samcdkey on Islam

lightgigantic said:
Then what is the relationship between this manifested world and the desire of Allah (or at the very least the Quran) - In other words what does the insistence of obedience to a set of codes indicate about this world - is it essentially for us? Is it essentially god's - and also raises the question about god - why does god exist? Does he exist for us or do we exist for God? (Who is the master and who is the servant?)

The point which I am failing to make is that God put man on earth to explore His creation. The message of Islam is not to explore the nature of God (since the nature of God is beyond the capabilities of man), but to explore the nature of creation.

We exist for ourselves. Islam is an individualistic religion. All our efforts are aimed at self-fulfillment through achievement. Achievement is through exploration of creation. We have free will with only two boundaries: the natural laws which govern the universe and moral laws which are required for preservation and sustenance of society. They include personal responsibility and accountability, towards self, family, society and nature. The Quran lays down codes of behaviour for every conceivable instance in life; these are meant to guide man in his quest for knowledge. Personal fulfillment is achieved through faith, charity and worship.

The existence of God is for worship. And worship is through work.

But how does this relate to your above statement that its not the purpose of islam to encounter the nature god? How can worship of god be equated with meddling in an infitite series of relative truths that bear no clear connection to the creator?

It is not meddling to explore the glory of creation and to unravel its mysteries. Islam stresses on the importance of knowledge through reason and within the bounds of social ethics.

As for the connection with the Creator, well it is all his creation, so is that not a connection?

didn't mean to be intimidating - I guess my philosophical sophistication is just a good cover for hiding my personal faults - actually I owe my education in philosophy to the fools that one is likely to encounter on this forum - stick around in the seams of religious debate long enough and you can also be one of the apparently "learned elite" I guess

Nah! I prefer to use my feminine wiles! ;)

This verse seems to espound the valour of choosing the right thing over the wrong thing - doesn't say much to me about form/less

Why would they use the word "face" to suggest he has no form?

So what is exactly in their eyes? Of course the word "see" can mean many things, like "do you SEE my point" - and it seems to hold this signification in all languages - but it always involves a clear object of reference(In other words qualities or characteristics are involved that enable one to be sure one is seeing the right thing as opposed to the wrong thing) - What are the qualities or characteristics that would distinguish right seeing from wrong seeing

So allah hears - doesn't that imply at least consciousness? I mean you can't say that a microphone hears because it has no conscious facility to process what it is "hearing" - obviously god's "hearing" is not the same as sound going down a rabbit hole

Ditto here - not only is he hearing but now he is seeing as well

How does this hold with allah having no form? How do you reconcile these references?

You miss the point; these are similes to get the point across, just as parables attempt to convey a religious message. They do not refer to actual ears or eyes, they attempt to explain the all pervasive nature of God, as part of the universe and yet separate from it.
(BTW is the word "he" actually there in the original Quran or is it a convenience of english?)

Whenever in the Qur’an Allah is mentioned in the third person there are always singular pronouns used, such as He, him (Huwa or Hu). Whenever Allah is spoken to in the second person there are also singular pronouns, such as Thou, Thine and Thee (Anta, Ka). However only in the first person some times the pronouns I, My or Mine (Ana, Iyaya, ya) are used and sometimes We, Us and Our (Nahnu, Na) are used.

Last edited:
“Read! In the Name of your Lord, who created (all that exists); created man from a drop. Read! And your Lord is the Most Generous” (Qur’an 96:1-3).

This seems to say something about my earlier q's about the perspective on how the living entity relates to god

However there is also the caution to allow disbelievers in Islam their own form of worship.

Say: "Disbelievers! I do not worship what you worship nor do you worship what I worship. I shall never worship what you worship You have your own religion and I have mine." (109:1-6).
Does it say anything about the destinations of persons who are not worshipping god or gods differently? In the vedas theer are a myriad of destinations available, but they all come within the range of the material creation, ie temporary hells and heavens - if one wants the eternal realm than that requires the complete attraction to god through his service - and that's why it is advocated that it is not such an easy thing (one can make gradual advancement over many millions of lifetimes) so therefore there is a sliding scale represented in the vedas, like a ladder with diferent rungs of "noble" activities culminated in pure unmotivated devotional service to the personal form of god

“ (BTW -How do you relate to the concept of loving god? What do you make of rumi? ) ”

"Those who truly believe love God the most." 2:165

The worship of God in Islam is best accomplished through faith and charity.

"It is not righteousness that you turn your faces towards the East and the West, but righteous is the one who believes in Allah, and the Last Day, and the angels and the Book and the prophets and gives away wealth out of love for Him (God) to the near of kin and the orphans and the needy and the wayfarer and to those who ask and sets slaves free and who is instant in prayer, and giveth the alms; and those who fulfil their promise when they promise, and the patient in adversity and affliction and in time of violence, these are they who are true..." 2:177

So charity etc is established as noble, and even as a symptom of one loving god, but is teher are more clearer scriptural quote that clearly establishes that charity etc is the topmost

In BG there is
: Arjuna inquired: Which are considered to be more perfect, those who are always properly engaged in Your devotional service or those who worship the impersonal Brahman, the unmanifested?

BG 12.2: The Supreme Personality of Godhead said: Those who fix their minds on My personal form and are always engaged in worshiping Me with great and transcendental faith are considered by Me to be most perfect.

and

For those whose minds are attached to the unmanifested, impersonal feature of the Supreme, advancement is very troublesome. To make progress in that discipline is always difficult for those who are embodied.

BG 12.6-7: But those who worship Me, giving up all their activities unto Me and being devoted to Me without deviation, engaged in devotional service and always meditating upon Me, having fixed their minds upon Me, O son of Pṛthā — for them I am the swift deliverer from the ocean of birth and death.

which distinguishes between charity etc done for god and charity done for the sake of charity

further more there are character references so one can distinguish whether one is a cheap worshipper and a sincere one

One who is not envious but is a kind friend to all living entities, who does not think himself a proprietor and is free from false ego, who is equal in both happiness and distress, who is tolerant, always satisfied, self-controlled, and engaged in devotional service with determination, his mind and intelligence fixed on Me — such a devotee of Mine is very dear to Me.

BG 12.15: He for whom no one is put into difficulty and who is not disturbed by anyone, who is equipoised in happiness and distress, fear and anxiety, is very dear to Me.

BG 12.16: My devotee who is not dependent on the ordinary course of activities, who is pure, expert, without cares, free from all pains, and not striving for some result, is very dear to Me.

BG 12.17: One who neither rejoices nor grieves, who neither laments nor desires, and who renounces both auspicious and inauspicious things — such a devotee is very dear to Me.

BG 12.18-19: One who is equal to friends and enemies, who is equipoised in honor and dishonor, heat and cold, happiness and distress, fame and infamy, who is always free from contaminating association, always silent and satisfied with anything, who doesn't care for any residence, who is fixed in knowledge and who is engaged in devotional service — such a person is very dear to Me.

BG 12.20: Those who follow this imperishable path of devotional service and who completely engage themselves with faith, making Me the supreme goal, are very, very dear to Me.

What is the last day? What is the angle on angels? (or for that matter the natur e of living entities beside humans and gods (higher beings /lower beings)?

Rumi was a Sufi mystic.

Dervishes—the name given to initiates of Sufi orders—believe that love is a projection of the essence of God to the universe. They believe God desires to recognize beauty by looking at himself within the dynamics of nature. Divine love is not restricted to what the term "love of God" implies, it also includes human loves with a perspective that views everything a manifestation of God.

So what is the difference between the love of two persons and a person who loves god - also its not clear to me how the concept of love can be applied to god unless there is some "object of beloved" ie clear cut distinction between the person offering the love and the person receiving it - ie reciprocation betwen two persons - like for instance we can say " I love the sky" but it would maybe be more accurate to say we are in awe of the sky or something because the framework for love doesn't exist between teh sky and a person
Are the same concepts, or even the general thread of loving allah carried through to other strains of islam - is a muslim expected to "love" allah - in those exact words (Maybe I could be chasing red herings if the word for love in the original got saddled with this english translation )

The central doctrine of Sufism, sometimes called Wahdat or Unity, is the understanding of Tawhid: all phenomena are manifestations of a single reality, or Wujud (being), or al-Haq (Truth, God). The essence of being/Truth/God is devoid of every form and quality, and hence unmanifested, yet it is inseparable from every form and phenomenon either material or spiritual. It is often understood to imply that every phenomenon is an aspect of Truth and at the same time attribution of existence to it is false. The chief aim of all Sufis then is to let go of all notions of duality, therefore the individual self also, and realize the divine unity.
Any clues on the nature of that unity?
There is a similar notion in the vedas called simultaneous oneness and difference, like heat is simultaneously one with the fire (it is a direct effect of fire, ie its existence is contigent on the fire) yet it is different from the fire (ie it is distinct - you can qualify the heat and conceive of it as a seperate phenomena from the fire) - in other words there is no question of seperating the heat of the fire from the fire, but you can distinguish between the two on a conceptual level (seperate the cause from the effect)
So to say that the material beauty is somehow simulaneously one with yet different from the beauty of god, what does that mean to you(or maybe you don't work out of the sufi paradigm)
- inother words what constitues the reality of this world and what constitutes the illusion?

No, like I said God has no image in Islam, so I'm guessing dandruff is out.

Thats a good sign :)

“ Brahman is eternity - the realm of brahman is described as the brahmajyoti and its qualities are where the knower, the object of knowledge and knowledge itself are the same thing - in other words thyere is no concept of individuality - other places it is described as merging into a light. ”

Thats interesting. There is a verse in which a parable is used to describe God as light.

God is the Light of the heavens and the earth. The Parable of His Light is as if there were a Niche and within it a Lamp: the Lamp enclosed in Glass: the glass as it were a brilliant star: Lit from a blessed Tree, an Olive, neither of the east nor of the west, whose oil is well-nigh luminous, though fire scarce touched it: Light upon Light! (24:35)
The light of impersonal brahman is accepted as the effulgence from the body of god - inother words it is transcendental - what do you make of the light upon light thing from the koran?

“ Of the 5 types of liberation one is to enter the brahmajyoti, but this is refered to as the crocadile mouth of liberation - because there is no opportunity for the loving service of god in the brahmajyoti (its all homogenous) - even though the brahmajyoti is eternity - it is not an eternal abode for liberation because the living entity cannot eternally reside in an abode that is bereft of engagement - so the idea is that a living entity, upon attaining the brahmajyoti, falls down to the material world since they are einevitable attracted to the inferior atmsphere due to a lack of engagement. ”

Why are there 5 types of liberation (is this what is called as Mukti)?
they are different environments of liberation- the following is taken from a q/a thread on liberation at
http://www.veda.harekrsna.cz/bhaktiyoga/philosophy.htm

salokya--living on the same planet; sarsti--having the same opulence; samipya--to be a personal associate; sarupya--having the same bodily features; ekatvam--oneness; api--also; uta--even; diyama--nam--being offered; na--not; grhnanti--do accept; vina--without; mat--My; sevanam--devotional service; janah--pure devotees.

A pure devotee does not accept any kind of liberation--salokya, sarsti, samipya, sarupya or ekatva--even though they are offered by the Supreme Personality of Godhead.

and also

My devotees, who are always satisfied to be engaged in My loving service, are not interested even in the four principles (***remember the first one is rejected because it offers no opportunity for service - and service = love***) of liberation [salokya, sarupya, samipya and sarsti], although these are automatically achieved by their service. What then is to be said of such perishable happiness as elevation to the higher planetary systems?
Its kind of like when you order a meal at a restaurant you don't have to say "can I please have that on a plate" because it is atomatically assumed that a meal must come on a plate - similarly, for one who already achieves the devotional service of the LOrd there is no question of desiring liberation because one operates automatically on the platform of liberation - inother words whether a devotee is in a material heaven or hell, or even the eternal spiritual realm, it makes no difference - of course this is a very exulted position, and the genral rule, particularly for persons struggling with illusion like myself, is that they should develop the desire to attain the spiritual realm (since at the moment we tend to think there is more value in god's illusory energy) - but this information is given so we canknow what is the perfectional stage of religion.

God is defined as Truth in the Quran. The search for God (i.e. truth) is the pursuit of Knowledge (by the study of creation) which is incomplete unless it is utilised in Action (or the application of knowledge to make a better, more fulfilling life).
How does studying the creation of god lead to knowledge or convictionof god's existence? I was trying to raise this q earlier - inother words what is the applicaion of knowledge aspect in islam.

In the vedas there are three break downs of knowledge - sambandha, abhidea and praojana (a paradigm that can be applied to any field of knowledge), namely knowledge of relationships, application and the fruit of application (or in this sense the goal of life) - so the first is the theoretical knowledge taht one is constitutionally an eternal servant of god (despite whatever one has or will do under the pushings of illusion) - the application is devotional service to god (beginning with hearing and chanting and leading to serving) - and the goal is love of godhead

“ Maybe I explained that above, unless my weakness as an academic, namely the ability to render simple things incomprehensible, got the better of me. ”

Nah, I have it on good authority that I'm witless. Don't worry, I've lost touch with Hindu philosophy and there are so many concepts, I want to be sure I'm not confused.
Actually popular hinduism has degenerated to an orthapraxy rather than an orthodxy - inothewords there is no philosophical basis and it has become more an issue of put your flowers here put your incense there pay your obeisnaces here and put your coin in the box over there - in other words there is no phlosophy and it has become more an issue of doing the ritual correctly to determine one's religious success.

“ So if you are faced with two or more options, and all of them are technically within the folds of scriptural injunctions, how do you allocate one option as composed of superior value to another (even if it just for the sake of your own personal life)? ”

By consultation:

"(Believers are those) who run their affairs by consultation among themselves." (42:38)

"And consult them (O Prophet) in matters (of public concern)." (3:159)

ho do you consult? what if there is no one to consult?

“ Maybe we could saturate this thread in theistic discussion for a change ”

Good idea.

Ignoring Q was a good idea - it would great if there was an ignore option for threads - so you can ignore certain people on certain threads
In case you were curious he hasn't really got anything new to say

“ Originally Posted by lightgigantic
Then what is the relationship between this manifested world and the desire of Allah (or at the very least the Quran) - In other words what does the insistence of obedience to a set of codes indicate about this world - is it essentially for us? Is it essentially god's - and also raises the question about god - why does god exist? Does he exist for us or do we exist for God? (Who is the master and who is the servant?) ”

The point which I am failing to make is that God put man on earth to explore His creation. The message of Islam is not to explore the nature of God (since the nature of God is beyond the capabilities of man), but to explore the nature of creation.

To what ends? In otherwords what's the summum bonum of such an examination of the world? In other words is there a conclusion in the koran? Is there a vision of the nonsoluable objective conclusion, or is it sufficient for everyone just to make as much sense of it as they are capabale?

We exist for ourselves.

Then what role does god play in relationship to ourselves?

Islam is an individualistic religion.

so is vaishnavism

All our efforts are aimed at self-fulfillment through achievement. Achievement is through exploration of creation.

What is that achievement? How is it qualified? Is it sufficient that I chalk up my own terms of achievement and measure by success/failure by my own standards?
Yuo sem to be saying that the material world is created to help us achieve something specific and I am trying to milk you for what is the nature of that specification - scriptural quotes would help.

We have free will with only two boundaries: the natural laws which govern the universe and moral laws which are required for preservation and sustenance of society.

Obviously physical laws command obedience but can't moral laws be broken by free will?

They include personal responsibility and accountability, towards self, family, society and nature. The Quran lays down codes of behaviour for every conceivable instance in life; these are meant to guide man in his quest for knowledge. Personal fulfillment is achieved through faith, charity and worship.

The existence of God is for worship. And worship is through work.

So whats the difference between a person who does their work/charity very nicely and a person who does the same but has a higher sense of feeling for god? Also how does the koran cater for the myriad of social responsibilities presented through society - for instance, according to the BG, it is sinful for a brahman to fight, but it is sinful for a king not to fight (whichis why god, krishna, is encoraging arjuna to fight - lol - )

“ But how does this relate to your above statement that its not the purpose of islam to encounter the nature god? How can worship of god be equated with meddling in an infitite series of relative truths that bear no clear connection to the creator? ”

It is not meddling to explore the glory of creation and to unravel its mysteries. Islam stresses on the importance of knowledge through reason and within the bounds of social ethics.

Who does the unravelling? If the unravelling doesn't lead to god how is it glorious? is it expected that an individual come to a certain conclusion of examination of creation or it expected that society gains and advances more and more closer to the conclusion of examination as time goes on - or does the unravelling bear no signifigance and is just meant to keep us occupied until some later point in the linear progress of time?
Or is theer some suggestion that the end result of the unravelling mystifies even allah?
The vdas say that both god and the material creation is unknowable (knowable only to god), but of the two one can know enough about god to at least come to the point of liberation and thus make one's life perfect (knowledge of material things, per see, leads to a maze of relativity)- in otherwords examination of the material creation is only valuable to the degree that it empowers one to become more conscious and devoted to the creator (in other words science with out a sense of the absolute is a waste of time)

As for the connection with the Creator, well it is all his creation, so is that not a connection?

So it is held that the mateial world and the living entity is contingent on god?

“ didn't mean to be intimidating - I guess my philosophical sophistication is just a good cover for hiding my personal faults - actually I owe my education in philosophy to the fools that one is likely to encounter on this forum - stick around in the seams of religious debate long enough and you can also be one of the apparently "learned elite" I guess

Nah! I prefer to use my feminine wiles!

It will probably open more doors for you

You miss the point; these are similes to get the point across, just as parables attempt to convey a religious message. They do not refer to actual ears or eyes, they attempt to explain the all pervasive nature of God, as part of the universe and yet separate from it.

But what is that separate nature? What would be the point of establishing god's ears and eyes if he doesn't have identity? Is god greater than the sum parts of his creation? If god willed that his creation disappear or be annhilated could he will it back? Is he completely independant (once again these q's are a hair breadth away from form - or at the very least consciousness - does god have a sense of I - like is there any transcripts of Allah communicating with the prophet with the use of "you" and "I"? -

Whenever in the Qur’an Allah is mentioned in the third person there are always singular pronouns used, such as He, him (Huwa or Hu). Whenever Allah is spoken to in the second person there are also singular pronouns, such as Thou, Thine and Thee (Anta, Ka). However only in the first person some times the pronouns I, My or Mine (Ana, Iyaya, ya) are used and sometimes We, Us and Our (Nahnu, Na) are used.

Does allah distinguish between himself and other living entities?
Its not uncommon to find upanisadic references to impersonal brahman as "we" rather than a "you" "I" "he" etc

Basically this is where I am in comprehending islam

Some parts of islam seem to fit the idea of brahman (obviously)
Some parts seem to fit the idea of paramatma distinction beween god and the living entity)
Some parts seem to fit the idea of bhagavan (love)
:confused:

tghanks lightgigantic

i hope all is good with you.

Please could we have a summary of your above 2 posts....

thanks mate

O dearest LG!!

I have classes and research!

I'm going to answer in bits and pieces.

lightgigantic said:
Ignoring Q was a good idea - it would great if there was an ignore option for threads - so you can ignore certain people on certain threads
In case you were curious he hasn't really got anything new to say

Don't let me stop you and sam from indulging your fantasies and pushing the envelopes of your imaginations - fill yer boots. It's really quite hilarious.

Mind you, my neck is getting a little sore from shaking my head so much.

(Q) said:
Mind you, my neck is getting a little sore from shaking my head so much.

My poor darling! I hate to see you suffer so much. :(

Here's a good substitute:

arniebobbin.gif

Last edited:
Zakariya04 said:
Hello LG,

i hope all is good.

the summary would be great though.

I guess Sam doesn't mind you hijacking her thread

Basically the Q's are where does it say that allah has no form in the Koran?

How do you explain us having form and Allah not?

Of course there are heaps more but this might get the ball rolling

lightgigantic said:
I guess Sam doesn't mind you hijacking her thread

Basically the Q's are where does it say that allah has no form in the Koran?

How do you explain us having form and Allah not?

Of course there are heaps more but this might get the ball rolling
Hello LG

i hope all is ok with you and thank you for your response.

off the top of my head I dont have clue where it says that.

Well i suppose it depends on what you call form, whether it be this crude matter we find ourselves in or whether it is something far higher than we can comprehend. we are of crude physical human form.....

Zakariya04 said:
Hello LG

i hope all is ok with you and thank you for your response.

off the top of my head I dont have clue where it says that.

Well i suppose it depends on what you call form, whether it be this crude matter we find ourselves in or whether it is something far higher than we can comprehend. we are of crude physical human form.....
A slightly different response than what I got from Sam .....

anyway

So allah does or does not have form?

Does allah have qualities?

Is allah a person?

In otherwords is allah a transcendental supremely potent person or something like an energy?

HEy LG

Thank you for your response

I really dont know, i have not studies this enough to give youi a complete pciture.

i dotn think ihave the mental capacity to decipher what form God takes?

i will look into this soon and get back to you maybe..

or alternatively sam can carry on

lightgigantic, I don't know why anyone would want to be a Hindu. Even Hindus don't want to be Hindus.

Anyway can you answer some questions for me? why does your god steal clothes of bathing virgins and them ask them to come out nude out of the water so he can see their stuff. What kind of a god does that? :confused:

Anyway I advice you to watch this:http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-1724090453457058535&q=Zakir+Naik+Hinduism

It answers most of your questions!

Last edited:
Muslim said:
lightgigantic, I don't know why anyone would want to be a Hindu. Even Hindus don't want to be Hindus.

Anyway can you answer some questions for me? why does your god steal clothes of bathing virgins and them ask them to come out nude out of the water so he can see their stuff. What kind of a god does that? :confused:

I doubt that you are an actual muslim.

I have seen on the "Who's on line" link that you spend a lot of time on the threads that are spammed with pornographic links.

Where does allah say that the perfection of life is to pass semen like niagra falls in front of a VDU?

Zakariya04 said:
HEy LG

Thank you for your response

I really dont know, i have not studies this enough to give youi a complete pciture.

i dotn think ihave the mental capacity to decipher what form God takes?

i will look into this soon and get back to you maybe..

or alternatively sam can carry on

I appreciate you taking the time to give a credible response - definitely better than spouting off some nonsense from the top of your head

:cool:

predator_190 said:
to samcdkey.
what is the islamic view on those who are not muslims,or those who r not monotheist?

There are four levels of believers/nonbelievers in Islam

1. muslimeen - those who follow Islam

According to the Quran a Muslim (Submitter) is:

"Who can utter better words than one who 1) invokes GOD, 2) works righteousness, and says, 3) "I am one of the Submitters"?" (41:33)

"…My Lord, 1) direct me to appreciate the blessings You have bestowed upon me and upon my parents, and 2) to do the good works that please You. Let my children be righteous as well. 3) I have repented to You; 4) I am a Submitter." (46:15)

"Say: 'I have been given divine inspiration that your god is One god. Will you then Submit?" (21:108)

2. mumineen - monotheists

According to Quran:
"Therefore, you shall devote yourself to the religion of monotheism. Such is the natural instinct placed into the people by GOD. Such creation of GOD will never change. This is the perfect religion, but most people do not know." (30:30)

3. mushrikeen - idolators
4. kafireen - non-believers

According to Islam, only God can decide which is which.

Surely, those who believe, those who are Jewish, the Christians, and the Sabians; anyone who (1) believes in GOD, and (2) believes in the Last Day, and (3) leads a righteous life, will receive their recompense from their Lord. They have nothing to fear, nor will they grieve. (Qur'an 5:69)

As to how Muslims should behave towards non-believers:

There is no compulsion in the religion; Truth stands out clear from error; so whoso disbelieves in idols and believes in God, has laid hold of the most firm handle, which cannot break; and God is Hearing, Knowing. Al-Quran (2:256)

"Invite to the way of thy Lord with wisdom and beautiful preachings, and argue with them in a way that are best and most gracious" (QURAN 16:125)

Quran says in Ch. 109 "Say to those who reject faith. I will not worship what you worship, nor will you worship what I worship. I will not be worshipping what you want me to worship, Nor will you worship that which I worship. To you be your way, and to me my way"

Quran says in [6:108] "Revile not ye those whom they call upon besides God, lest they out of spite revile God in their ignorance. Thus have We made alluring to each people its own doings. In the end will they return to their Lord, and We shall then tell them the truth of all that they did."

Did I answer your question?

i have Question.
what is your comment on the following considering what you wrote in this topic:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taqiyya

"In Shi'a Islamic as well as Druze tradition, Taqiyya (التقية - 'fear, guard against')[1] is the dispensation allowing believers to conceal their faith when under threat, persecution or compulsion. It is based on Qur'an 3:28 and 16:106 as well as hadith, tafsir literature, and juridical commentaries.[2] Some Sunnis assert that Taqiyya is an act of hypocrisy that serves to conceal the truth. According to them, Taqiyya constitutes a lack of faith and trust in God because the person who conceals his beliefs to spare himself from danger is fearful of humans, when he should be fearful of God only."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_extremist_terrorism#Interpretations_of_the_Qur.27an

Soon shall We cast terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers, for that they joined companions with Allah, for which He had sent no authority: their abode will be the Fire: And evil is the home of the wrong-doers!" 3:151

"How many a township have We destroyed! As a raid by night, or while they slept at noon, Our terror came unto them. No plea had they, when Our terror came unto them, save that they said: Lo! We were wrong-doers." 7:4-5

"Remember thy Lord inspired the angels (with the message): 'I am with you: give firmness to the Believers: I will instil terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers: smite ye above their necks and smite all their finger-tips off them.'" 8:12

"Against them make ready your strength to the utmost of your power, including steeds of war, to strike terror into (the hearts of) the enemies, of Allah and your enemies, and others besides, whom ye may not know, but whom Allah doth know. Whatever ye shall spend in the cause of Allah, shall be repaid unto you, and ye shall not be treated unjustly." 8:60

"Lo! those who disbelieve spend their wealth in order that they may debar (men) from the way of Allah. They will spend it, then it will become an anguish for them, then they will be conquered. And those who disbelieve will be gathered unto hell,"8:36

"But when the forbidden months are past, then fight and slay the Pagans wherever ye find them, an seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem (of war); but if they repent, and establish regular prayers and practise regular charity, then open the way for them: for Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful."9:5

"Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book, until they pay the Jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued." 9:29

"And the Jews say: Ezra is the son of Allah, and the Christians say: The Messiah is the son of Allah. That is their saying with their mouths. They imitate the saying of those who disbelieved of old. Allah (Himself) fighteth against them. How perverse are they!" 9:30

"And the True Promise draweth nigh; then behold them, staring wide (in terror), the eyes of those who disbelieve! (They say): Alas for us! We (lived) in forgetfulness of this. Ah, but we were wrong-doers!" 21:97

"He it is Who hath sent His messenger with the guidance and the religion of truth, that He may make it conqueror of all religion however much idolaters may be averse."61:9

"On the Day when (some) faces will be whitened and (some) faces will be blackened; and as for those whose faces have been blackened, it will be said unto them: Disbelieved ye after your (profession of) belief ? Then taste the punishment for that ye disbelieved."3:106

"Lo! Those who disbelieve Our revelations, We shall expose them to the Fire. As often as their skins are consumed We shall exchange them for fresh skins that they may taste the torment. Lo! Allah is ever Mighty, Wise." 4:56

"And fight them until persecution is no more, and religion is all for Allah. But if they cease, then lo! Allah is Seer of what they do." 8:39

"O Prophet! Exhort the believers to fight. If there be of you twenty steadfast they shall overcome two hundred, and if there be of you a hundred (steadfast) they shall overcome a thousand of those who disbelieve, because they (the disbelievers) are a folk without intelligence." 8:65

"Lo! those who disbelieve, among the People of the Scripture and the idolaters, will abide in fire of hell. They are the worst of created beings."98:6

"Say: (It is) the truth from the Lord of you (all). Then whosoever will, let him believe, and whosoever will, let him disbelieve. Lo! We have prepared for disbelievers Fire. Its tent encloseth them. If they ask for showers, they will be showered with water like to molten lead which burneth the faces. Calamitous the drink and ill the resting-place!" 18:29

"These twain (the believers and the disbelievers) are two opponents who contend concerning their Lord. But as for those who disbelieve, garments of fire will be cut out for them; boiling fluid will be poured down on their heads,Whereby that which is in their bellies, and their skins too, will be melted;And for them are hooked rods of iron.Whenever, in their anguish, they would go forth from thence they are driven back therein and (it is said unto them): Taste the doom of burning." 22:19-22

predator_190 said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_extremist_terrorism#Interpretations_of_the_Qur.27an

Soon shall We cast terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers, for that they joined companions with Allah, for which He had sent no authority: their abode will be the Fire: And evil is the home of the wrong-doers!" 3:151

"How many a township have We destroyed! As a raid by night, or while they slept at noon, Our terror came unto them. No plea had they, when Our terror came unto them, save that they said: Lo! We were wrong-doers." 7:4-5

"Remember thy Lord inspired the angels (with the message): 'I am with you: give firmness to the Believers: I will instil terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers: smite ye above their necks and smite all their finger-tips off them.'" 8:12

"Against them make ready your strength to the utmost of your power, including steeds of war, to strike terror into (the hearts of) the enemies, of Allah and your enemies, and others besides, whom ye may not know, but whom Allah doth know. Whatever ye shall spend in the cause of Allah, shall be repaid unto you, and ye shall not be treated unjustly." 8:60

"Lo! those who disbelieve spend their wealth in order that they may debar (men) from the way of Allah. They will spend it, then it will become an anguish for them, then they will be conquered. And those who disbelieve will be gathered unto hell,"8:36

"But when the forbidden months are past, then fight and slay the Pagans wherever ye find them, an seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem (of war); but if they repent, and establish regular prayers and practise regular charity, then open the way for them: for Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful."9:5

"Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book, until they pay the Jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued." 9:29

"And the Jews say: Ezra is the son of Allah, and the Christians say: The Messiah is the son of Allah. That is their saying with their mouths. They imitate the saying of those who disbelieved of old. Allah (Himself) fighteth against them. How perverse are they!" 9:30

"And the True Promise draweth nigh; then behold them, staring wide (in terror), the eyes of those who disbelieve! (They say): Alas for us! We (lived) in forgetfulness of this. Ah, but we were wrong-doers!" 21:97

"He it is Who hath sent His messenger with the guidance and the religion of truth, that He may make it conqueror of all religion however much idolaters may be averse."61:9

"On the Day when (some) faces will be whitened and (some) faces will be blackened; and as for those whose faces have been blackened, it will be said unto them: Disbelieved ye after your (profession of) belief ? Then taste the punishment for that ye disbelieved."3:106

"Lo! Those who disbelieve Our revelations, We shall expose them to the Fire. As often as their skins are consumed We shall exchange them for fresh skins that they may taste the torment. Lo! Allah is ever Mighty, Wise." 4:56

"And fight them until persecution is no more, and religion is all for Allah. But if they cease, then lo! Allah is Seer of what they do." 8:39

"O Prophet! Exhort the believers to fight. If there be of you twenty steadfast they shall overcome two hundred, and if there be of you a hundred (steadfast) they shall overcome a thousand of those who disbelieve, because they (the disbelievers) are a folk without intelligence." 8:65

"Lo! those who disbelieve, among the People of the Scripture and the idolaters, will abide in fire of hell. They are the worst of created beings."98:6

"Say: (It is) the truth from the Lord of you (all). Then whosoever will, let him believe, and whosoever will, let him disbelieve. Lo! We have prepared for disbelievers Fire. Its tent encloseth them. If they ask for showers, they will be showered with water like to molten lead which burneth the faces. Calamitous the drink and ill the resting-place!" 18:29

"These twain (the believers and the disbelievers) are two opponents who contend concerning their Lord. But as for those who disbelieve, garments of fire will be cut out for them; boiling fluid will be poured down on their heads,Whereby that which is in their bellies, and their skins too, will be melted;And for them are hooked rods of iron.Whenever, in their anguish, they would go forth from thence they are driven back therein and (it is said unto them): Taste the doom of burning." 22:19-22

The verses revealed in Medina are topical, and were revealed in the midst of war with the Qureysh pagans (the unbelievers). They are specific to the occasion (which can be easily made out if the WHOLE verse is read, instead of the one line).

No time to do that, but if you search the archives, I've discussed them in other places.

They are also used by the terrorists as you can read in the Wiki page.

To understand the Quran, it is not enough to read one line here and there.

You must read the whole Quran, with the understanding of when and under what circumstances the verses were revealed. They were all revealed at particular times and have different significance under different context.

e.g. this is the fight where the Meccans were reportedly 1000 to every 100 of Mohammeds troops and were still defeated.

Last edited:
Back