Splinter: Hating Muhammad

I actually think you're both making valid points, yet neither acknowledging that this is a much more difficult question than we like to think.

If you're going to move to a country I think you ought to be able to adapt to their culture to some degree. In short, you shouldn't expect or demand they adapt to your culture. This gets tricky when it involves law. Traditionally, Europe and North American liberalism tends to push for greater individual freedom. At times they move backwards (sometimes in a huge way... Germany) but the general trend is towards greater individual social choice and opportunity. Which makes things like outlaw Muslim clothing in schools seem contrary to liberal values. However it's equally fair to suggest that the implementation of gender-based clothing, one which so openly aims at restricting individual freedom in a sense, in fact violates liberal values of gender equality. The genders are not yet equal in liberal western countries, but we like to think we're moving further in that direction, not backwards. It's a very difficult balance and Europe is having a hard time adapting to this change.
Why do you insist on spending time in the West which you criticize for its politics and hypocrisy? I think its hypocritical of you. Why don't you just stay in India or other countries like it? If you don't like the West you should do yourself and a favor and stay out of it and be with the democratic, multicultural society that you think is so great. I liked India but I wouldn't want to live there either, one year was enough.
I think this is kind of closed-minded. I do not approve of the Chinese system and have a great many criticisms, yet I will likely live here for a long time. I've learned a lot about the positives of China's system and my stay here has been an excellent learning experience. I welcome people to come to Canada and openly criticize our culture and our politics: Nothing was ever solved by people staying quiet; much improves through debate and interaction. My only caveat is that while you are welcome to criticize, debate and influence our culture so long as you do so while trying to work within it, rather than try to destroy or stay outside. Not only do I think it's basic good manners and good education to be inside of a culture you live around, it also happens to be the best way to influence a culture.

On the other hand, I think Lucy's side over Sam is that certain groups attempt to bring over cultural artifacts that actively work to not only influence our culture but bluntly reject it in all form. There are certain cultural points we see as basically optional - music, hamburgers, hockey (well, may hockey is not optional!) - and others that are the basis of our stability, growth and philosophical base.

I have dreams (wild fantasies) about how good diplomacy could influence China. In those dreams I imagine democracy, movement towards ethnic and gender equality, freedom of religion and the resolution of the Tibet question. In all of these fantasies freedom of press and freedom of religion are the first ones that occur. This is because neither would forcibly destroy the philosophical basis of the national identity. Free press, art and religion were pretty prevalent in China for a good long while, at least relative to the current time. I believe democracy would also foster Chinese culture and philosophy, growth and strength, but it couldn't come quickly or through outside influence. Movement towards equality and resolution of domestic issues would then be natural.

As an immigrant, I don't believe it's my place to push for democracy; it would be too destabilizing at the moment. Free press would eventually lead that way anyway, and I don't believe it would do anything but good for the nation.

So maybe the divide is between things which threaten the philosophical, economic or cultural basis, and those which could simply be molded into the existing culture. That would explain why I and many others couldn't care less if a Muslim woman wants to wear a Burka, yet are displeased with Dutch Muslims demanding the removal of all images of Mohammad: the Burka could just become another piece of fashion in my country and I wouldn't care; some Muslim groups pushing for a law that reflects the basis of their culture (religious observance) rather than the basis of my culture (freedom of expression) is just too far. This might be a workable line in the sand, though there are bound to be odd cases that come up and are not so easy to analyze.

My only caveat is that while you are welcome to criticize, debate and influence our culture so long as you do so while trying to work within it, rather than try to destroy or stay outside.
I should add; you are also obliged to learn about the culture in which you now live. This goes for anything you'd like to criticize as a more general rule, but is also true out of respect for your new hosts. As an ex-pat in China there is nothing I find more shameful than the representation westerners put forward as essentially unwilling to learn shit about their new surroundings. All of my colleagues except one has learned just about nothing and can barely order their dinner in the language. Frankly, if you live in a country for six years and never pick up the language to a conversational level, you're keeping yourself extremely isolated from your new culture. I don't understand how or why these people act in such a way, but it makes me feel sad to be a westerner. When I return to Canada, I swear I will never make fun of another Chinese person for learning no English or French in Canada; white people are exactly as bad if not worse.

Hows the food Tyler? Have you had the sticky rice with the fermented eggs?

The food is mixed. Some of it I find really exceptional and could eat for years and be quite happy. Some of the very popular food, however, is absolutely god awful. I've never seen a cuisine so inept at making deserts, nor a snack industry so overly sweet. And I've been to America, so you know when I accuse the food of being the most sweet, it's got to be pretty nuts.

I tried the century eggs in a dim sum meal once in Guangzhou, the capital of dim sum meals. I didn't like it. But that's not surprising as I've generally been unimpressed by dim sum. Sichuan, Hunan, Yunnan and other western Chinese foods are all much more agreeable to my tastes. The Muslims - as they do worldwide - make fantastic and cheap food. Apparently the Jews who immigrated 1000+ years ago and have become more or less assimilated into Chinese culture also make a wonderful mix of middle eastern/chinese cuisine, but I've not had the opportunity to try.

There is probably nothing more insulting or shocking in China than responding to the question "so how do you like Chinese food?" with anything other than "it's obviously the greatest in the world". I still receive massive disappointment, looks of shock and disgust every time I point out that I prefer Indian, French and Italian food to Chinese. (Imagine how they react when I choose to say I like Japanese food more!)

In short, China's like any other country. Except for France and Italy every country I've been too has a lot of crappy food and some really great food. France and Italy just exist on a plane all to their own. I've also never had anything short of stellar out of Indian food, but I haven't lived in India so I can't really comment on the standards inside the country.

We could force them to stop drinking and eating pork to conform to our norms, but it is not only against our religion to force others, but it is intolerant and increases ethnic strife.

Yet, your cult perfectly accepts to extort monies from other cults simply because they are not Muslims, which IS intolerance and increases ethnic strife.

The West can learn much about religious and ethnic harmony from the Muslim world.

Yet, all that is observable in the Muslim world are lies, corruption and hypocrisy.

Muslims, Christians, and people of other religious have lived in complete harmony for nearly 1500 years. It's not tolerance, but mutual respect.

And the Crusades were merely a Monty Python skit. Mutual respect does not mean one group extorts money from the other because of their beliefs.

Aww, you're really pissed, eh? :p

Does it matter? Maybe I'm married and adventurous. Maybe I'm trisexual [I'll try anything], maybe I'm a nun with cobwebs between my legs.

Does that change any of the points we are addressing?

So if it doesn't change the points we are addressing what difference does it make whether I choose to date western men or not?

Why don't you date non-muslim men Sam? Why not white men? Why wouldn't you date a jewish person? Why not answer these questions? When I tried to deal with the subject at hand you thought you could grill and judge, so yes I am curious why only a light skinned morrocan? What's wrong with black men?

YOu know I have decided to use your red herring straw man tactics.

The food is mixed. Some of it I find really exceptional and could eat for years and be quite happy. Some of the very popular food, however, is absolutely god awful. I've never seen a cuisine so inept at making deserts, nor a snack industry so overly sweet. And I've been to America, so you know when I accuse the food of being the most sweet, it's got to be pretty nuts.

I tried the century eggs in a dim sum meal once in Guangzhou, the capital of dim sum meals. I didn't like it. But that's not surprising as I've generally been unimpressed by dim sum. Sichuan, Hunan, Yunnan and other western Chinese foods are all much more agreeable to my tastes. The Muslims - as they do worldwide - make fantastic and cheap food. Apparently the Jews who immigrated 1000+ years ago and have become more or less assimilated into Chinese culture also make a wonderful mix of middle eastern/chinese cuisine, but I've not had the opportunity to try.

There is probably nothing more insulting or shocking in China than responding to the question "so how do you like Chinese food?" with anything other than "it's obviously the greatest in the world". I still receive massive disappointment, looks of shock and disgust every time I point out that I prefer Indian, French and Italian food to Chinese. (Imagine how they react when I choose to say I like Japanese food more!)

In short, China's like any other country. Except for France and Italy every country I've been too has a lot of crappy food and some really great food. France and Italy just exist on a plane all to their own. I've also never had anything short of stellar out of Indian food, but I haven't lived in India so I can't really comment on the standards inside the country.

Thats interesting. I've had some pretty good dim sum prepared by a Chinese colleague as well as in New York, but my favourite is the hot pot. I also like the crispy duck. I asked about the sticky rice and fermented eggs because I went for a Chinese buffet once where all the Chinese [and my Korean friend] were relishing it and I thought it was gawd awful. :(

Indian food is not a single cuisine, so it would depend on what kind of food you like. We use different spices and oils in different parts of the country and the ubiquitous curry found abroad is almost absent in local restaurants [some high end ones have the curries since they cater to foreign clientele]. Basic Indian food is simple and un-fussy, made with a bare minimum of spices and cooking. Only the Muslim and Punjabi food is exotic, heavily spiced and cooked for hours.

YOu know I have decided to use your red herring straw man tactics.

I asked you that because you complained about the unintegrated immigrants only marrying their own kind. I just thought it was hypocritical of you. As for me, I have dated Hindus, Christians, Jews, Muslims, white, black and brown. I don't do casual so I date infrequently. I liked the Moroccan because he made me laugh, when he didn't anymore I dumped him. It had nothing to do with what he was, just who he turned out to be.

I never complained that they were only marrying their own kind. Now go and find that post or retract the statement.

I am sick of you lying about posts, meaning of posts and content and context of posts.

here:

Lucy said:
Why is it they only marry each other?

http://www.sciforums.com/showpost.php?p=2281379&postcount=286

I'm done with you now. As far as I can see, I have agreed with you that yes, the European countries are not ready to integrate with other cultures, they want to maintain their own "like us or out of here" community and they are entitled to do so. They are also entitled to discard people born in their countries for reasons of culture or religion since they feel threatened by them. They are entitled to define the kind of community they want.

I am not mandated to approve of their choices.

This was the quote in context concerning whether the muslim community in Blackburn is ethnocentric and xenophobic which is what you were saying about Danes:

"Actually I am now to think that its the muslims who are being xenophobic and ethnocentric. If they are open to other people why do they live all together in their own communities? Why don't they want to integrate with non muslim whites? Why are they threatened by a white woman walking through their streets as was shown in the Panorama video? Why is the pakistani flag being flown in their neighborhoods and not the union jack or both pakistani and english flags? Why is it they only marry each other? Why don't they send their kids to integrated schools?

Its absolutely unfair of you to describe Europeans as ethnocentric and xenophobic and not address it in immigrants."

I NEVER COMPLAINED ABOUT MUSLIMS MARRYING MUSLIMS. ASSHOLE. AND LIAR.

You wouldn't know anyone else point of view because it would mean removing your head from inside your ass

So if they marry only each other they are being ethnocentric or xenophobic?

Sam did that question come in isolation or was it posited along with other questions from observation of the community in question?

Its the one I addressed. I could address the language, dress, customs etc in totality if you like.

Note that I have no objection to people marrying "each other", its the norm in India for practical reasons since it requires less compromises, less adjustment and has a probability of greater success as a marriage. I would find it equally odd if a Pakistani who only dates other Pakistanis were to comment on people marrying only their own kind.

Perhaps you should decide what exactly it is you object to and why. I think you are trying to accomodate views you don't normally hold and this makes you defensive.

Its the one I addressed. I could address the language, dress, customs etc in totality if you like.

Note that I have no objection to people marrying "each other", its the norm in India for practical reasons since it requires less compromises, less adjustment and has a probability of greater success as a marriage. I would find it equally odd if a Pakistani who only dates other Pakistanis were to comment on people marrying only their own kind.

Perhaps you should decide what exactly it is you object to and why. I think you are trying to accomodate views you don't normally hold and this makes you defensive.

No Sam, you claimed that the west was xenophobic and ethnocentric. I used your argument to prove that this group shows all the signs of a xenophobic and ethnocentric community unwilling to integrate.

You misrepresent my views Sam its this I object to. Like I said find a post were I complain about mixed-marriage, inter-racial relationships or miscegenation.

You don't want to address ANY of the points I made as a matter of fact you didn't even answer the question which is typical of you.

I used your argument to prove that this group shows all the signs of a xenophobic and ethnocentric community unwilling to integrate.

Since I do not see people unwilling to marry people with different values as unwilling to integrate [see for example Jews in India], maybe your perspective is alien to me.

You don't want to address ANY of the points I made as a matter of fact you didn't even answer the question which is typical of you.

I've heard this complaint often. In my view I answered the question. Perhaps I should learn what people expect to see in my responses :shrug:

Last edited:
Since I do not see people unwilling to marry people with different values as unwilling to integrate [see for example Jews in India], maybe your perspective is alien to me.

No Sam the topic is integration not who marries whom which as usual you take some minute point and make it the focus of discussion. Why did you not address all the other questions I asked? Why only that one if it isn't for the fact you are trying to paint me as either a racist or someone who believes in exclusivity? My point to reiterate is that immigrants have a responsibility to integrate into the new society they wish to be a part of and that nations have a right to set standards if they so wish.

If you disagree fine but don't try and paint me with some straw man argument, that simply shows a weakness of position or unwillingness to debate honestly.

My point to reiterate is that immigrants have a responsibility to integrate into the new society they wish to be a part of and that nations have a right to set standards if they so wish.

If you disagree fine but don't try and paint me with some straw man argument, that simply shows a weakness of position or unwillingness to debate honestly.

Oh no, I agree completely that communities and nations have a right to set standards. I simply choose to disagree with the choices that I find offensive to me as someone who believes that everyone should have the freedom of religion and expression [so long as they do not harm anyone] without being threatened with eviction.

Where and when did I say or anyone say anything about taking away freedom of religion and expression? How does integration lead to taking away freedom of religion and expression? These are not my arguments so I want to know why you are addressing them with me, hell they are not even the arguments of Denmarks right.

This has become a circular argument. I don't see a point emerging here. Do you?

Back