Some logic for both sides...

I am not paranoid or defensive, but you need to be aware of the fact that lots of non-theists take offense at the absolute way in which many theists (including yourself) express their beliefs.

i just hope it's not necessary for me to preclude every sentence with "i think" in order to be understood. i mean, can't anything be a given. and you need to be aware that non-theists make a lot of assumptions about theists that in my case, are not the case. it gets so tiring and futile having to argue about semantic and assumptions. i would really rather share ideas about the topics.

I cannot have any arguments against a God that equals existence, my only question would be: Why call it God ?

why not? it has an identity. i do think it's weird or almost erroneous to refer to him as a "him", as it implies that he's human in a way. he's a being, he's a spirit, he's a force. and actually, he's a human too. he has a human body...

why not? it has an identity. i do think it's weird or almost erroneous to refer to him as a "him", as it implies that he's human in a way. he's a being, he's a spirit, he's a force. and actually, he's a human too. he has a human body...

...? Then why not refer to god as a him? but if god=existence then how can he be refered to as a gender specific being? is god a male?

Lori would you please give us your definition of 'God' and 'creation' for discussions sake ?

i don't think i can define either. i mean, i know what i'm familiar with through my experience, but that's probably not much compared to what they involve.

...? Then why not refer to god as a him? but if god=existence then how can he be refered to as a gender specific being? is god a male?

i don't know. is it necessary for him to have a gender? as far as i know that's only necessary for sex. i don't think god has sex. well, i think he did when he was a human, but...

"he" is often used as a gender neutral or ambiguous way, instead of using "it".

i don't know. is it necessary for him to have a gender? as far as i know that's only necessary for sex. i don't think god has sex. well, i think he did when he was a human, but...

I know you don't mean it, but you are funny :D

But we are said to be made in his image and likeness. So he must have one or two genders.

I know you don't mean it, but you are funny :D

well good, i like to make people laugh. but really, i'm serious about jesus. i do think that jesus had sex. that he was married to mary mag and they had a baby, and so he has a bloodline. i think that's the secret of the holy grail.

But we are said to be made in his image and likeness. So he must have one or two genders.

well, we're all on the spectrum somewhere of masculinity vs femininity. i was on another thread and someone said something about him being a woman and a man. one in the beginning and another in the end. maybe they meant that he was both depending on the circumstance or what he happens to be doing.

well, we're all on the spectrum somewhere of masculinity vs femininity. i was on another thread and someone said something about him being a woman and a man. one in the beginning and another in the end. maybe they meant that he was both depending on the circumstance or what he happens to be doing.

I've worked it out. The father and son are masculine, so the holy spiriy must be feminine.

I think they wrote a fictional book that was made into a movie about that .....

the davinci code, yeah. the storyline was fictional, but the information about the holy grail was researched. lots of people consider it a hobby to research, and there have been numerous books written about it. there were scriptures left out of the bible that refer to jesus kissing mary on the lips. maybe in the gnostic texts, i don't know. but honestly, how deft do you really have to be to not understand who mary mag was even according to the bible we're used to reading? it always stupifies me when people want to think of it otherwise.

I've worked it out. The father and son are masculine, so the holy spiriy must be feminine.

well good for you! what are your assumptions? that to be a father or a son you have to be man, and to be that voice in someone's head you have to be a woman? i'd buy that, cause you know that women never shut the f*#k up.

well good for you! what are your assumptions? that to be a father or a son you have to be man, and to be that voice in someone's head you have to be a woman? i'd buy that, cause you know that women never shut the f*#k up.

You made me laugh out loud. Good one !

originally posted by lori_7:
i do. i blame god for everything. it's true...everything is his fault. but that doesn't get you out of making choices.

but if god is to be blamed for setting up adam and eve just so his agenda would be carried out, how can that be right or much of a choice? Also, the Bible says that God doesn't tempt any man.

The point is, if God equals existence, 'he' doesn't have an identity.

Btw. I think they refer to God with 'him' in the bible though, and you just referred to God using the word 'he' six times in a row.. :shrug:

i just hope it's not necessary for me to preclude every sentence with "i think" in order to be understood.
I really think it would be good to do that if you are expressing views that, according to your own beliefs, have a major impact on to ones you are saying it to. On top of that, what you are saying are assumptions too..

i mean, can't anything be a given.
No, nothing is a given until at least proven plausible.

and you need to be aware that non-theists make a lot of assumptions about theists that in my case, are not the case.
I am aware of that.
What are those assumptions ?

it gets so tiring and futile having to argue about semantic and assumptions. i would really rather share ideas about the topics.
You forget that this is a science forum..
If you are going to share ideas then be prepared to at least come up with some sort of factual basis or evidence.

Back