earlier a man named Justin Martin dropped by on the day of her husband's funeral, claiming that he was a neighbor who wanted to say hello. The 18-year-old Oklahoma City area woman did not let him into her home that day.

On New Year's Eve Martin returned with another man, Dustin Stewart, and this time was armed with a 12-inch hunting knife. The two soon began trying to break into McKinley's home.

As one of the men was going from door to door outside her home trying to gain entry, McKinley called 911 and grabbed her 12-gauge shotgun.

McKinley told ABC News Oklahoma City affiliate KOCO that she quickly got her 12 gauge, went into her bedroom and got a pistol, put the bottle in the baby's mouth and called 911.

"I've got two guns in my hand -- is it okay to shoot him if he comes in this door?" the young mother asked the 911 dispatcher. "I'm here by myself with my infant baby, can I please get a dispatcher out here immediately?"

The 911 dispatcher confirmed with McKinley that the doors to her home were locked as she asked again if it was okay to shoot the intruder if he were to come through her door.

"I can't tell you that you can do that but you do what you have to do to protect your baby," the dispatcher told her. McKinley was on the phone with 911 for a total of 21 minutes.

When Martin kicked in the door and came after her with the knife, the teen mom shot and killed the 24-year-old. Police are calling the shooting justified.

"You're allowed to shoot an unauthorized person that is in your home. The law provides you the remedy, and sanctions the use of deadly force," Det. Dan Huff of the Blanchard police said.

Stewart soon turned himself in to police.

McKinley said that she was at home alone with her newborn that night because her husband just died of cancer on Christmas Day.

"I wouldn't have done it, but it was my son," McKinley told ABC News Oklahoma City affiliate KOCO. "It's not an easy decision to make, but it was either going to be him or my son. And it wasn't going to be my son. There's nothing more dangerous than a woman with a child."

She was alone... because her husband had just died. She was in her home - the first person came to the door, she didn't let him in and didn't invite him to stay.

He comes back with a buddy and forces his way into the house...

Was it with the intent to rape her? Who knows... can't say for certain, the bastard is dead... but targeting an 18 year old woman who you have on good authority is alone in her home and "defenseless"... what else would he be after. If it were about theft, they wouldn't do it knowing she was home.

What would you call this? Lust?

When "Common Sense" Equals Advocating for Rapists

Billvon said:

Uh - OK. Do that if you like.

Okay, the first thing we need to clear up is a morbid joke; every once in a while it gets to the point if this sort of Infinite Prevention Advocacy is intended to increase the advocate's chances of getting away with forcing himself on a woman.

And this is why:

Use good judgment in what parties to attend. What to wear. Who to date. What to drink and how much. What to tell people they talk to. How to let people know when they are worried about someone's attention. How to escape risky situations. How to defend themselves.

You need to stop ignoring reality.

Review #145 above. Not only are you presuming women utterly stupid, but you're trying to offer them prevention tips that address the clear minority of rapes in society.

And I ask a question in that post, one you can answer:

What common sense advice does one offer someone deciding whether or not to undertake an endeavor with a better than one in three chance of resulting in rape?​

And that's just intimate partnership. Add in relatives and acquaintances, and you're talking about a risk factor exceeding seventy-five percent.

Yet by your definition, this reality has nothing to do with common sense, which is where your prevention advocacy slips into vicious, ignorant myth.

As I discussed with Bells, just yesterday, your definition of common sense translates to "adherence to unfounded myth" instead of "obvious course according to reliable outcomes".

Common sense, according to reliable outcomes: With a 78% risk of a detrimental outcome, one might well stop and consider whether such an endeavor is undertaking.

Common sense, according to Billvon: A 78% risk of detrimental outcome is irrelevant to common sense, which says, instead, that women are somehow responsible for other people's behavior because of something they wore.

And that's where the morbid joke takes a twist.

Look, most of us aren't going to go out and commit the kinds of rapes you're telling women how to prevent. But the resistance shown by so many men to considering the sorts of rapes they might commit against their wives and girlfriends? Yeah, there comes a point when such determined distraction and deception becomes suggestive.

So tell us, Billvon, please: How can you advocate "common sense" while pretending that the biggest risks women face in this context are irrelevant?

If you really think "common sense" should not only focus solely on aberrant risks, but also specifically discount the most consistent risks in an assessment, it's not really "common sense" you're advocating. Conventional wisdom, maybe. Like the conventional wisdom that Eric Cantor was safe in his primary? Or that we would find a significant WMD program in Iraq? Or perhaps the conventional wisdom in Arkansas, as expressed by a sheriff countenancing the murder of a woman by a known abusive partner: "The question you're asking me is what's wrong with the courts. I'm asking you, what's wrong with the women?"

Or as a state legislator from Arkansas recalled of a push to track protection order violators:

"There were so many cases, over and over, where law enforcement just didn't believe the victim. I had prosecutors tell me that women made this stuff up. It's unfortunately still an environment of—I'm a husband and I think I have the right to beat my wife, if that's what I feel like I need to do. That goes with marital privileges."

Common sense, or conventional wisdom?

And yet, you are so determined to keep pushing this misogynistic excrement, despite evidence showing what's wrong with it.

Here is a good list excerpted from the RadicalRedHead website, from a woman who has been raped and now advocates rape prevention:

=====
1) He invades your space: A potential rapist often invades your space-visually, verbally and physically. The night Brian Hoffman raped me, I noticed he constantly stared at me the entire night. He was visually invading my space.

2) He seems distracted: He may ignore your wishes by acting distracted. Trust me, his hearing is just fine. For example, You tell him youre ready to call it a night but he orders you another drink instead, and then says, "Oh, I thought you said you wanted another." Dont be fooled by this.

3) He wants you alone: He can be subtle about isolating you. If youre getting bad vibes, stick with your group, and make sure you have your own ride home.

4) He wants you wasted: Alcohol and drugs are a factor in around 90% of assaults. Of course this doesn't mean that you are at fault. However, they make you vulnerable and provide an excuse for his behavior.

Doesn't even begin to touch on 78% of rapes.

Furthermore, consider point #1. In a stand-your-ground state, should the RadicalRedHead stand her ground and shoot a man to death for visually invading her space? If that's really what this needs to come to, I'll start a fund to help women buy guns and bullets. But I don't think it needs to go that far. Indeed, if men weren't statistically so dangerous, a woman would have no reason to stand her ground against a guy visually invading her space.

Really, have you thought your arguments through?

And point #4, that a woman might become "vulnerable and provide an excuse for his behavior" is beyond merely suggestive.

There is no excuse, and one cannot be so provided.

In the end, you appear to just be putting the whole thing back onto women.

Stop advocating for rapists, Billvon.

It wouldn't matter what the subject material was... GeoffP, billvon, you Trooper... you would attack Bells for it regardless, just because of your apparent hatred for her.
Ya'll paint it to sound like you believe she deserved to be raped, then when she gets defensive about it, you call her abusive...

?? No one can protect themselves 100%. It's impossible. Taking precautions can reduce but not eliminate that risk, and not taking precautions does not mean that the victim was "responsible" for it. That's absurd.
Warning signs are great... but trying to blame the victim for being raped, even IF they "missed the warning signs" it ridiculous.
Agreed.
She was alone... because her husband had just died. She was in her home - the first person came to the door, she didn't let him in and didn't invite him to stay. . . .Was it with the intent to rape her? Who knows... can't say for certain, the bastard is dead...
Great example. A woman defended herself from a potential rapist. That is a great outcome, and what I hope happens more often. We can accomplish that by better education and training of both sexes.

Stop advocating for rapists, Billvon.
I'm not. I am advocating that women stop them. The example Kitt posted is a good one.

Or are you outraged that that rapist was killed? Does killing rapists not mesh with your "women are helpless victims" approach?

Personally, were I in here position, I would probably be a hundred times more angry and violent, considering what just happened to her... especially when you have people like yourselves telling her that, in essence, it is "her fault" or that she somehow asked or let it happen by "not preventing it" or "not using good judgement"...

*shakes head* I'm sorry... but I can really see absolutely no defense for what ya'll are saying...

I was just being facetious. Bells took it to a dark place.

Bells said:
Fear not, my little poster girl for birth control, you may get your wish soon enough.

The man who raped me 2 weeks ago in my home is out on bail and intent on harming me again. So put on those red shoes and tap them 3 times and make your wish. You might just have it come true. Would you like his phone number so you can cheer him on? You seem like just the type.

Bells said:
As I said, you are just the type to cheer it on.

Trooper said:
You were raped two weeks ago? Did you mention this before and I somehow missed it? That’s an odd way to elicit sympathy, isn't it?

I’ll take your word for it that it happened...and I am truly sorry that it happened to you.

I didn't know that Bells was raped until she made this comment. The search engine isn't working. Where did she first mention this? Do you have the link?

So you agree then that she has a ... somewhat unique perspective on this, yes?

So you agree then that she has a ... somewhat unique perspective on this, yes?

On what exactly , Elliot Rodger's mental condition, whether or not rape is strictly about power and never sex, abortion, or atheism?

I'll ask you again, when and where did she first mention that she was raped?

Keep Making Excuses

Billvon said:

I'm not. I am advocating that women stop them.

And is that because it's not a man's duty to stop himself? Or that he is innately incapable?

Or are you outraged that that rapist was killed? Does killing rapists not mesh with your "women are helpless victims" approach?

I don't know, Bill, are you not smart enough to figure out the difference between choosing a method of protecting oneself and the societal argument that you are obliged to do so?

Consider a male friend of mine. Some years ago, he bought a handgun because he really, really wanted one. Why? He didn't know, but if anyone fucked with him ....

Several years later, he got rid of the gun. He didn't need it. He didn't want it. He had become a walking lethal weapon.

But he chose to study several martial arts and dedicate himself to that path.

So think about it for a moment. If people had better medical knowledge, then doctors wouldn't screw them up with bad prescriptions. Common sense says people should become doctors.

If people had a better comprehension of their computers, they wouldn't get conned into buying malware posing as a cure for malware. Common sense says people should become computer scientists.

If people had a better comprehension of nutrition, many would not be so obese, and thus not live under the elevated threat of heart attack and stroke. Common sense says people should become nutritionists.

Meanwhile, shortly before I met that friend—or, as such, right after I moved to Oregon in 1991—a karate instructor was raped and beaten in the parking lot of her own school.

If a person wishes to become a martial artist, or a marksman, that's great.

But the idea that they should be circumstantially obliged to, so that the ill behaved don't have to behave better?

Sorry, dude. You're advocating for rapists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back