Religious Intolerance

Have we as humans become so far distracted from the purpose and joys of living our lives that we have to demoralize the purpose and joys of others? Live and let live. Act only out of self-preservation and not in accusation.

To which planet are you referring? Bizzaro world, perhaps? :bugeye:

Believers.

And how is that living your own life? I'm a believer but I sure as hell don't tell anyone else what to believe. So called "believers" tell people that because they read it in a book and they are apparently codependent and don't trust god, probably because they don't know him, and want to scare people into "believing" what they do. Its probably why they "believe" in the first place. Lots of people say they believe things that they really don't know and therefore cannot understand.

You believe in God because it's in a book, even if you have chosen to adopt a more independent attitude. Modern religious people seem to recognize that religious texts are no longer accurate or viable, so they have a more liberal view, but the book is where it all comes from. If you believe in God, it's not much of a stretch to study (and believe) the texts of people who also claimed to know Him.

You believe in God because it's in a book, even if you have chosen to adopt a more independent attitude. Modern religious people seem to recognize that religious texts are no longer accurate or viable, so they have a more liberal view, but the book is where it all comes from. If you believe in God, it's not much of a stretch to study (and believe) the texts of people who also claimed to know Him.

I don't believe in god because its written down somewhere that I should and I don't believe because of antone else's testimony or because I'm afraid not to. I believe in god because he rocked my world.

I don't believe in god because its written down somewhere that I should and I don't believe because of antone else's testimony or because I'm afraid not to. I believe in god because he rocked my world.

You didn't invent the idea.

I could not disagree more. Religion is not a neutral thing like a gun, that depends on the intent and actions of it's owner. Religion actually causes bad things to happen.

Huh? Care to explain that to me? I mean, it seems to me that a person's religion is very, very much like a person's hundgun! Neither one of them "force" the owner/believer to actually DO anything ...the gun as well as the religion is perfectly neutral as I see it.

... I feel a responsibility to argue for rationality, since the opposite can result in the end of humanity. ...

Hmm, so you're saying exactly what the OP was suggesting ...that you ARE intolerant of the religious beliefs of others. Shame on you, Spider. :D

Baron Max

1. Religions tend to command certain actions in response to certain circumstances. Killing your children if they disrespect you, for instance. They are not neutral. They use the fear of eternal torture to get people to conform. In many circumstances, religious rules are enforced by the laws of the land like Sharia. In the US, it's true that there is no particular compulsion (unless you are a minor) to participate in religious practices.

2. I'm not all that tolerant of religious ideas, but I am tolerant of religious people. I recognize the danger isn't exactly immediate, so it's not like it's necessary to arrest religious people or take away their rights. It's a long term struggle. My weapon is only words.

Why would it be irrational for humanity to end?

I'm not saying that it would be rational or irrational for humanity to end, only that I feel having it continue is a worthy goal, and rationality is more likely to get us there.

I'm not saying that it would be rational or irrational for humanity to end, only that I feel having it continue is a worthy goal, and rationality is more likely to get us there.
Worthy?

Does this mean WORTH is not defined by rationality?

What then is it defined by?

-=-

No 1 has the right to believe I should suffer horribly for eternity for not being caught in the wake of their absurd cruel fantasy. I do not, can not & should not respect such belief.
No 1 has the right to believe I should believe in things without evidence & that I'm a fool for not doing so & that I should be persecuted for not doing so. I do not, can not & should not respect such belief.

Last edited by a moderator:
If religion itself is considered immoral or wrong and thus causes bad deeds, please explain the various texts in the various scriptures that express compassion?

Bible Quotes:
Lev. 19:17 "`Do not hate your brother in your heart. Rebuke your neighbor frankly so you will not share in his guilt. 18"`Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against one of your people, but love your neighbor as yourself."

Lev. 19:33 "`When an alien lives with you in your land, do not mistreat him. 34The alien living with you must be treated as one of your native-born. Love him as yourself, for you were aliens in Egypt.

Num. 14:17 "Now may the Lord's strength be displayed, just as you have declared: 18`The LORD is slow to anger, abounding in love and forgiving sin and rebellion. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation.' 19In accordance with your great love, forgive the sin of these people, just as you have pardoned them from the time they left Egypt until now."

Qur'an quotes:
"O unbelievers, I serve not what you serve and you are not serving what I serve, nor am I serving what you have served, neither are you serving what I serve. To you your religion, and to me my religion!"

"…and do good (to others); surely Allah loves the doers of good". (2:195)

"Allah does not forbid you to deal justly and kindly with those who fought not against you on account of religion and did not drive you out of your homes. Verily, Allah loves those who deal with equity."

"And My Mercy embraces all things" (7:156)

There are many more! But my point is that those who do believe in a religion have the option to live in these teachings of compassion instead of in those of violence and bigotry. That is why I say that is in the hands of the individual. Again, you cannot blame the religion for the acts of the religious.

Please explain the plethora of scriptures which express intolerance, apathy, violence & hate.

Back