Splinter: Hating Muhammad

Thats a great benefit. Its why the Jews would fight alongside the Muslims.

wanna follow the money trail in cordoba?

"Islam has a proud tradition of tolerance. We see it in the history of Andalusia and Cordoba during the Inquisition" (obama in cairo)

whats he talking about?
did i pay municipal as well as infidel taxes?

By the time 'Abd al-Rahman reached Spain, the Arabs from North Africa were already entrenched on the Iberian Peninsula and had begun to write one of the most glorious chapters in Islamic history.

After their forays into France were blunted by Charles Martel, the Muslims in Spain had begun to focus their whole attention on what they called al-Andalus, southern Spain (Andalusia), and to build there a civilization far superior to anything Spain had ever known. Reigning with wisdom and justice, they treated Christians and Jews with tolerance, with the result that many embraced Islam. They also improved trade and agriculture, patronized the arts, made valuable contributions to science, and established Cordoba as the most sophisticated city in Europe.

By the tenth century, Cordoba could boast of a population of some 500,000, compared to about 38,000 in Paris. According to the chronicles of the day, the city had 700 mosques, some 60,000 palaces, and 70 libraries - one reportedly housing 500,000 manuscripts and employing a staff of researchers, illuminators, and book binders. Cordoba also had some 900 public baths, Europe's first street lights and, five miles outside the city, the caliphal residence, Madinat al-Zahra. A complex of marble, stucco, ivory, and onyx, Madinat al-Zahra took forty years to build, cost close to one-third of Cordoba's revenue, and was, until destroyed in the eleventh century, one of the wonders of the age. Its restoration, begun in the early years of this century, is still under way. (link)

SAM said:
It worked very well in India.
? By what criteria? The bloody establishment of Pakistan, Bangladesh, Kashmir, Sri Lanka? The fact that no particular ethnic group has any advantage in plumbing, and there are (or were, until the dreaded forces of cultural hegemony moved in) fifty different systems of weights and measures in daily use?

That's about how it "worked" in the US, until we finally ended up in a civil war.

Incapability is not virtue.

Last edited:
i resent being lumped along with the islamic devils
my sinhalese ancestors, 2500 years ago, massacred only a few veddah tribes to colonize lanka
furthermore, it is well established that our hydraulic civilization was par none at its peak

ja
flush toilets, bitches

Last edited:
gustav said:
i resent being lumped along with the islamic devils
my sinhalese ancestors, 2500 years ago, massacred only a few veddah tribes to colonize lanka
furthermore, it is well established that our hydraulic civilization was par none at its peak
We speak of current affairs, and the rubble of tragedies witness to what some term "tolerance".

? By what criteria? The bloody establishment of Pakistan, Bangladesh, Kashmir, Sri Lanka? The fact that no particular ethnic group has any advantage in plumbing, and there are (or were, until the dreaded forces of cultural hegemony moved in) fifty different systems of weights and measures in daily use?

That's about how it "worked" in the US, until we finally ended up in a civil war.

Incapability is not virtue.

Let me rephrase that. It worked very well to assimilate immigrants in India. The "bloody" establishment of Pakistan etc was a product of divide and rule which has been normative of every society the British dipped into. Plumbing is still a problem in many places, which has more to do with the GDP dropping from 20% of global to 3% under the British than any ethnic characterisation [just invested a tidy sum in Reliance Infrastructure] and there are still several systems of weights and measures, which happily coexist.

wanna follow the money trail in cordoba?

I believe this was where the minorities self administered and the Jews received arms to protect themselves; otherwise known as the Golden Age of Jews in Spain. N'est-ce pas?

Thats interesting. I've had some pretty good dim sum prepared by a Chinese colleague as well as in New York, but my favourite is the hot pot. I also like the crispy duck. I asked about the sticky rice and fermented eggs because I went for a Chinese buffet once where all the Chinese [and my Korean friend] were relishing it and I thought it was gawd awful.
Yeah it really sucks. I've enjoyed some parts of dim sum meals, but in general it's not for me. Hot pot is good, I just have a problem with paying so much for me to do all the work! The best food I've had in China has been out in the mountain towns of the west. Fresh vegetables picked off the side of snow-covered mountains and meat that was literally prepared that very day! Of course, small towns always seem to have better food. Crispy duck - or you may mean Beijing Roast Duck (北京烤鸭) as well - is fantastic.
Indian food is not a single cuisine, so it would depend on what kind of food you like. We use different spices and oils in different parts of the country and the ubiquitous curry found abroad is almost absent in local restaurants [some high end ones have the curries since they cater to foreign clientele]. Basic Indian food is simple and un-fussy, made with a bare minimum of spices and cooking. Only the Muslim and Punjabi food is exotic, heavily spiced and cooked for hours.
Of course not, nor is Chinese or French, but we still use the general term "Indian food" for relative ease. Hell, at least English speakers are better than Chinese, who simply refer to "Chinese food and Western food". Apparently no one else makes food and the West only has one type!

The Punjabi food is certainly the favoured, and it is remarkable. But I happen to be a big fan of 'peasant food' in many nations - the rural Italians eat some of the greatest stuff ever - and the Indians seem to do it quite well. Persians and Afghanis as well. Israel also happens to make some damn fine food, though it's more international than strictly traditional, and typical "Jewish" cuisine is basically just an offshoot of eastern European fare - but also really good.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I love food!

It was used in lieu of military service, which was compulsory for Muslims. Only able bodied men paid jizya. It was also used for maintenance of religious structures of non-Muslims. Muslims paid for the maintenance of their own structures, usually through the community [not included in zakat, which is compulsory religious tax for all Muslims and separate from civic payments]

No, I didn't ask if it was extortion, we've already established that. What benefit is there to the one who is being extorted?

29. Fight against those who believe not in Allâh,nor in the Last Day, nor forbid that which has been forbidden by Allâh and His Messenger and those who acknowledge not the religion of truth (i.e. Islâm) among the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians), until they pay the Jizyah with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued.

if you (a wannabe arab) islamics attain world domination, would the above stricture be followed?

Both Arabic reports referring to the period of the Umayyad and Abbasid caliphs, and Judeo-Arabic documents from the 11th century show that the authorities used very harsh methods in collecting the jizya, imposing it even on those exempt from paying by virtue of the sharī ʿ a (the canon law of Islam). Under the first caliphs the punishment of those who had not paid the jizya consisted of pouring oil on their heads and exposing them to the sun. Many extant *Genizah letters state that the collectors imposed the tax on children and demanded it for the dead. As the family was held responsible for the payment of the jizya by all its members, it sometimes became a burden and many went into hiding in order to escape imprisonment.(link)

is that what is in store for me, sam? i thought you were my friend

/sob

Last edited:
What? People didn't follow the law? Just think of it as collateral damages. Justifies everything. :p

So, who is paying it now?

We speak of current affairs, and the rubble of tragedies witness to what some term "tolerance".

in that case, there was no "bloody establishment" of sri lanka. independance came and went with nary a squeak. there were however reactionary and adversarial policies that were subsequently enacted that gave rise to a separatist movement

Wow, we've gone from genocide to taxes ....

or vice versa.....

/smirk

close to half a mill

so ahhh...it is conceptually and factually possible if terms are extracted from current context and treated in isolation

pardon
i am bored

Last edited:
Back