Stun guns and cops.

Should cops use stun guns?

• Total voters
Well well well what do you know? The Baron is actually right for once!

Oh, c'mon, Sam, you don't believe everythig that you read on the Internet, do you? Well, I don't believe it, goddammit!! Must be fuckin' lies, or the Wall Street Journal is just being sensationalist.

I just remembered an incident here in the Dallas area .....a man was pulled over for weaving around on the roads. The cops checked him and found that he'd been drinking, but wasn't really too drunk. But they arrested him, handcuffed him and put him into the squad car. They then waited for the wrecker to come pull the guys car off the highway. When they went back to the squad car, the guy was dead!!

Hey, Sam, are you gonna' rail now against the cops for arresting someone just because they might have a massive heart attack?? ...LOL!

Baron Max

this statement alone proves you have no idea what you are talking about sam.
where's the links to the cases i asked for?
provide links to the cases where cops used tasers "indiscriminately".

I think having the Human Rights Watch and Amnesty looking into it counts as indiscriminate, or didn't you even look at the links?

Sam, c'mon! You're just stirring the pot to see what kind of reaction you get from the guys! Geez, don't you have anything better to do?

Baron Max

Sam, c'mon! You're just stirring the pot to see what kind of reaction you get from the guys! Geez, don't you have anything better to do?

Baron Max

I think its weird that there is no system of checks in place to prevent misuse of power. Any power is corrupting and without a system of checks and balances in place how do you stop people from misusing it?

Or do you have blind faith in the people who administer justice?

Oops timer went off - gotta go!

I think having the Human Rights Watch and Amnesty looking into it counts as indiscriminate, or didn't you even look at the links?
i meant the cases themselves. a person can draw all kinds of conclusions and that is what amnesty did draw conclusions.
was the use of tasers justified?
was the use of force justfied?
what were the circumstances?

of course a criminal will use any excuse he can to get out of going to jail.

p.s.
solely means only.

I think its weird that there is no system of checks in place to prevent misuse of power. Any power is corrupting and without a system of checks and balances in place how do you stop people from misusing it?

Or do you have blind faith in the people who administer justice?

Oops timer went off - gotta go!

You can sue the cops, and you can elect the people that appoint the Chief of Police.

You can sue the cops, and you can elect the people that appoint the Chief of Police.

Who pays when the cops are sued?

And who appoints the Chief of Police?

Has any chief of police ever been held responsible for brutality in cops?

The public pays, but if this happens the cops would probably be fired.

I think the mayor appoints the Chief of Police.

Yes.

edit
oh by the way a taser (stun gun) puts out a grand total of 26 watts.

TASER® Weapons fire 50,000 Volts up to 15 feet, with more stopping power than a .357 Magnum. Absolutely the best non-lethal protection for your home, business and auto. M18 TASER® Weapons provide the ultimate EMD TASER® Weapon technology for law enforcement and civilian personal protection.
http://www.taser.org/

Isn't 50,000 volts excessive?

i meant the cases themselves. a person can draw all kinds of conclusions and that is what amnesty did draw conclusions.
was the use of tasers justified?
was the use of force justfied?
what were the circumstances?

of course a criminal will use any excuse he can to get out of going to jail.

p.s.
solely means only.

I don't think amnesty is "drawing conclusions"
The death of a 54-year-old and the hospitalization of a14-year-old after police stunned them with a controversial weapon last week in Chicago are the latest in a growing number of debatable uses of the potentially deadly Tasers, which is sparking community outrage across the country. The teenager went into cardiac arrest last Monday after police shocked him with the 50,000-volt weapon, and although he survived, another man died after police shocked him on Thursday.

Since June 2001, more than 70 people have died in police custody in the US and Canada after being struck with Tasers, with the number of reported cases rising each year, according to a November 2004 report by Amnesty International, a worldwide human rights organization. In five of these cases, an autopsy found that the Taser shock was a main cause of death. In several others, coroners’ reports identified the Taser as a likely contributing factor.

Additionally, the weapon’s critics maintain that many deaths in which the Taser has not been implicated could, in fact, be related to electrical shock from the device. Amnesty International commissioned a forensic pathologist to review some fatal cases in which Tasers were used. In some cases he found that, in addition to the "official" causes of death, which are often listed as heart failure, drug use, or head injuries, Tasers may have contributed.
People who have been "tased" report extreme, debilitating pain.

The guns typically work by firing a pair of pronged darts that latch onto clothing or skin and send a 50,000 volt shock into the body in five-second bursts, which overrides the subject’s central nervous system, causing uncontrollable contraction of the muscle tissue and instant collapse. The darts are attached to wires, which can reach up to 21 feet. People who have been "tased" report extreme, debilitating pain.

Taser International, Inc. now equips about 135,000 of the nation's one million police and corrections officers, according to Taser founder Thomas Smith. Over the past few years, more than 5,000 agencies in 49 US states have bought Tasers for approximately $1,000 a piece and given the stun devices to officers, often with minimal training.
http://newstandardnews.net/content/index.cfm/items/1486

It's less excessive than a bullet, isn't it?

So 14 year olds and old women in wheelchairs are too much of a challenge for cops to handle?

And for leo:
Occupations more dangerous than being a police officer:

Number of deaths per 100,000 employed Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics, Census of Fatal Occupational Injuries - 2001

Timber cutting: 122.1

Fishermen: 112.1

Airplane pilots: 100.8

Miners: 29.8

Farmers: 28.0

Construction laborers: 27.7

Truck drivers: 25.0

Groundskeepers: 15.0

Laborers (non-construction): 14.2

Ranchers: 13.0

Bus drivers: 12.9

Police and detectives: 11.6

And:
Indeed, a great many police deaths involve traffic accidents or friendly fire.

http://flyservers.registerfly.com/members5/policecrime.com/police_job.html

No, they don't use tazers, but they physically wrestle them down, then inject them with powerful, quick sedatives. Ain't much difference that I can see ....both calm them down pretty damned quickly.

Baron Max
Actually, the taser doesn't always work so quickly. A few years ago, my step-dad was tasered 7 times before shattering one of the cops' jaw, and being wrestled to the ground.
1. Do you know any mentally ill people?
I do.
2. In American hospitals, are mentally ill people tasered by doctors to keep them under control?
Do you know what they do when someone gets probated to go to a mental hospital? You know, when they come pick the person up. When they freak out, it's hardly non-violent.
Crime rates are not solely a reflection on the effectiveness of cops. There are systemic reasons for crime as well.
It's all about money.
What happened to protect and to serve?
We pay them to protect us.
Not bully us.
I have no problems with cops using force, but they are way too cocky.

i take back my 26 watt claim. police use the 18 watt model.

we are talking wattage here sam.
it isn't the voltage that kills it's the current.
i forgot my ohms law but 50,000 volts at 18 watts is a very, very small current.

Hmm so why are people dying?

in the death of the 14 year old the use of force was justified.
it isn't the cops fault the kid acted like he was hot shit.

i've visited the amnesty website, out of all the claims they made i agree with a grand total of one of them and that is where the cops tased an individual strapped to a gurney.

in the death of the 14 year old the use of force was justified.
it isn't the cops fault the kid acted like he was hot shit.

i've visited the amnesty website, out of all the claims they made i agree with a grand total of one of them and that is where the cops tased an individual strapped to a gurney.

So violence is the answer to everything?

If everyone in the US thinks like this its not surprising that people are dodging gunshots for a PS3 :rolleyes:

Back